Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

DMs BOOK CLUB

Post your stories, songs and poetry or review/recommend a book.

DMs BOOK CLUB

Postby Nostalgic » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:38 am

Ok, so here is how it works,

When you finish a book you put all the details here,

Mark 1 to Five candies (5 being excellent, no emoticon for stars, so candy it is)

This way we can post all our books we read and maybe find something to read next.

I will start.

----------------------

:candy: :candy: :candy:

My comments:
I picked the book obviously because of the origami involved.
It was a good read and dealt with the unknown (ghosts and parallel universes)
It didn't get 5 stars from me because I found the end didn't really match the story.

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Drea ... i/2737786/

Dreams of Origami
By Elenor Gill

Description
Gideon dreams of hands folding white paper, unaware that time, and those hands, are waiting to enfold him. Lacey stands on the edge, afraid to open her heart. And Triss, grieving the loss of her baby, looks up to find that her husband has vanished. The inexplicable disappearance of Matthew Caxton brings together an unlikely collection of people, each unaware that a series of uncanny events will challenge what they believe and who they trust. In the wide Fenlands, ancient mysteries lie beneath the drained soil, and the ghosts of past lives are never far away. As unseasonal storms, violence and sudden death are unleashed, an old schoolhouse bell begins to toll in Gainsborough Street. With his origami dreams becoming more urgent, psychic researcher Gideon Wakefield knows something powerful is close. And when your home becomes a centre of cataclysmic change, no one can predict the outcome …

I’m back
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Re: DMs BOOK CLUB

Postby Yes, What? » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:58 am

The table of contents has guided extenuating research into insight without using the drug.

If i should use the drug in the future it would be a rare occurance and i would be lifting off from an altitude equivalent of the author not an ignorant test subject.

That is the only true way to make it through the Greater Doorway to the Numinous.

Brief Table of Contents:
(Book is general summary of the following subject matter, the internet would offer more insight.)

1. General Introduction
2. Abstract and Aesthetic Experiences in LSD Sessions
3. Psychodynamic Experiences in LSD Sessions. (COEX Systems)
4. Perinatal Experiences (Perinatal Matrices and significance in LSD Psychotherapy)
5. Transpersonal Experiences (Temporal Expansion of Consciousness, Spatial Expansion and Constriction)
6. Multidimensional and Multilevel Nature of the LSD Experience
Yes, What?
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby Nostalgic » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:10 am

Is it easy to read? I am no good with long tech words :shock:
I’m back
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby endebendel » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:07 pm

What? Teacher don't assign enough book reports?
'Sticky' means what?
Try The Week, with book list every issue.
endebendel
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby candi14 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:20 am

Christmas Jars ( read it while ago) But last one I read all way through.
(((here's a star you can use)))Image

ImageImageImageImage

Christmas Jars is a little book with a big message about the Christmas season. In an age when Christmas gift giving has become more of an expensive routine than a heartfelt pleasure for many people, Jason Wright offers an alternative that recaptures the spirit of the season.

When young newspaper reporter Hope Jensen experienced one of those horrible Christmas Eves that are often written about in newspapers like hers, she had no reason to believe that anything good would come from the experience. Getting through her first Christmas without her adoptive mother was going to be hard enough already but, when she returned to her apartment wanting nothing more than to sleep the rest of the day away, things would get worse. Hope found her apartment trashed by burglars, something that seems to happen all too often on Christmas Eve.

Finding herself somewhere between bursting into tears and throwing a tantrum, Hope was saved from doing either when she discovered a small jar stuffed with coins and paper currency that had mysteriously appeared just inside her apartment door during all the excitement. There was nothing to indicate its source or why it had been left for her. Smelling a newspaper story, and in need of something pleasant on which to focus, Hope Jensen decided that she would solve the mystery of her Christmas jar.

What she discovered about the Christmas jar tradition in her town, and what she learned about herself in the process, is the heart of this Christmas story. It is a story about strangers giving gifts to those who need them most, and how those who received the jars on one Christmas often gave Christmas jars of their own to others on the next.
Anger and jealousy can no more bear to lose sight of their objects than love. ~George Eliot
candi14
Dream Angel
Dream Angel

Postby Nostalgic » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:29 am

endelbendel wrote:What? Teacher don't assign enough book reports?
'Sticky' means what?
Try The Week, with book list every issue.

I left school at age 15 so never got any book reports, true story!

Sticky = Sticky (I was at school long enough to learn that word) http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sticky
Example text: Sticky post stalker :D

Thx for the advice on "the week" I will def take a look as well as looking here.

Thx candi, I may look at that one,

I am currently reading the lost symbol by Dan Brown,

I'll give my review when done; It is ok so far, After that I will start the wheel of time series.

::edit:: I advice not leaving school early, I regret it
I’m back
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby bSmonkey » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:05 pm

Yes, What? wrote:The table of contents has guided extenuating research into insight without using the drug.

If i should use the drug in the future it would be a rare occurance and i would be lifting off from an altitude equivalent of the author not an ignorant test subject.

That is the only true way to make it through the Greater Doorway to the Numinous.

Brief Table of Contents:
(Book is general summary of the following subject matter, the internet would offer more insight.)

1. General Introduction
2. Abstract and Aesthetic Experiences in LSD Sessions
3. Psychodynamic Experiences in LSD Sessions. (COEX Systems)
4. Perinatal Experiences (Perinatal Matrices and significance in LSD Psychotherapy)
5. Transpersonal Experiences (Temporal Expansion of Consciousness, Spatial Expansion and Constriction)
6. Multidimensional and Multilevel Nature of the LSD Experience

Why don't you start your journey with something more... em.. more natural. Start with mushrooms! ;) And make sure you follow the dose instructions. No need to overdo it. No need for O.D. They can become very soul corrupting and frightening if you're not carefull. No mean to scare you off or brag about anything. On the contrary, I have a strong belief that some drugs can open up some spiritual windows we never considered even excisting, but on the other hand, I have to warn you about some fuck ups I've come across while experimenting. (I don't use chemicals nowadays, although I really miss some of them).
LSD, is a lifechanging substance and from my point of view it's just not worth it! It's very non addicting BUT! It can mess up your life very easily when you are not ready for it. I don't know how to express this in a more coprehensible way, because many people I know had this trip many times and even though they had some "bad trips" they continued using them and looked pretty ok to me. When I started experimenting with it, I was also ok but when the "bad trips" started happening, I must say that I was really stupid to have continued them. Some people are just not built to take such a strong feeling. I have documented many occurances I went through and although I know that they happened for a reason, I must say... It's just not worth it!!! You can really lose it! If you don't lose it on the spot, you might lose it after a month or so, when you are fairly clean and that is what freaked me out.

Personaly, I didn't get to see many oracles or spiritual things I awaited for. I just saw the bright lights and some optical and audiable fractals and that's that. The thing that was greatly altered was my nervous system. It kind of shocked me. It scared the shit out of me! I was laughing without finding something funny while simultaneous crying. :neer: and I just couldn't help it! And this is the less frightening shit I came across. I got maaaaaaany stories. For most of my personal troubles I get to blame my LSD lust of the past. What does that tell you?

Try some shrooms first, really! They are much more spiritual and enjoyable, plus they are not vengefull. When you get them out of your system, they remain out. They respect you more. And the trips are much more inspired and nature friendly. (You will enjoy them much more in a forest). LSD is a risk from my point of view, not worth taking. It can really screw you upside down. Don't listen to any kind of spiritual wannabe. That's my suggestion.

Or try Mescalin for a harder trip. Atleast, even if it freaks you out, when it gets out it stays out too. Read "The Doors of Perception" instead. Pretty interesting book. That's what puzzled me about spiritual observation in the first place. Salvia, is a plant which you smoke and causes you almost instantly to hallucinate. The trip is like entering a really psychedelic virtual reality, like dreaming while awake, but it lasts for 5 to 10 minutes tops. It doesn't last as long as a substance which you might regret taking, while thinking in agony " Oh shit! The trip just started. Be patient, be patient. Another 16 hours and I'll get out clean. But... How am I supposed to keep track of time when it seems to have disappeared"?
Bite your tongue, swear to keep,
keep your mouth shut.
Make up something,
make up something good.
bSmonkey
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby rustic_vampire » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:31 am

Whispers by Dean Knootz

I give it :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy:

I originally picked it because it was by Dean Knootz, he is one of my favorite authors. I had read a couple of his other books and thought I would give this one a shot.
description (haha written by someone else not myself)
Hilary Thomas becomes the target of a deranged psychopath. Amazingly, this psychotic killer continues to stalk Hilary despite having a death certificate with his name on it. Twists and strange events draw Hilary and her detective boyfriend closer to the truth as Hilary finds herself face to face again with this brutal murderer. Will the answers they discovered be enough to save Hilary?

If you to get into the psychological side of things, I strongly recommend this book. It's a page turner and makes you think about people and how life events impact them for the rest of their lives.
Life's a random deal of the cards. Play the best you can with the hand you got dealt
rustic_vampire
Poetic Justice
Poetic Justice

Postby bSmonkey » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:08 am

Chaos, Creativity and Cosmic Consciousness

(I'm not done reading this book yet. Half way through! :clap: The reason I clap is because although I'm usually a very fast reader, this book really needs your full attention in order to understand it and built on your thinking. It's very interesting but it demands a special mode of reading. McKenna is one of my favorites)! Enjoy! :)

In this book of "trialogues," the late psychedelic visionary and shamanologist Terence McKenna, acclaimed biologist and originator of the morphogenetic fields theory Rupert Sheldrake, and mathematician and chaos theory scientist Ralph Abraham explore the relationships between chaos and creativity and their connection to cosmic consciousness. Their observations call into question our current views of reality, morality, and the nature of life in the universe. The authors challenge the reader to the deepest levels of thought with wide-ranging investigations of the ecology of inner and outer space, the role of chaos in the dynamics of human creation, and the resacralization of the world. Among the provocative questions the authors raise are: Is Armageddon a self-fulfilling prophecy? Are we humans the imaginers or the imagined? Are the eternal laws of nature still evolving? What is the connection between physical light and the light of consciousness?

Part ceremony, part old-fashioned intellectual discussion, these trialogues are an invitation to a new understanding of what Jean Houston calls "the dreamscapes of our everyday waking life."

http://store.innertraditions.com/Produc ... 9281-977-5 (This is the link for more information).
Bite your tongue, swear to keep,
keep your mouth shut.
Make up something,
make up something good.
bSmonkey
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby xxParisJacksonFanxx » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:21 pm

Okay here's a book I've got done reading a few weeks ago. I don't know if you know this book or not but alot of people in the USA knows it. It's called "The Lost Boy" also known as "A Child Called It" it's a very sad TRUE story about a child named Dave Pelzer who was child abused badly by his mother and he grew up and wrote this book about his life:

It's a true story about 9 year old boy (Dave Pelzer) who's mother calls him "it" and she makes him sit on the bottom step of the stairs in the garage and never to move a muscle without her permission and everyday after school she makes him throw up in the toilet to make sure he didn't steal any food. He dressed in a pair of worn out blue jeans, a ripped t-shirt, and old worn out sneakers. And he has 3 or 4 older brothers who are alowd to do whatever they want and in the mornings if the boys don't finish their breakfast like cereal then Dave gets to finish it. his father is a fire fighter who is an alcoholic and he thinks the mother treats Dave badly so she makes him come upstairs into the house and to play a "game" with her, the "game" is you can't talk or else you're out and she asks him if he feels he's mistreated and she yells for him to answer her and he goes to open his dried out mouth and she yells for having his mouth open to answer and she tells him to get out of her house so he slowly walks out the door and runs away. He eventually walks into a bar and finds a quarter on a pool table and he takes it and a guy makes him give it back, and Dave said he wanted it to buy a piece of pizza so the guy gives him a coke and aks if he's okay, then he goes into the kitchen area and tells Dave he's going to go make a pizza for him, but he really called a cop. the cop takes him to the station and his father picked him up and yelled at him on the way home. Later on in the story when he's 12 years old he goes into foster care and every night he has nightmares that his mother is coming after him with a knife in her hand And he tells the foster mother that his real mother has stabbed him before and said it was an accident and to stop the nightmares or something the foster mother takes him to a psychologist. then later he goes to court to see if he can stay in foster care or go back to live with his mother. In court his mother claims he was a bad uncontrollable child and she acts all sweet and innocent and behind everyone's backs she tells Dave she will come back for him. and He ends up being put in foster care and his mother says goodbye to him and gives him new toys and new clothes. then later on in the story he is stealing things and causing trouble with another boy from his new school. and his friend starts a fire in a classroom when school is over for the day and Dave was with him and the friend ran out of the room and Dave was trying to put the fire out but a girl saw him and told a teacher that was there that Dave started a fire and everyone accused him for starting it and his friend lied by telling the principle Dave done it. then Dave goes to the juveinile county jail for 30 days then was proven innocent for putting the fire out that his friend started. then Later in the story he's 16 or 18 and he gets a dirt bike and him and some new friends ride it and he falls off it then later he's older and has a child of his own named Stephen. and he is the best father to his kid. and does everything together. then thats about all. it is a good book but really sad.
PARIS JACKSON is my IDOL!!

xxParisJacksonFanxx
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Bubbydoll » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:25 pm

Cat Heaven

Was my last reading. It was recommended by a fellow forum member to me. And I really
enjoyed, and loved this book. I still grieve my passed on kittums and this book is a sweet way to deal with those feelings.
And I lovely book to pass on to others as well, children and adults alike.
It was actually the first time I ever cried reading a book, surprised me. Lots of left over emotions.

:candy: :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy:

Cat Heaven Book By Cynthia Rylant

Cat Heaven By Cynthia Rylant. If you have ever been lucky enough to have a special cat in your life, then you know there is a special place called Cat Heaven. From School Library Journal PreSchool-Grade 2. Cat Heaven sounds like paradise. A rhyming text describes a realm in which felines are fed from God`s countertop, a place where they no longer get stuck in trees because now they can fly. There are thousands of toys, and soft angel laps in which to cuddle. There is even a quiet time to look back on former homes and loving people. The story has spiritualism and reverence but not in a traditional manner. God is depicted as a kindly older man who washes the cats` bowls and "walks in His garden with a good black book and a kitty asleep on His head." His coloring varies from pink to brown to yellowish tan. The visual impact of the book is stunning. Cats of all colors frolic through the exuberantly hued pages. Vibrant yellows, blues, reds, purples, and greens create a feast for the eyes. Even the color of the text changes to contrast with the background. Whether read as a story to younger children or used in a discussion of the nature of heaven with older ones, this deceptively simple, sweet book is rewarding.
"There's no time for us
There's no place for us
What is this thing that builds our dreams
Yet slips away from us"
Bubbydoll
Bubby-Licious!
Bubby-Licious!

Postby rustic_vampire » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:10 pm

I just finished Wicked today

I give it :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy:

Main reason why I give it 4 is because it is kind of hard to read, at least for me. But it's very good.

It's the story of how Elphaba (the wicked witch of the west) became who she is. From the beginning, she's been different, I mean she is green, that's not normal. both her parents resented her in different ways. And both her parents believe it was their own sins and wrong doings that made her the way she is. She's the oldest of 3. Her sister is Nessarose and her brother is Shell. Nessarose is born with no arms and Shell is the only child born with no physical problems. When she's old enough she goes to University called Shiz, and that is where she meets Galinda. Elphaba and Galinda are roomates and couldn't be more opposite. Over time they form a friendship, along with a group of guys, as well as Nessarose when she goes to Shiz. Elphaba and Galinda go to see the Wizard, only to find out the Wizard isn't as great as everyone claims him to be. This is where they split. Elphaba stays in the Emerald City and she makes Galinda go back to Shiz. Years pass and no one had seen Elphaba. Then one of her old friends finds her, Fiyero, who is a Prince and is married and has 3 kids. They end up having an affair, then a tragic accident happens. Elphaba goes to his wife some years later to talk to her about his death, but she doesn't listen to any of it. Elphaba learns that the boy who was set to stay with her, is indeed her and Fiyero's son. Elphaba runs into Galinda after she learns of her sister's death. Then it goes into the story of the original Wizard of Oz, only from Elphaba's point of view. All in All, she isn't as wicked as the original wizard of oz makes her sound
Life's a random deal of the cards. Play the best you can with the hand you got dealt
rustic_vampire
Poetic Justice
Poetic Justice

Postby Nostalgic » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:38 pm

I will read some of the ones above,

Just Finished the lost Symbol by Dan Brown

:candy: :candy:

It kept me turning the pages but it was the da vinci code all over again,

The holy grail becomes the ancient masonic mysteries
Robert langdon is de coding symbols
The French Police become the CIA,

Here is what the net says

In this stunning follow–up to the global phenomenon The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown demonstrates once again why he is the world’s most popular thriller writer. The Lost Symbol is a masterstroke of storytelling—a deadly race through a real–world labyrinth of codes, secrets, and unseen truths . . . all under the watchful eye of Brown’s most terrifying villain to date. Set within the hidden chambers, tunnels, and temples of Washington, D.C., The Lost Symbol accelerates through a startling landscape toward an unthinkable finale.

As the story opens, Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is summoned unexpectedly to deliver an evening lecture in the U.S. Capitol Building. Within minutes of his arrival, however, the night takes a bizarre turn. A disturbing object —artfully encoded with five symbols—is discovered in the Capitol Building. Langdon recognizes the object as an ancient invitation . . . one meant to usher its recipient into a long–lost world of esoteric wisdom.

When Langdon’s beloved mentor, Peter Solomon—a prominent Mason and philanthropist —is brutally kidnapped, Langdon realizes his only hope of saving Peter is to accept this mystical invitation and follow wherever it leads him. Langdon is instantly plunged into a clandestine world of Masonic secrets, hidden history, and never–before–seen locations—all of which seem to be dragging him toward a single, inconceivable truth.

As the world discovered in The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons, Dan Brown’s novels are brilliant tapestries of veiled histories, arcane symbols, and enigmatic codes. In this new novel, he again challenges readers with an intelligent, lightning–paced story that offers surprises at every turn. The Lost Symbol is exactly what Brown’s fans have been waiting for . . . his most thrilling novel yet.
I’m back
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby rustic_vampire » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:16 pm

adult children of acholoics

:candy: :candy: :candy: and 1/2 =P

It's a book about children who had acholoic parents. About breaking the cycle and why they turn out like they do. Even though it's about kids of acholoics, it's directed towards any kind of dysfunctional family. There are similarities in patterns, and I for one actually learned a lot about myself. It explains why kids that have acholoic parents lie, and withdraw from others, and try to control everything, and things like that. (I'll add more in a little bit I'm not very good at givin book reports right now lol)
rustic_vampire
Poetic Justice
Poetic Justice

Postby Xwikki » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:17 pm

Skellig, by David Almond.

I remember one of my teachers reading it to the class when I was little, and I've only just gotten a copy recently. I loved it. :) Tis about a boy finding an angel in his garage when he moves house.
Xwikki
Dream Moods Queen 2011 - Going Dark

Postby candi14 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:54 am

rustic_vampire wrote:I just finished Wicked today

I give it :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy:

Main reason why I give it 4 is because it is kind of hard to read, at least for me. But it's very good.

It's the story of how Elphaba (the wicked witch of the west) became who she is. From the beginning, she's been different, I mean she is green, that's not normal. both her parents resented her in different ways. And both her parents believe it was their own sins and wrong doings that made her the way she is. She's the oldest of 3. Her sister is Nessarose and her brother is Shell. Nessarose is born with no arms and Shell is the only child born with no physical problems. When she's old enough she goes to University called Shiz, and that is where she meets Galinda. Elphaba and Galinda are roomates and couldn't be more opposite. Over time they form a friendship, along with a group of guys, as well as Nessarose when she goes to Shiz. Elphaba and Galinda go to see the Wizard, only to find out the Wizard isn't as great as everyone claims him to be. This is where they split. Elphaba stays in the Emerald City and she makes Galinda go back to Shiz. Years pass and no one had seen Elphaba. Then one of her old friends finds her, Fiyero, who is a Prince and is married and has 3 kids. They end up having an affair, then a tragic accident happens. Elphaba goes to his wife some years later to talk to her about his death, but she doesn't listen to any of it. Elphaba learns that the boy who was set to stay with her, is indeed her and Fiyero's son. Elphaba runs into Galinda after she learns of her sister's death. Then it goes into the story of the original Wizard of Oz, only from Elphaba's point of view. All in All, she isn't as wicked as the original wizard of oz makes her sound

This book sounds really good.
And you gave it lots of candies
I want to read it. :)
Anger and jealousy can no more bear to lose sight of their objects than love. ~George Eliot
candi14
Dream Angel
Dream Angel

Postby Nostalgic » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:48 am

Second that ^
I’m back
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby Nostalgic » Wed May 05, 2010 12:42 pm

The wheel of time book 1, Eye of the world by Robert Jordan;

:candy: :candy: :candy: :candy:

The peaceful villagers of Emond's Field pay little heed to rumors of war in the western lands until a savage attack by troll-like minions of the Dark One forces three young men to confront a destiny which has its origins in the time known as The Breaking of the World. This richly detailed fantasy presents a fully realized, complex adventure which will appeal to fans of classic quests
I’m back
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby acb1134 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:20 pm

I read a book called Summer Sisters by Judy Bloom.
Weirdest book I have ever read but I somewhat liked it. My friend had read it and told me how many bad parts where in it. But I only read it twice so.

acb1134
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby Nostalgic » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:09 am

acb1134 wrote:I read a book called Summer Sisters by Judy Bloom.
Weirdest book I have ever read but I somewhat liked it. My friend had read it and told me how many bad parts where in it. But I only read it twice so.

Only twice? how many times do you read books?

I am now on the 4th book of the "Wheel of time" series and loving it :D
I’m back
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby Tal » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:13 pm

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.

Lots of emotions reading it. Going to hunt down more of her books.
Tal
A Helping Hand
A Helping Hand

DMs BOOK CLUB

Postby hectorloshuk » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:23 am

I have Storm Front sitting in the Great Pile o Unread Books, from which I select my next book using rather esoteric and arcane methods. Seriously. I never know what book I will read next until I put the one I just finished away on the Bookshelves of Completitude. That said, Id be game if my reading quirks line up with the timing of this, and if I particpate with this and get a turn, be prepared for potentially strange timing of the selection.

Funny, my PIP self-development plan at work I was going to start a building book club.
hectorloshuk
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby MegMegsters » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:33 pm

AWESOME BOOK! I reccommend everyone read it :)

From Publishers Weekly
The final pages of Koontz's newest are uplifting enough to make Cain repent and Pilate weep. And there's much else in this novel to savor-and savor it readers must, because some of the book is slow going (it's also much too long). There's scarcely an author alive who, judging by his books, loves the English language more than Koontz; there's certainly no bestselling author of popular fiction who makes more use of figures of speech and whose sentences offer more musicality. That can be Koontz's weakness as well as strength, however. Koontz is also one of the great suspense authors, and when he's fashioned a particularly robust plot to carry his creative prose, as in last year's By the Light of the Moon, he's an Olympian. But when he stretches a thin story line beyond resilience, the language can overcome the narrative like kudzu vines. That happens here, despite the tale's grandeur and strong lines. The eponymous Face is the world's biggest movie star; he doesn't appear in the novel, but his smart, geeky 10-year-old son, Fric, takes center stage, as does Ethan Truman, cop-turned-security chief of the Face's elaborate estate and Fric's main human protector when one Corky Laputa, who's dedicated his life to anarchy, decides to sow further disorder by kidnapping this progeny of the world's idol. Fric's secondary protector was also human, a mobster, until he recently died and became Fric's (somewhat inept) guardian angel. Most of the narrative concerns Corky's abominations and Ethan and Fric's dawning awareness, via numerous uncanny events, of the unfolding horror. Koontz's characters are memorable and his unique mix of suspense and humor absorbing; but his overwriting-e.g., a chapter of about 2,000 words to describe Corky's coverup of a murder, when a sentence or two would have sufficed-make this worthy novel less than a dream. Still, great kudos to Koontz for creating, within the strictures of popular fiction, another notable novel of ideas and of moral imperatives.
The angel opens her eyes, the confusion sets in.
MegMegsters
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby greenhavoc » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:57 am

i think there may have only been 2 people in here actually worth a damn :left:
greenhavoc
the wrecking ball
the wrecking ball

Postby Nostalgic » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:55 pm

Just started the 6th book in the wheel of time series and still loving it! :D
I’m back
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby usernamefame » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:57 pm

Small Steps by Louis Sachar

I would of given it 5 candies except the ending was too sad. I hate books that end so tragic! It kills the whole story. Except the last paragragh of the book was really beautiful and powerful. I read Holes too which is the first book in the series but didn't really like it. Small Steps is a hundred times better! :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy:
"Perhaps there is a language which is not made of words and everything in the world understands it. Perhaps there is a soul hidden in everything and it can always speak, without even making a sound, to another soul."
usernamefame
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Postby Xwikki » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Crescendo - Becca Fitzpatrick

The sequel to Hush, Hush. Loved the first book, this one is twice as better. Personally I think it's different from what's in the typical book fantasy market, the characters are great. Also, it ended with a cliff hanger. As irritating as it may be, means theres room for more. :lovestruck:

It's about a fallen angel, who in the previous book tries to become human in order to feel physical sensation or summin summin like that. This one is about relationship issues between the fallen angel and nephilim. Cant really say too much cause it would be ruining the book, also it's practically about keeping secrets because they're being watched 24/7. Having to find ways to communicate, introducing new characters and having to work out what side they're on. It defiantly has a twist, as obvious as it seems later on I didn't guess it. :lol:

4 Candies because I want the next one to come out soon. :lol:

Xwikki

Postby Shadow Dreamer » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:15 am

"The Shadow Dreamer" is a novel in ebook format about dreaming. I won't rate it, because being the author, that would be...well, a bit obnoxious.
Chelsea Coxheart murders people in her dreams, a fact of which she's not proud. She'd really rather be normal.
Thomas is the man she's loved all of her life, mostly from afar. He's a Mare, a creator of nightmares. Chelsea understands that his work is important. People need nightmares to keep them on the straight and narrow. The problem is, Mares hunt her in her dreams, and when they get too close, sometimes she has to kill them. It makes the relationship a bit...tricky.
Then an elderly woman is murdered, a Dream Person, a creator of pleasant dreams. There is a new killer in town, and it's a Mare. Chelsea suspects that she'll be the next victim, considering her, um, proclivities. Should she join forces with the Dream People, those annoying, hollow-eyed losers, or stick it out alone, as she's always done?
I hope you'll check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Shadow-Dreamer-ebook/dp/B0043EWYQC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290618673&sr=1-1
Last edited by Shadow Dreamer on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shadow Dreamer
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby Kuahji » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:59 pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Something Incredibly Wonderful Happens

http://www.amazon.com/Something-Incredi ... 0151008221

Started out a bit slow, and I feared it wouldn't come around, but it ended up being quite good. Really outlined where and how our educational system in America is going wrong and other philosophies and ideas of a great scientist from the atomic bomb era.
Love is a power just as strong as the atom. -Max Born
Kuahji
Paranormal Investigator
Paranormal Investigator

Postby nicco99 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:10 pm

Xwikki wrote:Crescendo - Becca Fitzpatrick

The sequel to Hush, Hush. Loved the first book, this one is twice as better. Personally I think it's different from what's in the typical book fantasy market, the characters are great. Also, it ended with a cliff hanger. As irritating as it may be, means theres room for more. :lovestruck:

It's about a fallen angel, who in the previous book tries to become human in order to feel physical sensation or summin summin like that. This one is about relationship issues between the fallen angel and nephilim. Cant really say too much cause it would be ruining the book, also it's practically about keeping secrets because they're being watched 24/7. Having to find ways to communicate, introducing new characters and having to work out what side they're on. It defiantly has a twist, as obvious as it seems later on I didn't guess it. :lol:

I NEED THAT BOOK! i've read the first one... and now i need to read the second one... :/ wanna send me it??? :)

i've read the book Fallen...by lauren kate...(i think thats the author..) and now i also gotta get the next book Torment...
~ Dude, Suckin' at something is the first step to being sorta good at something. ~
nicco99
the Chosen One
the Chosen One

Postby Xwikki » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:13 pm

Haha, it's very good. :D Oh, I have read Fallen aswell; don't quiz me on it though, cant remember a thing. :lol: Need to re-read it. Haven't read Torment yet actually. ^^
Xwikki

Postby nicco99 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:36 pm

Hopefully i will get both books soon :)
~ Dude, Suckin' at something is the first step to being sorta good at something. ~
nicco99
the Chosen One
the Chosen One

Postby Nostalgic » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:25 am

I am now on Book 13, the last book will come out in 2012

It is a great series although not as good as the sword of truth series.

Plot summary

The prequel novel, New Spring, takes place during the Aiel War and chronicles the end of the conflict and the discovery by the Aes Sedai that one of the Prophecies of the Dragon has been fulfilled, that the Dragon has been Reborn. Aes Sedai agents (including a young Moiraine Damodred) are dispatched to try to find the newborn child before servants of the Shadow can do the same.

The series proper commences almost twenty years later in the Two Rivers, a near-forgotten backwater district of the country of Andor. An Aes Sedai, Moiraine, and her Warder Lan, arrive in the village of Emond's Field with news that servants of the Dark One are searching for one particular young man living in the area. Moiraine is unable to determine which of three youths (Rand al'Thor, Mat Cauthon or Perrin Aybara) is the Dragon Reborn, so she takes all three of them out of the Two Rivers, along with their friend Egwene al'Vere. Nynaeve al'Meara, the unusually young village Wisdom (a healer or wise-woman figure), later meets up with them at the town of Baerlon. The men are mystified why Moiraine has allowed Egwene and Nynaeve to travel with them, but it is later revealed that both of them can channel the One Power and learn to be Aes Sedai. A mysterious old gleeman named Thom Merrilin also travels with the group, claiming he wants to travel in safety when leaving the Two Rivers. The first novel depicts their flight from various agents of the Shadow and their attempts to escape to the Aes Sedai city of Tar Valon.

From then on, the story expands and the original characters are frequently split into different groups and pursue different missions or agendas aimed at furthering the cause of the Dragon Reborn (revealed to be Rand al'Thor), sometimes thousands of miles apart. The original group of characters from the Two Rivers make new allies, gain experience and become figures of some influence and authority. As they struggle to unite the western kingdoms against the Dark One's forces, their task is complicated by rulers of the nations who refuse to give up their authority and by factions such as the Children of the Light, who do not believe in the prophecies, and the Seanchan, the descendants of a long-lost colony of Artur Hawkwing's empire across the western ocean (Hawkwing had once united the mainland continent under his rule, and sent his son across the ocean to unite those lands as well) who have returned, believing it is their destiny to conquer the world. The Aes Sedai also become divided between those who believe the Dragon Reborn should be strictly controlled, and those who believe he must freely lead them into battle as he did in the earlier war. As the story expands, new characters representing different factions are introduced: although this expansion of the narrative allows the sheer scale of the growing struggle to be effectively depicted, it has been criticized for slowing the pace of the novels and sometimes reducing the appearances of the original cast to extended cameos. By the eleventh novel, it has become clear that the Last Battle, caused when the Dark One is able to exert its influence directly on the world once more, is imminent.
I’m back
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby Tal » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:29 am

Pomegranate Soup - Marsha Mehran.

Set in County Mayo, Ireland in the mid-80s, 3 sisters who escaped revolutionary Iran in 1979 and after a lot of crap and hardship, set up a small Persian cafe in a hick Irish town. Beautiful, beautiful story.
And each chapter is prefaced with a Persian recipe.
Tal
A Helping Hand
A Helping Hand

Postby Hannahljmr » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:21 am

"We Still Hold These Truths" by Matthew Spalding

It's a book written from a historian about the Constitution. By learning our history we gain a better understanding for our republic, and how our system works. Learn what truths the founding fathers believed were self evident, and that we still hold these truths today. It's a wonderful source of information, with no political bias. I give it 5 candies! :D

Hannahljmr
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby nicco99 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:22 pm

Where's Bin Laden? -by i don't know who..

i had a quick read of it in the book store... definitely worth buying.. but of course i had no money at the time...
nicco99
the Chosen One
the Chosen One

Postby Xwikki » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:33 am

:lol: I'm surprised they can sell that.

I just finished two books recently. Firstly The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff.
Of course you can tell why I bought it. :oops: Guilty.

The author is absolutely stunning. :lovestruck:

Anyway anyway. I found it confusing when I first started reading it, though I actually quite liked it because it's rather original. For originality, I give it:
For the book I give it:
:candy: :candy: :candy:

It's about a boy called Mackie, in a town where babies are stolen and replaced by look alikes. They usually die because they're replaced by ill children, though Mackie survives into his teens. Though the replacements cannot stand being around iron or steel, hate the smell of blood (because of the iron) and cannot go into concecrated areas. I first thought the book was about vampires, though it kinda seems to be the opposite. Basically, Mackie has to work for a woman called the Morrigan in order to survive, as he's dying and needs these herbal whatevers. He falls in love with some girl, blah blah blah. :P

I must've bought the new cover, because when I googled it I got another book cover come up.

Personally I like this one better, it's far more interesting and if I saw that on a book shelf I'd buy it for the cover. :P
Xwikki

Postby operatormike » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:44 am

Hi Dream Moods friends,

The author is stunning, Vikki!

So, I made a new friend and we had a deeply spiritual conversation (go figure) and he sent me this book:

Mutant Message Down Under by Marlo Morgan :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy: :candy:

It is one of the best books that I have ever read. And I have read a lot of books. It is short, but profound. It was a best seller when it came out in 1991.

The author presents this as "fiction", but I suspect that is more to protect her new found friends, the Australian Aborigines, than anything. So Nostalgic and Nicco and Future Dreamer and Tal (did I miss anyone from Down Under?), you-ins should be especially interested since it is about your neck of the woods!

Seems this American lady became involved with Aborigines and a tribe of them took her for a walk-about in the Outback for like 4 months. She had a spiritual awakening and they revealed ancient wisdom to her. They chose her as their messenger to the rest of us "mutants".

It renewed and strengthened my faith in everything...the Divine Oneness, humanity...our oneness with nature and eachother...everything!!!

Peace,
Operator Mike
Who looks outside, dreams;
So keep on playing those mind games together
Doing the ritual dance in the sun
Millions of mind guerrillas
Putting their soul power to the karmic wheel
---John Lennon
who looks inside, awakens! ---Carl Jung
operatormike
Gate Keeper
Gate Keeper

Postby Nostalgic » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:23 am

Sounds interesting OM, I may have to get me a copy
I’m back
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby operatormike » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:23 am

Yes, do that, Nostalgic. You won't be disappointed.

She wrote another book, so I googled her name to find the name of it and found that she posted a little blurb on her own website. Here it is:
From Author Marlo Morgan
Sharing what I learned for anyone listening

Marlo Morgan's message

OK, then back to the search, I found a critique by an Australian woman who actually works with and studies the Aborigines. She makes many clear direct points as to the falseness of Marlo Morgans claims. This woman, Chris Sitka (aka Napaltjarri), appears to be very sincere and motivated by a need to protect her Aboriginal friends from the damage that some of the false statements of this book might cause..primarily Marlo Morgan's assertion that the Aborigines are in a state of excellent health. She states that the truth is they are dying of preventable diseases and need attention.

The Critique

I must admit, since I have studied Native American "Indian" culture to some extent, that I was amazed at the similarities. I was thinking such things as...since there is clearly no genetic connection and an insurmountable distance for stone-age peoples to overcome...this common knowledge and culture must be innate! The idea that it was fabricated hold much more credence for me.

So, that took a bit of the wind out of my sails, however, if you read it as a fictional novel (which she states is the case), it is still a wonderful fantasy! Oh, well!!!

How do I remove one candy??? :candy: :dancing: :candy: :candy: :candy:

Peace,
OM
Who looks outside, dreams;
So keep on playing those mind games together
Doing the ritual dance in the sun
Millions of mind guerrillas
Putting their soul power to the karmic wheel
---John Lennon
who looks inside, awakens! ---Carl Jung
operatormike
Gate Keeper
Gate Keeper

Postby Nostalgic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:36 am

Sounds good,
I think I will be a way off yet though. The last book of the wheel of time does not come out till next year and I started reading the first book again. I have a feeling I will read the entire series again while waiting for the last book :shock:
I’m back
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby Hannahljmr » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:54 am

I heard that was a good book Nos. I think that's going to be my next book purchase.
Hannahljmr
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Nostalgic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:56 am

The Wheel Of Time or OMs book?

The Wheel Of Time is a great series, I almost finished book one again. I think it is easy to read again as while it was great I can't remember the small details so it will be good to get them stuck in mu head again before the final book is out.
I’m back
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith

Postby jabberjaw » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:04 pm

i love love that book
Xwikki wrote:Crescendo - Becca Fitzpatrick

jabberjaw
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Postby Empty. » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:20 pm

the best book I've ever read has got to be Celeste by Virginia Andrews.

its a book that lingered with me for many years, making me read it again and again, even though it made me sick with fear, so much so at one point, I couldn't sleep or be at home alone.

You can hide behind what you wish you were...
but nothing is greater than what you are.
Empty.
Sleeping Cherry Blossom
Sleeping Cherry Blossom

Postby KatieAbrams » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:49 am

NEW BOOK!
PAINTED OVER WHITE - A RECURRING DREAM.
available at AuthorHouse.com (ebook and soft-cover; free peak inside)
http://paintedoverwhite.wordpress.com/

This non-fiction small book describes my 34-year experience with a recurring dream. When I was five years old, the first time the dreamed occurred, there were no clues throughout the years that God would use an innocuous yet frightening dream to stop me from committing a murder at age 39.

This is not a love story, but it is a story about love. My goal in publishing the story is two-fold: encourage people with paranormal experiences or gifts to look to the Lord for truth and confirmation, and encourage everyone to seek God for justice, comfort and restoration when humanity has failed.

It has been over 13 years now since the dream was revealed, and I still rejoice in the experience. I haven’t had the dream again, so I know for certain that it was not a fluke and was in fact a glimpse into a certain event in my life, my destiny. Even though it was horrible while it lasted, it has turned out to be a blessing of the highest order. I insist that my experience is unique, but I refuse to believe that I am the only one. I want to start an open-minded dialogue on the subject.

I hope you will take time to read this story and that it will bless and encourage you. I value your feedback.

http://www.authorhouse.com/Bookstore/Bo ... -000465924
KatieAbrams
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby BaTTler720 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:48 am

*Sigh* Quite The Specific Category Of Book i assume, in the mean time i'll like express my opine in due time.
"Failure isn't Falling down, but refusing to get up..."~(Chinese Proverb.)
BaTTler720
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby SharA2 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:04 pm

Award-winning novelist and cult favorite Graham Joyce transports readers to a mysterious world of isolation and fear with a hypnotically dark story about a young couple trapped by an avalanche in the remote French Pyrenees. . . a daring and powerful novel about love, loss, and rebirth.

In the French Pyrenees, a young married couple is buried under a flash avalanche while skiing. Miraculously, Jake and Zoe dig their way out from under the snow--only to discover the world they knew has been overtaken by an eerie and absolute silence. Their hotel is devoid of another living soul. Cell phones and land lines are cut off. An evacuation as sudden and thorough as this leaves Jake and Zoe to face a terrifying situation alone. They are trapped by the storm, completely isolated, with another catastrophic avalanche threatening to bury them alive . . . again. And as the couple begin to witness unsettling events neither one can ignore, they are forced to con front a frightening truth about the silent land they now inhabit.

Award-winning author Graham Joyce has written a mysterious masterpiece, a tour de force that will thrill fans of Peter Straub and the hit television show Lost.

[4 stars]
And I want to wake up with the rain
Falling on a tin roof
While I'm safe there in your arms
So all I ask is for you
To come away with me in the night
Come away with me
SharA2
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby spiritwolf16 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:52 am

Book: Immortal Beloved
Author: Cate Tiernan

It's kinda hard for me to describe...it's a very good book though... immortal love and issues, mild violence scenes, etc. I would definitely reccommend it...

"Yesterday was History. Tomorrow is a Mystery. But Today is a Gift. That's why it's called Present."
spiritwolf16
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby spiritwolf16 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:57 am

I would also reccommend another book that I am currently reading...

name: Angel
Author: James Patterson

VERY good book... I would reccommend reading it yourself instead of me getting into details of what's happened so far :P

"Yesterday was History. Tomorrow is a Mystery. But Today is a Gift. That's why it's called Present."
spiritwolf16
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Next

Return to Literary Corner