Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Can't open eyes in dream?

Share your dreams with other Dream Moods visitors. Puzzled about the meaning of your dream? Submit it here and see if anybody can help.

Can't open eyes in dream?

Postby Rose » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:41 pm

I've not had one of these for quite a while, but quite often, in my dream, I can't open my eyes.

Most of the time I'm in a really beautiful place (somehow I know what it looks like, even though my eyes are closed) with pretty colours and flowers and friends and family around me and something I'm meant to be watching, but I just cannot open my eyes, no matter how hard I try.
In my dream I never tell anyone because I'm almost embarrassed about it, so I just struggle around trying not to knock into things. Usually I manage to open my eyes a tiny bit, just for a second or two, using all my strength, but then they just tightly close again.
I get the feeling that I'm trying to open my eyes in my sleep, and that's why it's taking so much effort and I can't open them in my dreams.

Can anybody shed any light on this and explain what might be happening here?
Rose
Part Time Dreamer
Part Time Dreamer

Re: Can't open eyes in dream?

Postby ElizVanZee » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:53 pm

Trying to open ones eyes would imply trying to become more aware of something, trying to understand, or trying to believe something. We have an expression, “seeing is believing”. If you cannot see it, you cannot believe it or in it..

The beautiful place with pretty colours would suggest a kind of situation that is good and has emotional appeal – yet you are unable to see or believe it. [Are you one of these people who often feels a situation is too good to be true and that by enjoying it you may be jinxing it?] There being something you are meant to be watching can suggest something to watch out for or be on the lookout for (as when you might think a situation cannot last because it is too good?)

Being unable to see or believe in such a situation could be an embarrassment. As the scene illustrates, by not opening your eyes and believing the goodness or reality of a pleasing situation, you are really then in danger of jinxing it by knocking into things and destroying the beauty or goodness of pleasing situation. (trying not to knock into things)

In situations where you find yourself unable to see and believe you appear to be using an aspect of yourself that reflects your basic or core psychological makeup (family members) and aspects which you might regard as working in your favour. (friends).

The impression of trying to open your eyes in your sleep can be suggesting that when you are in a situation or a position in which to rest with perfect peace of mind, rest completely at ease, it is then that you may feel you need to be more aware – need to see and understand more. [One should be able to rest very at ease in a beautiful, pleasing situation but you apparently are not able to do this.]
ElizVanZee
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby Rose » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:45 pm

Wow, you're good.
Thankyou very much for your reply, it was very interesting and insightful.
Rose
Part Time Dreamer
Part Time Dreamer

Postby sac3y336 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:57 am

i have had a dream like this! it was recurring but i had some spirit holding me down to, i didnt see any nice landscape. in my dream something was holding me down and i am trying to open my eyes to stop it and i can not, then he would throw me somewher and i would wake up.
sac3y336

Return to General Dream Discussion