Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

I thought i was awake

Share your own lucid dream experiences. Discuss tips and techniques on how to induce lucid dreams and how to control/manipulate your own dreams.

I thought i was awake

Postby Rebekah234 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:56 am

The other night i went to bed at about 12 and was lying listening to my ipod till i fell asleep. I then dreamt that i woke up with my ipd still in, only i was in another bed, it was a scary dream, my brother was in my dream and he walked into my room in the pitch black said something to me then walked upstairs ( i was in a bedroom downstairs in my dream) the whole house was in darkness and in my dream i was scared but i was lying in the same position i fell asleep in in my waking life, with the same song playing on my ipod, it felt like i was awake but i couldnt move from my bed, then upstairs my brother started banging and screaming, and it scared me so much in my dream. then my dream changed to me sleeping in my REAL bed, and in my dream i woke up from my sleep still listening to the exact same song on my ipod, then i dreamt my brother peaked through my bedroom door then ran away, this scared me abit and i woke up in real life in the same position i was lying in in my dream, and with the same song from my dream playing on my ipod :S:S
it was a weird dream, probly doesnt have a meaning but any comments on it would be appreciated :)
Rebekah234

Re: I thought i was awake

Postby CaramelFlame » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:50 pm

Wow! Thats a little scary, if you don't mind me saying. Not sure what to make of it though.
Has anything similar ever happend before?
CaramelFlame
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Sunshine07 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:30 pm

You keep saying the "same song was playing" when you would wake up. If you don't mind, what song were you listening to? How old is your brother and did he run away scarred in real life or just the dream?
Sunshine07

Postby vaxerman » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:09 am

lol fall asleep with you ipod on your bound to get strange dreams although it is weird how your brother keeps showing up. lol im guessing you were listening to hard alt rock
vaxerman

Postby dash » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:41 pm

This sort of dream happens to me regularly, more so in the last few months. I'd like to know what it means myself. Just woke up from a nap where I had one. Each dream is different, but they all have one common element:

I think I'm awake. I walk around house doing things, maybe even talk to people, clean, or go somewhere... until something happens and I realize that I can't speak, or can't move part of my body. Whatever it is, something in the dream clues me in to the fact that this is NOT reality. This time, I was trying to call my husband in the dream, and once he answered the phone all I could get out of my mouth was "MMMPH". I reached up to find that my mouth had a large membrane over it, and I couldn't speak.

Once I realize I'm sleeping, I become pretty agitated--even panicked, and try to wake myself up. Sometimes I call out for God to help me, and the more I struggle to wake up, the more I lose control over my body function in the dream and the dream itself. I wish I knew how long it takes me from the moment I start trying to wake myself up and actually succeed... way too long. As I struggle to wake up, I start getting the feeling that I'm trapped there in the dream, in a false place, and can't get out. Physically, it's akin to being wrapped in stretchy Saran Wrap, and struggling to get free.

Sometimes I see other people in the dream, and there have been times when my surroundings are so bizarre that they become annoying. Still, it takes awhile before I realize I'm asleep. In that case, it's usually when I start wondering if I can get out of this annoying place.

And yes, I've had it happen where I struggled to wake up from the dream, and thought I was awake, but was really only in another dream.

This time, while I was trying to wake myself up and couldn't speak, my arm went limp and numb. I threw it on the floor and stomped on it, hoping that would wake me up, but then I realized it was MY arm, and stomping on it could hurt myself. That's how real this experience is... stomping on my own arm is not okay, and didn't wake me up anyway.

When I finally do wake up from these "dreams", it's bit by bit... my eyes open first, but it takes some time before I can move. Today, I had to test my voice to be sure it actually worked, but it took a minute or so before I would move enough to do this.

I've wondered before if I'm having some sort of seizure, but no one can seem to give me any ideas or explanations, not even the doctor.

I don't know if this makes any difference or not, but I am a regular lucid dreamer anyway. I have several every night, and generally wake up with a clear memory of the dreams. So, dreaming itself is not the problem... its just this particular kind of dream that is giving me grief.

These things... they are not just dreams. They are beyond the normal realm of dreaming, even lucid dreaming. So weird. Kind of worries me, because I'm having them more and more often. And, it seems to be taking more effort and time to pull myself out of them.

Any ideas?
Rebekah, have you ever had this sort of this happen before?
I'm hoping maybe we can help each other figure something out here.
dash

Postby loings » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:13 pm

I had a similar dream. I knew I was dreaming but I could not wake myself up. I kept looking at the clock and trying to open my eyes. I was terrified. It felt like I had no control. Finally I did wake up but it seemed like forever before that happened. I was told once that if you close your eyes in your dream you will wake up. But how do you actually remember to do that? I also had a dream when my brother also came into my room. Actually he was in my closet then left the room. I wanted to know what he was doing in my closet. I woke up and he was never in my closet. It was kind of scary though. The dream seems so real at the time.
loings

Postby conni » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:20 pm

these are some symptoms of sleep paralysis. They can cause real stress or just be weird, depending on the individual. If you look this up you will read that many people have had this experience. It is scary, but pretty special. If you have been stressed or anxious, it may happen again and again. Some things, we can not explain, but they are real for the person involved. My experiences came with many haullucinations and predictions of my own future. But I did not appreciate having sleep paralysis, I am glad it does not happen to me anymore.
conni

Postby missellie » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:19 pm

We all dream during the REM (rapid eye movement)phase of sleep, our muscles are also paralised to stop us from physically acting out our dreams. If you wake up from a deep sleep all of a sudden then some of your muscles may not have had time to recover and will still be unable to move, expecially if you are still half asleep.

Saying that I always remember waking up lying on my side and feeling as though somebody was pressing my body into the wall. I was unable to scream or move at all, but I could feel the invisiable body pressed right into my back and their breathing in my ear. Scared me silly, the entity was there one minute and gone the next. I always think there are things we still do not understand about yet. Ellie
missellie
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby Stacey! » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:55 pm

I would say you have a mild case of sleep paralysis.
Stress is normally the main reason for these dreams.
As the body falls asleep before the brain does and the brain panics.
That is why you where still listening to the same song when you woke up because a small amount of time had passed.
I'm 18 and i have had similar dreams like this from an early age, it wasn't till about two years ago that i found out my dad gets them too.
They tend, like sleep walking to be hereditary.
The scariest are when i am being suffocating by a man.
(always the same man, occasionally dyes his hair although i never see him. I know exactly what he looks like, i don't know why that is.)
They often result in me not sleeping properly for weeks as they frighten me so much.
Your dream was similar to a few i had last night.
Stacey!

Return to Lucid Dreams