Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

River Filled with Alligators

Share your dreams with other Dream Moods visitors. Puzzled about the meaning of your dream? Submit it here and see if anybody can help.

River Filled with Alligators

Postby solitarysundown369 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:05 pm

I had a dream last night that I was sitting on a large smooth boulder next to a beautiful smoothly flowing clear river with foliage surrounding. It was summer, room temperature, sunny but no need for glasses of sunscreen, we were both wearing summer dresses. We're peacefully sitting in silence watching the water drift by when I notice a large alligator and a few smaller ones slowing swimming by. My old landlady is about to slip in for a swim, I put my arm out to stop her and point to the alligators in warning. I am calm and slowly start gathering my things and helping my child climb over the boulders to head back home. We are at peace and silently strolling along the river side when I look to the far bank and notice a group of people, possibly of Ecuadorian decent gathered around and embankment, they are wearing ragged jean shorts and dirty tank tops and are releasing thrashing alligators into the water. The group appears to be scowling and possibly some type of gang. I stand still observing the occurrence for a moment, I take note of it but than peacefully continue on my way with child in hand.

Some back ground: I used to be friends with my landlady when I moved into her home (we shared common space). But things went downhill unexpectedly and she ended up asking us to leave and became very aggressive, I had to get a restraining order to be able to collect the rest of my belongings. I ran into her at the store yesterday afternoon, the restraining order had just expired and she decided to approach my friend and I in an aggressive manor, I ignored her and left the store with my friend. I'm now debating gaining a secondary restraining order.

Many Thanks for reading, hope you all enjoyed doing so and I look forward to hearing your feedback! :heartpump:
Last edited by solitarysundown369 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
solitarysundown369
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Symbolic

Postby sealchan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:45 pm

solitarysundown369 wrote:I had a dream last night that I was sitting on a large smooth boulder next to a beautiful smoothly flowing clear river with foliage surrounding. It was summer, room temperature, sunny but no need for glasses of sunscreen, we were both wearing summer dresses. We're peacefully sitting in silence watching the water drift by when I notice a large alligator and a few smaller ones slowing swimming by. My old landlady is about to slip in for a swim, I put my arm out to stop her and point to the alligators in warning. I am calm and slowly start gathering my things and helping my child climb over the boulders to head back home. We are at peace and silently strolling along the river side when I look to the far bank and notice a group of people, possibly of Ecuadorian decent gathered around and embankment, they are wearing ragged jean shorts and dirty tank tops and are releasing thrashing alligators into the water. The group appears to be scowling and possibly some type of gang. I stand still observing the occurrence for a moment, I take note of it but than peacefully continue on my way with child in hand.

Some back ground: I used to be friends with my landlady when I moved into her home (we shared common space). But things went downhill unexpectedly and she ended up asking us to leave and became very aggressive, I had to get a restraining order to be able to collect the rest of my belongings. I ran into her at the store yesterday afternoon, the restraining order had just expired and she decided to approach my friend and I in an aggressive manor, I ignored her and left the store with my friend. I'm now debating gaining a secondary restraining order.

Many Thanks for reading, hope you all enjoyed doing so and I look forward to hearing your feedback! :heartpump:

Sorry to hear about your landlady issues...maybe since she isn't actively pursuing you it would be better to drop it. Your call of course.

It seems that in the dream there is a great deal of peace on your part...also protectiveness for those you are with. But this peace is being matched with an alligator threat. This threat comes from across the river and is intentional it seems although it may not be directly targetted at you.

The river I think is a boundary of sorts between your bank and the bank on the far side. This might be a reference to the brain in terms of the cerebral cortex divided into two hemispheres (banks). These hemispheres are separated by the corpus callosum and in order for the two sides to coordinate some additional amount of (neural) energy may be necessary to exchange neural signals. This energy barrier I think may be the river.

Any personal thoughts about Ecuador? Ever been there?

One thing about Ecuador is that it lies along the equator. Dreams commonly look to the positions of things and the fact that these may be Ecuadorians (barring any personal associations that might be more relevant), they may be providing some kind of balance to your psyche.

So in terms of your psyche, what is the nature of this peaceful scene gone bad?

When the woman you are with, the landlady, attempts to go for a swim you simultaneously become aware that there are dangerous alligators in the water and you restrain her from entering the water. It seems this also prompts your leaving the place you were at by the river. As you move up the river, which is, perhaps, like a continued focus on the river itself, it reveals to you more about the source of the dangerous alligators within it. So my staying with the image of the river you are able to gradually make out more and more of the dangers involved should one wish to cross it.

However, I think that quite possibly, it is desirable that you should wish to not only be able to enter that river but cross over it as well. In psychic terms your dream may represent a "disconnect" between two sides of your psyche. That gang is your gang and those alligators are your alligators. There is certainly nothing you have done in the dream to suggest that you are being aggressive or looking to harm someone, but in psychic terms things run on a different logic...a failure to engage with a side of yourself is a sort of act of aggression on the part of your conscious attitude.

I don't mean to criticize you. Everyone has these sorts of dreams all the time. I certainly have. I just mean to indicate that a part of yourself is acting in such a way that another part of yourself, the part you identify with in the dream, makes that part look bad. You are peaceful but there is a gang who is intentionally dumping aggravated alligators into the river. As a dreamer we should take responsibility for both sides.

Without giving in to aggression or a desire to do something as distasteful, you might re-enter the imaginal space of this dream and seek to "build a bridge" over this river and have a talk with whomever wants to represent the members of this gang. You don't have to give in to whatever they want, they probably don't have the best idea about what is good behavior obviously, but they should be listened to.

Another approach that I highly recommend is that you take a Jungian-based personality test like Myers-Briggs or Kiersey Temperament Sorter. I say this because I believe that everyone has developed a personality that is biased and that we each have an underdeveloped complementary other half to our personalities that needs some assistance from our better half. I'm a good intuitive thinker but I need to be patient and make room for my feeling and sensation in my life. If I don't then I get bit so to speak.

Anyway those are my thoughts. Again, I hope I have not come off as judgmental. I find that some dreams show ourselves to be in conflict and others show us to be able to handle whatever comes. Really this dream shows a bit of both. Thank you for sharing your dream. I appreciate dreams as personal works of art that our minds create for free and they should be treated as valuable expressions of personal experience and meaning.
sealchan
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby sealchan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:41 pm

In reviewing another dream I realized that I did not give due attention to how gracefully and calmly you took care of the landlady who is very likely a shadow figure for you. The ego is the main force of the psyche, it is your conscious personality. But the development of the personality gives rise to a relatively neglected opposite personality. In dreams same age, same sex characters who make different choices or who have different opinions are aspects of that shadow. In this sense I think that your dream shows you that you have a sensitivity to this other aspect of yourself. Perhaps even in how you have handled the real life landlady you have taken careful steps to manage a strong difference of opinion! No doubt this gives you the grace to remain in close contact with the dangerous waters of the river without becoming a victim of the alligators or even, it seems, becoming a victim of fear.
sealchan
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby solitarysundown369 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:01 pm

Hello Friend, thank you for your insightful understanding. I've decided since i have a young child that I'm going to file a police report so there is evidence of the incident in case it continues than a restraining order will be simple if need be. But I'd really love for this to just be over lol. I've never thought of the separation of brain hemispheres being represented in dreams, would you say that that goes hand in hand with the sides of the psyche? I've never been to Ecuador though I did date an Ecuadorian boy in high school and lived with his family for a year, I'm still friend's with his sister and on the rare occasion that I speak with their mother I call her madre. I'm interested in what you said about taking responsibility for both sides, I'm curious if you believe that all the character's in our dreams are a part of ourselves or if it's possible for characters in dreams to represent things outside of ourselves? If the former is true, how would you intemperate that? That a part of me in aggravated or engaging in potentially dangerous thought patterns?

Without giving in to aggression or a desire to do something as distasteful, you might re-enter the imaginal space of this dream and seek to "build a bridge" over this river and have a talk with whomever wants to represent the members of this gang. You don't have to give in to whatever they want, they probably don't have the best idea about what is good behavior obviously, but they should be listened to.

How would one reenter this dream space to attempt to build such a bridge?

I'll definitely look into that personality test, I love things like that and I appreciate your view of dreams as works of art, I agree, I've never heard anyone put it so well, thank you for that.
solitarysundown369
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby sealchan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:32 am

solitarysundown369 wrote:Hello Friend, thank you for your insightful understanding. I've decided since i have a young child that I'm going to file a police report so there is evidence of the incident in case it continues than a restraining order will be simple if need be. But I'd really love for this to just be over lol.

Sounds to me like a good measured response.

I've never thought of the separation of brain hemispheres being represented in dreams, would you say that that goes hand in hand with the sides of the psyche?

I beginning to believe this is the case more and more. Another dreamer on this forum had a dream where they became separated from another individual because they were making pictures. This made me think that one person was using their left hemisphere and was linguistically oriented while the other dream person (the dreamer's perspective) was using the right hemisphere. This reminded my of Betty Edwards book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

I've never been to Ecuador though I did date an Ecuadorian boy in high school and lived with his family for a year, I'm still friend's with his sister and on the rare occasion that I speak with their mother I call her madre.

Then I would say that the gang may have more to it than being associated with its equatorial position. You have a personal experience of Ecuadorian culture of some kind and your mind probably found something in that of significance and that is why this gang might be Ecuadorian.

I'm interested in what you said about taking responsibility for both sides, I'm curious if you believe that all the character's in our dreams are a part of ourselves or if it's possible for characters in dreams to represent things outside of ourselves? If the former is true, how would you intemperate that? That a part of me in aggravated or engaging in potentially dangerous thought patterns?

I do believe that dream characters are aspects of the dreamer's psyche. If a dream character resembles a real person it is because that is the part of you that is "invoked" by that real person. I also believe that not only do we see ourselves in terms of how we see others but we can find within ourselves many different "personality centers" and they each have a different take on matters. Who you are is an organization of those personality centers and in dreams we can see that.

But who we are is not "whole" in that we don't get the attention and cooperation of all of our personality centers and they tend to set up some smaller independent organizations. These are the characters in dreams who act independently or even against the wishes of the dreamer. But all of these people are in the garden that is the dreamer's psyche and they are all, nevertheless, interconnected for they all respond quickly to one another no matter how different they might seem.

Dreams are also very metaphorical and the drama that they describe takes place in a world that runs by laws very different than the real or waking world. As such there often isn't a literal translation of what is taking place in the dream to what one might expect to take place in real life. One can study certain dream interpretation theories and try to understand what these characters are doing or one can try to engage more directly with them through something called active imagination.

How would one reenter this dream space to attempt to build such a bridge?

You can google 'active imagination' for more information, but it is basically an intentional, focused effort to bring into your mind's full attention the images and moods and sense of a dream and attempt to interact with it. The outside world needs to be dampened while you are doing this so that you can be as immersed as possible in the remembrance of the dream and how it felt. Then you can think in your mind certain thoughts in an effort to get further images, thoughts from that part of your psyche. Sometimes when you wake up from a dream your mind is still in it and you find yourself kind of interacting with it in this way. Pay attention to whatever your mind seems to come up with. It is sort of like wakeful dreaming with an attitude that the dream has something more it could say or that it might respond to your attention and questions or statements.

I'll definitely look into that personality test, I love things like that and I appreciate your view of dreams as works of art, I agree, I've never heard anyone put it so well, thank you for that.

Thanks!

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is often used in corporate trainings and is probably the original psychological test based on the theories of Carl Jung. It can also be very educational to pick up a copy of "Please Understand Me II" by David Kiersey or just go to the web site. You can take a test for free, read about "your" personality type. Read some of the other types and you will probably find a lot that helps you to understand yourself and other people.
sealchan
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Re: River Filled with Alligators

Postby Varzandeh » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:08 am

A river means a man or a person,
Alligators are criminal people who work with him/her.
For more information about the dream language symbols , please see the Dream Dictionary in the www.dreamsfact.com .
Varzandeh
the one the only
the one the only

Return to General Dream Discussion