Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Weird scary dream

What dream horrors are haunting you in your sleep? Do you wake up sweating, screaming, or heart pounding? Share and cope with your own disturbing nightmares here.

Weird scary dream

Postby HugoD1998 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:10 am

Hi Guys!!
So I had the weirdest dream this morning! I dreamt I was doing alpinnism with my mum (she's passionate about it), as we were walking on the snow covered mountain, I video-called my grandpa (who currently has cancer). I was showing him the beautiful sight, and then showed him my dog (wich is a beagle) who was lying down in a hole in the snow. Just as I turned over there was a white wolf (wich I thought was a dog at first) just starring at me. I then starded to panic. Thats the weird part, from nowhere I started rushing down the extremely steep mountain on skis (when I didnt have skis on, its like the skis appearded from nowhere). As I was rushing down to certain death, I noticed the paw of a dead animal under the snow.
And I woke up as I was still skying down to death! What do you guys think it means?
HugoD1998
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Weird scary dream

Postby Athanor » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:08 pm

Although in order to provide a more accurate interpretation it would usually be best to have some additional general background information about you (and a description of events just before this very scary dream), it looks like it’s about a problem connected with how you deal with your instinctive side as symbolized by the scary white wolf.

Just to mention to start off that there are generally no rigidly fixed interpretations for a given image in a dream, and it’s always best to have the memories, thoughts and feelings of the dreamer about each image and event in a dream.

That way, a better analysis is more likely, but all the same, there are some general symbolic motifs that appear in dreams which can serve as a basic starting point for discovering its meaning.

Also, it’s important to say that the language of dreams is one based on analogies and metaphors which can often be hard to understand.

In addition, dreams are the broad equivalent to those processes which keep our physical bodies in an equilibrium.

For example, as you know, automatic adjustments are continually made to keep a person’s temperature, blood sugar level, water content etc. etc. at the correct levels.

In an equivalent way, dreams try to maintain an overall psychological balance which will allow for the gradual all-round self-development of the dreamer.

Also, looking at the stories, myths and art etc. about a given image as created by people over thousands of years can be very helpful in providing useful parallels which can clarify its meaning in a modern dream.

In your dream, you’re on a high snowy mountain with your mum. Being so high up in the thin air and near the blue sky often symbolizes the idea of being too close to the thinking side of things and far away from the warmer feeling side.

While thoughts and the intellect etc. can be “pure” and “beautiful” (e.g. you video-called your grandpa to show him the beautiful sight), sometimes if taken too far, this can harm your instincts (e.g. your dog is for some reason in a hole in the cold snow instead of running around and also enjoying the walk).

In your dream, a white wolf appears who just looks at you, suggesting that he’s “angry” with you for some reason and could “attack”.

Animals in dreams somehow symbolize the dreamer’s overall way of handling natural instinctive emotions, vague feelings, intuitions and even cold thoughts and actions that are sometimes needed to defend ourselves in certain situations (just like a quiet mother bear etc. will suddenly turn very savage if her cubs are in danger).

In your case, it looks like you could be very scared of looking at instincts that are deeper than what your dog symbolizes and this is very understandable. But gradually facing head-on various frightening and powerful emotions (e.g. the white wolf) can in the end help us to find their opposite; that is, an all-round conscious awareness of the opposites of nature in general that can help to tame them in some way. For example, it’s not easy to accept the presence of both love and hate, kindness and cruelty, acceptance and rejection, generosity and selfishness and so on.

The analogy of our need to accept and to “be like a wolf”, that is, to be in touch with our instinctive side, is described by Valerie Harris in “Dreaming of Animals”:

“Contrary to the false negative beliefs [about wolves], in some cultures wolves have been sacred. Indians, for instance, viewed wolves as an embodiment of the Great Spirit. Just as Indians learned from wolves, so too may we allow wolves to help shape our character…

When you dream about wolves, single out which qualities of the wolf – such as liveliness, fight, hunger, sagacity, or perceptiveness – are being emphasized. Consider how you can increase any of these in your life…

Through inner dialogue with the wolves during the course of your life, you could bring their knowledge about strategy, play, bonding, or fight to bear on your problems.

Wolves can teach us how to face the dangers of life and keep moving even while injured. Their strong resolve can help us attack our culture’s wrongs and cruelties. Their presence in our consciousness can aid us in eluding nay-sayers or those who throw water on our creative fires. They encourage us to explore, loop back and circle around, defend ourselves with ferocity…

The ability to strategize and lead offenses when necessary is one of the wolf’s talents. Yet, wolves have such mastery that when they return home, tired and worn, from an all night’s hunt for food, they become completely gentle as the pups greet them, hit on their bodies and frolic.”

In the dream, you panic and flee the wolf by going down the extremely steep and snowy mountain to what you believe could be your death. Symbolically, this would mean that you could end up totally “dead” to emotions (e.g. be covered up by the snow) and to other natural instinctive ways that the psyche can help and guide you more effectively.

If this way of looking at your scary dream seems to make any sense, a book that I often recommend is “Meeting the Shadow”, edited by Connie Zweig and Jeremiah Abrams. It covers the idea of the earthy, shadowy, emotional and instinctive side of human nature that we may not feel very comfortable with, and covers how to deal with it in detail. It's easy to read, being made up of short articles by various authors inside and outside the psychological community.

Other books to choose from on this subject include “Owning Your Own Shadow” by Robert Johnson, “Romancing the Shadow” by Connie Zweig and Steven Wolf, “Make Friends with your Shadow” by William Miller, “Your Shadow” by Robin Robertson, and “A Little Book on the Human Shadow” by Robert Bly.

Anyway as mentioned, without knowing anything much about you, this way of looking at your dream might not fit your personal situation very well, but I hope that these ideas can be helpful in some way.

Please make any comments or ask any questions about this interpretation that you’d like to.
Athanor
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Re: Weird scary dream

Postby Sheena » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:22 pm

First, use a damn dictionary!!

The picture dreamt is of Goya's famous El perro semihumido. What is most natural and basic to the dreamer is half hidden from him, bc of a vague ideal he aspires to. That would refer to feelings. Note the contrast between distant grandparent dying of cancer, and euphoria (dreamer is literally on top of the world). So consider either avoidance of grief, or repression of taboo feelings which are negative about the grandfather.
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Return to Nightmares And Night Terrors