Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Any advice for controlling dreams?

Share your own lucid dream experiences. Discuss tips and techniques on how to induce lucid dreams and how to control/manipulate your own dreams.

Any advice for controlling dreams?

Postby [insert awesome username] » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:43 am

I lucid dream all the time. But I can't control them. Can some people not control them? Do people just have to unlock the potential? (Or something less cheesy than that) I would love to have a Psycopomp or fly or some other cool things. Please help
[insert awesome username]
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Any advice for controlling dreams?

Postby interpreter » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:34 am

[insert awesome username] wrote:I lucid dream all the time. But I can't control them. Can some people not control them? Do people just have to unlock the potential? Please help

Why not, do you have not a joystick, a mouse or perhaps a keyboard to control „the character”, up and down?
interpreter
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby [insert awesome username] » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:44 am

What does that mean?
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby interpreter » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:10 am

[insert awesome username] wrote:What does that mean?

In these days people want to control everything, they have learned to control everything, with a joystick or a keyboard or at another level with informations or with money, ... But this is wrong.
interpreter
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby [insert awesome username] » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:15 am

Ok
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby XANA » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:48 pm

Controlling dreams is the hardest part about lucid dreaming. It comes easy to others, and hard for some. If you play a lot of video games, you might be already able to control dreams to a certain extend already. For everyone else you can try this.

While lucid, remind yourself that you are in control, take a second to view your surroundings and breath. Certain fears/anxiety will surface in lucid dreams, and will inhibit your ability to control the dream. For example, not being unable to fly because of power lines in the sky, or fear of falling.. You must not try to act physically to achieve what you want, but instead act mentally. Like when you want to fly, don't focus on the flapping of your wings/arms. Instead, imagine yourself rising up in the air and moving without feeling anything. That this is a dream, not reality (despite it feeling so real. This fear is the hardest to overcome if you are fully lucid) The dream will become more fluid at that point. Things will change as if they were distorted and moving/melting. The less real the dream seems, the more the dream will bend to your will. Its essentially playing mind games with yourself. Although, the more control you take. The easier it is to wake up. Time accelerates to mere seconds to minutes in this kind of lucid control. Usually though, if you succeed in doing what you want. You will get a rush of fun/excitement before you wake up.

Hope this helps.
I will answer any questions in PM.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない
XANA
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Postby [insert awesome username] » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:30 pm

XANA wrote:Controlling dreams is the hardest part about lucid dreaming. It comes easy to others, and hard for some. If you play a lot of video games, you might be already able to control dreams to a certain extend already. For everyone else you can try this.

While lucid, remind yourself that you are in control, take a second to view your surroundings and breath. Certain fears/anxiety will surface in lucid dreams, and will inhibit your ability to control the dream. For example, not being unable to fly because of power lines in the sky, or fear of falling.. You must not try to act physically to achieve what you want, but instead act mentally. Like when you want to fly, don't focus on the flapping of your wings/arms. Instead, imagine yourself rising up in the air and moving without feeling anything. That this is a dream, not reality (despite it feeling so real. This fear is the hardest to overcome if you are fully lucid) The dream will become more fluid at that point. Things will change as if they were distorted and moving/melting. The less real the dream seems, the more the dream will bend to your will. Its essentially playing mind games with yourself. Although, the more control you take. The easier it is to wake up. Time accelerates to mere seconds to minutes in this kind of lucid control. Usually though, if you succeed in doing what you want. You will get a rush of fun/excitement before you wake up.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much. The funny thing is, I would consider myself a gamer. I'm wondering how that helps. Also, can you wake yourself up? :)
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby [insert awesome username] » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:31 pm

When you're dreaming of course
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby XANA » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:11 am

[insert awesome username] wrote:
XANA wrote:Controlling dreams is the hardest part about lucid dreaming. It comes easy to others, and hard for some. If you play a lot of video games, you might be already able to control dreams to a certain extend already. For everyone else you can try this.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much. The funny thing is, I would consider myself a gamer. I'm wondering how that helps. Also, can you wake yourself up? :)

I usually don't want to wake myself up, so I can't say if I can. I've never wanted to bail of of a dream, even a nightmare. I just change the nightmare into something else usually.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない
XANA
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Postby [insert awesome username] » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:51 pm

Ok. But how does it make it easier if you play video games?
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby XANA » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:27 pm

[insert awesome username] wrote:Ok. But how does it make it easier if you play video games?

For controlling the dream, it creates a mental process for doing so, instead of a physical ones. Since you don't have a controller in the dream, but asleep you still have some kind of hand eye coordination going on ''off screen''.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない
XANA
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Postby The Cat Whisperer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:58 pm

I can wake myself up by saying "I don't want this dream."

Do you ever slip in and out of lucidity? I had a dream like that.
"You're The Cat Whisperer!"--my brother
Without chaos, there would be no creativity.
Dreams are free. Making them come true costs.
"Cheer up!" is the worst thing you can say to a person who is depressed.
The Cat Whisperer
Been There! Dreamt That!
Been There! Dreamt That!

Postby XANA » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:04 pm

The Cat Whisperer wrote:I can wake myself up by saying "I don't want this dream."

Do you ever slip in and out of lucidity? I had a dream like that.

I call it the sink or swim feeling. Yes, I've had it, but not usually more than once a dream. I will turn lucid, then go back to normal dreaming. Never back to lucid, because I prefer to dream in the semi-lucid state unless I want to. I've had some advanced nightmares because of it.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない
XANA
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Postby [insert awesome username] » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:17 pm

I think I've had something like that. Also XANA, thanks to your advice I controlled some of my dreams. Thank you. I'm sorry if these messages sound awkword i'm just not good at wording things.
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby XANA » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:49 am

[insert awesome username] wrote:I think I've had something like that. Also XANA, thanks to your advice I controlled some of my dreams. Thank you. I'm sorry if these messages sound awkword i'm just not good at wording things.

Its totally fine. I'm glad I could help you.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない
XANA
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Postby J4CX » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:10 pm

I really only have one piece of advice for controlling dreams. I usually have no desire to control them unless it is a nightmare. In that case, I want them to end as quickly as possible. I am a Christian. I love Jesus and fully believe in his power and ability to help those who ask for it. (Promise this ins't supposed to be a religious debate). To further explain this, He is the strongest thing tied to me because of my faith. I hold him higher than any person, place, or thing in the world. Including myself. So when I have a nightmare, I call out his name to speak power over the situation and it wakes me up. I literally wake up speaking his name. Maybe you could try something you feel you are strongly tied to and see where it goes from there. For example, if you have a dog that you love, try to say its name or call it to you in the dream. I'm curious to see if this works for you or anyone else.
J4CX
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re please help me with my dream

Postby Tytynamibia » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:22 pm

I had a dream that involved snakes, from what I can recall in te beginning of the dream it seemed like I had a intimate relationship with a green snake, but shortly after it began to scare me, it wrapped itself around me but didn't hurt me, I then asked my step dad to kill it, I remeber feeling very scared of this snake. I also remember my step dad telling me it doesn't bite. After he had killed it we saw two other snakes in my backyard, but he told me yet again they are not dangerous. I remeber feeling fearful and scared, running away from the snake. What does this mean?
Tytynamibia
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby Lady Daffodil » Thu May 04, 2017 5:57 am

J4CX wrote:I really only have one piece of advice for controlling dreams. I usually have no desire to control them unless it is a nightmare. In that case, I want them to end as quickly as possible. I am a Christian. I love Jesus and fully believe in his power and ability to help those who ask for it. (Promise this ins't supposed to be a religious debate). To further explain this, He is the strongest thing tied to me because of my faith. I hold him higher than any person, place, or thing in the world. Including myself. So when I have a nightmare, I call out his name to speak power over the situation and it wakes me up. I literally wake up speaking his name. Maybe you could try something you feel you are strongly tied to and see where it goes from there. For example, if you have a dog that you love, try to say its name or call it to you in the dream. I'm curious to see if this works for you or anyone else.

I'm a Christian too, and I've done the same thing. :)
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.
Lady Daffodil
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Return to Lucid Dreams