Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

My Dead Sister

Share your dreams with other Dream Moods visitors. Puzzled about the meaning of your dream? Submit it here and see if anybody can help.

My Dead Sister

Postby RoadMyOwn » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:07 am

My older sister, who was precious to me, died almost two years ago. Her death has been extremely difficult for me to come to terms with. Last night I had a detailed dream; there were many people in it. Both adults and children. The adults were male, and wearing suits, as though dressed formally. They were quite serious in nature. There might have been one woman present who might have been my other sister (she is alive). That was indoors.

Then I saw that there were five children between the ages of about 3 and about 11, mixed genders. I was responsible for taking care of the children. They were good-natured and happy, so taking care of them wasn't strenuous. I saw that I was walking along a dirt road with the children; we were leaving a zoo and going to the place where the adults were.

When we reached the adult place (a kind of wood house, but with only two large rooms), the children went off by themselves. Suddenly I realized that I had a new responsibility, as I saw my dead sister lying peacefully in her casket. Her long, blonde hair was neatly laid out over her shoulders and she was wearing a pretty, bright-pink dress. The dress was of quality fabric, well-made. Her hands were clasped and lying upon her chest. She held small, delicate white flowers in her hands.

My new responsibility, since the children had gone into the corner of the other room and were playing, was to use some herbs from a small jar to keep my sister dead. It was essential that I administered the herbs correctly (perhaps by placing them inside her mouth? I'm not entirely sure). For her to arise from death would have meant that she was a mindless, soulless creature. Not the woman I knew. A zombie, I suppose, although I'm not particularly interested in zombies.

I was very focused when I used the herbs. At one point I saw that my sister was beginning to stir. I knew that I must NOT allow that to happen. I was very frightened - nearly panicked, but remained focused and watched carefully until I was sure the herbs were working to keep her dead. When I felt fairly sure that she would remain dead, I awoke.
To me, this dream was deeply strange and yes, very disturbing. Any ideas?
RoadMyOwn
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: My Dead Sister

Postby Athanor » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:45 pm

Although in order to provide a more accurate interpretation it would usually be best to have some additional general background information about you (and a description of events just before this striking dream), a few ideas can be tried out to see if they might fit your personal situation in some way.

But it’s important to start out by saying that there are generally no fixed interpretations for a given image in a dream and it’s always best to have the spontaneous memories, thoughts and feelings of the dreamer as related to each image and event. Also, it’s important to say that the language of dreams is one based on analogies and metaphors which can often be very complex and therefore can be very hard to understand.

In addition, dreams are the broad equivalent to those processes which keep our physical bodies in an equilibrium. For example, as you know, automatic adjustments are continually made to keep a person’s temperature, blood sugar level, water content and so on at appropriate levels. In an equivalent way, dreams try to maintain an overall psychological balance which will allow for the gradual all-round self-development of the dreamer.

Also, looking at the stories, myths, music and art etc. about a given image as created by people over thousands of years can be very helpful in providing useful parallels which can clarify its meaning in a modern dream.

In your dream, the disturbing image of your late sister coming to life, along with the surrounding panic about this event, shows that the dream is what’s called “archetypal”, meaning that it has come from the deepest layer of your psyche in order that some very important psychological fact in your life should be explored and understood.

The dream appears to show a kind of back and forth movement from the serious and funereal (i.e. being in the wood house), then outside with the children who have just been at the zoo with you, and then back again to the house which contains the upsetting image of your late sister in her casket. This sequence might possibly indicate an ongoing emotional see-saw movement which has been occurring during the last two years since experiencing the very painful death of your older sister.

The suggestion could be that you might tend to be caught up in a powerful longing to return to better days, as it were, when you had the presence and support of your sister, as opposed to consistently cultivating a perhaps healthier movement forward in your overall unique self-development as a person. The images of the happy children and the hint of active natural instincts as connected with the zoo likely symbolize an atmosphere where various potentials (as symbolized by the children) would be able to flourish in contrast to the dreary mood of the funereal wooden house. The dream seems to emphasize that you are indeed “responsible for taking care of the children”. The presence of your dead sister with the unpleasant chance that she may return to life as a zombie clearly gets in the way of fulfilling your responsibility (i.e. the children are left to play on their own).

Symbolically, their well-being could apparently be severely compromised if they were to be traumatized by “experiencing the presence of” a resurrected but zombie-like version of your sister. It’s possible that the dream is trying to show that you might possibly be overly attached, as it were, to how successfully your late sister was perhaps able to interact with others in a way that maybe you yourself are less able to do as well. Her skills in this area would be symbolized by her perfectly dressed and coiffed image in the casket.

In this way of looking at your dream, there could be a need to once and for all administer the “herb of death”, as it were, to your perhaps wanting to unconsciously emulate your sister in various ways as opposed to striking out on your own individual journey towards a more fully “soulful” life. The danger of instead having a “zombie” be present in your life which would disrupt your own path is emphasized in the dream by showing your great fear of your “sister” coming back to life in this very disruptive form. In mythology, herbs can be used for either good or ill, the “Herb of Immortality” being the most coveted one to obtain. So the idea in your dream could be that by administering the “herb of death” to your sister (i.e. to whatever it is that she symbolizes in the dream) would help to ensure that you could at least make a good try at finding your own unique “Herb of Immortality” by developing your overall personality over time.

Anyway as mentioned, without knowing anything much about you, this way of looking at your important dream might not fit your personal circumstances very well, but I hope that these ideas can be helpful in some way.

Please feel free to comment on, or to ask any questions about, this particular way of looking at your dream.
Athanor
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby RoadMyOwn » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:06 am

I am astounded at the accuracy with which you interpreted my "dead sister" dream. The profound quality of your insight feels like we spoke for days about the the specific details of my life that led up to this odd and disturbing dream. 10 sessions with a gifted therapist could not have exposed the meaning of my dream more precisely than you have.

In essence, for the past two years I believe that I have been "trying to keep my sister alive" by unconsciously taking on a number of her personality characteristics. In a very powerful way, I feel that her death caused the death of a part of myself; specifically of certain aspects of my personality. Expressing those aspects of myself that I genuinely and naturally shared with my sister (a gift for intuition, for example, and the ability to effectively communicate our thoughts and feelings) is, I believe, normal, healthy, and natural. On the other hand, I feel that I am compelled to adapt certain personality traits that were my sister's and that are not necessarily organic to my nature.

Thank you so very, very much for your extraordinary interpretation of my dream. What you're posted is extremely valuable to me.
RoadMyOwn
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby Athanor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:59 am

I’m very glad that this interpretation has helped you so much. Since you are an intuitive, you may be interested to learn that the approach to your dream involved the concepts of Carl Jung who was also very intuitive. I’ve found a recent book regarding Jung to be very useful and which you might also enjoy as you move forward after this dream. While there are many sources for Jungian quotes online, “The Quotable Jung” has been thoughtfully arranged by Jungian analyst Judith Harris. You may also like “Jung in Effect: Jung's ideas in the wider world”. Edited by Jungian Analyst Annette Lowe, it shows in a very thorough and interesting way how many of Jung’s ideas and concepts have affected our everyday life in many societies while rarely being attributed to Jung or acknowledged in any meaningful way. Unfortunately, this book is apparently available at this time only through Amazon Kindle.

Best of luck in untangling yourself from a very understandable but unfortunately overly close attachment to your late sister. As your dream appears to say through the presence of the five children of various ages, the result could be a lively and meaningful engagement with your own inner world which could then come to affect others in your own unique way.
Athanor
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby RoadMyOwn » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:41 am

How kind you are. Thank you for your extraordinary insight, for your well-wishes, and thank you so much for your book recommendations. I will definitely look into those two books this very day.

Warmest regards,
RMO
RoadMyOwn
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Return to General Dream Discussion