Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Question on religion

This forum is dedicated to topics of spirituality, spiritual growth, self awareness and religious beliefs. Share your ideas and insights on spirituality and personal enlightenment.

Re: Question on religion

Postby DRLHyper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:38 am

When confronting someone against 'spirituality', usually I run into New Age beliefs.

This is why a less fantastic version sounds interesting for me.
"Spirituality" is a code word of sorts: "I have a confession to make — I believe in God! I'm so sorry!" - "Your 'science' cannot explain my transcendental experiences!" - "I'm a quack. Give me all your money."
DRLHyper
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby The Eagle » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:00 am

well some would say i fantastical ideas about certain things - but one thing i can say is i am happy with is the logic behind my beliefs. for me beliefs must be logical.

spirituality can be logical and simple - without the need for mysticism. :)
The Sun is Life, The Moon is Magic
The Eagle
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby SamZee » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:31 am

I think the terms spirituality, and new age have become very distorted over time. I conceptualize by comparing it to Indie music. As you may know, the term "Indie" originally meant: independent label. It didn't reflect the content of the music, it was just an independent record label. Well as time went on, you started to see the same types of bands getting signed to Indie labels. The music from these bands seemed to fit more and more under the same umbrella. Thus the term "Indie" sort of became a genre. Spirituality when seen at face value, is much the same way. Same with the god-forsaken term "New Age." I hate what's become of that term. It's like using the word "gay" derogatorily.
Trailer: http://youtu.be/SJZ8wZrCCv0
SamZee
Wandering Jedi
Wandering Jedi

Postby The Eagle » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Indeed SamZee - it is a good analogy. as i said before - people are trying to turn the term "spirituality" and indeed "new age" into the name for a new religion of sorts. (calling things "new age" makes it sound a bit more sexy to get the punters in :lol: ).

however i have always been of the view that beliefs should shift over generations - so my only hope is that the blanket term "new age" moves with the beliefs of the people. ;)
The Sun is Life, The Moon is Magic
The Eagle
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby SamZee » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:55 pm

Yes, absolutely.

The Eagle wrote:so my only hope is that the blanket term "new age" moves with the beliefs of the people.

Or rather, that it becomes more understood in a less distorted way. And I completely agree with you on the notion that people's religious beliefs are slowly evolving into the same thing -- and I do mean slowly. It is called the new age "movement" after all. My hope is that within this year, all the government secrecy and lies will FINALLY come crashing down like an avalanche, paving the way for the "movement" part of the phrase.
Trailer: http://youtu.be/SJZ8wZrCCv0
SamZee
Wandering Jedi
Wandering Jedi

Postby DRLHyper » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:26 pm

Be careful with that, though.

Historically, there is something called 'revolution and counter-revolution' for a reason you know.
"Spirituality" is a code word of sorts: "I have a confession to make — I believe in God! I'm so sorry!" - "Your 'science' cannot explain my transcendental experiences!" - "I'm a quack. Give me all your money."
DRLHyper
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Previous

Return to Spirituality And Religious Beliefs