Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Can't wake up from nightmares

What dream horrors are haunting you in your sleep? Do you wake up sweating, screaming, or heart pounding? Share and cope with your own disturbing nightmares here.

Can't wake up from nightmares

Postby arials92 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:51 am

Hi, I've been looking online for other people who have this problem or for ways to stop this, but I haven't found anything yet.
Lately, I have been having nightmares where I realize I'm in a dream, almost like lucid dreaming, and I can't wake up. I say almost like lucid dreaming because I can't control everything in the dream. I'll give an example.
The other night I had a dream that I was outside of my class waiting for it to start and someone sent me a very explicit picture. I knew they would never do that because it was a dream so I decided to wake up. I ended up in the same place that I was before, so I decided that I would yell at someone random (because I would never do that in real life). I yelled and then thought I woke up in the school again, so to make sure I touched someone to see if they were real. it felt real, but I knew I wouldn't do that either.
After all this, I "woke up" driving in my car. I truly thought this was real because I often start to fall asleep while driving. In this dream, I couldn't stay awake long enough to look at the roads and I started swerving a ton. I tried screaming to wake myself up but nothing worked. As I was about to crash I then "woke up" in my bed.
I could've sworn that this time was for real, so I went down to pet my dog to see if I could get her to bite me and see if I could feel pain (I didn't know at the time that you can feel pain in dreams). It did hurt pretty bad, but then I realized that she would never bite that hard.
I finally woke up in real life after all of this, struggling to figure out what had happened. I've seen other people post scenarios like this but they are always the same problem of false awakenings while getting up for work. I haven't found one yet that plays out as an actual dream.
My question is, why does this happen? and also what does it mean? I have never had lucid dreams before and until recently I rarely had nightmares.
Also, what are some ways to actually wake myself up? Since I can somewhat control myself, is there anything I can do to make myself wake up?
Thanks a lot in advance.
arials92
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Can't wake up from nightmares

Postby Sheena » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:15 am

You are not supposed to wake up. You aren't finished and have neither learned nor grown.
You dream of not paying attention or being accountable and that leading to disaster. Gotta be living that way.
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby briandb » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:35 pm

Hi there. This could connect to an idea you experience in your life on a metaphorical level, but one cool way to look at it is that you're showing yourself that, deep down, you are powerful enough to toy with the idea of reality. The distinction between dreams and waking life may now be less obvious. You are having experiences that connect you to the part of yourself that can make new realities.
briandb
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby lukiusjohn » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:21 am

i have had a few dreams like this, where sometimes you wake up once or twice in the dream before you finally wake up in real life, there is a verse in the bible that says something like it is greater for a man to have control over his own spirit then to be able to overthrow a city, ( i don't remember it well)

finding an obedience to God and finding peace with death i would think is the best way to deal with these dreams, God is such an abstract phrase, but i kind of think of God as the subconscious on which everything lies,

or it could just be a case of your mind waking up while your body is still getting good sleep, i literally sleep with light of some kind on, i hate waking up from a nightmare in pitch black, it hasn't happened in years but i still leave a light on somewhere.
lukiusjohn
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Return to Nightmares And Night Terrors