Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Struggling with Religion

This forum is dedicated to topics of spirituality, spiritual growth, self awareness and religious beliefs. Share your ideas and insights on spirituality and personal enlightenment.

Struggling with Religion

Postby Strider » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:23 am

I've been questioning my faith for a long time. I don't know what I really believe in anymore, ya' know?

My Dad died when I was really young, and I believed in heaven and hell and God whole-heartedly until then. Then I moved and I vaguely remember my mom talking to my sister and I about church. I told her I didn't believe in God, and fuck, I was only seven or eight. I live in a house with religious people, so I know the thought was my own. She yelled at me and I haven't brought up the subject since.

I don't really talk about this much with my family anymore, save for my younger sister. I want to believe in it, but I just...I can't. Something just doesn't sit right with me when I say that I believe, but it doesn't sit right either when I say I'm an Athiest. Thought, when asked nowadays about it I say I'm an Athiest.

I have a cross that I wear that says faith, but to me, most of the time it's just piece of jewelry.

Has anyone else had this probablem?
GOING DOWN WITH THIS SHIP

When I thought that I fought this war alone
We were one with our destinies entwined
Strider
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Re: Struggling with Religion

Postby The Eagle » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:52 pm

hi, firstly i would say it is ok to question - i believe everyone should question. secondly i would say its ok not to know. you have to find beliefs that sit right with you - for you are the only true judge of what they will be.

a question for you. you say you "want to believe" but what is the reason you want to believe? is it truly for you - or is it because you feel you should believe?

there are many christians on this site that will give you good advice on how to reconnect with the beliefs should you wish to try. all i would say is dont be scared of believing something different if it doesnt sit right with you.
The Sun is Life, The Moon is Magic
The Eagle
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Tryptamine Serpentine » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:16 pm

Strider wrote:I told her I didn't believe in God, and fuck, I was only seven or eight. I live in a house with religious people, so I know the thought was my own. She yelled at me and I haven't brought up the subject since.

I don't really talk about this much with my family anymore, save for my younger sister.

I've lived similar experiences and I continue to not discuss religious matters with my family. There's a lack of worthwhile conversations because of this in my case but I'm okay with that; if you're fine with not engaging your family in open conversation related to religion/ideology, then leaving them out of your inquiry into these subjects may be a viable option.

Strider wrote:I want to believe in it, but I just...I can't. Something just doesn't sit right with me when I say that I believe, but it doesn't sit right either when I say I'm an Athiest. Thought, when asked nowadays about it I say I'm an Athiest.

As Eagle said be open, question and explore different ideas and see what 'sits' best with you. BTW, Atheism and belief in an afterlife aren't mutually exclusive.
Tryptamine Serpentine
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby jojo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:01 am

Strider wrote:I've been questioning my faith for a long time. I don't know what I really believe in anymore, ya' know?

My Dad died when I was really young, and I believed in heaven and hell and God whole-heartedly until then. Then I moved and I vaguely remember my mom talking to my sister and I about church. I told her I didn't believe in God, and fuck, I was only seven or eight. I live in a house with religious people, so I know the thought was my own. She yelled at me and I haven't brought up the subject since.

I don't really talk about this much with my family anymore, save for my younger sister. I want to believe in it, but I just...I can't. Something just doesn't sit right with me when I say that I believe, but it doesn't sit right either when I say I'm an Athiest. Thought, when asked nowadays about it I say I'm an Athiest.

I have a cross that I wear that says faith, but to me, most of the time it's just piece of jewelry.

Just be a spiritual person without being too religious, know what I mean? Follow the parts you like and understand as still being a part of you, in time it will fall into place easier.
It isn't something that should be forced, should just be and if they push explain why they shouldn't.
The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away.
jojo
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Strider » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:07 am

Thanks, guys.

I guess i want to believe so that i feel that I have something. It feels like I'm lying to myself though. I don't mind not talking with my family because they'll just try and force what they believe on me.

Strider
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby KRSTYSTLCLR » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:34 pm

Im kind of struggeling with the same thing. I understand how you feel.
KRSTYSTLCLR
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Strider » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:44 am

Nice to know I'm not alone. :D

Strider
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby DRLHyper » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:31 pm

Maybe you do not need not religion/spirituality at all?

Why do you want to believe in something?
"Spirituality" is a code word of sorts: "I have a confession to make — I believe in God! I'm so sorry!" - "Your 'science' cannot explain my transcendental experiences!" - "I'm a quack. Give me all your money."
DRLHyper
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Strider » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:01 am

I guess so i have something to believe in besides science. I'm definitely for the scientific theories. It could be because i was raised to believe in a God, and Jesus and all that. I just sometimes feel like i need to believe. My mother makes me go to church still, much to my despise.

Strider
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby DreamNerd » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:27 am

I'm Agnostic. I don't believer there is a way of knowing if there is or isn't God(s). My family is also religious, so I've never told them, however, I respect their beliefs, and if they don't respect yours, then tough luck for them. Everybody has the right to believe anything you want, don't let anybody push you into believing, something that you don't.
Rules are meant to be broken. What's the point of living, if somebody else is only telling you what to do?
DreamNerd
Part Time Dreamer
Part Time Dreamer

Postby Strider » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:04 pm

I'd like to be Agnositic but I don't like being stuck in the middle. I don't think I respect enough godly theories to qualify anyway. I don't believe the whole arc thing happened, I don't think the red sea was parted, I don't believe Jesus was magically concieved by Mary with a Holy Ghost or any of that bible-spouted crap. It's just something I can't wrap my head around.

Strider
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby DRLHyper » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:50 pm

I am Agnostic because the Deist theory makes sense, and the Big Bang can not be empirically proven.
"Spirituality" is a code word of sorts: "I have a confession to make — I believe in God! I'm so sorry!" - "Your 'science' cannot explain my transcendental experiences!" - "I'm a quack. Give me all your money."
DRLHyper
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby akasha » Sat May 05, 2012 3:56 am

There came in my life where I was so confused on what to believe and everything that's happening in my personal life was just not right and seems chaotic.
When I was young,I wasn't even studying yet,I asked my mom where did God come from?I mean when was really the start of time?How did he created Himself? you know questions like that lingers in my mind until I grow up.When I was young my mom would teach me how to pray and then we would be always be praying the rosary too.We go to church every Sunday.

But things changed when I was a teenager,there was a time that I doubted.I'm still lucky though,because my mom isn't like any parent who's a hardcore religious person who would yell or punish me from contradicting or believing differently.
I'm still a believer though,but in a different way.I guess those paranormal stuffs that I have experienced ever since I was young did lead me to investigate more about those things happening to me.I know it sounds crazy for a lot of people.
I've been reading different materials about different beliefs and it did helped me to know what I should believe in and answered questions in my life,and this belief that I hold now aligns with my common sense and reasoning.For me that's all that matters not what other people's judgment about who and what I am because of what I believe in.

Being religious is different from being spiritual,when you're religious you follow a certain dogma,scripture or tradition then you will be labeled as Christian,Hindu,Buddhist,Taoist etc. etc. But being spiritual is different,you need not to follow a certain religion,actually you don't even care if someone belongs to another religion as long as that person helps you grow to become a better person.Being spiritual is internal, it relates to one's soul,knowing who you really are.Remember the short saying from philosophers like Plato,"Know thyself".

I think what this world need is respect.For me people should do good things not because they wait for a reward in this life or in the next life but we should do good things because that is the right thing to do not because of some promise or reward that will be given.

I dunno if you're familiar with Enuma Elish,but it's quite interesting especially the resemblance of the story of the flood to the story of the flood during the time of Noah.And also those gnostic scrolls which were so called lost books of the Bible,the book of Enoch and the dead sea scrolls, which were all not in the Bible.At a certain point in Rome,there was a reformation, in Christianity and some books were removed even church fathers have different opinions during those time.
This really caught my attention and how others claim that Jesus went to Tibet and India during the time of his so called lost years which were not written in the Bible.I even read that Jesus was called Nabi Isa by the Hindus.

Oh well this is too long :lol: ,I hope you find what you're looking for,just like what they say to each their own.BTW I believe in science too and it's just too fascinating how people are discovering a lot of things from this world. :)
If one does not understand a person, one tends to regard him as a fool.
-Carl Jung

I'd rather have a mind opened by wonders than a mind closed by religion.
akasha
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby LifeChanges » Mon May 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Strider wrote:I've been questioning my faith for a long time. I don't know what I really believe in anymore, ya' know?

You story is similar to mine. Mom passed when I was young. My dad is a religious fanatic. After I got into my 20's I really started to question why I should believe. I took a world religions class in college that really opened my eyes to all the different view points. It got me thinking why is my god better than yours? I started to read all kinds of books on religion then officially declared myself an atheist. That left a big void in me and invited loneliness. I'd been raised to be Christian and went from one end of the spectrum to the other. That leads to a lot of confusion and questions. Now I'm not so sure. I don't say I'm Agnostic, I don't really label myself anything. My views are constantly changing. Nothing is concrete; you and everything is constantly changing. We learn new things everyday. Right now, I just try to keep in tune with nature and work with it, not against it. It brings me peace.

You should do what brings you peace.
LifeChanges
Art In Motion
Art In Motion

Postby Justified » Thu May 10, 2012 9:53 am

I went through the same thing as a teen, no one can force you to believe something you do not believe in, in time they will recognize that about you and let you make your own decisions.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Justified
The Grey Knight
The Grey Knight

Postby DRLHyper » Fri May 11, 2012 8:41 pm

LifeChanges wrote:You story is similar to mine. Mom passed when I was young. My dad is a religious fanatic. After I got into my 20's I really started to question why I should believe. I took a world religions class in college that really opened my eyes to all the different view points. It got me thinking why is my god better than yours? I started to read all kinds of books on religion then officially declared myself an atheist. That left a big void in me and invited loneliness. I'd been raised to be Christian and went from one end of the spectrum to the other. That leads to a lot of confusion and questions. Now I'm not so sure. I don't say I'm Agnostic, I don't really label myself anything. My views are constantly changing. Nothing is concrete; you and everything is constantly changing. We learn new things everyday. Right now, I just try to keep in tune with nature and work with it, not against it. It brings me peace.

You should do what brings you peace.

That seems more like Non-Theism than Agnosticism.
DRLHyper
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Strider » Sat May 12, 2012 1:00 pm

Thank you all for your points of viiew n this. I've been looking into different religions and what not, in hopes that I'll find my spirituality niche.I'll keep you posted :)

Strider
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby porscheAyaz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:01 am

Sweetie...

Society in general has this very same issue, it's spirituality and not religion (this world is evolving to a better place). But you came here; seeking an answer for yourself. As well as ....maybe someone has to tell you that you are loved and that somebody, somewhere is watching over you. Guardian angel? you never know...
porscheAyaz
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Return to Spirituality And Religious Beliefs