Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Is waking relevant?

Share your dreams with other Dream Moods visitors. Puzzled about the meaning of your dream? Submit it here and see if anybody can help.

Is waking relevant?

Postby bigdreamer23 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:15 pm

I can't help but to notice that no one really has said anything on this topic. I guess I'm just asking everyone's views on the relevance of how you wake up from your dreams. This sight strongly encourages looking into the details, and that dreams are coded, so you need to look at every little aspect in a different light. So does how/when/where/what you were doing/etc. mean something to a dream? Is it another thing that should be considered when analyzing your dreams?
bigdreamer23
Dream Child
Dream Child

Re: Is waking relevant?

Postby celticdreamer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:48 pm

I wanted to have some general discussion regarding the inability to wake up when you want to. sometimes I actually will start pulling my eyes open and holding them open because I can't get them to open on their own. I find out later i am dreaming during this. weird. have you had this happen
celticdreamer

Postby bigdreamer23 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:19 pm

I've felt the desire to wake up when I couldn't but I didn't go to the same extremes as you did. I'm just wondering if the state you wake up in is meant to be analyzed in the same way as any detail in dreaming.
bigdreamer23
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby Malleynoshow » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:21 am

Bigdreamer23:

The who-what-when-where-why-and-how of "waking up" is very often of absolute importance. Keep in mind, all bets are off if an external stimulus 'wakes us up' - our dog barking, our phone ringing, etc.

If by "state" we wake up in you mean "mood", remember that if a particular dream itself wakes us up, something was happening that our conscious mind probably DOES NOT want to deal with. A TON is happening during the second or two that it takes to wake us up, see? I know this is complicated.
Our conscious and sub-conscious have a very quick, mysterious love/hate relationship. Of course, I am speaking in conscious terms. As I am, my own sub-conscious may be "thinking" something completely different!

Freaky, isn't it!
Malleynoshow

Postby bigdreamer23 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:38 pm

That is kind of freaky, so basically you are saying that if the dream itself wakes you it is relevant, if an external stimulus wakes you it should be disregarded, right?
bigdreamer23
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby ataylor5 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:14 pm

I have gotten "stuck" in a dream...my alarm clock goes off and I don't even hear it. There are times when it is as if the "story line" needs to play itself out before I can wake up. Am I the only one?
ataylor5
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby actmar » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:27 pm

In my experience, yes. As a kid, I was a bed-wetter. I'm not sure when, but at some point, I figured out that when I dreamed of water in the dream, I needed to get up and use the restroom. I learned to tell myself, 'this is a water dream, you need to wake up and get up!" I usually would end up awake and find I really did need to get up and use the restroom. Even as an adult with no accidents, I will be having a 'water dream' and the sequence will follow. Maybe this is a physical need combined with a physio-logical sub-conscious need to not wet the bed. But it woke me up! It has also happened, as an adult, to where my children needed me in their room, and the dream would stop and say 'wake-up go check on your kid'.
actmar

Postby ×sheepie× » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:10 am

I usually wake up when I panic; when I was younger, I leaned that crashing yourself into about anything (extreme, I know) also makes me wake up. I jumped down the stairs once .___. It wasn't very pleasant XD
×sheepie×

Postby Ground Meat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:58 am

I have yet to experience a dream I couldn't wake up from, but I do believe that in some cases there are dreams that do need to play themselves out and therefore you may not hear an external stimulus like an alarm clock or phone ringing. I however have had times where I was having a dream and something did wake me up, I was awake for about 5 minutes and then laid back down and before I knew it the dream resumed right from where I left off.

Back to the original subject of the state which one wakes, if you wake with some form of mood or emotion, be it light or extreme, it should be analyzed along with the dream you were having, because the two are most likely connected. You do have to take into consideration what was happening in the dream to try and determine if the mood you wake in is actually related though.

And.. on the subject of waking when needed, I had a series of dreams a long time ago that involved me being chased by lightning bolts.. I developed a trigger that no matter what's happening in the dream if I ever have a feeling of 'I don't want to be here' it automatically brings me to instant consciousness, fully awake and fully aware of my surroundings, with full recall on the dream so I can understand WHY I am awake, the situation I was in that triggered it.

In one of the dreams of my being chased by lightning and I do mean chased.. a single bolt chasing me while I ran, I was actually struck by it which woke me up, and my entire nervous system was fried for two days, I couldn't concentrate on anything for more than a few seconds. Nervous, jumpy, unable to stay still. Therefore I do believe the state which you wake in is generally directly related to the dream you were having prior to waking. This (being struck by lightning) being an extreme case, but even a brief 3 second feeling at the moment of waking, happiness or anger or whichever, is relative.
Ground Meat

Postby endebendel » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:56 pm

Yes, if you are narcoleptic. Otherwise, no.
endebendel
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Return to General Dream Discussion