Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Any ideas?

What dream horrors are haunting you in your sleep? Do you wake up sweating, screaming, or heart pounding? Share and cope with your own disturbing nightmares here.

Any ideas?

Postby leworldgoesround » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:09 pm

I remember when I was around seven or eight I would constantly have a dream I was at my mothers house and my mother, my step dad my little brother and I were gathering around a table in her living room, sitting down for thanksgiving dinner. We lit a candle and started a bit of chit-chat. I can remember in the dream my mother kissed my forehead and then suddenly "ghosts" started swarming down form the ceiling, flying around our heads. Chanting something. I would always wake up crying and screaming. I can remember I had that dream at least once every two months until I was eleven. for some reason the dream just stopped as soon as my mother moved to Florida, and I've always been really curious about this dream, Any ideas? :worry:
leworldgoesround
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Any ideas?

Postby Dominno » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:15 pm

Any ideas what this 'chit-chat' was? Maybe to connect to someone from the dead, hm?
Maybe there was something burdening your mother or you, and when she moved away, she took it with her??

.::Domi::.
Dominno

Postby leworldgoesround » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:22 pm

I never remembered what the "chit-chat" was about, I just guessed it was a casual conversation.

Thank you for the thought, it sounds quite fitting.
leworldgoesround
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby Dagny Taggart » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:23 pm

Part of what the Dream Dictionary says about ghosts may be helpful for you here: "In general, ghosts symbolize aspects of yourself that you fear. This may involve a painful memory, guilt, or some repressed thoughts. You may be afraid of death and dying. Alternatively, ghosts are representative of something that is no longer obtainable or within reach. It indicates a feeling of disconnection from life and society."

What happened at age 7 that changed how you viewed your family? Why did your mom move to Florida? It's possible you started to realize that your family didn't have that brady bunch perfection we all thought was normal. I'd say that the fact that it sounds like such a sweet scene (candles, forehead kiss, etc) would mean that you were afraid of losing that safety and connection. Kids are smart and pick up on more than the adults realize. The fact that you still think about it may mean you still have some things to deal with over your mom moving to Florida.
Dagny Taggart

Postby Dominno » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:24 pm

No problem, we all have our odd dreams, experiences, etc.. And should help others try and get through/over them..

.::Domi::.
Dominno

Postby leworldgoesround » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:50 pm

What happened at age 7 that changed how you viewed your family? Why did your mom move to Florida? It's possible you started to realize that your family didn't have that brady bunch perfection we all thought was normal. I'd say that the fact that it sounds like such a sweet scene (candles, forehead kiss, etc) would mean that you were afraid of losing that safety and connection. Kids are smart and pick up on more than the adults realize. The fact that you still think about it may mean you still have some things to deal with over your mom moving to Florida.

Well when I was around three or so, my mother and father divorced. And after that I really didn't get to see her that much. And My father tells me that I wouldn't let him leave the house because I was afraid he wouldn't come back...

But when my mother moved out, she re-married a few months after, and her new husband and her had a son not to long after that. I guess I would always feel side-casted? Or left out of her left life all together. And when she moved to Florida it was with her husband and their child, once again I felt completely left out, so yes. I would agree there is still a few things to deal with over my mother moving to Florida.

Thanks for the thought.
It clears quite a few things up.
leworldgoesround
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby Dagny Taggart » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:26 pm

I see...so you were living with your dad and the dream was about your mom and her new family? I'd say (and I'm grasping at straws here) that possibly you thought that while your house was scary and painful, her new situation was happy and loving...and part of you wanted to run with her despite the fact that you loved your father very much. When a parent leaves, there is always a part of us that thinks the grass is greener where they are...like there was a reason they left and they should have taken you with them. Possibly the dream stopped when your mom moved because she effectively left your relatively safe little world, and running away with her no longer seemed like the less scary of the two possibilities. ??? I dunno...or maybe you just liked the food for Thanksgiving at her place better than dad's cooking. ;) :cupcake:
Dagny Taggart

Return to Nightmares And Night Terrors