Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Recurring nightmare for 25+ years, trapped with dark being

What dream horrors are haunting you in your sleep? Do you wake up sweating, screaming, or heart pounding? Share and cope with your own disturbing nightmares here.

Recurring nightmare for 25+ years, trapped with dark being

Postby sevensixtwo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:25 pm

Hello all,

I've had this recurring nightmare for 25+ years; I'm in my 30s now and I've been having it literally as far back as I can remember. Sometimes - rarely- I'll have it twice in a matter of a week, but usually it's once every few months. The dream is always the same, only the location changes (to match wherever I'm living at the time). I'll be in my house or apartment or wherever I'm living in reality, and I'm alone, at night. Everything seems fine and normal, but then the lights go out and I'm left in pitch darkness, and I sense there's some kind of evil, dark being or entity in there with me. It's hunting me, not a quick chase exactly but methodically. I know if I can just turn the lights on I'll be safe, but I never can. Either the power is out, or the lightswitches have moved, or sometimes a lamp I know is there will be missing in the dream... but I keep running desperately to the next lightswitch or lamp with the dark being getting closer and closer. Usually I wake up just as it's about to grab me, and I'll be sweaty with my heart pounding. Other times I wake up sooner, apparently when I'm so terrified I wake myself up sooner than the "end". I don't know what exactly the thing plans to do to me, since I always wake up the moment it catches me, at least so far. I'm not sure what exactly the being is either, it's not a monster in the usual sense; on the few occasions I've seen it it just seems to be a man made of darkness, like a shadow silhouette that's come to life. Sometimes with a hat, sometimes not. Mostly I never see it, just sense it coming closer and closer.

That's it. Also, usually I'm stuck inside my house for the entire dream, but a few times I've managed to get outside, and then been chased through my backyard or my neighborhood by the thing until I wake up. In that case, all the other houses will be lit up, but I can't reach them. That's really rare though, only happened 3 or 4 times in all these years.

I'd really appreciate knowing what this is supposed to mean, since I've had it so consistently for so long. Thanks!
sevensixtwo
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Return to Nightmares And Night Terrors