Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

I can't sleep anymore because of my dreams

What dream horrors are haunting you in your sleep? Do you wake up sweating, screaming, or heart pounding? Share and cope with your own disturbing nightmares here.

I can't sleep anymore because of my dreams

Postby FedoraTipper » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:07 pm

Hello,

This is my first post on this website. Typically I deal with sleep related troubles on my own, but I'm kind of desperate.

It is very common for me to have nightmares. They don't normally disrupt my sleep and have a become a constant in my life. I think it's a way for my brain to work out my stresses. I'm an anxious person and will deal with depression once in a while. It's nothing serious. I've never felt the need to be medicated.

Well, recently everything has changed. The past week or so I’ve been having absolutely awful nightmares. They are extremely vivid and they make it incredibly difficult to sleep. Nearly every one of them involves someone trying to murder me or my friends. I’m going to describe the one I had last night. Please give any insight you have! Thank you.

Alright, so in my dream my family and I were staying at an Air B&B for “Christmas”. I put Christmas in quotes because it was October and very near Halloween in the dream as well. I am 22 and do not live with my family so I don’t often dream of them. We are a small family of my mother and father, my younger brother (20) and myself. I think I immediately knew there was something wrong as the dream began. It really started when a group of 3 girls visited the Air B&B. At this point it was night and my family had either gone to bed or had left. These 3 girls were people I knew in the dream, but had no connection to in real life. Their dynamic very much resembled the relationship between Regina George and her minions. However, they were much less cartoony and acted like adults. I don’t remember much of this part because it wasn’t a focal point of the dream. They had brought me Christmas presents and a Christmas tree. We were all just talking when the ring leader girl stabbed me. I screamed and asked why she was doing this. She said she hated me and I deserved to die. I spent the rest of the night hiding from them as they stalked me about the house. Periodically they would find me hiding in a cupboard and catch me with the knife.

Eventually I was able to get outside. That’s when I saw my boyfriend and two of our friends walking up the driveway. They were accompanied by a tall African American man. I wouldn’t mention his ethnicity, but it’s relevant to the dream. I ran towards them, screaming for help. That’s when I realized they were there to kill me as well. I ran for my car, but soon discovered that my engine and breaks had been tampered with. My car couldn’t stop and it couldn’t go over 5 miles per hour. Fortunately, The air B&B was at the top of the hill. I used the hill to accelerate the car and started speeding away. Because I couldn’t stop, I started side swiping other cars as I attempted to get around them. Eventually my boyfriend and his friends caught up to me in their car and ran me off the road. My car crashed into a tree. I stumbled out of the car and ran for a black range rover that was stopped at a light. The man rolled down the window and asked me what was wrong. I asked him to get me to the hospital or to the police station. That’s when the African American man that was with my friends approached. He spoke to the man in the car, who was also African American and said “You don’t wanna help her. She’s white. She’s just playing games.” The man in the car laughed, agreeing and drove away. At this point my boyfriend dragged me into their car and started driving back to the Air B&B

We sat in the car for a moment. I was crying. I decided to ask my boyfriend why he was doing this. He told me he was tired of dating m and didn’t want to go through the trouble of breaking up with me. I told him I understood and if he let me go I would never bother him again. That’s when our friend in the back seat said “you’re an idiot. He’s playing with your head”.

When we got back to the Air B&B, the girls were waiting for me in the living room. I sat on a chair and the guys went into a different room. The girls told me that they were going to torture me and then kill themselves. They said life was meaningless and so it didn’t matter. One of the girls said she’d even die now, so that I could see how meaningless it was. The ringleader girl pulled a dull, table knife out of her jacked and slowly plunged it into the other girls chest. As it went into her skin the girl started hysterically laughing, then screaming and then she died. During her death I was somehow able to get away and hid in a closet. The girls eventually found me and stabbed me repeatedly. Before I died I set an alarm on my phone for the day before.

When I woke up, still in the dream, I was just arriving with my family again. This time I knew I needed to hide or I’d be killed. I told my family to leave and I found a hiding place in the house. It wasn’t long until the girls showed up, but this time, the African American man was with them. They found me hiding in the bathroom closet and pull me out. The three girls then proceeded to sit in the bathtub, turn on the water and slit their wrists. They pulled me in with them and told me nothing mattered. The man just watched us as they died. Soon my boyfriend and his friends showed up. I ran outside and started sprinting to this park looking for help. Everyone laughed at me and said I was a great actor. No one believed I was really in danger. I don’t remember how this happened, but one of my friends finally caught me and stabbed me repeatedly until I bled out on a picnic table as people at their dinner at it. That’s when I woke up.

This dream was so incredibly long. There was so much more hiding and evading that I don’t remember or didn’t feel the need to include. This dream felt like a week. It was insane and so stressful.

I just want to add that where I am in my life right now is wonderful. I just got a promotion. I don’t have any money struggles. I will be moving in the next 6 months. If you have any explanation for this dream I’d appreciate it.
FedoraTipper
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: I can't sleep anymore because of my dreams

Postby Athanor » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:53 pm

It looks like it could be possible that, because you’re sometimes susceptible to feeling a little depressed and anxious, even the upcoming “good” stresses of dealing with your new promotion and moving in a few months might be in the back of your mind and stirring up some old worries and anxieties.

These could be related to feelings of self-worth that unfortunately might not yet be strong enough in yourself to successfully ward off self-doubts about your innate ability to handle various challenges.

This idea might be supported, for example, if by chance your promotion came through about a week ago when the recent nightmares began.

In this way of looking at your upsetting nightmare, the idea of “Christmas” might symbolize the idea of celebration and renewal that surrounds the good things that are happening right now but which unhappily could be undermined by the “Halloween” appearance of the “ghosts” of anxiety (as symbolized by the three girls or destructive “witches” who at first appear friendly).

The ringleader reminded you of Regina George whose main trait was to make other girls around her feel inferior, so she and the other girls might represent a part of your feeling-side that unfortunately “rejects” you for no reason. Wanting you to “die” could mean that there’s a danger of negative feelings about yourself becoming too strong and making you feel “dead” like when you’re feeling too depressed at times.

Your boyfriend and the African American man could probably represent similar negative parts of yourself, but more along the lines of almost unconscious self-hurtful thoughts and opinions (as opposed to feelings) such as “You’re so dumb they’ll soon reverse your promotion and send you packing” etc. etc.

Generally speaking, a vehicle in dreams (whether a truck, car, bicycle, ship or aircraft etc.) represents a complex mix of the physical body along with the dreamer’s interests, drives, wishes and beliefs etc. etc. So it symbolizes a kind of body-and-mind mix with which the person moves through daily life. In your dream, the car’s been “tampered” with, possibly representing the idea that the nightmares you’ve been having are affecting your sleep, leading to less energy (e.g. the car can go only 5 mph) and causing decision making etc. to be harder to do (e.g. there are no brakes which should be there to “stop running into” various obstacles etc. for no reason). Apparently, things could get worse in this connection if you don’t manage to control enough any negative feelings and thoughts about yourself (e.g. your boyfriend and his friends run you off the road, causing you to run into a tree, and you end up back with the girls who end up stabbing you).

The dream seems to emphasize the need to protect yourself from these self-hurtful attitudes by repeating the scene of going to the AirB&B but this time you’re more prepared for what’s going to happen. The way the dream ends is probably saying that first and foremost you have to rely on yourself to take the initiative to stop this inner self-destructive mind-set in order to avoid being “killed” by any numbing feelings and thoughts in the future.

If these ideas seem to fit your own situation in some way, you might like to read “The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression: A Step-by-Step Program” even though you’re not really feeling depressed at this time. That way, you could help to ward off any self-hurtful ideas and feelings etc. more effectively over time.

Anyway, without knowing anything much about you, this way of looking at your very upsetting dream might not fit your personal circumstances very well, but I hope that these ideas can be helpful in some way.

Please feel free to comment on, or to ask any questions about, this particular way of looking at your dream.
Athanor
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Return to Nightmares And Night Terrors