Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Secret Society

Share your dreams with other Dream Moods visitors. Puzzled about the meaning of your dream? Submit it here and see if anybody can help.

Secret Society

Postby Noel1213 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:19 am

Hi!

Can someone help me find out what my drean could mean? Please?

I dreamt that I was at my college dorm and I found a secret calendar with stuff I didn't recognize all over it. I asked my aunt about it (who was there for some reason) and she spoke of a secret society that she and some of my family members were a part of. I had no idea what the society was, and I had a feeling that I wasn't supposed to know about it, but I knew that I did not want any part of it. I then had some sort of flash forward where there were three ancient Egyptian God like beings (you know, the ones in their drawings who have stiff humanoid bodies with animal heads). One of them, who was a humanoid with the head of a black dog with pointy ears and a pointy snout, had kidnapped the other two. One of the other two was a humanoid with a the head of a chubby bird, and the other one was a humanoid with an unknown animal face. The dog-faced guy was walking with the other animals through a huge, red and black raised platform in the middle of a calm sea at sunset. Then, he took them to a bigger platform further away in the same sea. He commented about the other platform as being a "fake heaven" and that the one they were on was the real heaven. He was trying to get the other animal people to buy into his views on the same secret society that I was concerned about in the beginning. This dream was really weird and I would love to know about what it could mean. The whole time I myself felt pressured to be in said society now that I knew about it. I really did not want to be a part of it though, so the dream itself was very uncomfortable.

thank you for your time,

Noel1213
Noel1213
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Secret Society

Postby Athanor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:25 pm

Although in order to provide a more accurate interpretation it would usually be best to have some additional general background information about you (and a description of events just before this very important dream), it’s safe to say this is what’s called an “archetypal” dream, meaning that it came from the very deepest layers of your unconscious mind.

These types of dreams appear at crucial transition points in a person’s life such as the one you’re at right now, being at college and about to move on into the world.

The location of the college dorm might even suggest this idea of a transition since it’s a place between your former home and where you’ll live independently from your family in the future.

In essence, a calendar represents time while the unknown marks made by the secret society could symbolize certain influences of your immediate and extended family (including stories about ancestors etc.) of which you’re mostly unaware.

This idea is supported by the fact that your aunt in the dream tells you that she and other family members are part of this secret society.

Not being conscious enough of any such unseen effects on your attitudes and ways of thinking etc. (i.e. you can’t make any sense of the markings on the calendar of time) could apparently negatively affect in some way your unique self-development as an individual over time.

This is suggested by how very uncomfortable you feel about the secret society once you’ve found out about it and also how you want nothing to do with it.

That’s because dreams often picture how the dreamer SHOULD feel about a given situation that’s being dealt with by a particular dream.

The problem is that another way of looking at this situation is also possible, namely, that the secret society is actually a positive thing. For example, an inherited talent etc. which you’re not really very aware of. But, in addition, any hint that its demands for discipline, perseverance and loyalty etc. etc. could scare you away (e.g. you really want to avoid the secret society).

You can try focusing on the image of your aunt in the dream to see what spontaneous memories, thoughts and feelings come to mind. By sifting through what appears, hopefully a clue will emerge about what the basic nature of the secret society is in your actual personal circumstances, either positive or negative overall.

The next part of the dream is a crucial one and would need a lot of exploration in order to find its meaning in depth. In fact, the overall meaning of an archetypal dream often becomes clear only after many years.

Therefore, if you haven’t already done so, it would probably be a good idea to print out your dream in order to protect it from site and computer crashes etc. so that you’ll be able to come back to it in the future.

It might seem like an unusual idea to say that the part of your dream which is about Egyptian gods is an important segment, but dreams use metaphors and analogies to express their meaning, so something “divine” and “godlike” is meant convey to the dreamer that an issue of very high importance is involved.

Unfortunately, the “gods” and “goddesses” have been reduced by modern society to being quaint but misguided beliefs of previous cultures. In reality, they symbolize timeless and therefore “divine” parts of the psyche which “control the destinies of mankind”, as it were.

The famous psychologist Carl Jung has described these inner entities as the “archetypes” of human behavior. Independently of Jung, biologists and other scientists have found equivalent signs of innate energies which control behavior overall.

It’s as if each archetype has a certain amount of energy assigned to it which is absolutely untouchable. If a person “ignores the god” by wanting to “steal” its energy, she or he can be “hit by a thunderbolt”, that is, a neurosis occurs or physical health is badly affected etc.

In your dream, three Egyptian gods are on a platform in the middle of a calm sea at dusk.

Overall, this is an archetypal image in itself which is probably best understood to some degree by just letting the feeling of such an image sink in.

But in general, the sea represents the vastness of the unconscious itself which includes every aspect of our emotions, thoughts, memories, perceptions, instincts, potentials, skills, genetic makeup, abilities etc. etc.

The dream is most likely saying that the Egyptian gods came from the sea.

Generally speaking, it looks like the first god who looks like a dog could symbolize the jackal-headed Anubis.

With archetypal dreams, looking at what ancient beliefs etc. have surrounded a given image can be very helpful in understanding its meaning in a modern dream.

However, the problem is that every symbol has a positive as well as a negative aspect to it, making the specific context of the dreamer’s life extra important to be aware of when trying to analyze a dream.

But speaking generally, Anubis was a god of the dead and a guide to the underworld (the unconscious).

In this capacity, he brought the dead to stand before the god Osiris and the “assessors” who weighed the dead person’s heart on the scales of the goddess Maat (“Truth”) against a feather.

If the heart did not outweigh the feather, the person would move on and eventually reach “heaven”.

Otherwise, the person would be devoured by the goddess Ammit and would remain in the underworld (the unconscious).

Psychologically speaking, this would mean, as a general example, that if a person wasn’t “virtuous” in actively developing their genuinely important potentials, then she or he might feel in the end depressed and unsatisfied.

In your dream, the god who looked like a chubby bird could be something like the sun god Ra who was falcon-headed.

Very broadly, this god symbolizes the unique potential of a person which has to be made real in the outside world through gradual self-development.

If the other god seemed to be in any way ape-like, he might represent Thoth who is connected with the moon, writing, words and truth. He recorded the names of all those who entered the underworld.

The platforms probably represent potential “islands” of a certain kind of conscious development.

For example, the fake heaven might be too collective and materialistically orientated as opposed to an approach that aims for a reasonable level of individual awareness and wholeness as the main goal.

The idea would be that Anubis had to kidnap the other gods because they were tending to “forget” their vocations as related to the self-development of human beings, including you, for whatever reason.

If so, this would impact on your eventual sense of feeling whether you had actually become the “real you” or not.

However, as mentioned, this might not even come very close to the personal meaning of your archetypal dream, and you’d just have to mull it over until something seems to click about its meaning.

Anyway, please feel free to comment on, or to ask any questions about this particular way of looking at your dream.
Athanor
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Noel1213 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Thank you for replying. I'm glad someone could help me shed some light on this odd dream.

I guess I should have said more about myself...sorry about that. First, I have to say that I am a young woman who is in my first year of graduate school and I am currently working at my first job ever (though I am thinking about working at a different job that may pay me more). With that in mind, the whole transition thing is pretty accurate. My life is pretty comfortable (and dare I say, great) right now, but I'm having some minor issues with paying for classes next year. I graduated last year with a Bachelors' in Psychology, so the bits about the "archetypes" in my dream were very interesting. It did not occur to me that one of Carl Jung's dream concepts (character archetypes) could apply to my dream (I will have to think about that more). I have a pretty good relationship with my aunt. I am very interested in "being myself" and (because I am a artist) "developing my own style." Speaking of art, I am trying to draw more realistic art to help me learn about proportions and movement. I started drawing a lot during my anime and manga phase, so now I want to learn how to really draw. Finally, I had a period in my life (middle school to about 11th grade?) where I was interested in reading about ancient and current religions, including ancient Egyptian religion(s). I don't remember a bunch of things about my studies (at least consciously), but maybe some of the imagery may be influenced by that as well.

Thank you again for reading and replying, I hope that maybe my description helps (if you feel like replying again).

-Noel1213
Noel1213
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby Athanor » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:38 pm

Hi again,

Because you’re good at art, it would probably be helpful for you to draw or paint various scenes and characters from your dream. This is a method that Carl Jung himself developed when treating his clients, and he always supported the idea that most people, patients or not, could benefit from it.

While trying this, or later while looking at what came of it, keep an eye out for any spontaneous feelings, thoughts, intuitions or ideas for projects etc. that come to mind which could provide valuable clues about what the dream was trying to communicate to you.

To get a general idea of how symbols can appear in art, you might like “The Secret World of Drawings: A Jungian Approach to Healing through Art” by Gregg Furth.

It seems that you have a liking for and skills related to the discipline of psychology, so the question raised by the dream might possibly include the idea of how your very strong liking for art can be integrated into your involvement with psychology, or in some other way kept alive in your everyday life against the pressures of making a living etc.

Another idea might be that while things are going pretty well right now (maybe symbolized by the “fake heaven” platform and your plans for the future), joining these two parts of yourself (psychology and art) in a viable way could be hard to pull off in some way, needing a concentrated effort to do so over time.

So the dream might be showing that a failure to do this in a reasonable way could possibly leave you at least vaguely dissatisfied in the future.

For some more clues about the meaning of your dream, you can try thinking over why you have a pretty good relationship with your aunt. For example, is it because you see that she “does her own thing” while getting along well with others? Does she somehow support you and others in the family in fulfilling their goals? Does she have “psychological” skills similar to your own such as, for instance, being intuitive?

It looks like the dream is indeed drawing on unconscious memories of your earlier studies into ancient and current religions, possibly to illustrate by analogy (i.e. by the presence of “divine” Egyptian gods) an important aspect of your personality which wants and needs to explore “meaning” and “spirituality” in some way over time.

Dreams can be a very helpful guide towards this goal, and “Jungian Dream Interpretation” by analyst James Hall is a very practical introduction on how to look at one’s own dreams.

Another reliable book is analyst Robert Johnson’s book “Inner Work”.

And the last thing that Carl Jung ever wrote and which was directed to the general public appears as the first chapter in “Man and His Symbols”, a book which he edited. His long chapter looks at approaching the unconscious, dreams and symbols in a very engaging and practical way which you might find helpful in exploring your own future goals.

I hope these additional ideas can be useful in some way, and please don’t hesitate to ask any other questions you may have.
Athanor
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Return to General Dream Discussion