Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Has anyone else encountered a figure like this? (Long post)

What dream horrors are haunting you in your sleep? Do you wake up sweating, screaming, or heart pounding? Share and cope with your own disturbing nightmares here.

Has anyone else encountered a figure like this? (Long post)

Postby scarletteorchid » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:37 am

I have had vivid dreams as long as I can remember. I began having frequent nightmares and sleepwalking in my teens. My parents didn't remember me having a problem with sleepwalking, but they said they remembered the occasional nightmare that I may have had as a child. This problem in my late teens had cleared up after about 3 years. I'd have the occasional nightmare here and there. I began to write my dreams in a journal and try to find themes and meanings. I started thinking dreams were not only inside my own head when I had incidents where my mother and I had the same dream and later where a stranger and I recognized each other from a dream. The SAME one. The only difference was that his perspective was on another street corner and he saw what went on behind me. I began to take this seriously and view them as more of a spiritual thing.

Fast forward to 2013 and I began having nightmares again with rapid frequency. I guess the beginning of this activity was toward the end of 2012, but I really didn't have them as much. By frequent, I mean several a night for a few days. Then I would have insomnia. Repeat. MOST of these dreams were about someone specific for awhile. I had nightmares about them where they were a negative aspect, but overtime THOSE dreams lessened and something changed. I began to have "monster" dreams where I couldn't identify the "creature" or "being". This is when the dreams got severe and I began to sleepwalk again. The first dreams were piecey and rapid and would wake me several times a night. One night, I had 6 dreams that woke me from my sleep where I was attacked by this being. Of course, I was journaling this and trying to find information. After awhile the being began to take form and I began to see more features.

I was terrified of him (whatever he is, he is certainly male) and suffered insomnia, almost afraid to sleep. Things changed again. As the dreams evolved, so did the relation between myself and this monster. I started growing fond of him. I would have a nightmare and wake up, almost sad that it was over. I started looking forward to seeing him again. It felt strange because I was still terrified, but I felt this sense of pity and a strange obsession with him. I can't say I have ever been in love before, but I can say that if I have ever felt anything that I might be able to call as such, it would be for this monster. Before, I would be bothered by him and thinking of him throughout my day, but I began to think of him in a way that made me excited to sleep and see him again. To experience the bloodshed, the violence and the tears that came with this creature.

What was he? Well, as I said... I'm not sure. He is human-like in many ways. He stands on two legs, has two arms and a general structure of a human. The angrier he gets, the more he distorts. The dreams began with very little. I would be in a natural setting outdoors. Soon there would be this heavy fog that would take the area, making it almost impossible to see, then a smell would become apparent. There would be a strange, dusty sort of musk along with a sweet/almost floral scent. Like old, dried flowers. On top of that there would be a woodsy and ashy odor. There was a heaviness to it that reminded me of old books. Like something had been enclosed for a long time. The fog sometimes took on a heather-gray color - an almost purple hue. Once I was well aware of this, I would hear a strange sort of sound. Almost sobbing and an ebbing, groan. Then I heard the wings. A long, whipping of something that sounding like it had weight, but grace. The sounds would get closer until a face would emerge from the fog with jagged teeth and intense eyes, biting pieces of my body and leaving gaping wounds.

He is gray in color and pale. His wings are grayish with spots. Some spots look almost brown. His eyes are completely gray. There are no whites to his eyes, though the iris is a darker gray. The rims of his eyes and underneath are dark in color, like unrested eyes. His mouth is a dark gray or black with jagged teeth that are all pointed. His cheekbones are high and his eyes are large. With his mouth shut, he's almost alluring. His body is gaunt and looks almost sickly, but he has an insane amount of strength behind it. His hands are fairly normal, but with dark gray claw-like nails. They look overgrown more than they look like claws. His feet are the same way. He has long, stringy hair that looks almost greasy or oily and hangs in his face. His skin is dusty. Sometimes, when he is really upset, black fluid drips from his mouth. It doesn't appear to be oily, but it is thicker than water. Imagine a black saliva. He is naked, no clothing of any kind. His stomach is sometimes so gaunt that he looks "sucked in". Other times he looks a bit flatter.

For almost a year, THESE nightmares stopped completely. They finally returned within the last month. I've also had insomnia and a migraine I can't shake. These things seem to go hand-in-hand with my Gray Monster. Since I view dreams in a more spiritual way than a lot of people, I began trying to figure out what this creature represents and why I love him so much. Why, when no man can reach my heart, can a monster? I have discussed this with people, giving descriptions of dreams and sharing what he looked like and how he behaved. The most common suggestions are that he is some form of the Mothman or that he is a wendigo. I am curious to find out if anyone else has had dreams of this nature or if someone knows what this might be. Is this a common nightmare and I just haven't looked in the right place for information?
scarletteorchid
Dream Child
Dream Child

Re: Has anyone else encountered a figure like this? (Long po

Postby Domswallow » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:29 am

Hi,
You gave a very good description of your dreams, your psychological state and your physical wellbeing.
Your big mistake is to attach spiritual significance to your dreams.
Dreams are created by the subconscious to respond to external and internal influences during the sleep they happen in.
There is a stream of thoughts flowing through your mind during sleep.
You experience pain, discomfort, irritation, digestion problems and other minor physical disturbances during sleep. On top of that, sleeping in the same position for a long time causes pressure on parts of the body and you need to change sleeping position - usually without waking up completely.
First let's deal with your psychological state. You have relationship problems, especially male. You're afraid to start a natural male tofemale attachment. Insted when the thoughts of the problem intrude into your sleep your subconscious creats your favourite monster with enough menace to put you off men for good!
I'm sure you also have an allergy to to some food you eat the day before the dream. The relationship problem can also cause indigestion and and the resulting dream response to it.
Your migrain and headaches is probably the biggest cause of your nightmares. If it comes on during sleep you're bound to have a waking nightmare.
If you take any medicines that could make your dreams worse.
Perhaps sorting out your relationship problems or coming to terms with it, resolving it in some way could make your dreams less frequent.
Don't take your dreams too seriously. they are dreamt to solve the problems in the sleep. In time you will know what caused this or that dream.
Best wishes.
Domswallow
none the wiser
none the wiser

Postby scarletteorchid » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:13 pm

I definitely appreciate your feedback, but I don't think connecting my dreams to spiritual aspects of myself is a mistake. In other cases that are not even nightmare-related, I've experienced things that tell me that dreams are more than just something going on inside my own head. There is a long list of these incidents, too. I don't expect people to agree with me, but I know what I believe and feel to be true. That said, I'm not saying dreams can't be something that is going on inside the mind and taking form in dreams as monsters or negative events. I do think it can go both ways and a lot of what you said makes sense to an extent, but I don't really push men away. I feel more drawn to romance by this creature than pushed away from it. I honestly don't feel anything in particular when it comes to general relationships with men as far as this creature is concerned.

As I stated, there is a sense of pity there as well. A need to help or heal something in this monster is there as well. This made me wonder if it was supposed to be an aspect of myself? Though, I can't identify what. Again, I don't expect someone to agree with my believe that dreams reach further than our own bodies, but I can't discount that strong feeling I have, either.
scarletteorchid
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby Domswallow » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I interpret dreams from a long experience and from a logical angle. However I do not expect everyone to agree with my interpretations. If it helps I'm pleased, but I don't take umbrage if it is not accepted.
Domswallow
none the wiser
none the wiser

Postby scarletteorchid » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:11 pm

I try to remain logical, but not ignore my spirituality at the same time. I do believe in good balance. I know there isn't truly a monster that is stalking me and invading my dreams. I know this must be a symbol of something. That said, I don't know that it is simply just my view toward people. It could be something that I am experiencing in a spiritual sense that holds some weight internally, yet I "fear" it too much to face it otherwise. I guess I feel that my spiritual journey is likely related because it is more important to me than my physical experience. You could still be right and I am definitely journaling and considering it.

You seem reasonable and I like that you are very aware of practical things that cause problems in sleep. I've seen some of your posts and some make a lot of sense. As I said, balance is good. Spirituality is important, but so is realizing that your body may be experiencing discomfort. I try to consider all facets.
scarletteorchid
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby XANA » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:02 pm

scarletteorchid wrote:I have had vivid dreams as long as I can remember. I began having frequent nightmares and sleepwalking in my teens. My parents didn't remember me having a problem with sleepwalking, but they said they remembered the occasional nightmare that I may have had as a child. This problem in my late teens had cleared up after about 3 years. I'd have the occasional nightmare here and there. I began to write my dreams in a journal and try to find themes and meanings. I started thinking dreams were not only inside my own head when I had incidents where my mother and I had the same dream and later where a stranger and I recognized each other from a dream. The SAME one. The only difference was that his perspective was on another street corner and he saw what went on behind me. I began to take this seriously and view them as more of a spiritual thing.

Fast forward to 2013 and I began having nightmares again with rapid frequency. I guess the beginning of this activity was toward the end of 2012, but I really didn't have them as much. By frequent, I mean several a night for a few days. Then I would have insomnia. Repeat. MOST of these dreams were about someone specific for awhile. I had nightmares about them where they were a negative aspect, but overtime THOSE dreams lessened and something changed. I began to have "monster" dreams where I couldn't identify the "creature" or "being". This is when the dreams got severe and I began to sleepwalk again. The first dreams were piecey and rapid and would wake me several times a night. One night, I had 6 dreams that woke me from my sleep where I was attacked by this being. Of course, I was journaling this and trying to find information. After awhile the being began to take form and I began to see more features.

I was terrified of him (whatever he is, he is certainly male) and suffered insomnia, almost afraid to sleep. Things changed again. As the dreams evolved, so did the relation between myself and this monster. I started growing fond of him. I would have a nightmare and wake up, almost sad that it was over. I started looking forward to seeing him again. It felt strange because I was still terrified, but I felt this sense of pity and a strange obsession with him. I can't say I have ever been in love before, but I can say that if I have ever felt anything that I might be able to call as such, it would be for this monster. Before, I would be bothered by him and thinking of him throughout my day, but I began to think of him in a way that made me excited to sleep and see him again. To experience the bloodshed, the violence and the tears that came with this creature.

What was he? Well, as I said... I'm not sure. He is human-like in many ways. He stands on two legs, has two arms and a general structure of a human. The angrier he gets, the more he distorts. The dreams began with very little. I would be in a natural setting outdoors. Soon there would be this heavy fog that would take the area, making it almost impossible to see, then a smell would become apparent. There would be a strange, dusty sort of musk along with a sweet/almost floral scent. Like old, dried flowers. On top of that there would be a woodsy and ashy odor. There was a heaviness to it that reminded me of old books. Like something had been enclosed for a long time. The fog sometimes took on a heather-gray color - an almost purple hue. Once I was well aware of this, I would hear a strange sort of sound. Almost sobbing and an ebbing, groan. Then I heard the wings. A long, whipping of something that sounding like it had weight, but grace. The sounds would get closer until a face would emerge from the fog with jagged teeth and intense eyes, biting pieces of my body and leaving gaping wounds.

He is gray in color and pale. His wings are grayish with spots. Some spots look almost brown. His eyes are completely gray. There are no whites to his eyes, though the iris is a darker gray. The rims of his eyes and underneath are dark in color, like unrested eyes. His mouth is a dark gray or black with jagged teeth that are all pointed. His cheekbones are high and his eyes are large. With his mouth shut, he's almost alluring. His body is gaunt and looks almost sickly, but he has an insane amount of strength behind it. His hands are fairly normal, but with dark gray claw-like nails. They look overgrown more than they look like claws. His feet are the same way. He has long, stringy hair that looks almost greasy or oily and hangs in his face. His skin is dusty. Sometimes, when he is really upset, black fluid drips from his mouth. It doesn't appear to be oily, but it is thicker than water. Imagine a black saliva. He is naked, no clothing of any kind. His stomach is sometimes so gaunt that he looks "sucked in". Other times he looks a bit flatter.

For almost a year, THESE nightmares stopped completely. They finally returned within the last month. I've also had insomnia and a migraine I can't shake. These things seem to go hand-in-hand with my Gray Monster. Since I view dreams in a more spiritual way than a lot of people, I began trying to figure out what this creature represents and why I love him so much. Why, when no man can reach my heart, can a monster? I have discussed this with people, giving descriptions of dreams and sharing what he looked like and how he behaved. The most common suggestions are that he is some form of the Mothman or that he is a wendigo. I am curious to find out if anyone else has had dreams of this nature or if someone knows what this might be. Is this a common nightmare and I just haven't looked in the right place for information?

I know what is happening here, and you are probably not gonna like the answer. I'm not going to decipher your dream yet. It will take a while.

First of all, what things look like in dreams is never the answer to what it means/reflects about you. You may want it to be, but trust me. For your sanity and mine. Whether your dream entities are fluffy bunnies or demons. It doesn't matter. You yourself are catalyzing these dreams by thinking about them way too much. They will only keep getting worse unless you stop thinking about, trying to give them meaning all the time. Just don't even think about the nightmares at all. Do a task such as reading, or playing a video game for an hour or so before bed to get your mind off of it. Your dreams will reflect obsession. Since you are experiencing a want to have these dreams. Then you are addicted to the fear. Kinda like a thrill seeker, but in the dream world. You think this stuff is outside of you, or that something about your spirituality is affecting you. This is not the case. This is just your brain playing what you want. I would say its something close to suppressed sexual desires. Perhaps you have a fetish you don't know about (dominatrix/vorephilia which doesn't mean what you think it means. I'm referring to psychological takeover, possession, or alter ego who consumes who you are), and its manifesting into these dreams. Having a fetish that can only be acted out in dreams can really suck too. It makes you get addicted to wanting to have these dreams.

Your probably gonna ask how do I know all this? How am I sure? Like I said before, I have been through this exact thing. If you have any questions, I will answer them.
I will answer any questions in PM.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない
XANA
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Postby lukiusjohn » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:28 pm

sounds like teenage romance for an Emo... ..jus teasing, ... ...

if it is true, to me it seems like more of an addiction to a lifestyle, or view of the world, ... like being in love with a depression, or mood, the spirit and presence is more potent then what most people bring to the room.

a person can have a relationship with whatever they want, loneliness, fame, ... on the other hand, keeping your friend in mind, he may remind you to what end so many things end up, the phrase " better the devil you know then the one you don't" did not get popular for no reason.

i have gotten familiar with certain feelings, i want to go to Heaven when i die, so ... your own personal Jesus might make a better companion, ... I don't think that there is anything wrong with believing God's relationship to each of us is directly different, if it wasn't then we just just be a blob...
lukiusjohn
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Re: THE CAUSE OF THE MONSTER SAGA

Postby Superman1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:12 pm

2012 - END OF YOUR WORLD
What went wrong toward the end of 2012 - perhaps when you looked forward to 2012? Was a specific person bothering you?
It lessened, then your fear took over you could not identify. To the extent the line between your conscious and subconscious was stepped over, causing sleepwalking. It bothered you that much.
The fear - maybe your personification of a guy or other person who did you bad or started by that - began to take form as you began to see more features of it.

ATRACTING TO THE MONSTER
Then, whether this monster was your fearful desire for love and not a real person, or your dark personification of yourself or your darkside, you began to pity yourself or maybe your idea of a companion or love, and become obsessed with the fear that moved you so.
Darkness can be as moving as light or positive emotions. Fear as much as love. It was part of you, so you felt fond of it. Hence you felt love toward yourself and what you were going through, and looked forward to the hurt, the mental violence or disturbance, and sadness - touching your deep self.

BEAUTY OF THE BEAST
The angrier you get, the more you distort.
In the fog of your mind which stops you seeing clearly, you'd smell your sweet hell. You'd been closed for a long time, dusty, dried, yet with beauty.
Your sadness made you groan, yet enabled you to take flight.
Much like the modern tale of the vampire, merging both darkness and light into otherworldly beauty in twilight. With grace that would kill you. But maybe you fell in love with the dark-side not for it has things the positive or normal does not, but because it was all you saw.
Lifeless yet alluring, as needy as starving, the sickly weakness made your strength by the insanity it is, but naked. You pity your inner monster the world made you become.

THE LAST MONTH
Something wrong happened to make your fears return. Was it another man? Or you thought of love again? Maybe love of yourself.
Yes, when no man can reach your heart, your view of a man who is a monster can.

CAUSE OF THE NIGHTMARE
Was your whole nightmare love was turned inside out for you, or took a nightmare turn in real life? Or just the start of it.
Or was it something general that happened to you?
Trace it back in your mind - date by date. The dreams aren't that important, but your thoughts and experience they reflect is. Then you should be able to match exactly the dream with reality. Maybe you need to ask yourself the right questions. Like: Is that monster about my desire for love or a guy, or is it my self-love? Or both.
Superman1
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby scarletteorchid » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:43 am

XANA wrote: I know what is happening here, and you are probably not gonna like the answer. I'm not going to decipher your dream yet. It will take a while.

First of all, what things look like in dreams is never the answer to what it means/reflects about you. You may want it to be, but trust me. For your sanity and mine. Whether your dream entities are fluffy bunnies or demons. It doesn't matter. You yourself are catalyzing these dreams by thinking about them way too much. They will only keep getting worse unless you stop thinking about, trying to give them meaning all the time. Just don't even think about the nightmares at all. Do a task such as reading, or playing a video game for an hour or so before bed to get your mind off of it. Your dreams will reflect obsession. Since you are experiencing a want to have these dreams. Then you are addicted to the fear. Kinda like a thrill seeker, but in the dream world. You think this stuff is outside of you, or that something about your spirituality is affecting you. This is not the case. This is just your brain playing what you want. I would say its something close to suppressed sexual desires. Perhaps you have a fetish you don't know about (dominatrix/vorephilia which doesn't mean what you think it means. I'm referring to psychological takeover, possession, or alter ego who consumes who you are), and its manifesting into these dreams. Having a fetish that can only be acted out in dreams can really suck too. It makes you get addicted to wanting to have these dreams.

Your probably gonna ask how do I know all this? How am I sure? Like I said before, I have been through this exact thing. If you have any questions, I will answer them.

I don’t actually think the way appearance is a reflection of anything as much as representation of something. WHAT it represents must have some significance. For example: Maybe I dream of a beautiful child, but realize later it’s symbolic of something negative. Perhaps I do not want to FACE something that appears negative, candy coating it. I pay attention to every detail I can remember, as it may tell me something about myself. Perhaps I am more drawn to certain things and I don’t realize it until I wake up and remember certain aspects of a dream. I simply don’t discount details. Yes, I am aware that the frequency of the dreams is brought upon by my obsession. That said, my obsession didn’t bring the creature back. I think it is part of the reason, but I also don’t have that much control.

I actually keep quite busy. Sometimes I do busy myself with my dream journal. Sometimes I just read a book that is unrelated to get my mind off of it. I’m also an artist. It’s not as though I have time on my hands. You must also remember that the dreams terrified me in the beginning. I actually did find distractions and kept running into these dreams regardless. It was a long time before I learned to not be afraid of this type of dream. Sure, it’s addicting at this time, but it wasn’t always like that.

You bring sexuality into it and I knew someone would. I can assure you that I am very aware of my sexuality and what is being expressed. I don’t think that is everyone’s business, but I truly have no problem expressing fetishes or desires with the right people. I will also address the realm of spirituality in this. If you had read the comments, you would see that I am not relying on spiritual messages from this. I am simply not discounting them. I feel that the point to this post was lost entirely. People only seem to read what they want and they come up with their response based on that. No offense, but I was not looking for someone to break down the meaning of the dream. I was simply wondering if this is a common visual that people have. I have heard stories of people dreaming of the same type of monster that was said to be a manifestation of “chaos”. This was not like mine at all, but I just wondered if it was something else that others have experienced.

lukiusjohn wrote:sounds like teenage romance for an Emo... ..jus teasing, ... ...

if it is true, to me it seems like more of an addiction to a lifestyle, or view of the world, ... like being in love with a depression, or mood, the spirit and presence is more potent then what most people bring to the room.

a person can have a relationship with whatever they want, loneliness, fame, ... on the other hand, keeping your friend in mind, he may remind you to what end so many things end up, the phrase " better the devil you know then the one you don't" did not get popular for no reason.

i have gotten familiar with certain feelings, i want to go to Heaven when i die, so ... your own personal Jesus might make a better companion, ... I don't think that there is anything wrong with believing God's relationship to each of us is directly different, if it wasn't then we just just be a blob...

It actually kind of does. The “love I’ll never touch” thing is QUITE emo. I think the end of the first thing you said makes a lot of sense. Sometimes seeking something more than what life is giving can drive one into something like this. The way one views the world and their relationship with it can manifest into something (like a monster). The need and want for it was an evolution and still something I am looking into and reflecting on. That’s part of this journey.

Superman1 wrote:2012 - END OF YOUR WORLD
What went wrong toward the end of 2012 - perhaps when you looked forward to 2012? Was a specific person bothering you?
It lessened, then your fear took over you could not identify. To the extent the line between your conscious and subconscious was stepped over, causing sleepwalking. It bothered you that much.
The fear - maybe your personification of a guy or other person who did you bad or started by that - began to take form as you began to see more features of it.

ATRACTING TO THE MONSTER
Then, whether this monster was your fearful desire for love and not a real person, or your dark personification of yourself or your darkside, you began to pity yourself or maybe your idea of a companion or love, and become obsessed with the fear that moved you so.
Darkness can be as moving as light or positive emotions. Fear as much as love. It was part of you, so you felt fond of it. Hence you felt love toward yourself and what you were going through, and looked forward to the hurt, the mental violence or disturbance, and sadness - touching your deep self.

BEAUTY OF THE BEAST
The angrier you get, the more you distort.
In the fog of your mind which stops you seeing clearly, you'd smell your sweet hell. You'd been closed for a long time, dusty, dried, yet with beauty.
Your sadness made you groan, yet enabled you to take flight.
Much like the modern tale of the vampire, merging both darkness and light into otherworldly beauty in twilight. With grace that would kill you. But maybe you fell in love with the dark-side not for it has things the positive or normal does not, but because it was all you saw.
Lifeless yet alluring, as needy as starving, the sickly weakness made your strength by the insanity it is, but naked. You pity your inner monster the world made you become.

THE LAST MONTH
Something wrong happened to make your fears return. Was it another man? Or you thought of love again? Maybe love of yourself.
Yes, when no man can reach your heart, your view of a man who is a monster can.

CAUSE OF THE NIGHTMARE
Was your whole nightmare love was turned inside out for you, or took a nightmare turn in real life? Or just the start of it.
Or was it something general that happened to you?
Trace it back in your mind - date by date. The dreams aren't that important, but your thoughts and experience they reflect is. Then you should be able to match exactly the dream with reality. Maybe you need to ask yourself the right questions. Like: Is that monster about my desire for love or a guy, or is it my self-love? Or both.

I keep a regular journal as well and have reflected on these things quite carefully. I do not care much for a lot of romance in my life and this keeps the romantic drama low. No, I did not start or end a relationship in these periods of time. Yes, I have some degree of companionship and none of it has been heavy enough to make me feel anything so strong that it would case nightmares. And no, I do not have issues with feeling lonely or unworthy. I honestly feel that my “lovelife” is quite healthy.

I understand that the romance aspect in the dream is strong, but there is nothing in my life that I can draw parallels to. The romance doesn’t seem to be the “important part”, only something that makes me curious. People seem to fixate on romance and sex and I find it rather sad. Sidenote – That seems to be the point to everyone’s life these age. I do thank you for considering this and giving me some ideas, but I really think it’s far from what these dreams are trying to teach me. There is not a single person that would manifest in such a way in my life. I think lukiasjohn’s idea of a broad representation is closer to accurate. Again, I do appreciate it and I will double-check notes and journals to see if there is something I may have missed. Even if it isn’t romance, I may have missed some event that may have triggered something.

To Xana and Lukiasjohn, I will state that I am spiritual, not religious. I don’t exactly believe in a god, nor do I pray to one. I do believe in something of a soul, because things have happened to me in my life that tell me we are more than just dirt and water. I get the impression that each of us has a different belief system. Xana strikes me as atheist, lukiasjohn strikes me as the careful believer in something. I’m not saying that either of you are right or wrong. I’m saying that I don’t see eye-to-eye on those points. Hopefully this will clarify my personal stance in life and why I may view dreams the way I do.
I AM DEAD
scarletteorchid
Dream Child
Dream Child

Re: W☺man-Made M☻nster

Postby Superman1 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:07 pm

Another lady on here had recurring dreams similar to yours.
She had a bad past, and in her recurring dreams was this recurring figure, who was like a real identity that mystified her, but more a man if I recall, but black or dark, scary, unknowable probably.
I think we concluded was probably an amalgam of her darkside, and men. But she did, unlike you, have bad experiences with men. May be why yours is a bit more a monster than a man.

You remind me of her in that she was also very intelligent, surprisingly self-controlled and aware, in light of her magnified darkside, extra strong, thoroughly attentive, yet on first glance - unlike you - appeared so badly messed up and scary, which she admitted others wrongly suspected.
But oh, that reminds me of what another member here, Mazinua, recently said:
"Jung regarded the dark self archetype as the wellspring of creative energy."
In other words, the destructiveness of darkness brings forth the creation of Light.
Perhaps similar to how a super massive black hole at the centre of the galaxy may help give rise to all those stars, physicists suspect.
Similar to "In my weakness, I am strong' in The Bible.
But I would say the destruction of darkness brings forth the creation of Light.

Yes the slight romance aspect in the dream then must be the curious attraction with the dark 'otherness' within. But yes it is you, and not fixation on the usual romance, so quite refreshing. Connection with you first, individual. As you are Spiritual so do focus on you.
I agree with you now that lukias john’s brief general idea seems more to the point. :)

Maybe you see a man cannot reach your heart before you. :heartpump:
Last edited by Superman1 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superman1
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby Mazinua » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:05 am

What you describe is not a single dream but a collection of related sleep experiences that are likely related and that have evolved in time with you. As such, the questions that you pose have complicated answers. The dreams that you describe are very common, even more so for someone who experiences periods of clinical depression, but the depth with which you have explored this aspect of your consciousness is unusual. As an artist you might understand better these dreams by researching the life of St. Teresa of Avila, and in particular Bernini's masterpiece, the Ecstasy of St. Teresa, in which an angelic being is poised to stab the nun with a gold tipped arrow. In her own time, religious leaders variously construed her spiritual consort as infernal or divine. For someone who is not particularly religious, what is important is not the moral association but rather the spiritual inspiration.

This creature does not allude to your relationship with men, nor to some specific sin or fetish. It is a projection of your spiritual hunger, a universal human need that is rarely addressed. When Bill Moyers asked mythologist Joseph Campbell about the meaning of life, the latter responded that in his long life, he has observed that most people do not actually seek the meaning of life; rather, what he has observed is that people hunger for the experience of living. The creature that recurs in your dreams is related to the spirit who visits St. Teresa, and both are manifestations of the hunger for this experience living. In truth virtually all art expresses this same drive.

Compare the richness of sensory experiences [smell, color, sound] and the intensity of emotions that surround him [terror, longing, inspiration, grace] with his own signifiers [gray, gaunt, pale, dusty]. He is your existential yearning incarnate, and in his presence do you, as St. Teresa does, experience ecstasy. Thus your intuition that these dreams touch on matters spiritual and mystical are vindicated. The challenge for you, as it does for all, lies in addressing this basic spiritual need in your waking life. For many, depression sharpens this need, making one long for relief, even if that relief is accompanied by extreme pain. In Tantra unification of the duality hunger/fulfillment is part of the yab-yum, wherein a practitioner realizes this union as a mystical [ecstatic] experience within his own body.

I understand that many of the references that I have here made are esoteric and philosophically obscure. If you have further questions regarding my post, please feel free to IM me. Best wishes.
Mazinua
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Re: W☺man-Made M☻nster

Postby scarletteorchid » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:06 pm

Superman1 wrote:Another lady on here had recurring dream ssimilar to yours.
She had a bad past, and in her recurring dreams was this recurring figure, who was like a real identity that mystified her, but more a man if I recall, but black or dark, scary, unknowable probably.
I think we concluded was probably an amalgam of her darkside, and men. But she did, unlike you, have bad experiences with men. May be why yours is not the figure of a man, but more a 'monster' or of no form.

You remind me of her in that she was also very intelligent, surprisingly self-controlled and aware, in light of her magnified darkside, extra strong, thoroughly attentive, yet on first glance - unlike you - appeared so badly messed up and scary, which she admitted others wrongly suspected.
But oh, that reminds me of what another member here, Mazinua, recently said:
"Jung regarded the dark self archetype as the wellspring of creative energy."
In other words, the destructiveness of darkness brings forth the creation of Light.
Perhaps similar to how a super massive black hole at the centre of the galaxy may help give rise to all those stars, physicists suspect.
Similar to "In my weakness, I am strong' in The Bible.
But I would say the destruction of darkness brings forth the creation of Light.

Yes the slight romance aspect in the dream then must be the curious attraction with the dark 'otherness' within. But yes it is you, and not fixation on the usual romance, so quite refreshing. Connection with you first, individual. As you are Spiritual so do focus on you.
I agree with you now that lukias john’s brief general idea seems more to the point. :)

Maybe you see a man cannot reach your heart before you. :heartpump:

I think many women have bad experiences with men, and I admit that I have. I have also had beautiful experiences with men. In the same vein, I've experienced both good and bad with women. As you seem to understand, I don't think any of the bad sours my perception of either sex. It's sad that she seems to have a heavier situation to deal with. It is impressive that she was reaching into a deeper place, though. It takes courage. Yes, I was looking more inward for answers. That sounds quite possible. Your last statement rings quite true. I'm not hateful, but I am fiercely independent with my own wants and needs and though I don't feel they are more important than the feelings of someone else I am not quick to give them up in the name of romance before carefully considering the situation. That user sounds wise and seems like a very open-minded person. I like that.

Mazinua wrote:What you describe is not a single dream but a collection of related sleep experiences that are likely related and that have evolved in time with you. As such, the questions that you pose have complicated answers. The dreams that you describe are very common, even more so for someone who experiences periods of clinical depression, but the depth with which you have explored this aspect of your consciousness is unusual. As an artist you might understand better these dreams by researching the life of St. Teresa of Avila, and in particular Bernini's masterpiece, the Ecstasy of St. Teresa, in which an angelic being is poised to stab the nun with a gold tipped arrow. In her own time, religious leaders variously construed her spiritual consort as infernal or divine. For someone who is not particularly religious, what is important is not the moral association but rather the spiritual inspiration.

This creature does not allude to your relationship with men, nor to some specific sin or fetish. It is a projection of your spiritual hunger, a universal human need that is rarely addressed. When Bill Moyers asked mythologist Joseph Campbell about the meaning of life, the latter responded that in his long life, he has observed that most people do not actually seek the meaning of life; rather, what he has observed is that people hunger for the experience of living. The creature that recurs in your dreams is related to the spirit who visits St. Teresa, and both are manifestations of the hunger for this experience living. In truth virtually all art expresses this same drive.

Compare the richness of sensory experiences [smell, color, sound] and the intensity of emotions that surround him [terror, longing, inspiration, grace] with his own signifiers [gray, gaunt, pale, dusty]. He is your existential yearning incarnate, and in his presence do you, as St. Teresa does, experience ecstasy. Thus your intuition that these dreams touch on matters spiritual and mystical are vindicated. The challenge for you, as it does for all, lies in addressing this basic spiritual need in your waking life. For many, depression sharpens this need, making one long for relief, even if that relief is accompanied by extreme pain. In Tantra unification of the duality hunger/fulfillment is part of the yab-yum, wherein a practitioner realizes this union as a mystical [ecstatic] experience within his own body.

I understand that many of the references that I have here made are esoteric and philosophically obscure. If you have further questions regarding my post, please feel free to IM me. Best wishes.

A lot of this makes a lot of sense. The gaunt appearance alludes to hunger, which is likely why some suggested that he may be a wendigo. Perhaps I use some similar imagery as a representation of endless hunger. This is my nature and if you were to observe me for even a day, you'd see how hungry I am for many things that aren't easy to reach. Being an artist, I'm constantly searching for that muse. I believe I have fallen in love with my monster because of the fuel he gives my fire. Perhaps I am somehow the fuel to his. Either way, when the dreams come, amazing things happen. I write a lot as well, and though I don't consider myself an "author" of any kind, I do post poetry online. I frequently get asked about The Gray Monster and where my words come from. I view it as a positive thing and perhaps it takes darkness to have that light. Perhaps he is the yin-yang that I need to push forward and keep the wheel in motion. Thank you so much for your input and ideas. We will be speaking further, I am sure. I apologize for not addressing this further, but I wanted to get something in before heading to work. Thanks again.
I AM DEAD
scarletteorchid
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby Devanie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:35 am

As I was reading through the many comments to your post a chill went down my spine as I remembered seeing a similar monster in a nightmare I had a long time ago except mine was a dirty white color rather than gray, almost like Styrofoam. You said in your reply to XANA that you are an artist perhaps you could draw a picture of your monster. Also have you ever tried talking to the monster and if so has it ever talked back?
Devanie
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Return to Nightmares And Night Terrors