Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Recurring dream neglecting pets

What dream horrors are haunting you in your sleep? Do you wake up sweating, screaming, or heart pounding? Share and cope with your own disturbing nightmares here.

Recurring dream neglecting pets

Postby Chechechelss » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:25 am

So I keep having this dream every few weeks and it is so awful it disturbs me for most of the day.
Usually, I am house sitting for someone, or just moved in somewhere new and I discover there are a number of pets like dogs and cats outside that have not had food or water or shelter for weeks, even months (yet somehow still alive). I am terrified and usually try to assess the situation from behind the window and I don't face the situation because I feel so guilty and scared of what I will find. Sometimes I am alone but sometimes I am with my (recently broken up with) fiance who I am furious at because he failed to mention the animals before.
Sometimes in the dream, the pets have multiplied and there are babies everywhere which grosses me out and the parents have been eating the babies for food. Sometimes the animals are diseased and feral. But last night it was awful. As well as animals, there was also a child who I care for in after school hours care. He is 8 and is on the autism spectrum. In the dream, he was out there for weeks with no food or water and living with diseased animals. His hair had grown long and he was very dirty and confused. I was mortified. He complained of feeling very ill.
But the worst thing has to be, that even though I have neglected them, the dogs wag their tails and lick me and are excited to see me and treat me like their rescuer.
It's just awful!!!!!

I guess this means I am neglecting a part of myself or something? I don't have pets but I do house sit for people with pets occasionally- but have always fed them correctly. I have been extremely busy with study and work which led to the end of my relationship but wasn't the main cause. I'm not upset about the end of it, it was my decision. I just want to know why I am having these dreams so often!!! :( :shock:
Chechechelss
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Recurring dream neglecting pets

Postby Sheena » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:00 pm

Chechechelss wrote:I guess this means I am neglecting a part of myself or something?
Of course and you know what it is and refuse to admit it.
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby Chrysta » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:32 am

I can't help with the cause of the dream. But I do suffer from dreams very similar to yours. And lots of variations on the same theme.

I believe my dreams stem from my deep fear of losing my own pets, whom I am very close to, and the fear of them being hurt, killed or dying. I also hate to see animals in distress, and I sometimes feel guilty that I don't feel like I can do more to help animals in need because seeing them hurt, hurts me too much.

I have dreams where just realized that I was supposed to be caring for a large group of animals, and that I had forgotten about them, and they didn't have food or water for an extended period. I feel horrible because forgetting about them is the last thing I would ever do, and I don't know how it happened. Usually there is a group of dogs out in a back yard, and a group of cats in a room with some in cages and some out free. I don't think I've ever found any dead, which doesn't make any sense. But they are hungry or thirsty and they are scared or sad that I left them. I give them food and water and the dream pretty much ends there.

I have dreams where I've taken feral cats into my home, but I forget they are there and feel horrible when I remember that I haven't fed them.

I have dreams where my own pets are hurt, or dying. That someone hurt them to hurt me. Or they were hit by a car or attacked or something. Sometimes it's very gory, which is extremely upsetting to me. A lot of the time I can't save them. I rush to them and know I have to get them to a hospital, but somehow I never do. Either they die, or start to get better or the dream ends. In dreams I have of my house flooding and sinking, many times I know my pets are trapped inside the house. Most of the time I can't save any of them, or just one of two of them.

I also have dreams sometimes involving my pets, sometimes just random animals, usually cats, that for some crazy reason either the cat is extremely small like palm size or even coin size, or they keep getting smaller. I am trying to hold them and care for them, but they get so small that I lose them, or somehow someone is able to step on them or they get swept away in water.

And dreams that occur usually with a pet that is deceased in real life, but not in the dream. I will see the pet walk in the room and then sometime later I will see a copy of the same pet, sometimes multiples. But I know somehow that only one version of the animal is the real one, and the other(s) is evil. I have to quickly find the real one and keep them inside while I force the evil ones outside.

All of these dreams are very disturbing to me. I wish I could stop having them, or at least change the dream or wake up from it, but I can't seem to.
Chrysta
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby Sheena » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:32 pm

These dreams are about your own vulnerability and you changing your stance about it.
Until you face up to that you will keep having them.
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Return to Nightmares And Night Terrors