Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

How to beat recurring nightmares?

What dream horrors are haunting you in your sleep? Do you wake up sweating, screaming, or heart pounding? Share and cope with your own disturbing nightmares here.

How to beat recurring nightmares?

Postby Scully2313 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:16 am

Hello all, I’m new here, I’m hoping for support beating a recurring nightmare I keep having? I’ll post the dream below, be warned it does contain reference to sexual assault. I was raped a year and a half ago, and I know this dream, among others, stems from that. I’m wondering if it’s trying to tell me something specific however and that’s why it won’t go away? Here it is below:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I dream that I’m a part of a team visiting the moon, one of the first it feels like (I’m female). When the moon rover thing reaches the moon I realize that something is wrong. One of my two copilots is acting strange, and sick. The other usually vanishes after this point and I never understand why. He’s supposed to be the good one, who could help me, and possibly protect me.

We go back to our ship and my crazy copilot becomes sick and zombie like. He chases me and the other pilot (if he’s not gone by now this is usually where he vanishes). He bites us and we try to lock him away but he always comes out again. Then there are more people on the ship, and I wind up stuck in a small room, and my hands are tied and I’m exposed. I’m always raped here and assaulted, in that little room off to the side. I don’t ever see his face. In my head I know I must’ve done something to deserve it so I try to be quiet but I usually cry.

I’m let go then, and the ship has arrived home. I try to disembark like nothing happened. I don’t want anyone to know, I only want them to see that I accomplished my mission and what a success it was! But when I arrive home there’s someone holding a box, and she’s throwing pictures from it. I never look but I know the pictures are of me, of the horrible things on that ship, and I know everyone will see and hate me and think I’m disgusting. I never see who has the box but I’ve always felt like it was another woman.

Sometimes there’s a small bit where I’m trying to protect others from the disease. They’ll be lined up to go into a room and I make them leave so they don’t get hurt. That’s not always there but sometimes.

I hope that makes sense.... I see some of the obvious symbolism here but what is it really trying to say? How do I make this dream stop? :(

Thank you
xScully
Scully2313
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: How to beat recurring nightmares?

Postby operatormike » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:16 am

Dear Scully,

Sorry that you were assaulted. No one ever deserves that for any reason. Your instincts are correct that you need to learn from the dream in order for it to stop. Recurrent dreams happen because we are not dealing with an emotional issue that we need to resolve. Yours is no real secret. That is good to the extent that you are not blocking out the event, which would cause yourself more internal trauma.

One theory of dreams says that every character is an aspect of the dreamers own psyche. I think that dreams have more than one layer. So with those two thoughts in mind, the good male copilot represents males in your life from which you seek comfort and protection AND is a representation of you internal male dynamic. This would be your assertiveness, even aggressiveness and your rational self. The strange sick zombie copilot is the evil person who actually assaulted you in your waking life, BUT ALSO your internal messed up emotions from this traumatic event.

When the moon rover reaches the planet, you open up to your suppressed unconscious emotions and "realize something is wrong". The bad one starts acting strange and sick (your guilt, shame, fear, anger and other bad emotions start acting up. What you need is mind over matter sort of, your rational thoughts need to assert themselves over the negativity, this would be the good guy protecting you from the sick one. Running is anxiety and fear. One way of dealing with this within the dream is to face the chaser ( you may see the waking life perpetrator or you may see a sickly image of yourself) either way, you need to stand up to it. Don't let it tie you up. Assertively, even aggressively, tell these sick emotions that you have NOT done anything to deserve assault. You have had enough and you are not going to take it any more.

The pictures are your vivid memories of the event. The woman throwing pictures is your self. This is showing you your fear that if you reveal the assault to others that they "will hate you and think you are disgusting". You need to realize deep down inside that you are not disgusting. You did nothing wrong. The monster who did this to you is disgusting and deserves to be hated. You deserve to be treated with respect and love and tenderness.

The issues that need to be resolved are all these negative thoughts and feelings. That is the zombie that needs to be defeated. I would recommend that you find someone in your waking life to talk with about this. Someone who is trustworthy and good. I hope and pray that you can resolve all of this.

Peace,
Operator Mike
Who looks outside, dreams;
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace... ---John Lennon
who looks inside, awakens! ---Carl Jung
operatormike
Gate Keeper
Gate Keeper

Postby Scully2313 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:05 pm

operatormike wrote:Dear Scully,

Sorry that you were assaulted. No one ever deserves that for any reason. Your instincts are correct that you need to learn from the dream in order for it to stop. Recurrent dreams happen because we are not dealing with an emotional issue that we need to resolve. Yours is no real secret. That is good to the extent that you are not blocking out the event, which would cause yourself more internal trauma.

One theory of dreams says that every character is an aspect of the dreamers own psyche. I think that dreams have more than one layer. So with those two thoughts in mind, the good male copilot represents males in your life from which you seek comfort and protection AND is a representation of you internal male dynamic. This would be your assertiveness, even aggressiveness and your rational self. The strange sick zombie copilot is the evil person who actually assaulted you in your waking life, BUT ALSO your internal messed up emotions from this traumatic event.

When the moon rover reaches the planet, you open up to your suppressed unconscious emotions and "realize something is wrong". The bad one starts acting strange and sick (your guilt, shame, fear, anger and other bad emotions start acting up. What you need is mind over matter sort of, your rational thoughts need to assert themselves over the negativity, this would be the good guy protecting you from the sick one. Running is anxiety and fear. One way of dealing with this within the dream is to face the chaser ( you may see the waking life perpetrator or you may see a sickly image of yourself) either way, you need to stand up to it. Don't let it tie you up. Assertively, even aggressively, tell these sick emotions that you have NOT done anything to deserve assault. You have had enough and you are not going to take it any more.

The pictures are your vivid memories of the event. The woman throwing pictures is your self. This is showing you your fear that if you reveal the assault to others that they "will hate you and think you are disgusting". You need to realize deep down inside that you are not disgusting. You did nothing wrong. The monster who did this to you is disgusting and deserves to be hated. You deserve to be treated with respect and love and tenderness.

The issues that need to be resolved are all these negative thoughts and feelings. That is the zombie that needs to be defeated. I would recommend that you find someone in your waking life to talk with about this. Someone who is trustworthy and good. I hope and pray that you can resolve all of this.

Peace,
Operator Mike

Thank you so, so much Mike! This makes so much sense to me, I hadn't thought about my dream in this way. I do have support from my boyfriend but I have been thinking about seeking professional assistance, I really struggle with this :( Is it a type of lucid dreaming to be able to face the chaser? I heard it suggested once to keep a pen or something next to your bedside stand, and think of it as a weapon to use in dreams and that sometimes that will carry over into the dream....

This is a beautiful explanation and has helped me so much! Thank you for your kind words as well, someday I hope to not shoulder as much responsibility for what happened, I know it wasn't my fault, but somedays are easier than others. Thank you again :)
Scully2313
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby operatormike » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:20 am

Hi Scully,

You are more than welcome. I am glad to have helped. It is so good to hear that your boyfriend supports you. That is so helpful for you. A professional counselor could be good. Choose wisely and be sure she or he is very good at their work.

It is always a good idea to write down the dream upon waking. By keeping a pen and journal by your bed, you can capture concepts within the dream that you may lose the longer you are awake. We tend to let dream information slip back into our unconscious often. Especially is if it upsetting. I have done this and I would advise not to try to write out the whole story, but write down key words and concepts. It might go: moon landing, two guys, zombie, woman pictures..and so forth. Words that will bring back the images and help you to remember little details. Then write it out when you feel like you have captured most of it.

Regarding lucid dreaming, yes I suppose that it would be lucid when you decide within your dream to face that chaser. If you consciously consider doing it enough, when it happens in the dream, you should be successful.

Peace,
OM
Who looks outside, dreams;
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace... ---John Lennon
who looks inside, awakens! ---Carl Jung
operatormike
Gate Keeper