Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Do you live in California ??

Talk about politics, the government, domestic policies, world affairs, current events, wars, the economy, taxation and anything in the headlines.

Do you live in California ??

Postby Strange Visions » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:10 pm

What are you going to do when in 12 months water no longer flows to your home ?
What preparations have you taken, are you going to move? I am just wondering what everyone is planning..
You have been given universal understanding for a reason, to understand beyond simple human.
www.moeetheory.com © moee@moeetheory.com
Strange Visions
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Re: Do you live in California ??

Postby Tal » Fri May 01, 2015 12:20 am

I remember a former DM member telling me 5 or 6 years ago that California was rapidly running out of water. Why didn't anyone do anything about it back then? Australia went through a 10 year drought that we're still recovering from. Water restrictions were put in place almost immediately. My kids have never seen a sprinkler or played under a hose but it doesn't matter because they don't miss what they never had. Gardens could be watered on alternate days but not lawns so people replaced grass with drought resistant plants. Could only wash cars certain days of the month and only with limited amount of water. People with pools had to get a permit to fill them and so on. When we were discussing this, I was stunned at the fucked up attitude of a lot the USAers on here. "Too much govt." "it's my right to use water when I want for what I want" "nobody can stop me washing my car, watering my lawn etc." The woman who started the thread was the only one who thought wasting precious water for stupid reasons was insane.
5 years on and it's nearly all gone.
I'm curious as to what people will living in California will do too. Humans can go a long time without food but not without water. It'll take something hugely innovative to get out of this big pile of shit. I'll be paying attention.
Tal
A Helping Hand
A Helping Hand

Postby Batman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:26 pm

Have you heard of the Pacific Ocean? You do know they have factories that can take salt out of water.. and it is even cheaper to get none drinking water.
Batman
Gus Who?
Gus Who?

Postby Strange Visions » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:17 pm

Batman wrote:Have you heard of the Pacific Ocean? You do know they have factories that can take salt out of water.. and it is even cheaper to get none drinking water.

Yes its called a desalinization plant they pollute pretty bad and toxify the waters the salt is dumped at and also known to kill a lot of marine life.

With the majority of desalination plants extracting water directly through open water intakes in the ocean, there is a direct impact on marine life. Fish and other marine organisms are killed on the intake screens (impingement); organisms small enough to pass through, such as plankton, fish eggs, and larvae, are killed during processing of the salt water (entrainment). The impacts on the marine environment, even for a single desalination plant, may be subject to daily, seasonal, annual, and even decadal variation, and are likely to be species- and site-specific.

Another major environmental challenge of desalination is the disposal of the highly concentrated salt brine that contains other chemicals used throughout the process. Because all large coastal seawater desalination plants discharge brine into oceans and estuaries, including all of the proposed plants in California, steps must be taken to ensure its safe disposal; at this stage, we know very little about the long-term impacts of brine disposal on the marine environment. Twice as saline as the ocean, the brine is denser than the waters into which it is discharged and tends to sink and slowly spread along the ocean floor, where there is typically little wave energy to mix it. There are several proven methods to disperse concentrated brine, such as multi-port diffusers placed on the discharge pipe to promote mixing. Brine can also be diluted with effluent from a wastewater treatment plant or with cooling water from a power plant or other industrial user, although these approaches have their own drawbacks that must be addressed.
You have been given universal understanding for a reason, to understand beyond simple human.
www.moeetheory.com © moee@moeetheory.com
Strange Visions
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Batman » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:55 pm

Well they had one already in MONTEREY COUNTY... And another is being built in San Diego http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_2 ... es-up-near
Batman
Gus Who?
Gus Who?

Postby harryroy83 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:17 am

If I'm there I will quit that place.
harryroy83
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby pisces_dreamer » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:01 pm

I live in California. They make a big deal about the drought where I live in the central valley but no one seems to care. It would suck if we really did run out of water so soon, California has the largest population of any state so id imagine a bunch of chaos, rioting and mass death. Either that or we'd start importing water and the division of class would become even more extreme. Either way, let's hope you're wrong, Strange.
pisces_dreamer
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby Tal » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:03 am

It's a fairly big state, so are you not directly affected because of where you live, pisces_dreamer? I saw an excellent doco about how Nevada, or more specificly, Las Vegas is dealing with the shortage and was heartened to see good old common sense leading to brilliant but simple innovation in water conservation. If you look back through history, the most powerful empires have fallen due to lack of water. It's the planet's life blood and therefore, ours.

Batty: desalination plants require a huge amount of energy to run and create an even bigger environmental mess. Why do you think it's not really done in other parts of the arid world? They require enormous resources, do a lot of damage and the outcome is minimal. Until the technology improves, desal should only be used as an absolute last chance resort. And a temporary one at that.
Tal
A Helping Hand
A Helping Hand

Postby pisces_dreamer » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:56 pm

Tal,
Thats what I'm saying like theres signs everywhere on freeways "EXTREME DROUGHT SAVE WATER" and if you have a lawn there's water days. But other than that its a pretty nonexistent issue, easy to overlook if you're not paying attention.
pisces_dreamer
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby Sheena » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:20 pm

There will be plenty of water when CA falls into the sea, within 30 years.
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby pisces_dreamer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:14 pm

Sheena Yup you're right. I just hope Dwayne Johnson saves his character's daughter.
pisces_dreamer
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Return to News And Politics