Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

DMs BOOK CLUB

Post your stories, songs and poetry or review/recommend a book.

Re: DMs BOOK CLUB

Postby Xwikki » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:02 pm

@Spiritwolf - I've read a James Patterson's book before, it was very interesting to say the least. I couldn't work out whether it was a crime or fantasy book. I'll have to give that one a look.

I just finished reading Karin Slaughter's Genesis a few minutes ago.
My brother had left it for me to read when he was last down and I never got around to it until the other day. It's definitely something to keep you awake at night. :P I thought it was excellent though, could barely put it down. Until about 200 pages through I was thinking: "Hey, this isn't so fucked up." Andddd then I was swiftly proven wrong. I have no idea how the people who write these books can come up with it, they can't be in their right mind.

As for the book, I did really like it. I found it difficult to follow at a point, but that was because there were quite a few different lives being brought into the picture and it was difficult to follow all of them and remember who everyone was.

Someone had spent time with her - someone well-practiced in the art of pain...

Three years ago former Grant Country medical examiner Sara Linton moved to Atlanta hoping to leave her tragic past behind her. Now working as a doctor in Atlanta's Grady Hospital she is starting to piece her life together. But when a severely wounded young woman is brought in to the emergency room, she finds herself drawn back into a world of violence and terror. The woman has been hit by a car but naked and brutalized it's clear that she has been the prey of a twisted mind.

When Special Agent Will Trent of the Criminal Investigation Team returns to the scene of the accident he stumbles on a torture chamber buried deep beneath the earth. And this hidden house of horror reveals a ghastly truth - Sara's patient is just the first victim of a sick, sadistic killer. Wrestling the case away the local police chief, Will and his partner Faith Mitchell find themselves at the center of a grisly murder hunt. And Sara, Will and Faith - each with their own wounds and their own secrets - are the only thing that stands between a madman and his next crime...

Overall, I give the book:
:candy: :candy: :candy: :candy:
Four because I got temporarily confused, I think that a few too many characters were introduced at once, or jumbled together.
Xwikki
Dream Moods Queen 2011 - Going Dark
Dream Moods Queen 2011 - Going Dark

Postby Soulkiss333 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:21 pm

The Lucifer Principle (A scientific expedition into the forces of history) by Howard Bloom

It is not a story...it's content is sociology and evolution
"is a revolutionary work that explores the intricate relationships among genetics, human behavior, and culture to put forth the thesis that "evil" is a by product of natures strategies for creation and that it is woven into our most basic biological fabric."
its goal is to provide the reader with a new way of looking at the world.
It attempted to employ the subject of man's inborn "evil" like those who turned to the subject in the past--to offer up a restructuring of the way we see the business of being human. It has taken the conclusions of cutting-edge sciences--ethology, sociobiology, psychoneuroimmunology and the study of complex adaptive systems, among others--to suggest a new way of looking at culture, civilization, and the mysterious emotions of those who live inside the social beast. The goal is to open the path toward a new sociology, one that escapes the narrow boundaries of Durkheimeian, Weberian and Marxist concepts, theories that have proven invaluable to the study of mass human behavior while simultaneously entrapping it in orthodoxy.

The motto for this book should not be " read it and believe" but "read it and think."

Has some very interesting theories..."Mankind has always been cutting one another's throats...do you not believe.. that hawks have always preyed upon pigeons?...Then..if hawks have always had the same nature, what reason can you give why mankind should change theirs?"

One man's god is another man's devil

I really enjoy reading it. For the type of book it is pretty easy to read and well explained. he uses easy everyday language and events to explain things, it keeps you interested. :clap:

"This perfect moment is brought to you by the mummified middle finger of Galileo, which is on display in a museum in Italy. May it inspire you to flip the bird at anyone who proudly embodies the kind of high level idiocy Galileo had endure."
Soulkiss333
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Nostalgic » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:05 am

:candy: :candy: and a half.
It was good but nothing amazing

Set during the reign of King Stephen and the Anarchy, The Pillars of the Earth hangs a rich and intricately woven tapestry of intrigue and conspiracy over a solid foundation of historical events to explore topics as diverse as medieval architecture, civil war, secular / religious conflicts and shifting political loyalties.

Principal characters include Tom Builder, a stonemason; Philip, Prior of Kingsbridge; and Archdeacon Waleran Bigod. The historical King Stephen is variously abetted and attacked by characters both real and fictional, including his cousin and rival Empress Maud; Sir Percy Hamleigh and his son William Hamleigh, the prior Earl of Shiring Bartholomew's daughter Aliena and son Richard; and Ellen with her son Jack.
I’m back
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby Strider » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Mercury's War

I finished reading this for the umpteenth time a few minutes ago; it's part of the Breed Series by Lora Leigh: www.loraleigh.net , and is probably one of the best in the series so far.

It focuses on Mercury Warrant, a Lion Breed who'd lost his mate years ago when the lab rescues started in South Africa. Gloria "please call me Ria" Rodriquez is sent in by Dane Vanderal, son of the Leo, to "investigate spendings at sancuary" but her real job is to figure out how someone is breaking into the security system; but she ends up more than just amazed by Mercury who is assigned the position of her personal guard. Alaiya, the mate Mercury lost years ago appears again back from the dead, only to find her mate inlove with another woman. Ria is heartbroken, and Mercury is confused as Alaiya explains her side of the story; Mercury denies Alaiya after she kisses him, and goes back to Ria.... During all of this, the systems are broken into again, and Ria's big secret is unmasked, leaving everyone shocked.

I give it :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy:

(sorry, i suck at describing things in great detail)
GOING DOWN WITH THIS SHIP

When I thought that I fought this war alone
We were one with our destinies entwined
Strider
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby winterspotlight » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:55 am

I have to say my favorite series is now "The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel" By Michael Scott. The Books out so far are "The Alchemyst" "The Magician" "The Sorceress" and "The Warlock". It is a great fantasy novel that incorporates historical figures and mythological figures. Some being Shakespeare, Prometheus, Nicholas and Pernelle Flamel, and the Morrigan for example. It's a great series with many twists and turns that'll leave you unable to put it down! I literally finished "The Warlock" the day it came out. :oops: Here is a quick description of the first book:

Twins Sophie and Josh Newman didn't have many friends, besides each other. They were forced to move constantly because their parents were archaeologists. Now they resided in San Fransisco and were lucky enough to have gotten jobs. Josh worked at a bookstore and his boss was Nick Flemming. Accross the street Sophie worked at a coffee shop owned by Nick's wife Perry Flemming. Their life was good, normal enough until some strange people visit the shop. When Nick fights an older man with flashes of Green light, the man steals a book called the "Codex", and leaves with his minions Josh and Sophie know their lives will never be the same. With the twins confronted with the truth that their bosses are the Flamels and immortal the twins become swept up in a hidden world of magic and auras that was right in front of their eyes. They are told that they are the twins of legend with auras of pure silver and gold. "One to save the world and one to destroy it." They must go through all they can, brave danger, learn to use their auras, and keep the last two pages of the Codex away from the Dark Elders in "The Alchemyst"

Warner Bros bought the rights for a movie!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D If you like fantasies you'll love this book. Michael Scott is one of the most respected fantasy writers in Ireland where he lives. If you liked Harry Potter you'll like this too! :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy:
winterspotlight
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby Nostalgic » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:18 am

The land of the painted caves from the children of the earth series.
:candy:
clan of the cave bear was the best I only enjoyed the other books because I was hooked on the characters.

The omen machine by Terry goodkind. Love the sword of truth series and it continues on from them

It doesn't get a fith candy as Cara the Mord Sith didn't get to show her Mord Sith side. Richard has made them soft.
I’m back
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby physco kid » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:22 pm

:candy: :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy:

um I dont know how to describe it but if you love crime mystery's read it!
You're going through so much,But I know that I could be the one to hold you ~ Skillet-Yours to hold
Psychopathy, A carefree life. Insanity, An illusion that can't end ~Insanity English version
physco kid
Dreaming Day N Night
Dreaming Day N Night

Postby Empty. » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:01 am

I find this book mind boggling. I literally could not read past the first 3 pages without being so inspired by it I simply had to write some kind of novel of my own. Its so outstanding and brilliant. If I could write like Ursula, I would be so damned happy I'd probably shoot myself in excitement. Its just simply amazing, you have to read it. I haven't even finished reading it and I begged my Mamiya to buy the whole Earthsea series for me for christmas. Its amazing for those who like to leave the real world and engage in an epic celtic fantasy style novel. Its nothing like harry potter, its totally OUT OF THIS WORLD!! :heartpump: :heartpump: :heartpump:
You can hide behind what you wish you were...
but nothing is greater than what you are.
Empty.
Sleeping Cherry Blossom
Sleeping Cherry Blossom

Postby Nostalgic » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:26 am

A story of a beautiful girl by Rachel Simon
:candy: :candy: :candy:

Bit slow in places but very touching.

Here's what it's about.....

It is 1968. Lynnie, a young white woman with a developmental disability, and Homan, an African American deaf man, are locked away in an institution, the School for the Incurable and Feebleminded, and have been left to languish, forgotten. Deeply in love, they escape, and find refuge in the farmhouse of Martha, a retired schoolteacher and widow. But the couple is not alone-Lynnie has just given birth to a baby girl. When the authorities catch up to them that same night, Homan escapes into the darkness, and Lynnie is caught. But before she is forced backI into the institution, she whispers two words to Martha: "Hide her." And so begins the 40-year epic journey of Lynnie, Homan, Martha, and baby Julia-lives divided by seemingly insurmountable obstacles, yet drawn together by a secret pact and extraordinary love.
I’m back
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby DeepSleeper44 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:21 am

Very, very funny and filled with short stories that are populated by unique characters, Woody Allen's Side Effects was a joy to read. Went through it in just a few days (It's only about 209 pages).
Loved it.
DeepSleeper44
Dreaming Day N Night
Dreaming Day N Night

Postby mystichuntress » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:31 pm

Keeping this post alive...

-----------

Seizure - Kathy Reichs

This is the second and latest book in the Virals series, the first book being Virals.
It's a story told from the viewpoint of Victoria (Tory) Brennan who in the first book (along with her friends) were infected with a created strain of parvovirus which gives them superhuman abilities - similar to those of a wolf/dog. In this story, LIRI cannot afford to fund everything and so they're planning to close down certain wings of their centre and the island will be developed, many habitats destroyed. The wing they're closing happens to be the one Tory and her friends' parents work in. Without their jobs, they'll be split up and scattered over America, left to deal with their new abilities alone. In a desperate attempt to save their parents' jobs and the island, Tory and co plan to find a 300-year-old famous hidden pirate treasure.
Filled with tonnes of action it's really good and my description doesn't do it justice.
The best thing about unrequited love is it's the only kind that lasts.
mystichuntress
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby physco kid » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:26 pm

(Copying a summary since I wouldn't know how to put this this book is one hard to describe)

:candy: :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy: (This is one of those stories I say I hate but secretly love :rofl: )

“The dead don’t talk. I don’t know why.” But they do try to communicate, with a short-order cook in a small desert town serving as their reluctant confidant. Odd Thomas thinks of himself as an ordinary guy, if possessed of a certain measure of talent at the Pico Mundo Grill and rapturously in love with the most beautiful girl in the world, Stormy Llewellyn. Maybe he has a gift, maybe it’s a curse, Odd has never been sure, but he tries to do his best by the silent souls who seek him out. Sometimes they want justice, and Odd’s otherworldly tips to Pico Mundo’s sympathetic police chief, Wyatt Porter, can solve a crime. Occasionally they can prevent one. But this time it’s different. A mysterious man comes to town with a voracious appetite, a filing cabinet stuffed with information on the world’s worst killers, and a pack of hyena-like shades following him wherever he goes. Who the man is and what he wants, not even Odd’s deceased informants can tell him. His most ominous clue is a page ripped from a day-by-day calendar for August 15.
You're going through so much,But I know that I could be the one to hold you ~ Skillet-Yours to hold
Psychopathy, A carefree life. Insanity, An illusion that can't end ~Insanity English version
physco kid
Dreaming Day N Night
Dreaming Day N Night

Postby mystichuntress » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:34 pm

The Taming of the Shrew - Shakespeare

Shakespeare is AWESOME!!
For starters, this is a comedy/sorta-romance. And, surprisingly for a Shakespeare comedy, no one dies! (My friend defines Shakespeare in the following way: a comedy is when some people die, a tragedy is when everyone dies)
The movie "Ten things I hate about you" is based on this play.
Katherine (the Shrew of the play) is a bad-tempered, strong-willed woman with a sharp tongue. She doesn't care what everyone thinks of her and behaves as she pleases. Her younger sister Bianca is the complete opposite and has many suitors. Their father, Baptista, refuses to marry off Bianca until Katherine is married and so Bianca's suitors create plans to try and find a husband brave (or stupid) enough to marry Katherine. When Petruchio arrives, he undertakes the task of taming Katherine into an obedient and pleasing wife.

Sure, Shakespeare can be hard to understand, but it's so witty! And when they swear and call people names, it's a lot more imaginative than the same-old four letter words we use everyday.
Shakespeare is still relevant to today's society and this play shows the roles of women and men (and briefly, the life of a lord) in the 1500s.
If it's too hard to read, it's always possible to find books with the original play on one page and the normal-English translation on the opposite page.
The best thing about unrequited love is it's the only kind that lasts.
mystichuntress
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby Strider » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:06 am

An Oldie but Goodie
~ Frankenstein by Mary Shelley ~

I love this book, I've read it quite a few times. I love Mary Shelley Wollstonecraft as well.
GOING DOWN WITH THIS SHIP

When I thought that I fought this war alone
We were one with our destinies entwined
Strider
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby physco kid » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Misery by stephen king

This book is perfect for any of those who like violence, gore, or just plain creepiness ^^
physco kid
Dreaming Day N Night
Dreaming Day N Night

Postby DeepSleeper44 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Loved this. Incredibly informative biography of an extraordinary man.

Very funny Woody Allen book. Not quite as hilarious as Side Effects or Without Feathers, but still a fun read.
DeepSleeper44
Dreaming Day N Night
Dreaming Day N Night

Postby XxQueenOfSoulsxX » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:40 pm

The Hunger Games and Catching Fire (I have yet to read the third book, but it is called Mockingjay)

I have never found myself to be so enthralled in a book as I have been with these two. I know, i know, the only reason I even know of this book is because the movie, however I can proudly say I have not seen the movie as i was determined to read the books first. The series does not simply convey a trivial love story/love triangle, but deals with so much more!

Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which 'Tributes' must fight with one another until one survivor remains. Sixteen year old Katniss Everdeen volunteers in her younger sister's place to enter the games, and is forced to rely upon her sharp instincts as well as the mentorship of drunken former victor Haymitch Abernathy when she's pitted against highly-trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives. If she's ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

The story grows more intense in the second book which I couldn't possibly talk about because it would ruin the first book. But i strongly suggest this to young adults who are interested in genres ranging from love, action, adventure, and even politics.

I literally could not make myself put down the books and at the end of each I sit longing for more. (So I really cannot wait to get my hands on the third.) Do not read the books because they are popular, but read them because they have a story worth reading.
It was a Flip Floppy Fish sorta feeling.. :whoa:
XxQueenOfSoulsxX
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Postby Nostalgic » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:55 am

A song of fire and ice series

I must say, these are the best books I have ever read.
It's so unpredicatble and surprising. The characters are great, someone you dislike in the beginning you later feel sad for them, or wish it turned out better for them even though they were horrible.....
I can't get enough of these books

I've just started book 4 and book 6 and 7 are not published yet.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_o ... #section_1
I’m back
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby Vulcanoid » Sun May 20, 2012 9:41 am

The brotherhood of the holy shroud.

A typical entry in the religious conspiracy thriller category. It has everything you expect it to have, Police, secret cults, Templar Knights, legends (that are revealed to be true at the end), weird priests and the such.
All in all it was a good book, because the ending was TOTALLY unexpected.
I won't write a review. Those of you who are interested in this genre, i advice you read it,, because it's worth your time.
I rate it 4/5. The ending really helped.
Be good. And if you're not, be good at being bad
Vulcanoid
MADness by design
MADness by design

Postby Nightingale » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:16 am

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

I have to read this for summer reading and it would be great if I could get a group to read with me so I could feel a bit more encouraged to do so. The Grapes of Wrath is an American realist novel written by John Steinbeck and published in 1939. For it he won the annual National Book Award and Pulitzer Prize for novels and it was cited prominently when he won the Nobel Prize in 1962.

Set during the Great Depression, the novel focuses on the Joads, a poor family of tenant farmers driven from their Oklahoma home by drought, economic hardship, and changes in financial and agricultural industries. Due to their nearly hopeless situation, and in part because they were trapped in the Dust Bowl, the Joads set out for California. Along with thousands of other "Okies", they sought jobs, land, dignity, and a future
Nightingale
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Postby Nightingale » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:34 am

The Epic of Gilgamesh. Though its a really old tale, ( i think a few thousand years) I loved it, especially for how easily it can be applied to a modern setting. Its basically a tale of a man's search to find immortality and his reluctance to give in to the acceptance of his friends death, with a lot of interesting biblical alliteration and a reflection on how men interact with death. Great read, and brief if you don't want to take too much time. 5/5
Nightingale
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Postby RocketCollecting » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:53 am

I'm currently re-reading The Vampire Chronicles and I love them now as much as ever. Of all of the fictional vampires out there (with the exception of Carmilla, Dracula.. and Vladimir Todd is a guilty pleasure lol), Lestat is my favorite. Anne has such an intelligent, theological approach to all of her books. It's just such a good, adventerous read.. and who doesn't love a vain and selfish prince like Lestat?? I give it four candies for depth and entertainment.

The Vampire Lestat

Set in the late 18th century to the late 1980s, the story follows the 200-year-long life of the vampire Lestat de Lioncourt, and his rise from humble beginnings as an impoverished aristocrat in the countryside of France to the city of Paris to become a vain and arrogant vampire. After escaping his family and running off to Paris with his friend and confidante Nicolas (nicknamed Nicki by Lestat), Lestat is bitten by the rogue elder vampire Magnus, who orphans him on the night he is made. Lestat abandons Nicki for fear of causing him harm and shuns contact with his loved ones, until one day his dying mother, Gabrielle, arrives to say goodbye to him. In order to save her, Lestat bites her, transforming her into his first companion.
:heartpump: Image :heartpump:
RocketCollecting
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Postby DeepSleeper44 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:31 pm

Not my favorite of his books, but still a very entertaining read with several stories sporting unique concepts.
DeepSleeper44
Dreaming Day N Night
Dreaming Day N Night

Postby butterrumpkin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:26 pm

I've started reading Much to Your Chagrin, a memoir about the embarrassing moments. Funny stuff! It's by Suzanne Guillette.
butterrumpkin
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby orionfoxgibson » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:04 am

This Is a good one by Eric Collins.(Simmilar to Carlins Work.)

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Philosop ... 0,s:0,i:69
"Who's More Foolish? The Fool? Or the one who follows him?"
orionfoxgibson
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby DeepSleeper44 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:54 pm

It isn't perfect, but it's a page-turner and I loved it despite its flaws.
DeepSleeper44
Dreaming Day N Night
Dreaming Day N Night

Postby Nostalgic » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:43 am

XxQueenOfSoulsxX wrote:The Hunger Games and Catching Fire (I have yet to read the third book, but it is called Mockingjay)

I have never found myself to be so enthralled in a book as I have been with these two. I know, i know, the only reason I even know of this book is because the movie, however I can proudly say I have not seen the movie as i was determined to read the books first. The series does not simply convey a trivial love story/love triangle, but deals with so much more!

Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which 'Tributes' must fight with one another until one survivor remains. Sixteen year old Katniss Everdeen volunteers in her younger sister's place to enter the games, and is forced to rely upon her sharp instincts as well as the mentorship of drunken former victor Haymitch Abernathy when she's pitted against highly-trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives. If she's ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

The story grows more intense in the second book which I couldn't possibly talk about because it would ruin the first book. But i strongly suggest this to young adults who are interested in genres ranging from love, action, adventure, and even politics.

I literally could not make myself put down the books and at the end of each I sit longing for more. (So I really cannot wait to get my hands on the third.) Do not read the books because they are popular, but read them because they have a story worth reading.

I just finished all 3 books. While I thought it had potential I thought it could have been longer and better.
It took me a week to read all three. I think a teen would enjoy it more.
Did have me flipping the pages though.
I give it :candy: :candy:
I’m back
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby sayuri » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:48 pm

I am currently reading "Self magazine's 15 minutes to your best self" Its a compiliation of Self magazine's column "15 minutes" or whatever its called... It has lots of fun facts for people to get fit and healthy :) and to look your best in the coming year...
I give it :candy: :candy:
"The fairy poet takes a sheet
Of moonbeam, silver white;
His ink is dew from daisies sweet,
His pen a point of light."
~Joyce Kilmer
sayuri
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby dreamweaver123 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:46 pm

I'm starting a book called Buckland's Book of Gypsy Magic. I shall present a comprehensive review when I finish it. It seems like a great way to learn about the nomadic Gypsies and their ways of life. :)
dreamweaver123
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby MissWong » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:05 am

" I tried to cook something from scratch... and ended up summoning a demon"
MissWong
Ting-Ting
Ting-Ting

Postby Tal » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:26 pm

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Tal
A Helping Hand
A Helping Hand

Postby Larry Grogan » Wed May 08, 2013 4:57 pm

I just finished reading "Whitey," by Dick Lehr and Gerard O'Neil. If you like crime nonfiction, you'll love it. Incredibly well researched, and a lot of fresh biographical information about Bulger that hasn't been widely reported before, like about his family background and his time in prison and the LSD experiments.
Larry Grogan
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby rustic_vampire » Wed May 22, 2013 4:38 am

Funhouse by Dean Knootz

A girl (Ellen) runs away from her very religious mother when she's 19. She joins up with the carnival and falls in love with Conrad. They get married he turns abusive she has a baby that isn't exactly human. Then she kills the baby and Conrad almost kills her for that but then decides to spare her life with a threatening promise to take her kids away from her in the future.

19 years later....she has a new life and no one but her knows about her past. She's now married and has two kids. A 17 year old girl who is pregnant and a 10th year old boy. She has herself turned to religion and is a lot like her mother. Pushing hardcore religion onto her kids. Well the carnival is in town and Conrad is out for revenge.

Im givin it :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy:

I would gladly give it a five however i am slightly disappointed in the endin and the lack of events between Conrad and Ellen. Great read though :)
Life's a random deal of the cards. Play the best you can with the hand you got dealt
rustic_vampire
Poetic Justice
Poetic Justice

Postby dreamweaver123 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:58 am

I recently read the Birth Order Book of Love. I liked it a lot...some of it rang true in my mind.
dreamweaver123
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby operatormike » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Hey Nostalgic,

Long time. Just stopped in for a ninja style post because I am about to begin the Wheel of Time series...for the first time! My daughter in law is totally into it. I thought it was familiar and checked this old post. Yep, it is familiar. You had told me about it all that time ago.

Hope that you are well!

Peace,
OM
Who looks outside, dreams;
Projecting our images in space and in time
Yes is the answer
and you know that for sure
Yes is surrender, you got to let it,
you got to let it go---John Lennon
who looks inside, awakens! ---Carl Jung
operatormike
Gate Keeper
Gate Keeper

Postby rustic_vampire » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Very intense. It's intense because I can actually see somethin like this happenin. James Patterson is one of my favorite authors anyways, and I wasn't disappointed with Zoo.

It's pretty much about animals goin haywire, and they start attackin humans, a lot! In very non-typical ways and animals that normally wouldn't even attack humans. The main character, Oz, is a biologist who starts researchin these increased animal attacks. At first very few people in the science world takes him seriously, and most think he's just a crazy. Even after he has proof that animals are changin their huntin patterns, there's still a lot of scientist that don't believe him. It's not until years later, when the attacks are happenin all the time, every single day multiple attacks all over the world, that more start to believe his theory.

I give it :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy:

I really enjoyed the read, it quickly got my attention and kept it. It makes me think that, "what if this happened....?" I would recommend it!
Life's a random deal of the cards. Play the best you can with the hand you got dealt
rustic_vampire
Poetic Justice
Poetic Justice

Postby lenell » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:38 pm

The Tide Lords Quadrility - Jennifer Fallon
Genre - Fantasy
My Rating - :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy:
My Comments - Much intrigue and many twists. Excellent character development and a complicated story line that is easy to follow, yet always keeps you interested.

Book One - The Immortal Prince

Synopsis;

When a routine hanging goes wrong, the survivor announces he is Cayal the immortal Prince, a Tide Lord. However, the only known record of the immortal beings of Amyrantha is the Tide Lord Tarot...and everyone knows it is only a parlor-game, an amusement.

Arkady Desean, an expert on the legends of the Crasii - a part-animal, part-human race - is sent to interrogate Cayal. But in exposing this would-be immortal, Arkady's own web of deceit threatens to unravel.

Nothing is as it seems around the Immortal Prince. The lies seem plausible, his stories improbable...and the the truth is more than any of them bargained for.

Book Two - The Gods of Amyrantha

Synopsis;

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Arkady is exiled to the repressive Torlenian capital, where she makes some unexpected friends and some powerful enemies, all of whom seem bent on using her to wreak vengeance on each other.

Things are not going smoothly for Declan Hawkes, the King's Spymaster, either, and not just because the Empress of the Five Realms has turned up in Caelum with her family. Jaxyn Aranville is determined to quash any opposition to his plans for the Glaeban throne and Arkady's husband, the Duke of Lebec, is on his way.

And in the stark deserts of Torlenia, a meeting between two powerful Tide Lords could put to rest eight thousand years of conflict...or not..

Book Three - The Palace of Impossible Dreams

Synopsis;

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Branded and sold into slavery in Senestra, Arkady holds out little hope of being rescued. She turns to her new owner for help...but learning the truth about him may cost both their lives.

Jaxyn's plans hit a snag when he realises the one man who can challenge him for the Glabaen throne, Stellan Desean, has sought asylum in Caelum. Strangely enough, the Empress of the Five Realms, and the Tide Lords Tryan and Elyssa, seem to be on Stellan's side...

And Declan Hawkes, struggling with his transformation, abandons the Cabal, and flees to Glaeba in search of some trace of Arkady.

Book Four - The Chaos Crystal

Synopsis;

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The Tide Lords have gathered in Jelidia to find out the secret of how to kill an immortal...Cayal in particular. Before they can do this, however, they must find the Chaos Crystal that brought them into this world.

They initially head to Glaeba, where Akady has been captured by Jaxyn. She escapes and flees to Caelum, where she runs into Warlock and his family and learns that Elyssa, Warlock's cruel immortal mistress, may know something about the location of the Crystal.

With every immortal on Amyrantha searching for this artefact, the stakes are very high...
Image I like chicken, I like liver, meow mix meow mix, please deliverImage
lenell
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby Luidaeg » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:01 pm

Is there anyone here who reads genre?
The fey wonders of the world only exist while there are those with the sight to see them.”
― Charles de Lint
Luidaeg
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby MissWong » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:52 am

The Fault in Our Stars
John Green

Picked it up today, loved the movie, obsessed with it and wanted to read the novel too.
" I tried to cook something from scratch... and ended up summoning a demon"
MissWong
Ting-Ting
Ting-Ting

Postby raymond1234 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:50 pm

ANASTASIA

You have to be open minded about this book. It is philosophical and new agey.

But the book was written several years ago by a Russian named Vladmir Megre. He heard of a woman living in the wilds of Siberia. Apparently she was nude or near nude and often seen near a river but no one was able to 'catch ' her. VM wrote the story about his experience with her and he swears up and down it is true.

Apparently, Anastasia lives by herself, she is able to 'commune ' with the animals of the forest...(like bears ) and they protect her. She had numerous conversations with VM and she told him how to grow food naturally using nature spirits, the best way to build a bee hive and discussed philosophical views of living.

Apparently small communes have been established across Russia and other countries living a lifestyle based on her recommendations.

I have only read the first book, but there is a series of 8.
I am going to start on the second one soon.

It is an interesting story even if you don't believe it. But there have been more unusual stories that have been told.

"Anastasia", the first book of the Ringing Cedars Series, tells the story of entrepreneur Vladimir Megre's trade trip to the Siberian taiga in 1995, where he witnessed incredible spiritual phenomena connected with sacred 'ringing cedar' trees. He spent three days with a woman named Anastasia who shared with him her unique outlook on subjects as diverse as gardening, child-rearing, healing, Nature, sexuality, religion and more. This wilderness experience transformed Vladimir so deeply that he abandoned his commercial plans and, penniless, went to Moscow to fulfil Anastasia's request and write a book about the spiritual insights she so generously shared with him. True to her promise this life-changing book, once written, has become an international best-seller and has touched hearts of millions of people world-wide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GifKcRGDvbI
raymond1234
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby MissVampire » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:26 am

Image it's about ghosts and stuff , it gets more interesting when you start to read more.
Hey do u wanna go for a BITE ?
MissVampire
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby DarkStarlet » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:47 pm

aha... now I see about that dream... lol

no wonder then... ;-)

online read...

http://www.lycaeum.org/books/books/my_problem_child/

;) :D

MissWong
The Fault in Our Stars
John Green
I also read that one, quite nice ... esp. for sick youngsters... ;)
DarkStarlet

Postby Biggy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:27 am

i read Alice in Wonderland ...

a classic :)
Biggy
Part Time Dreamer
Part Time Dreamer

Postby TygerChild » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:28 am

This book is it! :D . The book is a tragedy mixed with nostalgia. It is set in North Dakota during the late 80's with a woman being raped , she's totally distraught and checks out completely. Her son , 13 yr. old Joe sets out to find what happens to her along with his father and friends. I love how it captured the essence of a teenage boy from the eighties : food . star wars . boobies , the whole nine yards. The characters are very strong and realistic. *Spoiler* - There is a character known as Sonja , she's a "killer queen" and a great person her story is great.
TygerChild
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Postby sayuri » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:13 pm

I just finished reading Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Claire.
Its about a young girl named Tessa Grey in the victorian era and she's a shapeshifter. Well her brother is taken captive and when she comes to London she is taken captive by some dark warlocks and then she meets shadow hunters Will and Jem, and her quest leads her to a man called the Magister who would do anything to have her... Even kidnap her brother
~Joyce Kilmer
sayuri
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby TygerChild » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:21 pm

sayuri wrote:I just finished reading Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Claire.
Its about a young girl named Tessa Grey in the victorian era and she's a shapeshifter. Well her brother is taken captive and when she comes to London she is taken captive by some dark warlocks and then she meets shadow hunters Will and Jem, and her quest leads her to a man called the Magister who would do anything to have her... Even kidnap her brother

That sounds like a very good book , I'll have to check it out . Thanks! :)
TygerChild
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Postby sayuri » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:41 pm

TygerChild wrote:
sayuri wrote:I just finished reading Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Claire.

That sounds like a very good book , I'll have to check it out . Thanks! :)

It was very good! As is it's companion series The Mortal Instruments
~Joyce Kilmer
sayuri
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Juri » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:33 am

TygerChild wrote:Image

This book is it! :D . The book is a tragedy mixed with nostalgia. It is set in North Dakota during the late 80's with a woman being raped , she's totally distraught and checks out completely. Her son , 13 yr. old Joe sets out to find what happens to her along with his father and friends. I love how it captured the essence of a teenage boy from the eighties : food . star wars . boobies , the whole nine yards. The characters are very strong and realistic. *Spoiler* - There is a character known as Sonja , she's a "killer queen" and a great person her story is great.

sounds interesting ... well we might buy it :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech
Juri
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Postby Tal » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:00 am

"The Messenger" Markus Zusak

He wrote this about 10 years before "The Book Thief". It's young adult fiction, nothing like the second book and is set in the early 2000s in a regional (semi rural) town, Anywhere, Australia and is written in the first person (who is a 20 year old dude with zero prospects) who is forced to pass through a bizarre and very interesting, right of passage. Kind of reads like a journal or diary. Love the language, could have done with a few finer edits here and there but is engaging and just all round lovely. I'm guessing that the characters were mostly Aboriginal but it's not specified.
Tal
A Helping Hand
A Helping Hand

Postby darkanomoly » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:14 pm

"The unknown Nostra domus" by Peter lemesurier. Don't be fooled by the title, for those who want to know the truth, this is a good read. Never judge a book by its cover.
darkanomoly
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

PreviousNext

Return to Literary Corner