Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

ARK: Survival Evolved, Still in Early Access yet releases a

Got a joke to share? Wanna participate in a word game? Looking to lighten the mood? Or just bored? Come on in and join in.

ARK: Survival Evolved, Still in Early Access yet releases a

Postby Luxion » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:53 pm

For those that do not know, ARK: Survival Evolved is your resource gathering survival game akin to the likes of Minecraft, Rust and The Forest. Only with dinosaurs. The game itself is in early access and has been so since 3 June, 2015. Costs around 20-25$.

Now, on 1 September 2016, the developers have released the ARK: Scorched Earth Expansion Pack for around 18-20$. Meaning you would need to purchase it to get what features it has despite already owning ARK: Survival Evolved.

DLC is always a controversial topic, some embrace it fully, reject it entirely or embrace different parts of it. One of the more polar views is that of a day-1 DLC. But what about this? DLC for a game that is not out of development yet?

Is it cheeky to release content to a game in development and ask one pay for it? Should it rather have been included into the core game itself?

What do you think?
Luxion
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: ARK: Survival Evolved, Still in Early Access yet release

Postby NicoleJS » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:06 pm

Whatever it's their game, but yeah imo it is poor form to work on another project (especially added content) to a game that remains unfinished. I know there are various steps to game development and if, for example, your level designers are done with the base game then it's fine to move them on to another project while the artists work on weapon models.

But still...poor form imo. Not a big deal, though, just a video game.

*Then again, we get outraged when a "AAA" developer does day-one DLC/season passes and stuff like that, so why shouldn't we get outraged when an indie developer releases day-one DLC as well (actually, as the game is not out of early-release, this is more like pre-release DLC...so worse than day one!)?

"AAA-type games from indie developers" seems to be the trend this past year, and while I was hoping that meant high quality and high production values while keeping the "spirit" of independent gaming intact, I suppose it means we can expect "AAA" type business practices as well, which historically have been to the detriment of the consumer.
NicoleJS
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

ARK Survival Evolved Still in Early Access yet releases a

Postby AaronRar » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:43 pm

I obtained a vaccine last semester a few hours before the game ended, only to have it go unused. Can I get back in still?
AaronRar
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Return to Game And Joke Room