Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Birds

Share your dreams with other Dream Moods visitors. Puzzled about the meaning of your dream? Submit it here and see if anybody can help.

Birds

Postby eanniebets » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:47 am

In my dream, Im talking with someone and its night outside. I look to my right, over by the mountains, and through the valley under the moon, lots of tiny lights appear. They fly over in several groups. As they get closer, a bird comes down towards me. Its kind of a grayish black bird, about 6-8 inches high. At first it looks at me, while hovering in front of me. Then, it opens its mouth and points its beak upwards towards the sky. Its beak forms a bell or funnel and is lit up. Its making this beautiful sound. All the tiny lights are the beaks of birds. I stuck my finger out to see if it would land on it, and it tried to grasp my finger and fly away. I pulled away and the bird tried it again. I started laughing and telling the bird he couldn't take me with him. The bird then flew back up to its group and flew away. There were hundreds of beautiful birds flying over head with their little beaks lit up.

Any idea as to what this might mean.
eanniebets
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Birds

Postby sealchan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:02 pm

This dream shares some qualities with another dream recently posted on this forum involving flying manta rays. It also involved a "spectacular" view and a single manta ray that interacted with the person.

I think that this dream captures something of a grand view of your psyche as a natural landscape and it is invoking a sort of response out of that landscape a multiplicity of life and light forms (of a uniform nature). One engages with you and what follows is a conversation partly non-verbal. It could be that you are using language (left brain) on the one hand and more imagery (right brain) on the other. the darkness could simply represent that your awareness is in the context of a dream at night without the light of day of the world as experienced through the sensory neurons.

The linguistic (left brain) conversation you are having with someone becomes an image (right brain) of a landscape and approaching lights. Lights become life forms (birds). One hovers before you and gives you its attention. It opens its mouth and its beak points up becoming a bell or funnel. A bell makes a sound, a funnel is just a shape. The sound it makes is beautiful.

You reciprocate the bird's vocalization and attention with a finger as a perch. It responds by trying to take your finger. The sense I have is that it was communicating to you to follow as if you said, "take my hand" and it was taking your hand to lead you away. Perhaps it knew you understood/appreciated its sound.

So the initial fact that you were talking with someone is being sort of reflected in the rest of the dream which is in the form of a conversation with a bird and a landscape.

Birds in myth are often associated with spirit. But they are also animals and as such they represent a sort of limited strategy for instinctual gratification. What type of instinctual gratification? Birds seem to have command of the air and freedom to maneuver. They have a grand view over all just as you did looking out over the valley and to the mountains. As such they may represent a sense of a higher consciousness and a spiritual understanding. The instinct would be that of wanting to escape danger by "transcending" conflict thereby fulfilling a need to find safety.

The association of that which is spiritual to that which is "higher" may be due to a sort of understanding that we are vulnerable to predators on the ground. It was, perhaps, a brave step for our ancestors who first came down out of the trees. But if we can move up where we can see over obstacles, we can, perhaps, escape those obstacles.

There is, perhaps, in this a note of compassion from the bird toward you for your plight as an earth dweller. We are creatures on the interface of the body-earth and the mind-sky.

Anything happen to you recently to which you might attribute as inspiration for this really delightful and peaceful dream experience?

Any thoughts regarding the birds and their specific color/size? What might that associate to you in your life experience?
sealchan
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby eanniebets » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:17 am

I really don't know what provoked the dream. I have some dreams that make me in awe!! I really don't understand them, I just try to learn about them. I have always had a spiritual connection I guess. It started back when i was a child. I would dream and then it would come true. I dreamed of spirits and angels. For a while I lost it, but lately, its been coming back.
As for the bird dream, Im not sure what happened or provoked it. I really don't know. The bird itself, it was about, 8 inches tall, kinda grayish black. It was night. and It was kinda dark. I remember the bird hovering before me, with its wings expanded, belly facing towards me and just looking at me. It was a beautiful feeling. Then it leaned its head back, opened its beak and formed the bell shape with its beak and lit it up. It was magical. It made a beautiful sound and then went back to looking at me. Im thinking maybe a dove, but not too sure.
Im not sure what the bird is associated to in real life. I have been thinking about that, but no answers. Thats why I came here, in hopes that some one might be able to help me understand.
eanniebets
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby sealchan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:24 pm

eanniebets wrote:I really don't know what provoked the dream. I have some dreams that make me in awe!! I really don't understand them, I just try to learn about them. I have always had a spiritual connection I guess. It started back when i was a child. I would dream and then it would come true. I dreamed of spirits and angels. For a while I lost it, but lately, its been coming back.
As for the bird dream, Im not sure what happened or provoked it. I really don't know. The bird itself, it was about, 8 inches tall, kinda grayish black. It was night. and It was kinda dark. I remember the bird hovering before me, with its wings expanded, belly facing towards me and just looking at me. It was a beautiful feeling. Then it leaned its head back, opened its beak and formed the bell shape with its beak and lit it up. It was magical. It made a beautiful sound and then went back to looking at me. Im thinking maybe a dove, but not too sure.
Im not sure what the bird is associated to in real life. I have been thinking about that, but no answers. Thats why I came here, in hopes that some one might be able to help me understand.

Around my home the trees are full of the song of the American Robin. They are birds about the size of your dream bird and partly a dark brown color. Their song is a hauntingly beautiful one in the lonely dark of the tall firs and cedars. Maybe the color of your birds was simply to match to the darkness as they are birds of your inner light or psychic landscape.

I suspect that birds are, as I said, a representation of our deep need for spiritual perspective. The give us a sense of soaring above our mundane reality and being free from physical constraints.
sealchan
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby eanniebets » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:43 pm

hmmmm?? Maybe?? Maybe they were telling me that I have finally reconnected to my inner-self?
eanniebets
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby sealchan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:41 pm

eanniebets wrote:hmmmm?? Maybe?? Maybe they were telling me that I have finally reconnected to my inner-self?

I think the dream shows that you know how to connect with your inner self, yes, on at least a basic, instinctual (bird) level. Perhaps you recognize spirituality as a virtue and maybe you know that music helps you to transcend your personal fears and concerns. You are sensitive enough to listen and communicate and to make a connection although limited, perhaps, because the bird and you must part ways. But who is to say that you SHOULD follow that bird? Maybe you are just a little wiser and more practical than a kind of bird-like spirituality would entail?

When you say finally it sounds like you have a sense of being on a long effort of attempted spiritual achievement. Perhaps this dream is to assure you that you have achieved something!
sealchan
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby Sheena » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:23 pm

Skylark
Have you anything to say to me?
Won't you tell me where my love can be?
Is there a meadow in the mist
Where someone's waiting to be kissed?
Oh skylark
Have you seen a valley green with spring?
Where my heart can go a journeying
Over the shadows and the rain
To a blossom covered lane
And in your lonely flight
Haven't you heard the music in the night?
Wonderful music
Faint as a will o' the wisp
Crazy as a loon
Sad as a gypsty serenading the moon
Oh skylark
I don't know if you can find these things
But my heart is riding on your wings
So if you see them anywhere
Won't you lead me there
Oh skylark
Won't you lead me there?
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby eanniebets » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:35 pm

@ sealchan, Thank you. perhaps I have acheived something and Im just not fully aware of what? Maybe achieved the spiritual connection that I lost? That is pretty amazing.!!

@ Sheena I wish I knew what you were saying? The poem is beautiful.
eanniebets
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Birds (and Bells)

Postby Superman1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:03 pm

Maybe I can shed another light on it.
Actually, reading some of what sealchan said, the bits about talking, but from my view, is practically what my answer is:..

Talking with someone and its dark outside in the world can set up the scene of what it's about, and the mountain to climb to get high is opposite the low valley that is lit perhaps by being reflective, as the moon is.
Then groups of lights like people appear, getting closer.
And a colorless dark bird, not quite reaching the height of double figures in inches. It looks at you, like people might or you might with them, staying elevated.
Then opening its mouth is like talking, pointing that mouth upward where the mountains and the m☺☺n are.
So it looks like that when you communicate, you light up, so can then join the group or be part of it, or in this way the bird represents, having that light which your bird needs.
The sound of a bell is made by the tongue, like the mouth, and it was beautiful as you saw the lights were others communicating, really. Part of a bell is even called the ear. Listening is half of talking. A bell even has a lip. Not sure if it's got saliva. I'll have to research that.
You want it to land on you or put your finger on it, but a bird is freedom and just wants to fly, high like the moon and mountains.
So for it to land on you, and be in your control, it looks like you have to go to the group or take this to the group, and follow that inner light leading you to their inner lights.
So lately, maybe your desire for a spiritual connection has been coming back, as you lost it.
Bells were used on churches, mainly I guess, which unify people in a higher purpose. Plus bells resonate purely for ages once struck.
So maybe you want to apply this spiritual connection with others, which would be beautiful.
Last edited by Superman1 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Superman1
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Re: Spirits

Postby Superman1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:05 pm

"I remember the bird hovering before me, with its wings expanded, belly facing towards me and just looking at me. It was a beautiful feeling," is like stretching yourself or opening up your freedom, for higher fulfilment, and expressing this side of you.
A dove means peace, which this could potentially give.
Superman1
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby Sheena » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:57 pm

It's a famous song.
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby sealchan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Here are some additional "associations" I've made. These are things that your dream reminds me of. Following one's associations or even those of others can sometimes lead to further insights into a dream...or at least the dreamer's education!

One version of the Raven story...
http://www.magma.ca/~jbremner/blog/mont ... alsSun.htm

Google images of Raven...
https://www.google.com/search?q=raven+c ... 68&bih=610

Baby birds in nest (note upturned mouths)...
https://www.google.com/search?q=raven+c ... baby+birds
sealchan
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby eanniebets » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:50 am

@ sealchan, Very interesting. It all means something good, and inspirational, so thats good with me.
Thank you for your insight and your wisdom. :)
eanniebets
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Return to General Dream Discussion