Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Over two months and nightmare is still vivid

What dream horrors are haunting you in your sleep? Do you wake up sweating, screaming, or heart pounding? Share and cope with your own disturbing nightmares here.

Over two months and nightmare is still vivid

Postby Tia_RaRa » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:59 pm

I think it's probably closer to 2.5 or even 3 months since I had this nightmare. I was staying with my sister when it took place, and I haven't been able to shake how vivid it was. It's always there in the back of my mind, and then something triggers me and I remember it. I sob as hard as I did the first time each and every time it's brought forward into my consciousness.

I was at my sister's apartment in the nightmare and was responsible for taking care of my niece. My sister wasn't in the apartment at the time. I remember going outside onto the deck with my niece, and it looked like the same deck where they live now, and yet... not. Something was off there and I don't know what it was. There's a big picture window in the apartment so I could see right onto the deck and keep watch. Next thing I knew, my niece got snatched and in the seconds it too me in my dream to get out the door, she was gone. I called and called to her with no reply, and then the dreamscape changed. It was still an apartment building, but was no longer the same one. There were crisscrossed silver bars going up and down the stories of the building. I called out for my niece again - completely frantic, and I heard something that made me look up. One level above me and just out of my reach was my little niece (she's 3) wearing a sunsuit her uncle and I bought her when she was 18 months old, but it fit her. She was bound by heavy chains behind her back, tied to the silver bars. She had tape over her mouth that I could see when she turned to look at me from over her shoulder. I could hear her trying to call out to me, but it was muffled. Her eyes were so scared.

(I'm crying even now.)

I ran back into the apartment to call the police and to tell my sister because somehow I knew she was there now. Somehow I knew she was taking a bath, and then I could hear water running. When I opened the bathroom door, she was floating face down in the tub. When I turned her over, the tub overflowed with the still running water, and she slid out toward me with her eyes opened but very obviously gone, and I screamed. And I ran back outside screaming for help.

There was a group of people standing around looking down at the ground, and no one was making a move, so I flew down the stairs from the second floor - and it was back to looking like her apartment then because the stairs were metal. When I hit the ground, I just knew, but I walked around the bushes (there in real life, too), and saw a tiny foot with a blue sock. I knew it was my niece. I called out her name and started sobbing, and went down on my knees to pick up this little figure in a red hoodie and jeans, and the hood was up. I picked her up and said her name and she turned her face toward me and it was battered and bruised and she had been beaten to a pulp and then left there.

She said my name and put her arms up for me and then I woke up sobbing, and had to leave the apartment and go outside to cry without waking anyone.

I hate that it is so vivid and get put me in such a state constantly. I'm bawling like a fool right now relating it again. Why won't this go away? I just want to forget it.
Tia_RaRa
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Over two months and nightmare is still vivid

Postby tosimplycontinue » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:21 pm

I think you want to protect those who are close to you. Nightmares center on our worst fears, and I think that's one of yours. That's probably why it's stayed with you. Maybe what you could do is ask your sister what she would do or what she wants you to do if something like that arises. I find that learning more about what scares me and how to combat it usually helps ease my anxiety. But I'm no expert.
But I totally get you. Most nightmares I get are vivid and violent like that, and they usually stay with me too. I still remember nightmares I had as a toddler.
Hope this helps!
tosimplycontinue
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby slibbyrn » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:40 pm

Hi Tia_RaRa,
I can feel the terrifying emotions and fear you are feeling from this dream, and I can understand why! Dreams that create such an overwhelming emotional response tend to stick with me for months (some even years!) I would agree with the other person who posted in that you are afraid of your niece being kidnapped or harmed in someway while she is your responsibility. You are also afraid of your sister being harmed. It is obvious that you love them both very much. I would talk to your sister about your fears but I wouldn't give her all the details of your dream. I'm sorry that you experienced such an awful nightmare and I hope you are able to find a way to use it to your advantage! Take care. -slibbyrn
slibbyrn
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby lukiusjohn » Tue May 02, 2017 10:40 pm

maybe you needed the dreams to kick you into the right gears,

i notice sometimes when i am going off in the wrong path inside myself that is when i start having nightmares,

it is important to remember that these terrible types of things do happen, thankfully not very often.
lukiusjohn
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Return to Nightmares And Night Terrors