Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

People "used to be gay" issue

Need dating advice? Wanna talk about sex? Just broke up with your boyfriend? Complain about your ex? Jealousy ruining your relationship? Is he/she cheating? This is the forum to discuss and share your real life experiences.

People "used to be gay" issue

Postby SmileAreSexy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:29 am

So I'm browsing the internet randomly and I find this video of a kid saying "I used to be gay." And found that many other people around the world have said they used to be gay, too.

What is that about? Do you think they have actually convinced themselves enough that their not gay anymore? That's just not right. :?
SmileAreSexy
The Tiebreaker
The Tiebreaker

Re: People "used to be gay" issue

Postby SamZee » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:57 pm

Really like your new avatar, Smiles. =]

Can't say I have a whole lot to weigh in with on this particular subject. I must ask, why do you say that it's "just wrong?" I don't think it has anything to do with being "convinced" of anything. I think it's just a natural change that some undergo. Is not your sexuality rooted in mind? Wouldn't say say it's an aspect of your mind? So if you go through a profound change in mind, in identity, is it so implausible to think that a subsequent change in orientation could naturally result? :2cents:

I dunno. :P
Trailer: http://youtu.be/SJZ8wZrCCv0
SamZee
Wandering Jedi
Wandering Jedi

Postby The Atomic Mango » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:12 am

they didn't "used to be gay." they used to be horny straight kids whoring for attention.
I create the whole universe, blink by blink.
The Atomic Mango
Extremely Flammable
Extremely Flammable

Postby SmileAreSexy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:51 am

SamZee wrote:Really like your new avatar, Smiles. =]

Can't say I have a whole lot to weigh in with on this particular subject. I must ask, why do you say that it's "just wrong?" I don't think it has anything to do with being "convinced" of anything. I think it's just a natural change that some undergo. Is not your sexuality rooted in mind? Wouldn't say say it's an aspect of your mind? So if you go through a profound change in mind, in identity, is it so implausible to think that a subsequent change in orientation could naturally result? :2cents:

I dunno. :P

Anybody who is gay was born gay and convincing yourself otherwise is just a lie to themselves. You cant just go back to being straight right? This is why i don't approve of straight camps.

Oh and thanks :-)
SmileAreSexy
The Tiebreaker
The Tiebreaker

Postby Soulkiss333 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Were they talking about their sexuality or were they talking about being happy...the other meaning of gay. I used to be happy.

I dont know if you can go back or not, but I did write something in Jon Gay thread, that there is a lot of debate if gay can be a choice and for a few it is. It is not always the way you are born (mostly probably is) now if you would of ask me back in Decemeber before all the uproar about this I would have said that being gay is something you are born with not a choice, but now reading the arguments, like trauma experiences I wont go in to it again, but I did change my mind.

towards the bottom, it is my second post
http://dreammoods.com/dreamforum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=89425&start=50
"This perfect moment is brought to you by the mummified middle finger of Galileo, which is on display in a museum in Italy. May it inspire you to flip the bird at anyone who proudly embodies the kind of high level idiocy Galileo had endure."
Soulkiss333
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby SamZee » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:03 am

Balls. I didn't see your post until now, Smiles. Sorry about that.

But like I said... I don't think it has anything to do with "convincing." To express it more concretely, I think it has nothing to do with simple decision. Meaning, people don't just wake up one day and go, "Oh, I'm gonna swing this way now. Not that they'd have to make the decision overnight, I'm just saying that it happens naturally. To express it differently, I don't think it's something you really try for, it happens because it happens. Your orientation changes because you change -- profoundly. Your orientation doesn't change just because you want it to. It if appears to change after simply willing it to, then that just tells me that you're bi. Sure, people may be born homosexual, but I don't think it's that set in stone. You make it sound like it's purely genetic, but even genetics change. To me it's just evidence that the mind is not the product of the body. Rather the body is the product of the mind.
Trailer: http://youtu.be/SJZ8wZrCCv0
SamZee
Wandering Jedi
Wandering Jedi

Postby Guardian7347 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:34 am

Having never been gay in the first place, I don't feel I have much room to comment, but I will say I knew a guy who was gay. GAY gay. "born that way" gay. Then over a very short period of time, he switched teams, started batting for the straight team. I'll say I've never seen any evidence to support the theory that gay people are just "born that way". I have seen evidence that indicates certain traumatic experiences can trigger homosexual tendencies. Other than these few bits, all I've got is personal opinion just like everyone else. I don't care if it's choice or chosen for you. That's between you and God by whatever name you wish to call him, if you choose to at all.
SamZee wrote: To me it's just evidence that the mind is not the product of the body. Rather the body is the product of the mind.
:clap: :clap: I LIKE that!!
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein
Guardian7347
The Legend
The Legend

Postby LumenDreams » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:23 am

There is gay and then there is Bi! I think most people who say they used to be gay are getting confused with being bi! Im Bi Ive been with my gf for almost 3 years and i love her to bits! I cant really imagine being with anybody else let alone a guy but I was with a guy for 7 years we had 2 kids and I loved him too! He actually ended it with me and I was devestated! what im trying to say is there are some people who are very open to both sexes but to say you used to have this orientation and now you dont I personally think is denial. Its always there :P Its so nice to see a gay disscusion that have no scarey homophobic posts! barr 1 :(
LumenDreams
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby Guardian7347 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:00 am

LumenDreams wrote:There is gay and then there is Bi! I think most people who say they used to be gay are getting confused with being bi! Im Bi Ive been with my gf for almost 3 years and i love her to bits! I cant really imagine being with anybody else let alone a guy but I was with a guy for 7 years we had 2 kids and I loved him too! He actually ended it with me and I was devestated! what im trying to say is there are some people who are very open to both sexes but to say you used to have this orientation and now you dont I personally think is denial. Its always there :P Its so nice to see a gay disscusion that have no scarey homophobic posts! barr 1 :(
There were no scary homophobic posts! Atomic was simply expressing her opinion. One I kind of agree with as well. I think some kids DO claim to be gay when they aren't and recant later on. Is that so hard to believe? It's very trendy to be gay in some places. If some will deny being gay to fit in with the straight people, then why is it so unrealistic to think that some may falsely claim homosexuality to fit in or to draw attention? Maybe from their parents?
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein
Guardian7347
The Legend
The Legend

Postby BLUE » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:05 pm

SamZee wrote: To me it's just evidence that the mind is not the product of the body. Rather the body is the product of the mind.

One of my girlfriends who happens to be married with a son, used to live with a woman. F
Rom what I hear of her they had a great relationship. She still talks very well of her to this day. Please forgive me I don't remember the reason for their breakup. I think with some people it doesn't matter on the sec of the person but the person themselves that they are attracted to.

Haven't you ever had a secret crush on a girl? I have. :halo:
"I saw an angel in the marble and carved until I set him free" -Michelangelo
BLUE
Beloved Beauty
Beloved Beauty

Postby JeremyM » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:04 am

I think when people claim they used to be anything is because they don't feel accepted for who they are and they are desperate to adapt themselves to get that feeling of acceptance.

Won't change anything for you if you still don't like yourself, you'll have all the same issues. 2c
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson
JeremyM
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Guardian7347 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:54 am

JeremyM wrote:I think when people claim they used to be anything is because they don't feel accepted for who they are and they are desperate to adapt themselves to get that feeling of acceptance.

Won't change anything for you if you still don't like yourself, you'll have all the same issues. 2c
I think that may be true for some things, but keep in mind that as we age, grow, and experience new things, our tastes change. What once was attractive to us, may become unattractive.
Guardian7347
The Legend
The Legend

Postby Nostalgic » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:09 am

I have no idea if we are born gay, straight or bisexual or if it's just a choice we make so I have no idea if you can easily switch from one to the other.
As for straight camps..... I just think its some hardcore Christians out to make money from the people they consider sinners.
Image Image
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby Guardian7347 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:17 am

Nostalgic wrote:I have no idea if we are born gay, straight or bisexual or if it's just a choice we make so I have no idea if you can easily switch from one to the other.
As for straight camps..... I just think its some hardcore Christians out to make money from the people they consider sinners.

:blowingkisses: I think I agree on the straight camps thing. My opinion is that they are designed to pander to a certain type of people and use primarily scare tactics to "accomplish" their goal. Regardless of whether it's choice or biology, some two week camp(I don't know the actual length) isn't going to alter thoughts and feelings held for a prolonged period of time. Definitely not the shiny side of Christianity.
Guardian7347
The Legend
The Legend

Postby SmileAreSexy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:10 pm

SamZee wrote:Balls. I didn't see your post until now, Smiles. Sorry about that.

But like I said... I don't think it has anything to do with "convincing." To express it more concretely, I think it has nothing to do with simple decision. Meaning, people don't just wake up one day and go, "Oh, I'm gonna swing this way now. Not that they'd have to make the decision overnight, I'm just saying that it happens naturally. To express it differently, I don't think it's something you really try for, it happens because it happens. Your orientation changes because you change -- profoundly. Your orientation doesn't change just because you want it to. It if appears to change after simply willing it to, then that just tells me that you're bi. Sure, people may be born homosexual, but I don't think it's that set in stone. You make it sound like it's purely genetic, but even genetics change. To me it's just evidence that the mind is not the product of the body. Rather the body is the product of the mind.

OK really sorry for the late reply!!!

I can see where your coming from here. I like the last sentence too. I often have this argument with my homophobic uncle, OK not homophobic but just doesn't like gays. He's OK with lesbians though because "women are naturally attractive", but I think it's because he can only comprehend being attracted to a woman and not a man, so he doesn't understand.

ANYWAY, I wasn't saying it was purely genetic either. I was saying it comes from within and it's not really something people choose.
SmileAreSexy
The Tiebreaker
The Tiebreaker

Postby horseshoe97 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:11 pm

Guardian7347 wrote:I think that may be true for some things, but keep in mind that as we age, grow, and experience new things, our tastes change. What once was attractive to us, may become unattractive.

Very true.
when i was a little kid i loved coconut. loved it. ate it on everything (or so says my mom). now, cant stand it.
Same thing with favourite colours and careers i may choose to pursue. they always change.
i like rock and roll. i belive its good for the soul, not modern or rap, but good, old classic rock and roll.
horseshoe97
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Return to Dating And Love Relationships Advice