Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

A very weird nightmare ?

What dream horrors are haunting you in your sleep? Do you wake up sweating, screaming, or heart pounding? Share and cope with your own disturbing nightmares here.

A very weird nightmare ?

Postby Cantaloupe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:12 am

So I had this nightmare and it was VERY scary to me but I admit that the idea of it is funny.
In the dream I was going to use the bathroom and then I looked in the toilet and I saw a hand. There was just a hand in the toilet and it really scared me. I went to look under the cover and I saw my friends body. I thought she was dead but then she started to twitch a little bit and her eyes were rolled back into her head. I tried to scream but nothing was coming out of my mouth. I tried to wake up another person in the house but I couldn’t. That’s about it. I’ve had issues in the past where I would have a nightmare where I couldn’t speak. I think not being able to scream or talk is probably the worst part of them all and I was wondering if that means anything. What does the nightmare mean, and what does not being able to talk mean? Thank you for reading!
Cantaloupe
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: A very weird nightmare ?

Postby Vos » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 am

Dear Dreamer,

To understand the dream, it is necesary to understand the symbols. Therefor I will ask you a few questions. If you are willing to answer them we can try to work out what this dream might mean.

Would you be interested to make a title for this dream?

Could you define the concept of "a toilet" as if I come from a culture where toilets don´t excist? What is the function of These things, why do People use them?

Does the Image of the (severed?) Hand remind you of anything?

When you say you "looked under the cover", what do you mean exactly? The cover of the toilet?

Could you give a character Portrait of your friend, with some positive and some negative aspects?

What´s the purpose of screaming? Why do People scream when they are scared? In this Situation, do you think the Impulse to scream is the most senseful Impulse? What would be a good reply to such a Situation as you describe?

What´s scary about not having a voice? If we would Interpret this symbolically, what would not having a voice mean? Is this something you can relate to in your everyday life?

Do you know who you tried to wake up? Character Portrait?

These are my questions for now. I might have more later, but let´s try to see where this leads.
Vos
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: nightmare questions

Postby Cantaloupe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:27 am

Could you define the concept of "a toilet" as if I come from a culture where toilets don´t excist? What is the function of These things, why do People use them?
A toilet is used to dispose of human waste.
Does the Image of the (severed?) Hand remind you of anything?
No not really, I can't really think of anything that it would remind me of, and the hand was not severed. It was still attached which is why I looked into the toilet trying to find out what it was attached to.

When you say you "looked under the cover", what do you mean exactly? The cover of the toilet?

I meant the cover of the toilet. It's a little weird that the body was in the toilet because there is no way that it would fit in real life. I only saw the upper half of her body and it was on the left side of the toilet.
Could you give a character Portrait of your friend, with some positive and some negative aspects?
I have been friends with this girl ever since preschool. We used to hang out all the time. Shes very funny and outgoing, but she can also come off as very weird/random at times. Recently I feel like we haven't been hanging out as much, she has a lot more friends, and now a boyfriend. She has changed a lot and hanging out with her is not really the same.

What´s the purpose of screaming? Why do People scream when they are scared? In this Situation, do you think the Impulse to scream is the most senseful Impulse? What would be a good reply to such a Situation as you describe?
I was trying to scream for help in the situation but not being able to scream in general is just scary to me. Screaming is a natural reaction to fear and not being able to do that feels weird. Yelling and trying to get help is reasonable in my mind. I just wanted someone else to see what I was seeing or to try to help my friend if she was actually still alive. It's weird that I never thought of trying to do something myself.

What´s scary about not having a voice? If we would Interpret this symbolically, what would not having a voice mean? Is this something you can relate to in your everyday life?
In the past when I had nightmares like this, not having a voice had little to no meaning to me. Now I can kind of see an everyday meaning because I am being forced into a situation where my opinion or voice is unheard. I think that not voice in my nightmares was simply to emphasize the amount of fear that I was in. Almost like being frozen in fear but instead I could not speak. I remember being a child and trying to wake up my parents in a dream by screaming and I couldn't no matter how hard I tried to. I think it was just the aspect of being alone without any help whatsoever was the scariest part of not having a voice. It just didn't feel right
Do you know who you tried to wake up? Character Portrait?
It was one of my parents. I never went into their room, which is weird because I easily could have woken them up if I did. It seems to be a repeating pattern where I am in my house and something happens and I try to get their help. I never get up and walk into their room. I just yell instead. Its not like I am afraid of going into their room, I just never think of it, and sometimes I just wasn't able to move. I think I was trying to get my dad. He's my favorite parent out of the two.
Cantaloupe
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: A very weird nightmare ?

Postby Vos » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:17 am

Thank you for your reply.

The dream seems to be related to a Feeling of powerlesness. You seem to have Little influence in you losing your friend, who has a bigger friend Group and a Partner. I imagine this is an unpleasant Situation for you.
The screaming Impulse you already relate to your Situation as a child. A child who has limited abilities to care for itself always has, as a last Resort, the possibility to scream to get the Attention of others who can deal with a Situation.
The question however is, when you grow up, how to take the own responsibility, how to react when life offers difficulties. I think it will be good to go a bit deeper into the current problematic, therefor I will ask a few more questions.

You write: " Now I can kind of see an everyday meaning because I am being forced into a situation where my opinion or voice is unheard.",
Could you Elaborate on this? What sort of Situation are you in?

If we should see the Hand as a Symbol, what could it symbolise? For example: what is the use of a human Hand, what makes the Hand Special, what acts do you associate with the Hand?

How do you feel about the fact that your friend now has a Partner?

What changed in your relationship to your friend?

Could it be so that you feel a certain imbalance between you and your friend, maybe a Feeling of Dependance on her?

Still I want to ask: if you had been in control of the Situation, how would you have acted in reality upon finding your friend in this condition, what would be a good way to respond?

Could you think of reasons not to enter your parents bedroom?

Could you give a short character Portrait of you father after all?

I know - it´s quite a few questions, but this is the way to work with a dream. If you want to look inside, take your time, reflect upon your inner condition, try to figure out what the symbols mean - that way we Kind find out what is the real Expression of your unconsciousness.
Vos
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Return to Nightmares And Night Terrors