Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Deer, Lions and a Dog

Share your dreams with other Dream Moods visitors. Puzzled about the meaning of your dream? Submit it here and see if anybody can help.

Deer, Lions and a Dog

Postby raymond1234 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:41 pm

8 December 2018 Saturday

Last night I dreamed that I was driving down a country road with woods on either side. I saw a deer on the side of the road, and I thought that it must be nice to see deer in the area where you live all the time. Then, I saw a second deer.

I think the car I was driving came to a halt, but I don’t recall. But, after I saw the deer, I saw 3-4 lions on the left side of the road and suddenly, a black sheep dog came from the far left and walked between the lions.

The dog was walking with a graceful manner, his mouth was open, and his tongue was extended a bit. He looked like he had a smile on his face. He continued to walk between the lions and just as he began to pass through them and reach the other side of the road, the lions began to attack him. One of the lions bit him behind the neck and threw him several feet into the air. I could see the pained, scared look on the dog’s face. As the dog feel and returned to the ground, I saw 2,3 lions descend on him and begin to attack him.

I felt sorry for the dog, but I recall saying something about Nature and then I woke up.
raymond1234
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Re: Deer, Lions and a Dog

Postby raymond1234 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:42 pm

I have a lot of dreams where I am driving through
the country, with woods on either side of the road,
but I have not determined the connection yet.

The deer were unusual but not as much as the lions
appearing. We don't have lions in the U.S.

I can understand why the lions attacked the dog,
it's what they do. It's a part of nature. But what
did the deer mean when they showed up in the road ?

And why did the dog walk between the lion? I think
the dog means something....he was a sheep dog, a
black one. Like a black sheep. Something that is
out of sync with the others or someone that is happy
doing their own thing, like the dog with the smile
on his face.

Anyhow, I have a few ideas; but I can't tie them
together.
raymond1234
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Ghuntington » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi,
It's been my own experience that when animals, insects, birds, fish et al show up in my dreams that they are totems. To understand them, one of the first places I refer to is "Animal Speak" by Ted Andrews. Here is something for you to contemplate:
DOGS

KEYNOTE: Faithfulness and protection

CYCLE OF POWER: Year-round

Dogs are domesticated canines. Their descendants are coyotes and wolves, and thus they should be studied as well. Dogs are companions to humans, providing faithful protection. Every dog and every breed has its own unique qualities. Many breeds were designed for specific purposes and functions. Studying the history of your breed will help you define the kind of energy specific to this totem.

Different dogs will mean different things. Herding dogs were for protection and to assist in the labors of herding domesticated farm animals. Some dogs were raised specifically for sporting activities-hunting and retrieving. Thus they may have qualities unique to them-a love of water, a need to run, etc. Some dogs are mixed, embodying qualities from a variety of breeds, reminding us that we each are unique.

Examine the qualities of your breed and the individual dog. It will reveal much about the energy associated with it. Examine the individual personality. How does it behave most of the time? What does this say about you? Earlier in the book, I gave an example of how my four dogs are unique, and how I use their behavior as messages for my self. If my dog Cheyenne, who is usually standoffish and a loner, becomes very friendly and pesters me to play, it usually indicates I need to take some time off and socialize and play a little. Our animals can tell us so much.

Most Native American tribes had dogs for protection and warnings, but dogs have held symbolic importance in other societies as well. In India the dog is a symbol of all caste systems, reflecting the small becoming great. In early Christianity it was a symbol of guardianship (as in the Sheepdog), and it was even an allegory for the priest. In Greece it was a companion to and guardian of the place of the dead. It has also been a symbol of motherhood because dogs are very caring and nurturing parents.

It takes a lot to break a dog’s spirit. It’s ability to love, even when abused, is tremendous. It’s spirit and willingness to love and to be a companion is great.

Study your dog. This will tell you more than what can be elaborated on here. If dog has come into your life as a totem, ask yourself some questions? What is this saying about your need for or lack of companionship? Are you being faithful? Are others around you? Are you showing unconditional love, or receiving it? Do you need to be more protective of your territory? Do you need to play a little more? Are you being faithful to yourself? Does your spirit need bolstering? How about those around you? Examine your territories. Dog knows its home ground, and if it has shown up, its energies and lessons will touch you personally.

The dog is a powerful totem, reflecting faithfulness and companionship. Many times it is easier for individuals to begin working with totems that are domesticated rather than the wild.

Lion

Keynote: Assertion of the Feminine and the Power of the Female Sun
Cycle of Power: Year-round

The lion is the second largest member of the cat family. The traits of cats should be studied in general, for the lion embodies many of them. It makes its home on the savannas of Africa, and those with this totem would do well to study the significance of the savannas. The lion's main prey is the antelope and this should be studied as well.

The lion has been symbolic of a variety of energies throughout the years. It is a symbol of the sun and of gold. It was a symbol for the sun-god Mithra. The Egyptians believed that the lion presided over the annual floods of the Nile. Early Christians believed it to be the earthly opponent of the eagle. The medieval alchemists associated it with the fixed element of sulphur, and a young lion was often the symbol of the rising sun and all that is implied by it.

The lion is unusual among members of the cat family in that it will live in groups called prides. If a lion has shown up as a totem, you can expect lessons and issues dealing with community and groups to surface. There may be a need to examine your own role in the group.

Within the pride, the females are the best hunters. although most lions are clumsy hunters by themselves, they have developed an excellent cooperative hunting technique. The females, though, do most of the hunting and the rearing of the cubs. The lion cubs lead a relatively care-free existence. Their parents are patient and affectionate with the cubs, and most individuals with lions as totems will find those same qualities developing within themselves.

The males are most noticeable with their large manes. They do very little work. They can be passionate and excessively jealous of the lionesses. They protect the pride against predators. When hunting they use their roar to scare prey toward the waiting lioness. If a male lion has shown up as your totem, you may need to examine your usefulness within some group or community in your life. do you need to do more than you are? Do you need to be more protective? Do you need to cooperate more?

The lion does not fight for the sake of fighting. It avoids confrontations, and will leave the scent of danger if possible. This is a tactic to keep in mind if the lion is your totem. Lions also hunt primarily by stealth, and the most common method of killing is by strangulation. This technique is something for those with this totem to practice developing when pursuing new endeavors and objectives in any area of life. Be stealthy for the greatest success.

The idea of the young lion being associated with the rising sun is most significant. Since females of the pride do most of the work, it actually reflects the idea of the rising of the feminine energies. The sun has not always been a masculine symbol. It does give birth to new days, and it nurtures and warms life. Thus it is not stretching the correlation to see the lion as the assertion of feminine energies to bring forth birth and new power.

When a lion has shown up, there will be opportunity to awaken to a new sun. Trust your feminine energies--creativity, intuition and imagination. These will add new sunshine to your life. Don't be afraid to roar if you feel threatened or intruded upon.

DEER
KEYNOTE: Gentleness and Innocence-Gentle
Luring to New Adventure
CYCLE OF POWER: Autumn and Spring

Deer have always captured the imagination of humanity. It is one of the most successful
families of mammals, native to every continent except Australia. They have been able to adapt to every sort of habitat. The white-tailed deer, the mule deer and the caribou are three that are prominent on this continent. The moose and wapiti (elk) are also part of the deer family, but they are treated separately in this work.

Each type of deer has its own special qualities and characteristics, while sharing some of the qualities of all deer in generaL Caribou, for example, make long migrations twice a year, reflecting a need for those who have it as a totem to use that same pattern in their life. They begin rutting in fall and early winter, and these then are the power times. The mule deer is also a wanderer. It never follows the same path twice.

This is part of its natural defense, making it less predictable to predators. Most of the information in this section will focus on deer in general, and the white-tailed specifically.

The name “deer” has several variations on its origin. These may provide clues to past lives for those with this totem. The Anglo Saxon word “dear” was a general word for animals and was often used just in the general sense. In the German language, it has its root in “tier,” simply meaning wild animal also. It can also be traced to the Sanskrit “mriga,” also meaning wild animal.

To many the deer is considered the most important animal ever hunted. The hunt of the deer is what transfers our civilization to the wilderness. There are many stories and myths of deer luring hunters or even kings deep into the woods until they are lost and begin to encounter new adventures. One such example is found in the tales of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. Sir Gawain follows a white hart to many adventurous encountersfi; A reading of Sir Thomas Malory’s Le Marte D’Arthur will also provide more examples.

The deer is also a central religious image for Buddhism. Buddha is often pictured with a deer, and legend tells how he first preached in a deer park. This image itself reasserts the meaning of the deer as representing innocence and a return to the wilderness.

The white-tailed deer is the most common in the United States. One of its most outstanding features is the set of antlers that the male develops. In other members of the deer family, i.e., reindeer and caribou, both the male and females grow them. The antlers are solid bone, and they are shed every year. Antlers grow behind the eyes and are very protective.

Each year until the age of five, the antlers grow bigger and with more points. If you encounter a deer in the wild, try to make count of the number of points. This will tell you some of the significance the deer will have for you. Remember that numerology can help define the essence.

Antlers are symbols of antennae, connections to higher forms of attunement. Deer with antlers thus can be a signal to pay attention to your inner thoughts and perceptions, as they are probably more accurate than you think.

The antlers are shed every year, and each year they grow back larger and with more points, for five years. If a deer has entered your life, look for new perceptions and degrees of perceptions to grow and expand for as much as the next five years. It can indicate that there will be opportunities to stimulate gentle new growth increasingly over the next few years.

The antlers grow behind the eyes, again hinting at the symbolism of heightened perception. When the antlers are shed, they are eaten by deer and rodents who gnaw on them to assimilate the calcium.

One to two young are born. Fawns are born a color that protects and hides them. In the first few days, they hardly move, and the mother nurses them often. This is very significant for those with this totem. Many societies taught the importance of staying with the newborn for a prescribed period of time. No visitors, no family members other than the father were allowed contact with the newborn. Even today in the Muslim religion, a mother who breastfeeds for a prescribed time makes that child her own, whether it is her biological child or not. This kind of attention and separateness enables the child to link with the family more strongly and protects the newborn from subtle outside influences.

It has always bothered me to see new mothers with week-old babies walking around busy malls and stores. I understand the desire to get out, but it reveals a lack of understanding of the subtle energy influences of the human body. Our auras or energy fields are electro-magnetic and exchanges of energy do occur with other people and places. The kind of energy a child is exposed to in a mall can have strong effects. No one has ever done any significant studies on this, and it is an area that truly needs to be explored. Until that child’s energy is strong and firmly grounded, it should be protected from extraneous influences.

The deer leads us back to the primal wisdom of those old teachings. It reminds us to establish a strong healthy connection with the child before we expose it to many people and other strange energies. It is a reminder that there is a tradition that is natural and suitable for family units and for the health of the young. It is for the child’s best interest.

After the first few days, the fawn can usually stand and follow its mother about. Doe fawns may stay with the mother for as much as a year. The buck or male will usually leave after a few months. The father takes no part in the rearing of the young; it is all the rule of the mother. Again this can be a reminder for us to move gently back to the traditional family unit and roles. It may indicate, if the deer has shown up in your life, that you have gotten too far away from the role that would be most beneficial for you at this time.
A deer’s senses are very acute. Its vision is designed for clarity at a distance. It is especially effective at detecting contrasts and edges in dim light. Its hearing is equally acute. Anyone who has deer as a totem will find increasing ability to detect subtle movements and appearances. They will begin to hear what may not be said directly.

When deer show up in your life it is time to be gentle with yourself and others. A new innocence and freshness is about to be awakened or born. There is going to be a gentle, enticing lure of new adventures. Ask yourself important questions. Are you trying to force things? Are others? Are you being too critical and uncaring of yourself? When deer show up there is an opportunity to express gentle love that will open new doors to adventure for you.

As you can see, there is lots here for you to ponder.

With kind regards,
Guy
Ghuntington
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby raymond1234 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:46 pm

Wow, thanks for the detail.

I understand the idea of totems.
I just don't understand the way the animals interacted with each other.

I realize dogs are loyal, and this one was quite happy; but he was thrown in the air by the lions and eaten.
The deer were pleasant to see, but I don't recall antlers. I agree that deer are gentle, but I think I am generally that way anyhow. I don't recall them interacting with the dog or the lions. They were just another element in the dream.
The lions represented a key element in the dream. I think it's interesting that your link identified lions in a pride and a small pride of lions were in the dream.
They were not very friendly.

The link said not to be afraid to speak up. Perhaps that is why they killed the dog who was happy, go lucky.

But I still don't know about the deer.

Thanks for your time !
raymond1234
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Ghuntington » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi,
My experience with dreams and totems is that they are rarely about myself on the surface. Typically, they are there to help me dive deep, deep into myself. When totems show up, I realize that it's me who's finally sort of spiritually opening myself up to finally connect with them more consciously. When they do, I usually mediate on them for days, weeks, months or longer. Then, I begin to realize what inside myself I need to examine.

Hope this helps.

With kind regards,
Guy :)
Ghuntington
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby ChrisPeefeArt » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:40 am

I know you are mostly asking about the animals in your dream, but I'm afraid I don't really have insight for you on that. I did, however, notice you mentioned woods being a recurring element in your dreams. I had a similar situation when I was younger and wood was a noticeable recurring element in my dreams. I learned that wood is representative of a stagnant situation that never seems to change. It occurred during points of my life when I felt stuck with certain problems. In your case, I would focus largely on how you felt in the dream and try to connect that feeling to your waking life. I also notice that you seem to identify with the dog? Do you think the dog might represent yourself? Everything was fine for the dog for a while and then he got attacked from behind? Have you felt blind sided or like you have been backstabbed or betrayed recently? In particular, do you feel like everything was finally going well and then you suddenly had a big problem. Both the dog and the deer seem to be symbolic of peace which is why I asked.
Altogether, I would guess that you started to feel like things were going well, but then something happened to mess it up and now you feel stuck again. But that is just a guess. I don't know anything about you and I am no expert on dream symbology.
ChrisPeefeArt
Day Dreamer
Day Dreamer

Return to General Dream Discussion