Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Family Gathering-Turned Shooting?

What dream horrors are haunting you in your sleep? Do you wake up sweating, screaming, or heart pounding? Share and cope with your own disturbing nightmares here.

Family Gathering-Turned Shooting?

Postby LucidDreaming » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:53 am

I just had a dream last night that I was at a family gathering at my grandma's house, but there was some random brown-haired guy that was talking to me and making me really nervous and jumpy. We were just standing in the living room and all of a sudden the lights went out, he just whips out a gun and shoots a couple people, including my precious Nana. I run out of the house in hysterics, and he follows me out. I duck behind my mom's Prius and he starts trying to shoot me through the Prius's windows, and I'm freaking out because I have partial control of myself in the dreamworld. My Uncle Bruce, who was smoking per usual behind my Papa's van, runs over to me and crouches near me. He says something and the crazy guy tries to shoot at me again. The nutcase ran over to the front of the car, near Uncle Bruce, and Uncle Bruce shields me with his body. I don't remember if the guy shot my Uncle, but I know he poked Uncle Bruce in the chest with the gun. Then, I woke up IN THE DREAM, and I was in a restaurant. My dad and I are the only ones at the table, and my mom is nowhere in sight. I was talking about my dream to my dad and then the lights in the restaurant went out, and I freaked and kept saying to my dad "That's exactly what happened in the dream" and THEN I wake up for the SECOND TIME, mind you, I'm STILL DREAMING, and I went downstairs and had breakfast. Then I actually woke up, in real life.

I'm so confused!! :?: :?
LucidDreaming
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Family Gathering-Turned Shooting?

Postby Dorn » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:10 am

The dream is best understood if we work our way backwards, as if we were picking apart a set of Russian nesting dolls, moving our way from larger to smaller. Food is the core theme of this set of dreams (breakfast, restaurant), seconded by family relations. The presence of food/meals highlights energy depletion and a lack of positive stimulus, while the imagery of waking up and having breakfast also suggests the need for a "fresh start." This is something you are attempting to communicate with your dad, but you are prevented due to an internal block (lights go out). At the deeper level, at the family gathering at your grandmother's house, the opposition is much stronger, suggesting that you are attempting to communicate something that would be considered "lethal" (homicidal gunman). What is interesting to note herein is that your mother is pushed aside, only appearing in one of the three dreams. It is also quite interesting how your interaction in the first dream is powerful enough to "kill your grandmother," which is a common injunction of guilt. (Stop doing/being [X], you're killing your grandmother.)

In sum, the dream captures the need for a fresh start that is grounded in a potentially deadly truth. As such, it arises guilt and is therefore difficult to convey to your family.
Dorn
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Return to Nightmares And Night Terrors