Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

The cougar, the snakes, the knife.

What dream horrors are haunting you in your sleep? Do you wake up sweating, screaming, or heart pounding? Share and cope with your own disturbing nightmares here.

The cougar, the snakes, the knife.

Postby Ochun » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:31 pm

I'm writing this much too late to remember all the details, but here it goes: I was walking outside when I suddenly realized I was walking on snakes. Hundreds of them, they were scattered everywhere. I ran inside, but eventually they were too and I found myself hiding in rooms until my dad showed up bringing me outside that place.
Later, after some other random scene. I was driving when I saw a mountain lion (a cougar perhaps?) Standing on the side of the road. I stared in amazement, and ended up sitting in a doorway. It was open, I had my back to the outside. I glanced behind me and noticed the big cat was back. I was startled, I went inside. I turned around and it was back. Laying on the floor, non-threatening it stared at me. I grabbed two knives, and reached over and slit it's throat. Then used the bigger sharper one to do it again.
Ochun
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: The cougar, the snakes, the knife.

Postby Sheena » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:00 pm

Abraxas is the Gnostic deity with snakes for legs.
Dreamer kills the lion which is itself. Dreamer can fill in this personal allusion. Eliminating an old way of being to allow for newness.
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby Athanor » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:42 am

Although in order to provide a more accurate interpretation it would usually be best to have some general background information about you (and a description of events just before this very frightening dream), a few ideas can be tried out to see if they might fit your personal situation in some way.

There are very many meanings that can be attached to the image of snakes in dreams, but the central one is that they represent energy itself inside our bodies and minds. This energy can of course take very many forms (e.g. there are hundreds of snakes), and sometimes this can be frightening to deal with.

For example, all sorts of strong emotions can threaten to take over such as anger, pride, resentment, sex, jealousy, wanting power etc. etc. In the dream, you escape the snakes by hiding inside some rooms, but your dad comes and takes you outside. The image of a father in dreams often symbolizes the idea of being empowered and effective overall from learning from our experiences and never giving up when trying new things that can be hard to master at first.

Trying to run away from dealing with various challenges and the unpleasant fears etc. that go along with them unfortunately won’t work very well (e.g. you ran inside but the snakes came in too). On the other hand, facing instinctive emotions and learning how to handle them over time can lead to ongoing self-development and new growth of your personality. This is also symbolized by snakes who “become new” by shedding their skins.

Later in the dream, you’re driving along and see a mountain lion which can also known as a cougar, puma, or panther. Such cats are on a much higher level than snakes in the animal kingdom but also symbolize psychological energies which can be intensely transforming and valuable. For example, Swiss analyst Ruth Ammon says that a panther for a woman symbolizes the dark, feminine passion that is always independent and subject to no man.

This general feeling of control and confidence when we’re in touch with our animal side is described by Neil Russack in “Animal Guides in Life, Myth and Dreams”:

“True to its nature, the animal lives in the moment. It teaches us to trust our instincts without calculation. It helps us to return to a more immediate, powerfully embodied way of acting in the world. We begin to listen to our emotions, trusting a true response. We wake up in the morning and suddenly know in our bones what we have to do. And, curiously, we are not afraid. We know what is right and we do it. We don’t have to prove anything or justify our response; we are like the animal, valued for its own sake. It no longer matters how we dress or whether we find the correct words for our intentions.
The reality that comes from sharing in the power of the animal and the dream world makes our life feel natural. We become like an animal, experiencing reality directly, without premeditation.”

In your dream, the mountain lion frightens you, which is understandable, but it’s non-threatening. Symbolically, what makes it frightening is that in the doorway, it’s “behind” you, that is, what it stands for is mostly unconscious at this time. The dream seems to say that this potentially helpful part of yourself wants to become part of your everyday life (e.g. it apparently followed you in a friendly way from the road). But even though it’s not trying to attack, you killed the mountain lion with two knives.

The problem is that if we “kill” our instinctive side (that is, by making it “totally unconscious” in everyday life), it will tend to turn against us causing, for instance, unpleasant physical or psychological symptoms over time.

So it’s probably best if you tried to gradually learn to accept this earthy, emotional, and sometimes disruptive side of yourself instead of “killing it off”. But of course, “animal energies” can be dangerous and it’s necessary to have a very firm but at the same time humble attitude towards them in order that they can be creative rather than destructive.

Anyway as mentioned, without knowing anything about you, this way of looking at your dream might not fit your personal circumstances very well, but I hope that these ideas can be helpful in some way.

Please make any comments or ask any questions about this interpretation that you’d like to.
Athanor
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Sheena » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Beautiful Jungian explication by thane. Recommend dreamer read it over and over.
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Return to Nightmares And Night Terrors