Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

What is your reality check?

Share your own lucid dream experiences. Discuss tips and techniques on how to induce lucid dreams and how to control/manipulate your own dreams.

What is your reality check?

Postby entts » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:46 pm

So what is your reality check in a dream?. Mines is checking if im wearing glasses, if i am im dreaming as i take my glasses off before i go to bed.
entts
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: What is your reality check?

Postby PsychoToonJensen » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:03 pm

I always count my fingers twice, or just look at my hands. If I am dreaming I'll have the wrong amount of fingers, or my hands will be hideously distorted.
PsychoToonJensen
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby FebruaryRose » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:48 pm

I know that I am dreaming if there is a 13 on the clocks.
Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives. -- William Dement
FebruaryRose
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby FebruaryRose » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:57 pm

I know that I am dreaming if there is a 13 on the clocks.
Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives. -- William Dement
FebruaryRose
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby VivalaGloria101 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Huh... I take my glasses of before bed, and yet I'm almost ALWAYS wearing them in my dreams.

I usually read something, see if the text changes, or I just look around and ask myself if everything is logical.
VivalaGloria101
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby akasha » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:21 am

If the clock changes suddenly to a different hour and sometimes when I see my reflection then my reflection moves even though when I'm not moving at all while staring at it.And sometimes when I can't read sentences properly or the letters are jumbled as if there's no words formed.

just my :2cents: :)
If one does not understand a person, one tends to regard him as a fool.
-Carl Jung

I'd rather have a mind opened by wonders than a mind closed by religion.
akasha
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby FebruaryRose » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:33 pm

Yeah, I have the reflections thing too. They like to talk to me. :lol
FebruaryRose
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby sweetshar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:55 am

conducting a body search after i woke up cos in my dream, i am peeing...haha.. :lol:
No one rises suddenly in this world not even the sun.
sweetshar
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Malkus » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:14 pm

My reality check seems to be odd compared to the rest of yours.

See, I'm a therianthrope with a phenotype of Canis lupus arctos. When I'm awake, I'm human. But when I dream, I become my alter ego whose name is Malkus. So my reality check is one of forms.
Malkus
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby sweetshar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:29 pm

yeah.. Seems like different!!
sweetshar
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby HyperMuffins » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Small inconsistencies in the dream. Like how my sister says one thing then says something that completely contradicts what she just last said...etc. (She's a good liar, so she never messes up on things like that. -.-)

OR, if I can do some of the things I usually do in lucid dreams. Once I know that I can do these 'things', the dream then obviously becomes lucid and I go and do whatever it is I want. >:D
HyperMuffins
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby SSjin4 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:25 pm

Mine is having clear vision without my glasses, since I take them off before going to sleep and seeing anything from a game or anime. Since my dreams revolve that kind of stuff, as well as my real life but this was when I was younger. For some reason or another, I can't seem to Lucid dream at all and if I am aware that I'm dreaming, everything just carries on without me taking any kind of control.
SSjin4
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby ssumppg » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:28 am

If I'm in my superhero costume, I know that I'm in "superhero mode" and can do pretty much anything. Other than that, I usually get suspicious when things don't make logical sense, when I can do something like fly/walk on air, if there's any magic/fantasy in the dream, or if I go to move my hand/object specifically to test if I'm dreaming & it moves slower than it should.
ssumppg
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby BellaBugia » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:03 pm

I check the time on my phone, then switch the screen off and turn it back on to see if the same has changed. Also checking my hands or holding my breath and seeing if I can still breathe.
BellaBugia
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby PinkMellow » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:57 pm

If I'm in a familiar place like my bedroom, I'll look for small details that were there when I went to sleep. For example if there is a stack of textbooks and a necklace on my dresser I'll look for it in the dream. My brain tends to focus on the little details, so if I I over to my bookshelf in the dream and try to read the individual titles they'll be all mixed up. It can actually be kinda funny, like one time where I turned on my radio and it started out normal, playing some advertisement, then it got to the part where they speak really fast the terms and conditions and my brain literally was saying "blah di blah di blah lots of things blah and blah" and I was like oh brain you so lazy why you no use realistic words. Also, a big thing of mine is looking at clocks. Since generally the only dreams I can't tell are dreams are ones that are realistic like getting ready for school or such, there will generally be a clock nearby. Once I checked the time and it was like 11:05 on the clock, but it had been 4:05 the last time I was awake so I knew it was a dream.
PinkMellow
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby Dngr1 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:10 am

I always check my phone.

If i'm dreaming, my phone screen will start to get really vibrant colours like an electric multi-coloured rainbow, and the numbers go distorted, move, or change.
Dngr1
Part Time Dreamer
Part Time Dreamer

Postby Dngr1 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:14 am

Small details don't usually work for me, i have too deep sleeps. I have to constantly perform reality checks throughout the day which becomes a subconscious behaviour when i'm asleep. If i'm in a retarded situation, like running on train tracks or going up a hundred levels in an elevator, i'll never question it, i created a routine of reality checks which are all about ME, not my environment or what im doing.
Dngr1
Part Time Dreamer
Part Time Dreamer

Postby serretard » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:32 am

My indicators are always different.I don't have a particular way of checking if I'm dreaming.I just seem to have a sudden moment of realization.I usually start to notice when things become too weird and not beleivable.Like,I've had acouple really scary nightmares where i'm being chased by someone who wants to kill me and then I'll suddenly start to feel like the scenario i'm in is unlikely.Once i start questioning the series of events ,I tend to become lucid.

PinkMellow wrote:If I'm in a familiar place like my bedroom, I'll look for small details that were there when I went to sleep. For example if there is a stack of textbooks and a necklace on my dresser I'll look for it in the dream. My brain tends to focus on the little details, so if I I over to my bookshelf in the dream and try to read the individual titles they'll be all mixed up. It can actually be kinda funny, like one time where I turned on my radio and it started out normal, playing some advertisement, then it got to the part where they speak really fast the terms and conditions and my brain literally was saying "blah di blah di blah lots of things blah and blah" and I was like oh brain you so lazy why you no use realistic words. Also, a big thing of mine is looking at clocks. Since generally the only dreams I can't tell are dreams are ones that are realistic like getting ready for school or such, there will generally be a clock nearby. Once I checked the time and it was like 11:05 on the clock, but it had been 4:05 the last time I was awake so I knew it was a dream.

This reminds me of something that happened to me once.
I woke up one morning abruptly,still in a daze..half awake/half asleep.
Well,when I had awoke,I opened my eyes and what I saw didn't look like my room.Everything was white,white walls,white floor,white ceiling,and white furniture.I had that feeling like,"where am i??" Still out of it,I stumbled out of my bed,hardly able to even stand.I felt super confused.Everything was still white for some reason(my vision must have been out of wack still) so I reached for a blue pen I had left on my desk that night.I was trying to make sure if I was in my room or not and i knew if the pen was there then I was in fact,at home.To my relief,I grabbed a pen from the desk and put it up close to my face so i could make it out.As soon I was able to identify my pen,my vision went back to normal.It was an odd expereince.
serretard
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby An_Unfailing_Mystery » Thu May 03, 2012 3:16 pm

A lot of times it is dark in rooms that I'm in.. You see dark rooms are never a good thing. :worry: I tend to freak out but become uncertain if its truly a dream so I try turning on a few lights and if none of them turn on, which they never do in my dreams, I quickly go outside. I like being outside in dreams. :goldblob:
An_Unfailing_Mystery
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby Drew » Tue May 08, 2012 9:07 am

I usually become lucid by noticing strange happenings in the environment around me, recently I've been working on using a bracelet as a reality check, but it hasn't worked out yet.
"You are my center when I spin away
Out of control on videotape"

Radiohead - Videotape
Drew
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby NoH23HOOF » Thu May 10, 2012 8:05 pm

In my last lucid dreaming, of what appeared to be torturous inception, I found the common flaw.. Every time I woke up again and went to turn the light on it didn't work. Remembering this after dream within a dream, like #10 or something ridic, I used the reality check and then BOOM! I got to fly around and eat cake. Lucid dream accomplished. :cheers:
NoH23HOOF
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby watermelongirl13 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:18 pm

ive only ever had a lucid dream once and that was this morning. im not sure if this is considered a reality check but here goes. i woke up at about seven thirty and i was still like half asleep, and i still had the dream in my head. so i tried to fall back asleep and the dream continued, and by the i knew it was a dream. i was barely asleep so it was really hard to control my dream and even now i have no clue what it was about. i remember seeing my hands and the color orange a lot. can anyone explain this to me? im really new to lucid dreaming.
watermelongirl13
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby sweetshar » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:19 am

I dreamed of someone few years younger than me, we had a relationship, i did feel the love truthfulness and everything. We went to places i've never been before. We're so happy, i am so happy but then daylight must set and so is he. He just left me with no words and suddenly i woke up, feeling incomplete, feeling empty.. :( That one day must one of the momentous part of my life, i know it sounds pathetic it's just that i can't resist not to give attention.. Cos in reality i've never been experienced what is it to be loved by a man which sometimes frustrates me..
sweetshar
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby ultimoose » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:37 pm

I dont really do reality checks per se unless something odd happens. If i get suspicious i close my eyes and focus on levitation. Levitation is the most common recurring attribute in my dreams.
ultimoose
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby ChronicDreamer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:38 pm

Usually I just know, but one trick is to look at your hand throughout the day and ask yourself, "Am I dreaming?" If you are uncertain, you most likely are.
ChronicDreamer
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby sweetshar » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:18 am

In my dream we're so close but in reality i think he doesn't even considered me as a friend.. Just how cool was that? So i now stop hoping..
sweetshar
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Return to Lucid Dreams