Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Any ideas as to a potential meaning?

Share your dreams with other Dream Moods visitors. Puzzled about the meaning of your dream? Submit it here and see if anybody can help.

Any ideas as to a potential meaning?

Postby Ground Meat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:52 am

I had a dream yesterday morning that was really long and so I will spare the details except for the part that I would like to put potential meaning to.

I was in my old highschool and as is usual for this type of dream it was time to go home after school. I was my current age 34 and I haven't been in that school since I was 19. Anyway, it was time to go and like always I used supernatural powers to escape the school(every time I dream of the school I use various types of 'powers'.. be it extreme strength - going through walls, or extreme speed to fly through the halls to the door I ALWAYS exit by.)

As I am leaving the school property there are two girls walking behind me, they are roughly 11 or 12 years old and shouldn't even be on the high school property. As were walking down the road on the side that doesn't have a sidewalk I can hear them talking but can't make out what they are saying. A short time later I came upon a steel mesh box about 3 feet by 3 feet in size that has been broken, like one side has been ripped off leaving a jagged edge that could potentially hurt someone if they accidentally ran into it. I paused briefly to look at the box which was empty and as the two girls caught up to me, I didn't notice the one girls face, but I did the other and her face was crystal clear which is kind of unusual for most dreams and I swear I recognized her but couldn't put a name to her face. As they passed me one on either side, the girl whose face I seen passing on my left side, gently touched my arm with her left hand, spinning around slowly to give me a good look at her face.

I forgot about the box and started walking with the girls. When I questioned the girl about touching my arm at first she denied it but I insisted I knew she did and eventually she admitted she did, but refused to tell me why. At this point there was a time jump.. we were in a totally different place that I have been in in dreams before. The girls went off one way and I went another. This takes us to another part of the dream which I may seek interpretation to at a later time.

What I am interested in is.. Why did I recognize her face so well and why did she touch my arm so gently.. it was like she was just trying to get my attention, to take it away from that box but there could have been more to it.. I don't know. :?

The only girl that I can think of that comes close to the way the girl in my dream looked is a girl that went to my school when I was 9 that I REALLY liked.. and her family was rather strange.. she wasn't allowed to have friends over and she wasn't allowed out after school. I never had a chance to say goodbye to her as she seemingly disappeared overnight. And her 'disappearing act' has bothered me since it happened.
Ground Meat

Re: Any ideas as to a potential meaning?

Postby evildrspock » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:31 am

hmm. Fleeting dreams about members of the opposite sex have a way of haunting you.

I suppose it's possible that even though you saw her face, it was crystal clear, and you knew you recognized the face, that the face doesn't actually belong to anyone in particular (like, an actual person's face). I'm sure that your mind could invent or composite a face and simply label it as familiar, like, cross referencing memories together - I've experienced that when I've been In places or doing things in dreams that I was completely familiar with, and yet in waking life new I had never been there before.

In both scenarios (yours and my hypothetical idea) there also stands the possibility of a past life coming into play, if you believe in such a thing. I'm sure if they exist that it would make sense to be reconnected with some old memories that make past people and places familiar, that in waking life make no sense.

Although, it would seem because of the other details of familiarity, such as the reoccurring location of your school, the using of super powers -these details seem to suggest to me a present life relevance, as you've done this before.

I would be curious as to the details of your other dreams about the school and super powers for context, as well as if you had dreamt of a similar scenario of a familiar person or girl like this before. Of course, such details are things that only you can use and relate together for contextual meanings. I am also curious if the box ever played a bigger role, other than that of something dangerous, a distraction, scary. It sounded to me as you were telling that there was going to be some sort of inevitable connect between the girls and the box, like, they wouldn't see it and were going to get hurt, but you couldn't tell them/help them with your super powers for some reason . . . perhaps because you were flying . . .

I am also curious if the box held anything, although it seems it's contents are irrelevant.

The girl . . . could be a stranger, an old friend, a future friend/person you'll meet, even someone you already know indisguise, who is caring or concerned for you, but doesn't want you to know who they are (thus familiarity behind an unplaceable face). Perhaps you think of who this person is, this dream figure who wants to comfort/protect you, in waking life as being childish. Although the gesture is enigmatic, your thought about it being to take your mind away from the box almost suggests a motherly protection or caring. She could be your mother when she was young, or any number of people you know now when they were younger.
evildrspock

Postby Ground Meat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:23 am

evildrspock wrote:hmm. Fleeting dreams about members of the opposite sex have a way of haunting you.
heh... no kidding :)
evildrspock wrote:I suppose it's possible that even though you saw her face, it was crystal clear, and you knew you recognized the face, that the face doesn't actually belong to anyone in particular (like, an actual person's face). I'm sure that your mind could invent or composite a face and simply label it as familiar, like, cross referencing memories together - I've experienced that when I've been In places or doing things in dreams that I was completely familiar with, and yet in waking life new I had never been there before.
This is potentially true, but how many faces in dreams do you actually see and can make out? I find it REALLY rare to see a detailed face.
evildrspock wrote:In both scenarios (yours and my hypothetical idea) there also stands the possibility of a past life coming into play, if you believe in such a thing. I'm sure if they exist that it would make sense to be reconnected with some old memories that make past people and places familiar, that in waking life make no sense.
I do believe in such and it is entirely possible, the sub-conscious can do what it likes with time frames and mixing old and new.
evildrspock wrote:I would be curious as to the details of your other dreams about the school and super powers for context, as well as if you had dreamt of a similar scenario of a familiar person or girl like this before.
Other dreams involving the school include violent endings, like me being shot in the head from behind with a shotgun but being immune due to these 'super powers', entire context of that one not recalled, just the ending. 99% of the time though it just involves me trying to escape the school by any means possible and always through the same exit which is the furthest one from where the dreams always start, in a hallway on the second floor in the southeast corner of the school and the exit is on the northwest side. As for the super powers.. never flight, but always strength for just bulldozing my way through walls to get to the exit or speed to go through the hallways at a very high pace.

In the speed type I am generally down on all fours with my hands acting as claws embedding themselves into the ground for increased grip to add to the forward thrust. Normally once I am outside and off the property I don't feel the need to use the super powers, but on occasion I do use the speed method and rarely I do make flight attempts which are more just really high jumps with a brief period of floating in the direction of momentum.

As for the girl/person.. she's never played a role in any of the dreams before, I have no context from dream history with which to place her.
evildrspock wrote:I am also curious if the box ever played a bigger role, other than that of something dangerous, a distraction, scary. It sounded to me as you were telling that there was going to be some sort of inevitable connect between the girls and the box, like, they wouldn't see it and were going to get hurt, but you couldn't tell them/help them with your super powers for some reason . . . perhaps because you were flying . . .

I am also curious if the box held anything, although it seems it's contents are irrelevant.
This is the first time I had ever seen that box and it was empty as far as I could tell but the time between me stopping and the girl touching my arm was so short I never really had a chance to investigate it. Her touch pulled me away from the box and I was no longer concerned with it. We were definitely walking and I know the girls weren't in any danger from the box it was more something of curiosity to me and the girl pulled my attention from it. I can tell you the box was a greenish yellow.. more green than yellow and it was made of flat steel bars that were about an inch wide laid into a mesh pattern. Don't know how a side could have been ripped off of it, but it was.
evildrspock wrote:The girl . . . could be a stranger, an old friend, a future friend/person you'll meet, even someone you already know in disguise, who is caring or concerned for you, but doesn't want you to know who they are (thus familiarity behind an unplaceable face). Perhaps you think of who this person is, this dream figure who wants to comfort/protect you, in waking life as being childish. Although the gesture is enigmatic, your thought about it being to take your mind away from the box almost suggests a motherly protection or caring. She could be your mother when she was young, or any number of people you know now when they were younger.
That does make sense since the time between my interest in the box and her touching my arm was very brief.. maybe she was trying to distract me from further investigation of the box and potential harm from the sharp edges... :D
Ground Meat

Postby missellie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:23 am

There is one scenario that comes to mind in your dream, have you felt caged/trapped for a period of time and you are finally finding that things are going your way for a change.
The box usually relates to feeling caged in and restricted but it was broken which means to me a release of tension and final completion of an issue/problem in your life at that time, I would say that the box had originally been a cage for you. The jagged edges symbolise that it wasn't easy to escape, you had/are having ti fight to get yourself out of the situation/issue. The girl within the dream is a reminder of her life when you knew her which to me was very restricted with no freedom. Her life mirrored how you saw her life in the past with your life at that present time.Remember to dream of people we know relates to aspects of them or us we feel that we have or do not have in our waking lives.
As an afterthought to think of your old school could mean that you are looking at the past and what subconciously you feel you should have done at school, like missed oportunities in learning. The bad dreams about school can relate to your present situation of feeling that you have not attained or fearthat you will not get the qualifications you need or that your career path is giving you concerns for the future. Hope this helps Ellie XXX
missellie
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby Ground Meat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:39 am

missellie wrote:There is one scenario that comes to mind in your dream, have you felt caged/trapped for a period of time and you are finally finding that things are going your way for a change.The box usually relates to feeling caged in and restricted but it was broken which means to me a release of tension and final completion of an issue/problem in your life at that time, I would say that the box had originally been a cage for you. The jagged edges symbolise that it wasn't easy to escape, you had/are having ti fight to get yourself out of the situation/issue.

I always have and still do feel trapped.. by life, like I know there is more out there that I could achieve, but have no desire to go after it. Hmm, if it relates to a specific change I made recently... then I undid it just a couple hours ago.. :( Which would make sense as it was a freedom from something I had been trying to escape for two years and finally achieved it.. only to undo that change. Guess I need to contemplate redoing that change.
missellie wrote:The girl within the dream is a reminder of her life when you knew her which to me was very restricted with no freedom. Her life mirrored how you saw her life in the past with your life at that present time.Remember to dream of people we know relates to aspects of them or us we feel that we have or do not have in our waking lives.

I don't know what to make of this part, limited, restricted.. very much like my life, I go nowhere, I do nothing but sit here on the internet, I have no friends outside the few online friends and I have no job/career. I am VERY trapped.. limited in my life.
missellie wrote:As an afterthought to think of your old school could mean that you are looking at the past and what subconciously you feel you should have done at school, like missed oportunities in learning. The bad dreams about school can relate to your present situation of feeling that you have not attained or fear that you will not get the qualifications you need or that your career path is giving you concerns for the future. Hope this helps Ellie XXX

That kind of doesn't fit though, while yes I should have done more while I was in school, I am ALWAYS trying to escape it. It never starts in a class room, always starts in the same hallway and always in the same part of that hall. The halls are generally what you would expect to find in a high school that the end of day bell has just gone off. Sometimes friends are there and sometimes it's just faceless people. When it's friends, I recognize and acknowledge their existance but never stop and talk to them and I don't always take the same route to the exit I always use as there are many possible halls and stairs I can take to get there. As you said the school is more an afterthought though because it's a common occurrence in my dreams, usually it's what comes after I escape that I worry about.
Ground Meat

Postby Ground Meat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:06 am

How about the second half of it..
After the box and questioning the girl about why she touched my arm and her finally admitting to doing it and refusing to tell me why.. the scene changed to an area that I have been in on a couple of occasions in dreams. The area is a hilly area that is lightly forested with only a single 4 lane road leading up into a VERY small area with lots of houses. The houses all have small yards and there are no roads, just walkways between the yards and leading up to the houses, some are concrete, some asphalt and some are just dirt.

At scene change the girls were still with me and we were walking on one the paths between some yards and they went off one way without saying anything and I didn't follow I just went my own way. I turned onto a dirt path leading up to a house that I have been in before but nobody knew I was in.. it was inhabited but nobody ever seen me in it.

As I entered the door that led to the entryway, in front of me was a little girl about 5 years old that I had never seen before holding a little dog with long white hair.. like a dog people refer to as a dust mop and she was looking out the window opposite the door I came in, into back yard. I didn't approach but I could see through the window and could see there were people out there and they appeared to be partying. To my left was the door into the house and to my right the door to the backyard. The little girl ignored me and turned her left, set the dog down and then turned around and went out the door to the backyard. As I approached the door and looked out the window into the backyard I seen the little girl naked except for a pair of leather chaps..
for those that don't know what they are.. and they had a very intricate detailed what I can only describe as a tribal pattern on them. I got an eerie feeling, from what, I don't know so I backed away from the door and no sooner I did that and a woman came out of the door leading into the house.

I looked at the woman and said "I think I took a wrong turn somewhere" and she calmly replied with "I think you did too" and went out the door into the back yard.. she wasn't bothered by my presence but I didn't feel like staying around so I went back out the door to the path I came in on and it had changed.. there was no longer a house on the opposite side of the path between yards and the front yard had turned from grass to water with little tiny plastic dolls floating in a semi-tightly packed pattern.. the dolls were were all the same except for colour which ranged from yellow to a moldy green colour and they didn't have arms or legs. basically just a round plastic dowel with a boys head on top. I took a close look at one of them and it was the head of a boy from a movie I had recently watched. At this point I woke up.

Anyone care to try and take a guess at that?
Ground Meat

Postby missellie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:22 am

[/quote]I always have and still do feel trapped.. by life, like I know there is more out there that I could achieve, but have no desire to go after it. Hmm, if it relates to a specific change I made recently... then I undid it just a couple hours ago.. :( Which would make sense as it was a freedom from something I had been trying to escape for two years and finally achieved it.. only to undo that change. Guess I need to contemplate redoing that change.

It seems that a part of your problem is having a belief in yourself and having the confidence to make decisions in your life

I don't know what to make of this part, limited, restricted.. very much like my life, I go nowhere, I do nothing but sit here on the internet, I have no friends outside the few online friends and I have no job/career. I am VERY trapped.. limited in my life.

You have just told me what your dream is telling you aubconciously you are not happy with your life at it is at the present and want to escape from the cage/box which is holding you prisoner. You see your life as the girls was at school, her putting her hand on your arm is drawing you to know that your lives are exactly the same even if they are years apart. You say you managed to break out of one situation in your life which you had been fighting for 2 years, but why did you go back on it again
Ground Meat?

That kind of doesn't fit though, while yes I should have done more while I was in school, I am ALWAYS trying to escape it. It never starts in a class room, always starts in the same hallway and always in the same part of that hall. The halls are generally what you would expect to find in a high school that the end of day bell has just gone off. Sometimes friends are there and sometimes it's just faceless people. When it's friends, I recognize and acknowledge their existance but never stop and talk to them and I don't always take the same route to the exit I always use as there are many possible halls and stairs I can take to get there. As you said the school is more an afterthought though because it's a common occurrence in my dreams, usually it's what comes after I escape that I worry about.

The hallway leads you to several options in your dream but you cannot make a choice because you are caged/boxed you cannot break out of it. You fear what will happen if you do break out of that protective box you have built around you, which keeps you safe, the fear of change is what keeps you trapped. The difference is that the girls restrictions in her life was due to her parents not her choice and she had no control over it, what is the relationship/situation/issue which is stopping you from escaping your cage in your waking life?
Even your use of super powers within your dreams is a way of escape but is not realistic in your waking life, if you listen to your dreams you will see that a lot of your problems stemmed from your childhood and continued into your adult life. What happened back then Ground Meat that has left you with no confidence and low self esteem of what you could achieve in your life.
I do feel you have to look at the past to find your answer to your continued problem, I carried burdens also from my childhood into my adult life and evntually like yours my dreams told me that I had to do something about it. I faced those ghosts of the past and went to a hypnotherapist/pschotherapist and I have finally begun to live my life my way, without all the baggage of my childhood to haunt me. Ellie XXX
missellie
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby missellie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:36 am

I am not vey good as yet concerning how to quote as you can see in my last post!!!! I will try again
The follow on from the dream I will concentrate on the main areas of what it is telling you Ground Meat.

The hills and forest are to do with your future path and the goals you set to get you through your different phases in life, but you bypassed those because you are not ready as yet to go forward.
Roads relate to you journey in life again and how you get there you are walking which tells me that you need to take it slow think about your options and the way you want your future to pan out. The different surfaces of the roads also shows how you progress whether it is a smooth journey or a laboured one, you are only just setting out on yours which is why you took the dirt road.
Spitting up from the girls and taking your own path is your choice, but I do wonder if you would find what you want by following another path if someone was to lead you there. I still feel that there are issues within your life which have led you to being on your own, rather than in a crowd.

Houses always relate to you yourself/psyche your innermost thoughts and who you actualy are at the present time. By entering the house you entered your own mind to see what is in it. The little girl is your childlike qualities for protection, love and comfort or lack of them in some cases. The little dog also relates to companionship, loyalty and love or can also mean
" A dogs life"
Now looking out of the window is looking to the future and seeing what could be ahead of you, you saw people partying and enjoying life, this is very much what you want in your life and it could be if you could try and take it, but because you did not go out the door to join them shows you are not ready yet to take that step.

Both your dreams here are telling me you are in the early stages of changing your thoughts and oulook on what you want to do in life and which way you should go to get there. Subconciously you are not happy with the way you are at the moment and are realising that there is much more to life out there than you have seen, It is getting the confidence and knowing how to change which is keeping you back from going forward.

Your way may be to get others to help you rather than trying to plunder through it on your own, you have made a move to change an element once, even though it did not last for long but it is getting the confidence in yourself that you are not happy and want to change it will see you through this. Ellie XXX
missellie
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby Ground Meat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:50 am

It's ok, quoting text is one of the things I am good at with message boards, I don't expect you to go about quoting things like I do, I can easily pick up on what parts your talking about. You do realize you REALLY hit the nail on the head with this part!
missellie wrote:The hills and forest are to do with your future path and the goals you set to get you through your different phases in life, but you bypassed those because you are not ready as yet to go forward.

This particular area has been part of my dreams for quite some time, the winding road leading up this little village is a 4 lane road that I have seen cars traveling on but never seen any driveways and never any cars once I get to where it dead ends. There is no parking lot it just simply dead ends from a 4 lane road to a 3 foot wide(guessing) sidewalk.
missellie wrote:Roads relate to your journey in life again and how you get there. You are walking which tells me that you need to take it slow think about your options and the way you want your future to pan out.

This is true, I never jump into situations which I do know has caused me to miss out on a lot of opportunities, but I prefer safe and secure as opposed to risky.
missellie wrote:The different surfaces of the roads also shows how you progress whether it is a smooth journey or a laboured one, you are only just setting out on yours which is why you took the dirt road.
Splitting up from the girls and taking your own path is your choice, but I do wonder if you would find what you want by following another path if someone was to lead you there. I still feel that there are issues within your life which have led you to being on your own, rather than in a crowd.

There are many issues.. generally trust related or misinterpretation of my actions. By that I mean, I always speak in a controlled monotone voice, never raise or lower tone or pitch and therefore making it impossible for people to interpret my mood.. whether happy or angry because I never show emotion and that's why I have no friends, they can't stand not understanding ME. My online friends remain because there is no way to judge by voice or expression.

To give some history to my current situation, I live with my 92 year old grandmother and take care of her. I have done nothing with my life since getting out of highschool except look after her. When the time comes for her to pass, what do I do with myself.. I have no friends, my family all hates one another, I have nowhere to go. I am at a complete loss. I try making changes which I feel are right for me and for one reason or another they get undone. I am the point in my life that I have to do something for myself and if I don't, I am totally screwed...
missellie wrote:Houses always relate to you yourself/psyche your innermost thoughts and who you actualy are at the present time. By entering the house you entered your own mind to see what is in it. The little girl is your childlike qualities for protection, love and comfort or lack of them in some cases. The little dog also relates to companionship, loyalty and love or can also mean
" A dogs life"

Given the fact that both the girl and the dog ignored me, I would take that as a lack of. And it is true, I have nobody that I can turn to for any reason and I don't like myself as I currently am and need to change myself.
missellie wrote:Now looking out of the window is looking to the future and seeing what could be ahead of you, you saw people partying and enjoying life, this is very much what you want in your life and it could be if you could try and take it, but because you did not go out the door to join them shows you are not ready yet to take that step.

I have explained why that is previously with regards to looking after my grandmother.
missellie wrote:Both your dreams here are telling me you are in the early stages of changing your thoughts and oulook on what you want to do in life and which way you should go to get there. Subconciously you are not happy with the way you are at the moment and are realising that there is much more to life out there than you have seen, It is getting the confidence and knowing how to change which is keeping you back from going forward.
Your way may be to get others to help you rather than trying to plunder through it on your own, you have made a move to change an element once, even though it did not last for long but it is getting the confidence in yourself that you are not happy and want to change it will see you through this. Ellie XXX

I do realize I need to make changes, your suggestion about having someone lead me down a specific path doesn't work for me, I don't like relying on people for anything if I don't have to. I do know at some point I am likely not going to have any choice but to follow someones lead. And when that time comes I will have to do what has to be done.

Thank you.. Michael
Ground Meat

Postby missellie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Thank you for your reply Michael and what you have explained shows so much of why you feel trapped which is what you are, how come you as a young man was left to care for your grandmother, that was a big responsibility and one that should not have been left for you to shoulder on your own. You have a kind heart Michael and have given up your life to look after her, but as you say what will happen to you once she goes.
Where do you live Michael is there no community services that can help you lighten the load so at least you can do something for you yourself. Your dreams will intensify because of the age of your grandmother and suddenly the realisation of what the future will hold for you is bringing you to look at your future without her.
At least you are becoming aware and thinking logically and sensiably of where you are at the moment Michael and looking at where you are to go from here, you now have to plan for the future for yourself and not wait till she goes and a crisis develops.
You cannot do it on your own which is what I was getting at Michael, you need guidance on how to step on the first rung of the ladder. You do not have to follow anyone what you need is advice on what options are open for you and the only way you can do that is to look to an expert. You have a lot of lost time you are going to make up for and why shouldn't you finally be able to enjoy some freedom and a life of your own. But your life of service to your grandmother has also robbed you of your own identidy, you have no friends Michael because you have no real life of your own as yet and I am sure lack confidence and low self esteem on what you can achieve and how to relate to others.
You are now pondering on your future and know that you have to do something about it, so the best foot forward for you is to find associations that can help you. Pm me and let me know what you have done so far that have not come to fruitation and we can go from there. You do not have to struggle through this on your own you know, between us we will find those that can. Ellie XXX
missellie
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Return to General Dream Discussion