Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

3 Key Words to Explain American Culture

Talk about politics, the government, domestic policies, world affairs, current events, wars, the economy, taxation and anything in the headlines.

Re: 3 Key Words to Explain American Culture

Postby paulo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:25 pm

St. Dymphna wrote:sure, i know many from online. that doesn't exactly narrow down the possibility of who you are, though.
have you ever had an account on this site before, other than?

nope this is first account ive had on anything (except facebook of course) and it does sort of narrow it down from everyone to just british people, and who pray tell are you ? :?:
paulo
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby St. Dymphna » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:30 am

paulo wrote:nope this is first account ive had on anything (except facebook of course) and it does sort of narrow it down from everyone to just british people, and who pray tell are you ? :?:

No one, never mind.
St. Dymphna
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby paulo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:45 pm

St. Dymphna wrote:
paulo wrote:nope this is first account ive had on anything (except facebook of course) and it does sort of narrow it down from everyone to just british people, and who pray tell are you ? :?:

No one, never mind.

thats amazing that "noone" can communicate online :D
paulo
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby Minsago » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:11 am

you are what you eat:

fast-food
pesticides
imported

The thing is though, describing "American culture" doesn't necessarily describe all Americans. I live in America and I would defy every negative stereotype I could come up with. Overall, American culture is variegated because it's an amalgamation of many different cultures which vary from place-to-place.
Minsago
Part Time Dreamer
Part Time Dreamer

Postby paulo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:25 am

independent
corrupt
fat
paulo
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby orionfoxgibson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:53 am

Obviously we americans are still "Envied", "Feared", and "Resiliant".
Will wonders ever cease?
"Who's More Foolish? The Fool? Or the one who follows him?"
orionfoxgibson
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby VeerthyneAbezny » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:50 am

Complex/Diverse - Self-explanatory, I suppose.

Confused/Simple-minded - The state of this union is better than that of other countries, but still not good enough. We need to actually start solving problems, as opposed to yelling at each other that the other party sucks. We need to see things from a realist point of view, and not a distorted, monochrome, black-or-white worldview where America either sucks dick or is the best, or where it's Left or Right and no in-between.

Lazy/Ignorant - We need to stop being so lazy and get off our asses and go learn and do something. If hundreds of people from Texas come to the UK thinking Sleeping Beauty was based off a true story and thousands of people can protest Wall Street with most not knowing what they're protesting, there's obviously a problem. We can barely make our own decisions, most of which are uninformed anyways. (This ignorance, by the way, is the reason there's this stupid left-right paradigm in the first place.)
VeerthyneAbezny
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby mary01 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:38 am

arrogant
narrow minded
powerful

One post said they donate money to charity more than any other country. But there are so many poor people in your country!? Living on the streets starving? (l will never forget the richest country in the world getting their actors to ask people worldwide to donate money after 9/11. 9/11 was instantly televised around the world.)

The following day at work some of my colleagues ask that we stand for a minutes silence for what happened on 9/11 l happily did this adding that we include all the suffering that has happened to other people in other countries i.e. genocide and include these people as well.

Yes it was absolutely awful and many many people died. USA like Britain has intervened in other countries where there is war yet both are fortunate that they have not experienced war in their own countries since 1945.

Other countries have and do experience genocide. USA and other countries have ignored the genocide which has included rape torture starvation and many many unbelievably horrific and slow ways a human can possibly die. Do we hear about this instantly on TV, do we intervene? - No unless their is oil in the country or something that is 'worth it'. Obviously human's don't have that much collateral. USA and Britain knew about the holocaust during the second world war and chose to do nothing about it.

How many Americans don't have passports?

People are sucked into the powerful media and don't question what is going on outside of their country and what past their country has played in global issues. They are all controlled like puppets on a string by the government, and we all buy it.

It is scary.

[quote][/quote]To challenge power is not a matter of seeking some ‘absolute truth’ (which is in any case a socially produced power), but ‘of detaching the power of truth from the forms of hegemony, social, economic, and cultural, within which it operates at the present time’ (Foucault, in Rabinow 1991: 75). Discourse can be a site of both power and resistance, with scope to ‘evade, subvert or contest strategies of power’ (Gaventa 2003: 3).

Hayward, Clarissa Rile (1998) ‘De-Facing Power’, Polity 31(1).

Rabinow, Paul (editor) (1991) The Foulcault Reader: An introduction to Foulcault’s thought, London, Penguin.[/b]

There is a lot that is good and beautiful about USA but unfortunately these 3 words come to mind first.

To the student who asked - it would be interesting to ask each religion each ethnic community each class of people each generation each gender each... You could really break it down into so many segments it would take years.

It would be good to know the outcome of yours and other students findings to this task.

Good Luck
mary01
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby Mr. Green » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:56 am

Resilience
Humorous
Sexual
Mr. Green
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby Larry Grogan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:52 pm

Individualistic

Ambitious

Rootless

And a bonus word: Mobile

Individualistic - Most Americans pride themselves on their self reliance.

Ambitious - Most of us want to do better in life, accumulate more money, possessions, knowledge, whatever, rise in social stature. We're descended from people who came here looking for a better life for them and their kids, trying to get away from what constrained them in the Old World. Today the Latino immigrants are living out the same pattern my great-grandparents did.

Rootless - Unless you're a Native American, your family came here from somewhere else. Americans move around a lot, and nowadays most people don't have the extended family, ethnic or neighborhood ties that tend to keep people in one place. Which has its advantages, but also profound drawbacks -- I think it's part of the reason for a lot of the alienation and loneliness some people feel. You're not defined by your roots in America, you make yourself what you want to be. Which can be liberating (back to individualism), but daunting and scary too, because let's face it, most of us will never be famous or rich. That social safety net that can confine an ambitious man can also catch an unsuccessful one.

Mobile - Both geographically (we're a nation of immigrants and pioneers and we still move around a lot today) and socially. You don't have to be what or who your father was, you can move up and down the social ladder. Which hasn't been true for most people in most time periods in history.
Larry Grogan
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby YoshKatgirl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:59 am

Lol, here are the three I've noticed among American society:
Greedy
Ignorant
Arrogant

Heh, and I can think of several more where that came from. >.>
YoshKatgirl
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby Tal » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:09 pm

Culture... :lol:
Tal
A Helping Hand
A Helping Hand

Postby Old-Duckman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:18 pm

asleep
Godless
doomed
Old-Duckman
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby KeyHunter » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:04 pm

Potential
Illusion
Hubris
"The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship."- Ralph Waldo Emerson
KeyHunter
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby raymond1234 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:13 pm

Envied
Tolerant
Diverse

Go America ! Heck Yeah ! :D
raymond1234
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby MissWong » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:28 am

Anyone know why they want to impeach Obama?
" I tried to cook something from scratch... and ended up summoning a demon"
MissWong
Ting-Ting
Ting-Ting

Postby CandyColoredClown » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:35 am

Because people like to pretend the presidents matter, and because they can't punish the actual people behind the scenes who make the actual decisions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFcFCvXA4fc

Stay outta my dreams.
CandyColoredClown
Part Time Dreamer
Part Time Dreamer

Postby darkanomoly » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:50 pm

MissWong wrote:Anyone know why they want to impeach Obama?

Miss wong, come check out my attracive male thread again.
darkanomoly
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby The World-Eater » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:40 am

darkanomoly wrote:
MissWong wrote:Anyone know why they want to impeach Obama?

Miss wong, come check out my attracive male thread again.

Facepalm.

OT:
1. Awesome.
2. Favorited.
3. Followed.
4. Reported.
5. Disliked.
6. Liked again.
The World-Eater
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby plazaff » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:42 pm

Sex
Money
Party :lol:
He shall cover thee with his feathers,
and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

Psalms 91:4 KJV
plazaff
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby Bigwillystyle » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:45 pm

I would say

Freedom
Willpower
Self righteousness

Merica
Home of the free because of the brave :fighting:
Bigwillystyle
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby SoulxFTW » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:17 am

I would say a lot of people have been drinking too much of the media Kool-Aid......

Culture wise
1.Diverse (Racism? The only reason this image has popped up is because we are diverse and media only reports mostly negativity and brainwashes people with the small amount of event in comparison to the amount of people in the USA I mean honestly we are human we fight and get into arguments and people take advantage of those arguments for brainwashing others and if we are as racist as everyone thinks then my question is to people in the USA including myself do you think your Skin color makes you better than everyone of another skin color, and my answer is No if I think of all the people in the US then I can assume others don't believe they are better either but I'm not worse because of my skin color I am a person and the only way we show how good we are is with the actions we take.)

2.Selfless (Not remotely Greedy and/or selfish. When S**t hits the fan in other places not just in the USA, People from all over the USA volunteer or donate heck even some of those companies we think are corrupt Donate. We only think people or these companies are greedy now I'm not saying corruption is not real because it is I'm sure "Some" people have thrown something under the table to get where they are. But corruption is no different in any country and I'm sure any country you ask can tell you without a doubt that corruption has happened/happening, this goes the same for those who are religious who take advantage of an event in order to brainwash and convert others and I'm not religious but Christianity gets a bad rap and I understand why but everyone acts like its the only one to try and convert when I'm pretty sure we have people right now of another trying to convert within the USA right now and committing violent acts.)

3. Indulgence ( this can be multiple things....But I think it covers all the bases. We love our food! We love the things that make us happy....Sports, Music, and parties.
We just love to do the things that keep us entertained and happy in the moment. We don't mind saving up money for those things that others would look at us and be like "Why would you save up to do that or buy that?" Because we love Indulging ourselves in those things! this is what makes the USA a place others want to go if they didn't want to be here they wouldn't come here?)

Honestly people have been complaining so much about the USA not just those in it but those not of the USA......If the USA is so bad why do people keep coming here? if we are so full of White Privileged race haters why become apart of a country like that and support it? I think immigration is what made this country and people forget that, I open the coming of people of other countries because we learn from them. They are the people in this country that can get along and be of a different race or religion that will eventually stand up as one people not as separate races and say we are human we are brothers and sisters of a shared planet....But people need to realize that the world is racist and/or corrupt. Not just one place. and only when all the civilians of all nations stand up as one will we be able to be as one.
SoulxFTW
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby Caesar » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:03 am

I can explain it in one word: Inferior.
People are like delicate puzzles. Unraveling them is most enjoyable.
Caesar
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby gracie0987 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:09 am

As someone from the US the three words are

Narcissistic
Conspicuous-consumption
Fear
And one more
Hyper
gracie0987
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby Sheena » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:23 pm

love
freedom
abundance.
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby Naedrux » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:33 pm

Clearly, you Yankees are but self-inflated, rude, and revolting. The Tommies are far better than you.

I'm just joking with you chaps, it's always entertaining to see what unpredictable reactions my words may cause.

Maybe I'd call you something in the other direction too, such as innovative, free, and patriotic. Yee-haw!
Naedrux
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby raymond1234 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:42 pm

Naedrux wrote:Clearly, you Yankees are but self-inflated, rude, and revolting. The Tommies are far better than you.

I'm just joking with you chaps, it's always entertaining to see what unpredictable reactions my words may cause.

Maybe I'd call you something in the other direction too, such as innovative, free, and patriotic. Yee-haw!

Independent

Innovative

Competitive
raymond1234
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Naedrux » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:26 pm

A couple of jokes about you Yankees:

How many American tourists does it take to change a light bulb?

Fifteen. Five to figure out how much the bulb costs in the local currency, four to comment on "how funny-looking" local lightbulbs are, three to hire a local person to change the bulb, two to take pictures, and one to buy postcards in case the pictures don't come out.

---

Americans vs. Russians

The Americans and Russians at the height of the arms race realised that if they continued in the usual manner they were going to blow up the whole world. One day they sat down and decided to settle the whole dispute with one dog fight. They'd have 5 years to breed the best fighting dog in the world and whichever country's dog won would be entitled to dominate the world. The losing country would have to lay down its arms.

The Russians found the biggest, meanest Dobermans and Rottweilers in the world and bred them with the biggest, meanest Siberian wolves. They selected only the biggest and strongest puppy from each litter, killed his siblings, and gave him all the milk. They used steroids and trainers and after 5 years came up with the biggest, meanest dog the world had ever seen. Its cage needed steel bars that were 5 inches thick and nobody could get near it.

When the day came for the dog fight, the Americans showed up with a strange animal. It was a 9-foot long Dachshund. Everyone felt sorry for the Americans because they knew there was no way that this dog could possibly last 10 seconds with the Russian dog. When the cages were opened up, the dachshund came out of his cage and slowly waddled over toward the Russian dog. The Russian dog snarled and leaped out of his cage and charged the American dachshund. But, when it got close enough to bite the Dachshund's neck, the Dachshund opened its mouth and consumed the Russian dog in one bite. There was nothing left at all of the Russian dog.

The Russians came up to the Americans shaking their heads in disbelief. "We don't understand how this could have happened. We had our best people working for 5 years with the meanest Dobermans and Rottweilers in the world.

"Really", the Americans replied. "We had our best plastic surgeons working for 5 years to make an alligator look like a Dachshund."

---

Noteworthy dates in 20th-Century American history:
1917 - When World War I began.
1918 - When the U.S. won World War I.
1941 - When World War II began.
1945 - When the U.S. won World War II.
Naedrux
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby Hordac the Refuser » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:15 am

kitten
flag
gun
Hordac the Refuser
Part Time Dreamer
Part Time Dreamer

Postby yournamehere » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:13 am

Egotistical (false pride)
Wants (not needs)
Broke (with benifits)
yournamehere
Part Time Dreamer
Part Time Dreamer

Postby Sheena » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:30 pm

Naedrux wrote:1941 - When World War II began.
WWII began Sept.1, 1939 when Germany invaded Poland.
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby Dalara » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:23 am

hm... first, hollywood and fast food
Dalara
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby Sheena » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:51 pm

good choices!
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby Xwikki » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:52 pm

FREEEEEDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
FREEDOM
fREeeEeEEedddoooooooMmmmmMMmmmmMMmmmmmm

But seriously this thread though.
Xwikki
Dream Moods Queen 2011 - Going Dark

Postby Sheena » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:36 pm

kk must include the qualifier: only if you are not Black.
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby Xwikki » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:54 pm

Xwikki wrote:FREEEEEDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
FREEDOM
fREeeEeEEedddoooooooMmmmmMMmmmmMMmmmmmm

But seriously this thread though.

*freedom only qualifies under the must have at least one confederate flag on display inside and outside of your property at all times regulations
Xwikki

Postby Tal » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:03 am

Sheena wrote:
Naedrux wrote:1941 - When World War II began.
WWII began Sept.1, 1939 when Germany invaded Poland.

Good grief :lol:
Tal
A Helping Hand
A Helping Hand

Postby Gus Who » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:46 am

Wild Wild West
Gus Who
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby Sheena » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:30 pm

Gus Who wrote:Wild Wild West
Surprising from this source, an almost perfect entry.
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Postby Xwikki » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:28 am

The bots are getting smarter.

Xwikki

Postby Sheena » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:51 pm

Xwikki wrote:The bots are getting smarter.
Worthy of a Dilbert punch line.
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Previous

Return to News And Politics