Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

New to the forum; saw threads, need directions

Do you have a question about using the forum, experience a technical problem or a suggestion to improve the forum? Let us know here! Please note that dreams should not be posted here.

New to the forum; saw threads, need directions

Postby Moniker Pending » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:42 pm

Hello,

I've got a couple of related recurring dreams, and I've already tried posting to another site for interpretation, only to realize that the site probably isn't active any more (last update was in 2011), and I'll probably need to post elsewhere. Now, I've found this place, and in between typing parts of my question into a new thread, I decided I'd look around what's already being discussed, to get a sense of the community here. See, I've recently had a rather bad experience with another forum, in which the community simply could not keep true to the forum's purpose, and instead most of the members just engaged in dogmatic trolling, driving away everyone who went there looking for an intelligent discussion. Beyond that, all I'll say about the other forum is that all of the people there, members and admins alike, aside from one admin who I found via PM, aren't nearly as aware of the problems as the people here are, based on threads getting derailed in the dream discussion subforums, and in this subforum, threads discussing hacked accounts and cleaning up/deleting the whole site. At least I can appreciate that there are some honest people here...

At the same time, I want an honest and serious discussion about these dreams. I mean, I don't mind humor, especially if it's clever and it doesn't distract from the point, but as far as trolls are concerned, I can deal with them on Facebook, but forums with strict, enforceable rules tend not to be so forgiving of my troll-slaying tactics (I gotta say, at least the "no-nonsense" tactics I use against trolls work a lot better than the "no-rudeness" rules ever do). This probably means that a message board-type forum isn't going to work, but whatever works, I'll take it.

Any suggestions?
Moniker Pending
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: New to the forum; saw threads, need directions

Postby Tal » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:52 pm

Welcome to DM and clever username. :)
Dreammoods isn't really moderated. There's Evil Monkey who keeps the place bot free and who will deal with problems when they arise, however, part of the reason this place has survived so long (12 years or more) is BECAUSE it isn't moderated. Like you, I've seen a few forums die because the admin/mods overplayed their power and drove people away.
One of the downers with the dream interpretation section is that there aren't as many interpreters as there used to be and often it's the more "zealous" crowd that hang out in there. You could try posting in the Spirituality section and ignore the inevitable "this isn't the right place" comment that someone will post. If you like, I'll give you an interpretation as long as you're not in a hurry or expecting a response with a heavy religious overtone. If you're lucky, there may be others who will help out as well.
Tal
A Helping Hand
A Helping Hand

Postby Moniker Pending » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:48 am

Tal wrote:Welcome to DM and clever username. :)

Like I would have posted in the thread I was typing up, I think a username should be an expression of oneself, and right now, I know little more about that than the professionals who work with me (they've identified a few scattered pieces, but that's about it). I've used other usernames before, but they're from long ago, before my quest for introspection truly began.

Dreammoods isn't really moderated. There's Evil Monkey who keeps the place bot free and who will deal with problems when they arise, however, part of the reason this place has survived so long (12 years or more) is BECAUSE it isn't moderated. Like you, I've seen a few forums die because the admin/mods overplayed their power and drove people away.

This place wasn't quite like that... The admins were also part of the "trolling" problem, since they had the same mentality as the members. I don't know if this was caused by a change in management since its founding, or what, but the admins only enforced the rules against people who actually belonged in the sort of discussion that the site claimed to be about. Through PM'ing, I found at least one admin who knows what the problem is, but is basically exhausted, and has given up on trying to tame the beasts.

If you like, I'll give you an interpretation as long as you're not in a hurry or expecting a response with a heavy religious overtone. If you're lucky, there may be others who will help out as well.

Should I PM you?

As someone who was raised Christian, and has long since become an Agnostic Atheist, I'll accept religious references, but I'll be skeptical of religious explanations. Also, as someone whose recurring dreams have shifted from "you're worthless and weak, and you'll never amount to anything" to "you're a thousand heroes without a face," as well as containing a whole lot of other symbols, I can't really expect a quick response.

On another note, I was never notified by email that the thread had been updated... As far as I can tell, I'm subscribed to the thread, and the email address is typed into my account correctly.
Moniker Pending
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby Moniker Pending » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:23 pm

...So, Tal, should I PM you, or someone else? How should I post this?

I'm also having a hard time navigating the layout of this site's user interface. I found the "members page," at one point, trying to see if I could see how to PM you from there, but I've forgotten where I accessed the section from (the tab has been closed, and I can't find the page in my browsing history [insert mysterious "Twilight Zone" type music here]).

Anyway, I've gotten my dream description typed up, using some text copied from the thread I never posted. It's three pages (well, ~2.3 pages, anyway), and it was originally in notepad, but I copied to OpenOffice after I typed it, due to issues relating to forced line breaks and other oddities (for some reason, OpenOffice will sometimes open multiple times in the task manager, and no word processor windows will appear, which is why I just went for notepad at first). I tried fixing things up in OpenOffice, but I may have missed something.
Moniker Pending
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby A. B. » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:20 am

Hi Moniker Pending; if you haven't already found it out by now, the easiest way to send a PM is to look at, say, Tal's posting, and on the left-hand side just below Tal's name and date of joining is a button that says "PM" and a little figure of a person, press that to send a message to Tal.

The link for the members list can be found in the top right hand corner of the page next to the Logout button.

And no, I never get e-mail notifications of anything on this forum either, subscribed or not. Does anyone else get them, or is it just universally broken?
A. B.
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby EvilMonkey » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:35 pm

The email notifications are being worked on. It is turning out to be a surprisingly difficult issue to wrap up.
EvilMonkey
Monkey See, Monkey Ban
Monkey See, Monkey Ban

Postby A. B. » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:26 am

Thanks for the response EvilMonkey!
A. B.
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

New to the forum saw threads need directions

Postby AaronRar » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi guys, the Aardvark has come on board of this exciting new forum. While I havent given up on UM, I think a little diversity is a good thing. Regards to all, Mark.
AaronRar
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Return to Forum Announcements And Help