Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

DMs BOOK CLUB

Post your stories, songs and poetry or review/recommend a book.

Re: DMs BOOK CLUB

Postby Aicitarp » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:14 pm

I think everyone knows about this one already.

Title: Jane Eyre (1941)
Autor: Charlotte Bronte.

This is my favorite book, it belonged to my great gran.
Aicitarp
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby sayuri » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:18 pm

I just finished the first two books in The Selection series by Kiera Cass. Its about a young girl in what would be a future United States, only its called Illea and all the young maidens must attend a competition thats kind of like The Bachelor. They're competing to gain the heart of the prince and our female heroine, America Singer is no exception...Apart from the fact that she didn't want to be apart of it at first
"The fairy poet takes a sheet
Of moonbeam, silver white;
His ink is dew from daisies sweet,
His pen a point of light."
~Joyce Kilmer
sayuri
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby darkanomoly » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:31 pm

sayuri wrote:I just finished the first two books in The Selection series by Kiera Cass. Its about a young girl in what would be a future United States, only its called Illea and all the young maidens must attend a competition thats kind of like The Bachelor. They're competing to gain the heart of the prince and our female heroine, America Singer is no exception...Apart from the fact that she didn't want to be apart of it at first

You really are a maiden aren't you, lol in your own way
darkanomoly
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby sayuri » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:24 pm

darkanomoly wrote:
sayuri wrote:I just finished the first two books in The Selection series by Kiera Cass. Its about a young girl in what would be a future United States, only its called Illea and all the young maidens must attend a competition thats kind of like The Bachelor. They're competing to gain the heart of the prince and our female heroine, America Singer is no exception...Apart from the fact that she didn't want to be apart of it at first

You really are a maiden aren't you, lol in your own way

In my own way I would guess so. But since I have finished that series time for the next book!!
The one I am currently reading is the third book in the Splintered trilogy ( I finished the first two) Is a twisted gothic spin on wonderland. What lies for our heroes Alyssa, Morpheus and Jeb? Alyssa must now stand against Queen Red. In the end will she give into her netherling side and give up her humanity or will she give into her human side and lose her netherling side?
"The fairy poet takes a sheet
Of moonbeam, silver white;
His ink is dew from daisies sweet,
His pen a point of light."
~Joyce Kilmer
sayuri
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Gay Devil » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:47 am

The 100 is a science fiction series about 100 juvenile delinquents who are sent to earth a century after a nuclear apocalypse to recolonize the planet. It's told in third person and follows several main characters. It's also a TV show on CW, which is what the gif in my profile is from. :)
I'm cute as hell, which is incidentally where I came from.
Gay Devil
Part Time Dreamer
Part Time Dreamer

Postby Tal » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:44 pm

Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
Tal
A Helping Hand
A Helping Hand

Postby Sauron » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:00 am

Inferno ─ Dante Alighieri.
Sauron
The Dark Lord
The Dark Lord

Postby cannydreams » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:57 pm

" Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there."
cannydreams
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby otherworlds » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:24 am

The Girl On The Train
It sounds like one book that would really capture my attention
It reminds me of the book "Why Is This Night Different From All Other Nights?" which I recently read.
otherworlds
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby raymond1234 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:25 pm

The Time is Now by Julie Rowe.

The author had a near death experience several years ago and she saw the end times that are rapidly approaching.
She saw earthquakes around the world and volcanoes erupting.......even in Virginia.
A 9.0 earthquake will hit the Midwest and split the country in two, emptying the Great Lakes into the Gulf of Mexico.
She saw WW3 in the Middle East and Europe.
An invasion of the U.S. by China and Russia.

And many other things.........
raymond1234
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Sheena » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:08 pm

Regards Rowe, we've seen female authors who use that breathless manic adventure style. They are cynical salespeople interested in money,not art. If you need to stimulate adrenalin better to go for a run.
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby tropicalheatwave » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:26 pm

The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy:

I've read this book back in 2006 and remember it being really good. I've been looking for it as i now have the urge to reread it but i think i gave it away. Either that or i left it back in Florida during the move.
tropicalheatwave
put 'em up!
put 'em up!

Postby Tal » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:02 am

Sheena wrote:Regards Rowe, we've seen female authors who use that breathless manic adventure style. They are cynical salespeople interested in money,not art. If you need to stimulate adrenalin better to go for a run.

Indeed... :lol:

The Royal Stuarts: a history of...etc. Allan Massie.
Monstrous Regiment - Terry Pratchett
The Victorian Education Department Workbook of Arithmetic, Level 5 (1942)
Tal
A Helping Hand
A Helping Hand

Postby raymond1234 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:24 pm

Sheena wrote:Regards Rowe, we've seen female authors who use that breathless manic adventure style. They are cynical salespeople interested in money,not art. If you need to stimulate adrenalin better to go for a run.

My foot hurts from running so much in the Army, I walk now.
Thanks for the advice though.
But I am convinced we are in the end times and she gives good advice.
raymond1234
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Sheena » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:50 pm

End times mean you are part of Isis.
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby Clementine » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:14 am

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Clementine
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby operatormike » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:00 am

Reading The 5th Wave now. By Rick Yancey. I believe the movie is out. I haven't seen it, so please don't spoil it.

I like it so far. I am about 1/4 way into it. It is about an alien invasion of earth. No cute little ETs in this one. It is written from point of view. One teenage girls point of view goes for several chapters, then another guy is introduced. Very well written. Keeps my attentio
Who looks outside, dreams;
Projecting our images in space and in time
Yes is the answer
and you know that for sure
Yes is surrender, you got to let it,
you got to let it go---John Lennon
who looks inside, awakens! ---Carl Jung
operatormike
Gate Keeper
Gate Keeper

Postby Sheena » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:28 pm

Tal wrote:"The Messenger" Markus Zusak
Zusak is first rate.
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby Tal » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:08 am

A series of books about an alcoholic Norwegian police officer. Rather good but a bit Wallenderish.
Tal
A Helping Hand
A Helping Hand

Postby operatormike » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:56 am

Never had the pleasure of reading Zusak.

I am presently reading a fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. I figure if a fantasy writer has the gonads to use the R.R. he might be worth reading. It also helped that Robert Jordan gave him an endorsement on the back cover. I have read the fourteen book series The Wheel of Time by Jordan. Quite a fascinating ride.

Oh, the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire is A Game of Thrones. Yes, pretty much the screen play for the TV series. I have not watched any of the videos. I may do so after I finish the books. P.S. Within the WoT series, Jordan refers to the Game of Houses, which is essentially a Game of Thrones.
Yes is the answer
operatormike
Gate Keeper
Gate Keeper

Postby Nostalgic—- » Thu May 03, 2018 7:05 am

operatormike wrote:Never had the pleasure of reading Zusak.

I am presently reading a fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. I figure if a fantasy writer has the gonads to use the R.R. he might be worth reading. It also helped that Robert Jordan gave him an endorsement on the back cover. I have read the fourteen book series The Wheel of Time by Jordan. Quite a fascinating ride.

Oh, the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire is A Game of Thrones. Yes, pretty much the screen play for the TV series. I have not watched any of the videos. I may do so after I finish the books. P.S. Within the WoT series, Jordan refers to the Game of Houses, which is essentially a Game of Thrones.

Hiihii and at the mention of game of thrones! Here I am!
How far 8nto the books are you?
I waited 3 years then decided to watch the series since the next book still has no release date in sight!
It’s become my fav series other than a sword of truth (which to be honest it’s the chain fire trilogy within that series that I read first and loved the most)
Wheel of time was such a good read!
Nostalgic—-
Part Time Dreamer
Part Time Dreamer

Postby operatormike » Thu May 03, 2018 9:29 am

Hi and welcome back to your own thread, Nostalgic!

So, I am on the fifth and so far last book of "Game of Thrones", which of course is the book series Song of Ice and Fire. This book is Dance with Dragons, I am just at the beginning of it. The way he wrote the last two books was kind of different. The fourth book, Feast for Crows, was totally set in Westeros. This book, Dance with Dragons is set in the Free Cities and the wall. It is so refreshing to read about some of the characters left out of the last book, Tyrion, Danaerys, Jon Snow and others. It seemed like those characters were lost. Now we find them again, refreshing is the word.

So Wheel of Time, yes, a great read. I was never one for fantasy. Always loved sci-fi, but never crossed that slash mark into fantasy. That is until my daughter-in-law asked me to read the Wheel of Time with her. That would be a major commitment, 14 books about 1000 pages each. So I researched it and found the fascinating story about how the author, Robert Jordan, had written 11 books when he learned that he was dying of a terminal illness. He made plans for the twelth and final book, a Memory of Light. He wrote the last chapter, wrote copious notes about the characters and story lines, dictated more to a recorder, and discussed it at length with his editor, who was also his wife, Harriet McDougal Rigney. He assigned her the honor of finding an author worthy of completing the task. He died on time according to the doctors, May he walk in the Light.

So Tor is the publisher that Robert Jordan (actually James OIiver Rigney) and Harriet worked for. Tor publishing solicited applications for the job from their plethora of fantasy writers. Almost all of them had submitted a resume to Harriet hoping to be awarded the job. One young fantasy writer, Brandon Sanderson, did not submit a resume. He did however post a tribute to Robert Jordan on his own blog. He explained that it was Robert Jordan who inspired him embark on his career as a fantasy book writer. It was very moving. Here is a link if you care to read it:
https://brandonsanderson.com/euology-goodbye-mr-jordan/
So, Harriet saw this and invited him to have tea with her in her house in Charleston, South Carolina. She offered him the task. He said that he was honored. But, when he wrote all the Robert Jordan had envisioned, he and Harriet agreed that it was more than one book: it became three books!
After reading about this, I took the plunge and never looked back. I loved that series. Now I am hooked on fantasy!

P.S. When I started reading them, I thought the story line was very familiar. I came to this thread and sure enough, you had told me about Wheel of Time all those years earlier. Thanks, Nostalgic!

Peace,
Operator Mike
Yes is the answer
operatormike
Gate Keeper
Gate Keeper

Postby Nostalgic—- » Thu May 03, 2018 9:51 am

Thx, it’s great to be back! :D
Ohhh you got some clif hangers coming up in that book!

It was a a great series, been years so I’ve forgottom most details but the ending stands out along with the warrior woman, loved her character, the aies sedi!? The fighting one, Can’t even spell things lol
The start when they running from the village.
Nostalgic—-
Part Time Dreamer
Part Time Dreamer

Previous

Return to Literary Corner