Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

A very weird thing I had 2 years ago...

What dream horrors are haunting you in your sleep? Do you wake up sweating, screaming, or heart pounding? Share and cope with your own disturbing nightmares here.

A very weird thing I had 2 years ago...

Postby Space and Time » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:27 pm

So It was like this:

I found myself lying on the bed in my room, I interpreted it as real, I was unable to move and sensed weirdness. I thought my father was lying on another bed in the same room, but what I seen is some weird gollum (From lord of the rings) like creature, but it was completely black with some ripped off clothes like the "The guy" character (mascot of the Metal band's Disturbed) "asylum" album's image cover.

Anyway, before noticing this weird creature, I just attempted to call my father. For some reason it was hard to speak, as I managed to somehow say "father", that creature responded with with a pretty annoyed "Rawrhghgh!" grumble.

Ofcourse it ended with me waking up like it all was just a dream, even though that dream seemed too real and vivid for it to be an dream. Later when I discovered such thing as sleep paralisys, I thought it might be it, but the way I woke up like It's a dream seemed to tell me it it wasnt really an sleep paralisys but something else...

So, what in the world was that creature is?
Anyone is a lord of their realm
Space and Time
Dream Child
Dream Child

Re: A very weird thing I had 2 years ago...

Postby Dorn » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:36 pm

This was indeed a case of sleep paralysis, but your unconscious mind was nevertheless able to conjure up a dream symbol (the condensation containing the gollum creature, tattered clothes, alt-metal, and grumble). Primitive and instinctual, it is a manifestation of your repressed shadow self.

It's too bad you don't remember more, as it would have been interesting to see how your shadow interacts beyond expressing intimidating grunts.
Dorn
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Space and Time » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:00 pm

Oh and by the way, I forgot to say that It happened in the middle of they day in summer, It's not at night, when this happened my father was shopping for Ingredients. So yeah, when I "Woke up" I realised my father was not home.

I mean, yeah, I listen to disturbed, but It's not because I'm faking to be "Depressed" or something, It's simply because I enjoy metal rock for the fast paced music that fits for epic action. I also listen to Industrial metal/Electronic Rock such as Celldweller and Blue Stahli, I also listened to some other bands aswell.

As for the sleep paralysis, I did not experience difficult in breathing as some researchers state (maybe because I didnt notice it), and all what I just felt was weirdness, the feel of creepines, how to say it correcty, was very negligible, It's not that bad.

In the sleep paralysis, I managed to look at my father's bed and see that creature, like I moved my head with eyes open, but when I woke up, It's regular; I opened my eyes, as they are closed and my head was facing the wall and not my father's bed.
Space and Time
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby Dorn » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:06 pm

Space and Time wrote:Oh and by the way, I forgot to say that It happened in the middle of they day in summer, It's not at night ...
I gathered as much, hence the lucid quality to your dream scenario. The only time I ever had a lucid dream at night was when I fell asleep in a well-lit room around 9 p.m.

... when this happened my father was shopping for Ingredients. So yeah, when I "Woke up" I realised my father was not home.
I think you called for him out of fear of the unknown, hoping he would help you out of that confusing state of mind. It is then a question if the gollum-like creature initiated the sensation or if it was summoned as a means to shock you into waking up.

I mean, yeah, I listen to disturbed, but It's not because I'm faking to be "Depressed" or something, It's simply because I enjoy metal rock for the fast paced music that fits for epic action. I also listen to Industrial metal/Electronic Rock such as Celldweller and Blue Stahli, I also listened to some other bands aswell.
In dreams, the medium is the message: "disturbed" and "alternative" and "dark." Those elements conjoin to form the self-image you repressed from your conscious mind.

As for the sleep paralysis, I did not experience difficult in breathing as some researchers state (maybe because I didnt notice it), and all what I just felt was weirdness, the feel of creepines, how to say it correcty, was very negligible, It's not that bad.
I've experienced sleep paralysis on multiple occasions and have never encountered breathing difficulties, and it's the first I hear of it. The key ingredient in a hypnopompic hallucination is that of our dream consciousness entering our waking mind, as dream symbols linger in what we think is physical reality, causing confusion and discomfort.

What matters, ultimately, is the scenario itself. You faced a disturbed and distorted self-image that scared you enough to call a parent for help. Or, as you called for a parent to help you wake up, your mind released this repressed self-image to increase shock value.

In the sleep paralysis, I managed to look at my father's bed and see that creature, like I moved my head with eyes open, but when I woke up, It's regular; I opened my eyes, as they are closed and my head was facing the wall and not my father's bed.
Beyond the understandable sleep inertia and the urge to wake up, why do you think the gollum creature appeared close to your father's bed?
Dorn
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Space and Time » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:03 am

Dorn wrote:I gathered as much, hence the lucid quality to your dream scenario. The only time I ever had a lucid dream at night was when I fell asleep in a well-lit room around 9 p.m.

I think you called for him out of fear of the unknown, hoping he would help you out of that confusing state of mind. It is then a question if the gollum-like creature initiated the sensation or if it was summoned as a means to shock you into waking up.

This scenario happened to me only once in my life.

In dreams, the medium is the message: "disturbed" and "alternative" and "dark." Those elements conjoin to form the self-image you repressed from your conscious mind.

The key ingredient in a hypnopompic hallucination is that of our dream consciousness entering our waking mind, as dream symbols linger in what we think is physical reality, causing confusion and discomfort.

What matters, ultimately, is the scenario itself. You faced a disturbed and distorted self-image that scared you enough to call a parent for help. Or, as you called for a parent to help you wake up, your mind released this repressed self-image to increase shock value.

What does shadow figures/creatures represent anyway? Is it like the polar-opposite personality of yours or It is an manifestation of your bad/negative personality traits/qualities?

Also, based on the cognitive functions personality (MBTI);

Your shadow creature/figure basicaly has the qualities of your shadow cognitive functions?

You know, the normal main functions, for me, being an INTP (Not sure) is Ti (Dominant), Ne (Secondary), Si (Third), Fe (Inferior). The shadow Functions are Te (Opposite), Ni (Critical Parent), Se (Trickster) and Fi (The almighty inhabitant of hell - The demon). So that shadow creature represented those shadow functions? is it correct?

Beyond the understandable sleep inertia and the urge to wake up, why do you think the gollum creature appeared close to your father's bed?

Actualy, It's not near the bed, It's on the bed of my father. The creature was sitting on my dad's bed, It's not looking at me, It's face facing down towards the pillow. As for why, I dont really know. Maybe because I tend to always yell at my dad "Can you cut that off already, It's annoying" whether he becomes an obnoxious raging twat near his PC whenever he plays a game or watches news. When I yell at my dad he usualy responds with "**** off moron" or respond in other self-entitled/uncivilized/rude manners towards me, even play with my inner "demons" sometimes to justify It's acts of punishing you... "putting you down" and/or a put boycott or "embrago" you like refusing to talk or reason with.

Yeah, parents those days. They can sometimes be one of the biggest self-entitled and hypocritical obnoxious toxic individuals in your life, you know, since they are your parents and the one's in charge of the house, they think they are so self-entitled to anything while you are not - hence the hypocricy. When you point that out on them, they refuse to admit their bad way of behaving and tell you either "Dont give me orders" or "don't tell me the way of doing things".

Ok... Yeah, sorry. Went on a little rant here, had to get it out of my chest.
Space and Time
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby Dorn » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:08 am

Space and Time wrote:This scenario happened to me only once in my life.
It isn't so much a question of scenarios "happening" to us. As we dream, setting aside consciousness, repressed thoughts and memories surface. The unconscious mind registers everything around us and is constantly active, and we get a glimpse of its disarray during REM sleep. Furthermore, if something isn't immediately represented in the real world (sign or memory), then it is either a symbol (condensation), a wish/desire, or a self-reflection.

As far as this dream scenario is concerned, Overcoming the Monster is an age-old narrative with many alternative expressions. Think of the wider context and significance of gollums and gremlins as a kid. As dream symbols shift, it is quite possible that you have revisited this scenario on several occasions.

What does shadow figures/creatures represent anyway? Is it like the polar-opposite personality of yours or It is an manifestation of your bad/negative personality traits/qualities?
The shadow captures aspects of you that are "dark" (repressed). In that sense, you can think of it as a projected self-image that captures aspects of you that are either denied (shadow), limited (anima), or fully pushed aside (see below).

Also, based on the cognitive functions personality (MBTI);

Your shadow creature/figure basicaly has the qualities of your shadow cognitive functions?

You know, the normal main functions, for me, being an INTP (Not sure) is Ti (Dominant), Ne (Secondary), Si (Third), Fe (Inferior). The shadow Functions are Te (Opposite), Ni (Critical Parent), Se (Trickster) and Fi (The almighty inhabitant of hell - The demon). So that shadow creature represented those shadow functions? is it correct?
Beyond your ego, there are three other core manifestations lodged in your unconscious: shadow self (opposite-critic), anima (inferior-third), and the superego/Self/collective unconscious (demon-trickster).

The shadow self leads with the opposite and critical parent, i.e., INTP (TiNe) becomes a stressed and uncomfortable, loudmouthed bully (ENTJ/TeNi). Even though this is an opposite, both of you are similar insofar as you are Promethean types (NT). Your anima reflects your least conscious function (inferior), making it a reversal of INTP (TiNe) to a productive and positive maternal figure (ESFJ/FeSi), which is Epimethean (SJ).

The most frightening encounter is the demon-trickster, the manifestation of all negative social attitudes and experiences imaginable, which in your case is a crooked and parasitic, Dionysian imp (SP; ISFP/FiSe), a kind of trickster Yoda. Freud termed it the superego, while Jung called it the Self or collective unconscious. It is the fierce being/construct that holds the inconsistencies of your inner world together.

Actualy, It's not near the bed, It's on the bed of my father. The creature was sitting on my dad's bed, It's not looking at me, It's face facing down towards the pillow. As for why, I dont really know. Maybe because I tend to always yell at my dad "Can you cut that off already, It's annoying" whether he becomes an obnoxious raging twat near his PC whenever he plays a game or watches news. When I yell at my dad he usualy responds with "**** off moron" or respond in other self-entitled/uncivilized/rude manners towards me, even play with my inner "demons" sometimes to justify It's acts of punishing you... "putting you down" and/or a put boycott or "embrago" you like refusing to talk or reason with.
I see it clearly now. That impish creature was your internalized reflection of him, perhaps of grownups at large, especially as it relates to "power tripping" behavior.

Yeah, parents those days. They can sometimes be one of the biggest self-entitled and hypocritical obnoxious toxic individuals in your life, you know, since they are your parents and the one's in charge of the house, they think they are so self-entitled to anything while you are not - hence the hypocricy. When you point that out on them, they refuse to admit their bad way of behaving and tell you either "Dont give me orders" or "don't tell me the way of doing things".
Several friends of mine were in a similar situation, as they had Gen X parents who were overgrown kids themselves, who couldn't handle authority without being inconsistent. It's when parents lack dominant traits that they will appeal to force when pressured. You risk repeating this as well, not only as an INTP with an aggressive ENTJ shadow (when stressed), but because it is a defining characteristic for us millennials.
Dorn
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Return to Nightmares And Night Terrors