Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Need Answers for Crazy Night Terrors (triggers)

What dream horrors are haunting you in your sleep? Do you wake up sweating, screaming, or heart pounding? Share and cope with your own disturbing nightmares here.

Need Answers for Crazy Night Terrors (triggers)

Postby Karoulla » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:59 am

Hey! The past few months ive had many night terrors and nightmares. Including very violent, scary scenarios, sometimes including me getting hurt, or my daughter and me protecting her or me hurting someone else to get them away from me. I never know any of the violent people in my dream. But last night i had such a wierd dream. I dreamt i was happily on holiday with my partner and daughter. Then it completely changed. The sky went dark, and misty, i saw everyone in my dream moods change. They all had a purpose to kill me, they were all holding knives.

They wanted to stab me in the head, it was only my head, i kept sitting down in my dream shouting "wake up! Just wake up!" Then out of knowhere i saw colours and lights and it was as if i was not in a dream or asleep but also not awake. Then out of knowhere i fell back into the dream and there was a man who i do not know standing in front of me and i felt the weapon go through my head and i did not wake up even though i normally do. I even tried to kill myself in my dream to wake me up. I felt i had control of my thoughts and emotions in my dream. Why do i dream of such things? And why did i know i was dreaming and also why can i physically feel the things tht happen to me even when ive woken up. I also dont understand why the knives were just aimed at my head and people were trying to hurt me there instead of anywhere else on my body. I feel like its trying to tell me something.
Karoulla
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Need Answers for Crazy Night Terrors (triggers)

Postby cubedpotatoes » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:12 am

I've had very similar experiences in my dreams. Everyone, people I know, people I don't know, tries to kill me spontaneously. The only major difference is that they will use other weapons like guns, axes, spears, machetes, grenades, etc. as well as knives, and they don't only go for my head. The feelings are the same, you just want to wake up and make the pain stop; almost unbearable hellish pain that seems endless. Usually I'll pretend to be dead before or during the torture so they'll stop attacking me (sometimes I end up killing the person because I'm afraid they will attack me).

Like you, I also sometimes feel the pain when I wake up, and I can also fall back asleep into the same nightmare if I go right back to sleep. I can't really explain this either but I'm commenting because I have the same experience and I would also like to know if there's an answer to this.
cubedpotatoes
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Need Answers for Crazy Night Terrors (triggers)

Postby briandb » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:17 pm

Hello. Here are some ideas from my own experiences. They won’t be the only answers out there, so see if they feel right to you.

Why do i dream of such things?
These dreams can be a way of focusing in on an idea that is with you in your waking life. There may be times when you feel like people are trying to harm you, or that harm is on its way. You’re experiencing it from another perspective to learn more about it.

The focus on the head could mean that you feel it is a psychological attack, or you may feel that your head is your vulnerable spot. Do you have life experiences where your head is a target in one way or another? Such an experience may be sticking with you, affecting your life subconsciously.

Sensing the knife go through the head is the climax of the fear. You’re exploring the idea of “what if I couldn’t run or protect myself anymore.” Our perspective of a fear can’t help but change a little when we face it “head on” : ).

Trying to kill yourself to wake up is another way to experience the idea of escape. It’s something that a lot of people contemplate in waking life as well, obviously. In this dream, your escapes didn’t work.

And why did i know i was dreaming and also why can i physically feel the things that happen to me even when ive woken up?
Knowing your dreaming and having some control is often called lucid dreaming. It’s normal, but I don’t personally have any sort of explanation for it, except that it's as weird as the rest of it. We sometimes feel bodily experiences after waking because we can use our bodies to help us process the experience. Just like memories of the dream can remain in our brains, physical experiences can remain in our bodies. It has the effect of emphasizing the reality of experience and the role it is playing in your life and your body.

Cheers! Feel free to disagree or add your own ideas.
Brian
briandb
Part Time Dreamer
Part Time Dreamer

Return to Nightmares And Night Terrors