Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Crocodile

Share your dreams with other Dream Moods visitors. Puzzled about the meaning of your dream? Submit it here and see if anybody can help.

Crocodile

Postby calb84 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:14 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting. I see alot of interpretations of Crocodile dreams however none about seeing someone else being eaten by a crocodile.

I had a dream that I was working at a Crocodile enclosure and 1 of my work colleagues went into save a fish from being in the enclosure (i know sounds silly lol) and when he went in there the crocodile was over the other side of the water on the bank walking away, then all of a sudden the crocodile flipped around and raced toward the worker, pulling him into the water and crushing him while the worker screamed in agony.

Can anyone help in interpreting this dream, as most interpretations refer to your own self being eaten.
calb84
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Crocodile

Postby aussie_musician » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:22 pm

do you know the breed of fish ???

maybe the croc was protecting the fish ..
WWJD.
Nehemiah 8:10 The Joy Of The Lord.
Ecclesiastes 3: 1-11 The Seasons Of Life.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life" - Jesus.
aussie_musician
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Location: Newcastle, New South Wales, The East Coast Of Australia, Southern Hemisphere ..

Postby calb84 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:19 pm

I think it was a cod?
calb84
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby Athanor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:59 pm

Although in order to provide a more accurate interpretation it would usually be best to have some general background information about you (and a description of events just before this frightening dream), it’s safe to say that animals in dreams somehow symbolize the dreamer’s overall way of handling natural instinctive emotions, vague feelings, intuitions and even cold thoughts and actions that are sometimes needed to defend ourselves in certain situations (just like a quiet mother bear etc. will suddenly turn very savage if her cubs are in danger).

The crocodile enclosure is of course man-made, suggesting that you might have built up over time a certain “restricted” and “controlled” attitude towards the darker, instinctive side of life in general terms.

This adaptation seems to work in a broad way in that your instincts are kind of “on display” in an “organized” manner, but in this case, something goes horribly wrong.

The fact that you’re only a worker there and not the owner might add to this idea of a more “distant” connection with the natural side of life overall.

As the famous psychiatrist C. G. Jung writes in “Seminar on Dream Analysis, Bollingen Series XCIX”:

“So whenever life means business, when things are getting serious, you are likely to find a saurian on the way. Or when vital contents are to appear from the unconscious, vital thoughts or impulses, you will dream of such animals”.

Dr. Jung was referring at the time of writing to images such as crocodiles, snakes, lizards, turtles and tortoises.

The idea is that the frightening image of the crocodile devouring your colleague represents a potentially dangerous influx of powerful, cold and “automatic” (reptilian) impulses which could make you “totally unconscious” (i.e. your colleague will apparently die instead of being somehow saved).

This could happen, for example, if you tended to allow a certain belief or attitude etc. that wants to steer you away from an acceptance of how life contains both the kind and good along with some pretty awful things that can happen at times.

On analogy, this could be represented by your colleague in the dream wanting to “save” the fish which in effect is there to be eaten by the crocodile and to help sustain its life, no matter how upsetting this might be.

So your deep instinctive side as symbolized by the crocodile could, in a worst case scenario, apparently “rebel” against, for instance, any habits of being only “nice” and avoiding facing the harsher realities of life (e.g. the crocodile apparently is enraged that his food is being removed and acts accordingly).

In a practical way, this type of “habit of thought” etc. could be “crushed” by, for example, sudden and uncontrollable outbursts of anger or worry etc. which could appear unexpectedly on the scene and badly interfere with your everyday life.

If this interpretation does seem to fit in some way, I often recommend the book “Meeting the Shadow”, edited by Connie Zweig and Jeremiah Abrams. It covers the concept of the earthy, shadowy, emotional and scary instinctive side of human nature that we may not feel very comfortable with, and covers how to deal with it in detail. It's easy to read, being composed of many short articles by various authors inside and outside the psychological community.

Other books to choose from on this subject include “Owning Your Own Shadow” by Robert Johnson, “Romancing the Shadow” by Connie Zweig and Steven Wolf, “Make Friends with your Shadow” by William Miller, “Your Shadow” by Robin Robertson, and “A Little Book on the Human Shadow” by Robert Bly.

Anyway as mentioned, without knowing anything about you, this way of looking at your upsetting dream might not fit your personal circumstances very well, but I hope that these ideas can be helpful in some way.

Please feel free to comment on, or to ask any questions about this particular way of looking at your dream.
Athanor
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby aussie_musician » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:12 pm

a cod .. hmmmm ..
WWJD.
Nehemiah 8:10 The Joy Of The Lord.
Ecclesiastes 3: 1-11 The Seasons Of Life.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life" - Jesus.
aussie_musician
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Location: Newcastle, New South Wales, The East Coast Of Australia, Southern Hemisphere ..

Return to General Dream Discussion