Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Sound/outside phenomenon effecting dreams

Share your dreams with other Dream Moods visitors. Puzzled about the meaning of your dream? Submit it here and see if anybody can help.

Sound/outside phenomenon effecting dreams

Postby evildrspock » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:15 am

I remember a dream I had when I had to have been quite young . . . around the age of 9 or 11 I think (Now being 22), but has always stuck with me, at least these details.

I was in my house's kitchen, and mainly around the refrigerator. I remember either looking inside, or being conciously aware of what was inside of it, like seeing the jars of stuff inside, the various compartments that open, etc. Then, suddenly, I was on a ladder that was up against the fridge, which was positioned in some manner to be free of the walls. I think I was trying to climb on top of the fridge or look up there, or something. The fridge began to teeter back and forth, and it felt unstable, and I was a little scared. There was a moment or two of tension building, then the fridge tipped as though My weight had pushed it over and I would have landed on the ladder, resting on top of the fridge. I could see everything sliding and breaking inside, the doors opening, and then just as it hit -

An extremely loud and scary crashing noise echoed though out my house, and I woke up. I think it was a Saturday morning, and I layed in my bed for what seemed like hours, to terrified to get up for fear that the fridge had actually fallen over (although I was tucked in thoroughly in bed the whole time). My house I was living in at the time was built in such a way so that there were open spaces on between the top of the walls and the ceiling of my room, my brother's room, and the hallway that connected with the rest of the house, so sound carried pretty well.

When I finally got up, I felt better, obvously, when I saw the fridge was still upright and normal. The loud noise was apparently from one of our cats knocking over a lamp in my brother's room, which was right next to mine. How rediculous, I thought.

I am curious as to other's experiences of sound/outside experiences effecting their dreams. I have at least one other I can remember I'll mention later.
evildrspock

Re: Sound/outside phenomenon effecting dreams

Postby Ground Meat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:36 am

I am not going to offer an interpretation to the dream but to the effect of outside sound.

In most cases unless you are a heavy sleeper, external noises would likely wake you. In dreams that need to be played out for some reason or another, external sounds can actually affect what occurs in the dream to a limited extent, it won't ever change the main event in the dream, only provide a kind of side story. By that I mean if your conscious side picks up a sound it can be translated to your sub-conscious, without interruption, which gives you a 'what was that.. hmm.. I guess nothing important' type of effect. It won't ever truly interrupt the dream you are having and take it on a new course, otherwise it would wake you up.

The fact that the cat had a good sense of timing is purely coincidental.
Ground Meat

Postby evildrspock » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:50 am

I guess what I had always thought in response to the dream was the way my dream had worked with the sound, and perhaps something with the way time is different between dreams and reality. Like, if I somehow heard the sound, and my sub-consciousness constructed a dream backwards from the sound. Thus I experienced my dream in a fraction of the time it would have actually taken, ending with my conscious awareness of the noise to end the dream. I would not be surprised if sometimes our mind would work backwards to work some of these details in. Although, I'm sure what you mentioned probably has happened to me before as well.
evildrspock

Postby Ground Meat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:04 am

You are absolutely correct. Time in sub-conscious(dream) state is highly compressed. A perfect example though not exactly the same, is hypnotism. While hypnotized ppl can watch a 2 hour movie in there mind in less than 30 seconds. Though they don't actually watch it, they can recall with perfect detail everything that is happening in that time span. (side note - it's quite amusing to watch this phenomenon, if it's an emotionally charged movie with an emotionally susceptible person, they're facial expressions change in seconds in accordance with the time of the movie being played in their mind - end side note)

So it is entirely possible that the conscious side picked up the sound and in the time it took to translate that sound to your sub-conscious it formulated that dream, which may or may not have a real interpretation in your life as not all dreams do actually have a real world interpretation.
Ground Meat

Postby Simoneisdreaming » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:23 am

I had a dream like this when I was much younger too. I cant remember it all as it was a long time ago, but at the very tail end of the dream I found myself walking down the road I used to walk to get my school bus. I heard a faint ringing and realised I was holding a huge old fashioned alarm clock (the type with two metal bells and a little hammer between them) and it was almost too big for me to get my arms around. The ringing increased and I panicked and struggled to get it to stop ringing and finally woke up to the sound of my real alarm clock ringing.
I didnt think much about it at the time but after hearing a while back that dreams are very condensed and dont take long for you to have them in reality, I wondered how it was possible.
It's an interesting idea that your brain makes up the dream quickly as your hearing the sound, and it fits perfectly for the dream I had as the alarm segment was a very short tail end to the main dream. Very very interesting I think!
Thanks for the solution I've been thinking about this one for a while!
"Hope is a waking dream." - Aristotle
Simoneisdreaming
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby Ground Meat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:47 pm

evildrspock wrote:Like, if I somehow heard the sound, and my sub-consciousness constructed a dream backwards from the sound. Thus I experienced my dream in a fraction of the time it would have actually taken, ending with my conscious awareness of the noise to end the dream.

I should have mentioned this in my previous post.. In most likely circumstances, due to the compressed time of dream state, you were likely dreaming about the fridge for whatever reason as a normal dream, and then the cat attacked the lamp and the time it took the sound to go from your ears to your subconscious dream state would to me, indicate when your dream switched from you looking through the fridge to being on the ladder and subsequently knocking the fridge over with a loud crash.
Ground Meat

Postby endebendel » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:19 pm

External stimuli are irrelevant to the content of a dream. It is your dream. It is you.
You are looking inside.
You are daunted by the task: all the jars - yes, they must each be carefully opened and examined. Are you avoiding to look within?
Then, everything is broken inside you. Do you fear that you are damaged? Are you sick? Not good enough in some important way or for some important someone?
Being on the ladder is unstable. Perhaps you (rightly) question your life goals and objectives.
endebendel
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Return to General Dream Discussion