Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Any tips. Dry skin

Talk about diet plans, exercise regimen, weight training, stress managment, food, addictions, self-improvement and ways to get and stay healthy.

Any tips. Dry skin

Postby Nostalgic » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:46 am

Every winter it's the same issue, between the cold and crap in the water my hands and legs get so dry.
Winter hasn't even set in yet and it's already BAD.

My legs get so dry I scratch and sometimes cause bleeding in my sleep. My hands are red and cracked above my thumb and between my fingers. It gets painful.
I've tried every hand cream and even my lip cream that works well on my lips. I rubbed oil in my hands and they were greasy but in those areas it was still dry, like I missed those spots.

Don't know what to do next. I could deal with it if it didn't irritate or hurt.

I guess this is a rant unless you have some home remedy tips??
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Re: Any tips. Dry skin

Postby CeciliaMystic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:17 am

I drink alot of water everyday so i would say drink at least 8 cups a day and i also when i get out the shower before going to bed i also moisturize my skin with a specific lotion so when you wake up you will feel soft and smell like a baby...just to keep your skin from getting dry :)
"Life is hard...but it's harder if you're stupid"
CeciliaMystic
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Nostalgic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:05 am

Thx for the tips.
I drink loads of water though and my creams don't work :(
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby CeciliaMystic » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:31 am

Try changing your cream that says specifically that it will"moisturizes for soft skin" im sure there are tons of other better lotions :)
CeciliaMystic
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Nostalgic » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:39 am

I'm going to try changing my body wash also.
I was at the gyno tonight and she recommended one that helps.
She said its not just cream but body wash.

Hope it works???
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby CeciliaMystic » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:10 am

Yeah maybe that'll work too good luck...if you need any more tips i'll be glad to tell... ;)
CeciliaMystic
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Nostalgic » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:43 am

Thx :)
Got medical cream also for my hands and a healing cream for my leg that I scratched in the night.
Hoping it will get better :D
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby happydreamer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:08 pm

Two words--baking soda.....it really helps me (and is very cheap too). I dump between a half or full 1lb. box of baking soda into my bath water. When you get out of the tub your skin may initially feel dry but wihin a couple of hours it will be amazingly soft. Sometimes i make a paste of it with some water and use it for more specific body parts (hands, scalp, face, etc.) Be warned, If you have cuts or open sores it will sting. It works by removing acids on your skin and stimulates your natural moisturizing ability to work on its own. Friends who have very sensitive skin love this remedy too. Give it a try!
happydreamer
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby jojo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:25 pm

Maybe you have winter eczema? can get a cream for it over the counter to rub on hands and fingers.

My mom uses a humidifier in the winter, they are cheap to buy and run. Puts moisture back into the dry air, so skin doesn't dry out as bad.
The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away.
jojo
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby amstevens23 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:43 pm

agreed with the first reponse to your post. the reason people deal with dry skin in the winter is because they aren't hydrated enough as they are in the summer when its hot and were drinking gallons of water. drink tons of water even if it is cold out. use lotion 5 minutes after your take a shower so the lotion has time to moisturize your skin, anytime after that your dry and the lotion just sits at the top of your skin, i don't know if you have ever put lotion on and it just feels sticky and just like you put too much on, its just because it's all at the top because it did not penetrate into your skin.
amstevens23
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Postby KRSTYSTLCLR » Fri May 11, 2012 6:25 pm

I have a new favorite.....
1/4 cup ground coffee, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tbsp. your favorite liquid shower soap, 2 crushed vitamin c tablets, 2 tbsp of your favorite body lotion and a tbsp of an alpha hydroxy cream. Mix it all in a bowl together...add a spoon of water if it is too thick. When you shower, get your body wet first, then use this scrub. Leave it on your skin for 1 to 3 minutes and then rinse. Don't use soap after. Your skin we be baby soft for 3 to 5 days after. I use avon's foot works for the alpha hydroxy in it.
KRSTYSTLCLR
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Raymond456 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:20 am

Drink more water and fresh fruits juices.
Take more water foods such as fruits juices, vegetables soups and green tea in your diet.
Moisturize your skin daily with a good quality lotion.
Raymond456
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby Nostalgic » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:02 am

I still have this issue and nothing works :(
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby Dngr1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Eat some broccolli! ZOMG! BROCOLLI!
Dngr1
Part Time Dreamer
Part Time Dreamer

Postby Dngr1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:02 pm

Nostalgic wrote:Every winter it's the same issue, between the cold and crap in the water my hands and legs get so dry.
Winter hasn't even set in yet and it's already BAD.

My legs get so dry I scratch and sometimes cause bleeding in my sleep. My hands are red and cracked above my thumb and between my fingers. It gets painful.
I've tried every hand cream and even my lip cream that works well on my lips. I rubbed oil in my hands and they were greasy but in those areas it was still dry, like I missed those spots.

Don't know what to do next. I could deal with it if it didn't irritate or hurt.

I guess this is a rant unless you have some home remedy tips??

I hear that alot of people lose alot of their skin problems when they cut out milk and cheese in their diet, if you are consuming these, consider it.
Dngr1
Part Time Dreamer
Part Time Dreamer

Postby Raymond456 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:56 am

Raymond456 wrote:Drink more water and fresh fruits juices.
Take more water foods such as fruits juices, vegetables soups and green tea in your diet.

Any comment?
Raymond456
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby Nostalgic » Sun May 12, 2013 9:06 am

Tried everything minus the baking soda (will try that one) and the humidifier as we don't have one.
It's still the same. This year is worse and maybe the pregnancy has something to do with that?
It's summer but still cold so I. Still suffering :(
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby starreborn » Tue May 14, 2013 4:05 pm

one thing i was told was this - before going to bed, generously apply petroleum jelly on your hands, cover them with cotton gloves, and leave them on overnight. this is something you may have to repeat a few times. i have been curious about trying it, but never got around to doing it, so i can't say if this works or not.
we sense that life is a dark comedy and perhaps we can live with that. however, because the whole thing is written for the entertainment of the gods, too many of the jokes go right over our heads.
starreborn
the Star
the Star

Postby Nostalgic » Tue May 14, 2013 10:42 pm

It sounds uncomfortable. I will try this one after baby is born.
If you try it before me, let me know
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby Tal » Fri May 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Sounds like contact dermatitis, Egglet. I'd suggest just a plain old sorbolene, unscented, uncoloured, and then use cotton gloves like Starry said. Sorbolene with a 10% glycerin content may help as well. Or, Girl from the Land of Many Sheep...LANOLIN. If you can't get it in France, your mum or someone could send you some from home. I used it when I was breast feeding to treat hurty nipples. It's pure and the midwives here recommend it so I'm pretty sure they'd be doing the same in NZ. The best thing is to just experiment with different things but I really do urge you to stay away from anything that's scented and/or coloured as these are the worst types of skin irritants.
Internally, lots of water and Evening Primrose Oil in capsule form, which is also good for lady problems.
Tal
A Helping Hand
A Helping Hand

Postby Nostalgic » Sat May 18, 2013 9:56 pm

I will def look into lanolin thx.
The cotton gloves ill leave till after any is born. I'm having such restless sleeps as it is.
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby jrock2222 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:46 am

Use a face cloth and GENTLY put your face above stem
I am the creator of www.explorecreatelive.com. A place for exploring, pondering and living this phenomenal thing called life!
jrock2222
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby Raymond456 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:01 am

Raymond456 wrote:Drink more water and fresh fruits juices.

Any comment?

boot camp Rutherford
Raymond456
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby KRSTYSTLCLR » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Ok Nos, I logged in just to post this.
Try extra virgin coconut oil. You can buy a good sized jar of it to use as a cooking oil, add a teaspoon to your morning coffee, tea, put it on toast instead of butter in the morning, cook eggs with it. Its quite yummy and does not taste like coconut. You use it on the ends of your hair as a natural conditioner, great for a all over moistureizer even your face.
goggle it! It is amazing! Think how beautiful all those women in the tropics are where coconuts are a staple. You can get it online or at a local health food store. Just make sure you get the extra virgin one. You don't want one that has been refined or bleached.
good luck.
KRSTYSTLCLR
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby ViperChik » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:22 am

Try replaceing your bar of soap with oat soap. Sometimes your regular soap can dry your skin, washing with oat soap will keep your skin moisturized for a while.
If a bar of oat soap doesn't work, heres some more things that people claim does work:

1. "USE SUGAR! It worked in less than a week , once a day rub the sugar on the effected area while in the shower. After rubbing the sugar, continued my bath, when I was done , I Washed off the sugar with a Johnson's Baby Bar Soap! This worked and cleared it completely"

2. "Cocoa Butter Skin Lotion. works really well! Its got Vitamin E It helps soothe and relieve you extra dry skin."

3. Burts bees lip balm. "My friend offered me some burts bees lip balm. She said that beeswax was good for your skin. I thought she was crazy, but I put some on and the next morning, my skin was SO SOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

4. Toothpaste "Someone suggested TOOTHPASTE. I tried it and, well, it made my skin REALLY soft!"

Hope something works for you Nos!

ViperChik~The dark kitten of the night♥
ViperChik
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby gargoylegoil » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:48 am

Aveeno, Eucerin....these are recommened while I'm in radiation to keep skin moist.
gargoylegoil
On The Wings Of A Dragonfly

Postby Nostalgic » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:39 pm

Thanks all,some good ideas I'm going to try as it's getting worse!!!! :( I'm not sure what those are though gg?
I was in pain the other day with the splitting of skin around my knuckles.
I understand why it's getting worse though., I feel like Im Washing my hands every 5 minutes with the two kids. I use hand sanitizer when we are out.... Not sure if that's so good for the skin but even without kids I use it.... Gastro flu is common here and the metro is so dirty etc. I'm sure I would get gastro more often if I didn't use that stuff.

Exfoliating seems to make them feel better and softer for a while, I tried a coconut oil that made my skin feel silky smooth minus the dry bits :shock:
I stopped using bar soap and have started using hand wash with no perfumes etc.

How does the toothpaste thing work? I rub it on and wash of straight away or leave it on?
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby gargoylegoil » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:49 am

Nos....those are REALLY good lotions and creams. Since you use so much sanitizer. I recommend carrying a small bottle with you. And moisturize every time you wash or sanitize. No matter what you use. you'll need it often. Especially on the hands.
gargoylegoil

Postby Nostalgic » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:24 am

I have cream in my bag but it just never touches the dry parts :(
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby gargoylegoil » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:13 am

Well, you have to take it out of your bag to use it. ;)
gargoylegoil

Postby Nostalgic » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:57 am

Lol, I just realized how that sounded :shock:

It makes my skin soft but the dry patches stay the same.
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby gargoylegoil » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Sounds like a type of skin disorder. Maybe Dr can prescribe something for it.
gargoylegoil

Return to Health And Fitness