Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Unfed Pets and Memories of a Fire

Share your dreams with other Dream Moods visitors. Puzzled about the meaning of your dream? Submit it here and see if anybody can help.

Unfed Pets and Memories of a Fire

Postby themantheycalljayne » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:54 pm

I have two recurring dream elements that I'd like some opinions on. The first concerns neglected animals. Let me start by saying I love animals and could never imagine myself intentionally harming one. I've always had a close connection to all animals, especially the household types (cats and dogs).

For the past few years something that pops up in a dream now and then involves me finding a number of small animals in my apartment that I was once feeding but for some reason I forgot about. Mostly they'll be kittens, but at times they have been puppies and even smaller animals like rabbits or hamsters. They are always young animals, never fully grown. I'll either find them dead, almost dead, or a mixture of both. There's always this feeling of "Oh no, I forgot I was supposed to be feeding and caring for them," followed by a sadness of failing to keep them alive and healthy.

Another theme that pops up fairly often is the memory of a house or structure that burned down and killed a number of people that I know. Nothing like this has happened to me in real life. For the sake of simplicity I will refer to it as a house, but sometimes it has been a larger building. The house is almost always in close proximity to the school I went to as a child, usually down the street. Usually in dreams I will find myself in this area, or simply just remember vague details about a fire that happened in my past that claimed the lives of various people that I knew or went to school with. I went to this school for nearly 11 years and it remains a big part of my life, if only in memories.

Thank you to any who have read all of this, if you have any thoughts I'd be glad to answer any questions I can.
themantheycalljayne
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Unfed Pets and Memories of a Fire

Postby DDecker666 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:11 pm

I have a similar relationship with animals in real life and yet a similar recurring dream about neglected ones. In mine, they are always reptiles or fish and I generally "rediscover" them in the basement (which was my bedroom) of my childhood home.
DDecker666
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby DDecker666 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:38 pm

I did some research on neglected animals and it generally symbolizes a part of ourselves that we are neglecting. In your particular case, since they are land mammals, it's something physical you have neglected. Perhaps you aren't getting enough sleep, drinking enough water, eating healthy, exercising or even slacking on hygiene or housework. Another more literal interpretation is a subconscious feeling of needing a child but fearing that you wouldn't be able to properly care for a child (whether it's true or not). This may be more accurate for you since you usually dream of kittens and puppies, rather than cats and dogs. The fact that you feel badly about it, apparently means that you have the power to change and improve the neglected parts of yourself. Hope this helps...
DDecker666
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby themantheycalljayne » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:41 pm

That's very interesting. I can check off almost everything you listed in some way in my life right now. The dreams with the animals exclusively take place in my current residence, so I'm thinking that symbolizes the present state of my life, whereas with yours taking place in your childhood home maybe it's something you've neglected from your past.

Thank you for doing the research, this feels positive thinking about these possible meanings. Any thoughts on the fire thing? That seems to happen less frequently than the animals, but it has been happening longer and usually feels more important.
themantheycalljayne
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Return to General Dream Discussion