Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Not my dog...

What dream horrors are haunting you in your sleep? Do you wake up sweating, screaming, or heart pounding? Share and cope with your own disturbing nightmares here.

Not my dog...

Postby Keh26 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:03 pm

So as a little bit of background, my 11 year old dog died 3 weeks ago from a fast growing cancer. My parents and I were told she would have 4-5 months and instead she got 6 weeks. Even in her last days she was always very happy to see us whenever we came home from school or work.

In my dream last night, my dad and I were in an apartment where we were living (but isn't a place we have actually lived) and we're talking in the hall way when a black blur went past us. We turned and looked in the kitchen and there was my dog eating out of her bowl (she is a black and brown dog). We were both very confused and a little freaked out because she was dead in my dream as well. In fact, she has passed and been cremated in both real life and my dream, but in my dream we had buried her ashes as well. Not only were we freaked out that she was alive, but she looked just a little different too; she was missing one of her nails on her front left foot and the tip of one of her ears was missing (maybe left ear?). So we knew this was strange, but what are you going to do, throw your dog out on the street? So we went in and pet her and she felt like she did when she was alive, but she acted different. She wasn't unhappy to see us, but it felt more like she was tolerating the attention. So still feeling strange about all of this, my dad went back to work (he works from home) and I decided to take the dog to see my mom at her work.

So I took the dog to the elementary school where my mom teaches and again, she was confused but happy to see the dog (who was really like a 2nd child to them and a little sister to me) and the dog acted like she was tolerating the attention rather than being happy to see her. Also strange, the dog wasn't on a leash which we never did because even in her old age my dog liked to run off.

So we were heading back home, me still feeling uneasy about this whole thing, when suddenly something happened, but I can't remember what. We were in a busy square that I've never been to before and "my" dog changed into what I would call a hellhound. That's what I considered it in my dream too. It was the size of a horse but was grey and shaggy like a wolf. It was trying to attack anyone it could reach, but not to kill them, just to bite them. I knew the bite did something bad, and remember viewing it like a zombie bite (the bite transformed you somehow) but it wasn't able to reach me so I ran and then I woke up.

I don't remember my dreams very often and I think I've had a total of 5 nightmares in my 25 years, so the fact that this one felt so personal and clear seems significant. I've done research and can't find any note of hellhounds shapeshifting in legends.

Thank you for your thoughts!
Keh26
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Not my dog...

Postby Chrysta » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:46 am

I've had dreams that are a little similar to yours.

Usually it occurs with a pet that is deceased in real life, but not in the dream. I will see the pet walk in the room and then sometime later I will see a copy of the same pet, sometimes multiples. But I know somehow that only one version of the animal is the real one, and the other(s) is evil. I have to quickly find the real one and keep them inside while I force the evil ones outside.

I also have dreams of pets being alive that I know should really be dead. Particularly, the first cat I ever had (for 16 years) we have buried in our backyard. But she will pop up in my dreams, and I am confused, because I don't understand if she was really ever dead, or if somehow we buried her alive. And I don't see her very often, like she isn't my normal pet that is around me constantly anymore, she only comes out of where ever she goes every few months or so. And she doesn't really need to eat, but I put food out for her. These dreams don't end up being disturbing though. It's usually like a 'oh, I forgot you were still around, but Hi!' or 'it's nice to see you again'.
Chrysta
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Return to Nightmares And Night Terrors