Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Meeting myself in a dream

Share your own lucid dream experiences. Discuss tips and techniques on how to induce lucid dreams and how to control/manipulate your own dreams.

Meeting myself in a dream

Postby johndt3 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:14 pm

I know that Lucid dreaming is basically knowing that you are dreaming while you are dreaming. To me, one of the most interesting aspects of lucid dreaming is that one can; or at least to some extent, control objects and/or events in a lucid dream by focusing on what you want to accomplish, and then concentrating and commanding, or willing, the change you desire to take place… if you did it right, you will likely witness the change within the dream happening. I can give you an example of this by telling you about a fascinating lucid dream of mine.

Although this lucid dream occurred some time ago, I can still remember it clearly, because it made such a lasting impression on me. Here is what I remember.

The first thing that I recall in this dream was that I was standing alone and facing a line of green leafy trees that were about three hundred yards in front of me. The dense row of trees stretched as far as I could see to the left and the right. There was no way to tell how deep they ran, but I knew that I’d never seen this place before. It was semi dark. The night sky gave the impression of it being early morning or early evening, - I wasn’t sure which, but I sensed no danger; in fact I even felt comfortable, although my curiosity was working overtime.

Where am I – and how did I get here were the questions going through my mind. Not being sure where I was, or how I got there I began looking around for clues that would answer those questions for me. It was then that I noticed a man to my right walking towards me. At first I didn’t recognize him, but as he got closer I realized that it was me. Me walking towards me? At that moment, I realized that I was dreaming — and what an exciting realization it was. I was actually dreaming and I knew that I was dreaming. When the other me saw who I was I knew that he recognized me also, and when we simultaneously realized that each one of us knew who the other was we immediately ran to each other and embraced.

What an amazing feeling we shared. I knew that it was me who is having the dream and that the other me was a dream character that I created in my mind, I also knew that my dream character knew that he was the dream character and that I was the one having the dream. I could not read his thoughts, nor could he read mine, we were independent of each other and yet we were both the same person. The me that lives within my mind, and the me that lives in the world outside of the dream were one and the same, - and yet we existed as two different entities. I don’t know how to express the joy that I felt discovering myself in a dream, it was both exciting and rewarding that we felt so at peace with our self’s and each other, there was also compassion for one another and a comradeship that we both felt for each other was like no other. Before that dream , and to this day, I had never in my life experienced that unique combination of feelings all at once.

I wanted to ask him some questions, but before I could, our attention was quickly riveted by loud yelling coming from the direction of the woods. We both looked at the same time to see what the racket was all about. Hundreds of gray skin creatures dressed in what appeared to be medieval military uniforms were racing from the woods. They were charging towards us yelling, these loud, threatening warlike cries and wildly waving their axes, swords and all kinds of other frightening looking weapons that were clearly meant for us.

Before I could think of what to do my other self grabbed me by the arm and pulled me towards a large two-story warehouse building to my left that I hadn’t seen before. It was only about a hundred yards away and at the speed tat we were running towards it, I knew that we would get to it before those creatures could get to us. There was only one small door for entry and I could see that it was the direction he was leading me. All that I could think of was that I hoped that that he knew what he was doing and that that door wasn’t locked.

I was right behind him when he reached the door, turned the handle and pushed it open. We entered a small atrium that led to steps which ran up to the second floor; all that was visible on both sides were paneled walls to the top of the stairs. My other self ran up the stairs: I quickly turned, shut the door and locked it with its dead bolt.

By the time I reached the top of the stairs my other self was examining an empty area to my right. I immediately saw why there was concern on his face. The room was empty, - no windows, - no doors, we were trapped. Although the room was large it didn’t appear to be large enough to encompass the whole of the second floor to the right of the door that I had seen from the outside. It had a dismal look, with its dark paneled walls, wooden floorboard, and lit only by several dim light bulbs on the ceiling and now the creatures were banging on the door below to get in, all of which added to fear that I had already been fighting within myself.

Seconds later we heard the door give way to the horde of creatures that had been attacking it. I wanted to wake up from this nightmare and I was about to give up hope when I remembered a movie that I saw; I think it was called Dreamscape, or something like that. The point is that the main characters in the movie were able to control the events within a dream. I also remembered that I had read somewhere that while lucid dreaming one can control the dream. I wasn’t sure that this would be possible, or if it was, that I would be able to do it. Nevertheless, realizing that I might have some control over this nightmare gave me a glimmer of hope.

I rushed over to the top of the stairs to face these creatures. It was clear to me that the leader was the one in front. I could now see that they weren’t creatures at all, but men with their bodies painted gray with strange black symbols painted like tattoos over the gray color. The leader abruptly stopped just a few steps down in front of me. Everyone behind him was falling over themselves trying not to run into the person in front. Any other time this scene may have been funny, but there was nothing funny about the way I was feeling. Filled with doubt as to what I could do, but I knew that I could not show him any of this.

They may have been men, but that did not make them look any less threatening. I exercised as much control as I could over my expression and my voice, hoping that he would not detect any fear as I demanded that he leave, telling him that this was my dream and that he knew it was my dream and that I could control it as I please. I knew that my other self knew that he was a dream character and I was gambling that these men would realize it too; I added to my demand that if he didn’t leave I would make them all disappear.

I could see the doubt on his face as he stared at me, but I also sensed that he knew that he was a dream character of mine. I decided that I needed to push this further, so I singled out two men about halfway down the steps and stared at them. I didn’t want to announce what I was going to do because I wasn’t sure that it would work, I hoped that I could make the two of them disappear, but I seriously doubted that I could make this whole horde vanish. I had their attention; they looked back and forth from me to the men I was staring at with obvious curiosity. I concentrated as hard as I could and willed for the two men to disappear.

In an instant they were gone; no smoke, no ashes, nothing, one second they were there, and the next they were gone. Seeing this, the leader abruptly turned around and started yelling retreat to his army. They were fighting each other to be the first to get away from me as fast as they could.

I was in awe, I had done it, and I could control this dream. I was still not confident that I could have made the entire Army disappear, but it didn’t matter at this point. What mattered was that I had discovered that I could literally control things within my dream if I chose to and that the threat was gone. I wanted to explore this discovery more.

I don’t know why we hadn’t realized it, but at the top of the stairs, if we turn to the left instead to the right there was a long hallway leading to somewhere. It had dimly lit bulbs spaced about every twenty or so feet. I wanted to see where the hallway led so I started walking in that direction. As I passed under one, dim light to the next it reminded me of some of the old movies I had seen when the star of the show would walk away under streetlights. He moved further and further away from you as he passed from lighted area into the dark area between the lamps

It wasn’t long before the lighted bulbs at the end of the hall were slowly going out one after another, as they got closer to me. I sensed that I was waking up and that my dream would soon be engulfed in darkness. I didn’t want this to happen yet. I wanted to explore this dream further so I willed the lights to stop going out and come back on. At first, I thought that it was working; a few of them started coming on in the reverse direction that they were going out. However, this only lasted for two or three of the bulbs before they reversed themselves again bringing back the approaching darkness. I mustered all the willpower that I could; for a short time this went on back and forth; lights would come on, and then they would go out. I thought about my other self and I knew that he would disappear into the darkness until I dreamed again. Then the darkness overtook me and that’s all I remember.

I have tried to show you not only the events that took place in this lucid dream, but what I was feeling and what I was thinking and doing as the dream progressed so that you might better relate to the experience. I reviewed it that I can see no place that I have elaborated added to or away from anything that I can remember during this dream.

Having a lucid dream fascinated me so much that I unfortunately didn’t bother to try to decode it. Now, that it happened so long ago I can’t recall any of the preceding events that happened during the waking state that might have added to some of the events and/or objects that appeared in the dream.

Through the years, I’ve gotten good at decoding my dreams. However, I’ve never been one to place much emphasis dream symbols’ meaning that comes from a book; in other words, one size fits all symbol definitions. My experience has been that dreams and their symbols are personal and related to the dreamer and each symbol represents what it means to him/her.

Nevertheless, I’m not a psychologist, psychiatrist, neurologist or any other professional that can claim extensive experience and knowledge of the brain and how it works. Therefore, I have to allow that I may have been hasty in disregarding in a one-size-fits-all dream interpretation answers. In some ways, it make’s sense to me that if a person dreams of a threatening storm, that that person may have in their waking life have been sensing something that was threatening. Because a threatening storm would instill a degree of fear in most people, then one could perhaps interpret that if you dream of a threatening storm that you are afraid of something. I know that’s not a good analogy, but I think that is enough to get my point across. For that reason, and because this dream took place too far in the past for me to recall any details of my waking life during that period I am open to suggestions from anyone that is willing to take a stab at trying to help me understand any insights that might have been given in the dream.

One final thing, I’m not sure that consciously manipulating a dream is a good idea, but that’s a subject for another post, that is if I don’t find the subject already posted somewhere here.

J.T.
johndt3
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Meeting myself in a dream

Postby xdrizzel » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:41 pm

Good read. Thanks for sharing this amazing story. I wish you would have asked your dream character more personal questions about your true self instead of exploring though, lol.
xdrizzel
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Meeting myself in a dream

Postby johndt3 » Thu May 07, 2015 2:42 am

Me too, but I didn't know that I would be that short on time.
johndt3
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Return to Lucid Dreams