Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

recurring dream concept - unfinished education

Share your dreams with other Dream Moods visitors. Puzzled about the meaning of your dream? Submit it here and see if anybody can help.

recurring dream concept - unfinished education

Postby eug » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:45 pm

I have been having a recurring dream (just the concept) for about 5 years now. It happens maybe up to 3x a year. The dream settings, the look are always different but the concept remains the same. In the dream, I am back in my last sem in college. (I'm now 47 years old.) And always for some reason, I am having difficulty attending classes and finishing my course. In about 40-50% of the times I experience the dream, it comes to a point in the dream where I say to myself something like, "shit, this is not real. I already have 2 masters/graduate degrees in real life." And the dream ends. ( I have an MBA and a Masters in finance).

Last night, a strange variation occurred. This time it was my MBA that I couldnt finish on the last sem. First try, I wasnt able to attend the last sem because my father passed away. (He really did last May.) next sem, I wasnt able to attend because my mom was hospitalized. (which really happened after my dad passed away.) Third try for last sem and I was only able to attend the last few days of class and I needed another sem. This time I dont remember why I wasnt able to attend.

Weird.
eug
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: recurring dream concept - unfinished education

Postby TenderLC » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:00 pm

eug,
It seems to me that you are reliving the frustration of not being "present" for something that you feel you didn't learn. Passing the course is one thing, but actually getting a specific message is another. There may be something in the day(s) before that triggers this, like a feeling that you ignored some message, comment, or whatever and then the dream occurs. In other words this may not be about school per se, but about some social or psychological thing you overlooked and still feel the need to return to pick it up again. One for instance might be resolving in your emotions the loss you experienced when your folks passed on. Clearly you realize that what was in the course has been picked up. Could it be mourning, something you wished to have said to you Mom and Dad?
Well, that's my two cents worth. What do think about this now?
TenderLC
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby eug » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:14 pm

That seems to make some sense. I was not really able to choose well what I wanted to take for college. Part of it was due to my Dad kind of always wanting just two options for me and hence I was not able to really considder the other options well. I never told this to my Dad because I dont really want to blame him and I am relatively ok now (I guess) with my career in finance. Maybe I still have some frustrations that I never really got the chance to logically consider my options back then. But of course, it was thru this career path that I met my wife and that I now have a happy marriage and a wonderful daughter. thank TLC
eug
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby TenderLC » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:21 pm

Nothing like success, eug. Just curious, what were the two options you had in mind?

Going over these more consciously might chase away this dream of yours, or it could change it to something else. Perhaps you might dream what it would be like to have taken those courses instead.
TenderLC
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby eug » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:35 pm

my dad always told me to be either a pilot like him or a doc like my mom. i heard it too often so I took something general - business. hehe. I was never really that much aware of other college and career options (lawyer? engineer? architect?) I later went into banking and then shifted to corporate finance. I guess I've been somewhat successful. I was even able to turn around a company which was unprofitable for almost a decade and get it p[rofitable and then publicly listed. However, truth is (now that I think about it), I really still don't know what I really want. (probably another frustration I need to get over and accept)
eug
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby TenderLC » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:44 pm

OR, try soft studies of whatever you are curious about. You don't have to think about it as another career, but just enjoy the exploration and let your curiosity take you wherever your mind can take you. You may feel like you lost yourself somewhere along the way, but really you've always been here, just distracted by education and career. In the dream It seems now that is what you were looking for by dreaming that dream. Best wishes.
TenderLC
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby eug » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:51 pm

thanks again!
eug
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Return to General Dream Discussion