Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

 

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Spirit guides

This forum is dedicated to topics of spirituality, spiritual growth, self awareness and religious beliefs. Share your ideas and insights on spirituality and personal enlightenment.

Re: Spirit guides

Postby tropicalheatwave » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:17 am

true but never underestimate the power of imagination.
User avatar
tropicalheatwave
put 'em up!
put 'em up!
 
Posts: 1959
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: the empire state

Re: Spirit guides

Postby Nostalgic » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:35 pm

tropicalheatwave wrote:true but never underestimate the power of imagination.

I never do. I'm a beleiver in the power of the mind
Image Image
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith
 
Posts: 8208
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Spirit guides

Postby DRLHyper » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:55 pm

Nostalgic wrote:
f14birdy wrote:These sort of threads confuse me.
Not one post indicates anything more than people's imagination getting the better of them.

I looked into spirit guides a bit, and their is no cohesive links. Everyone's thought of what they are is different, and everyone seems to have some delusions of grandeur by having very prominent figures guiding them.

I hate to shoot down an the subject because of a few people getting carried away. Does anyone have a half logical explaining on the subject.

I'm a frequent lucid dreamer, and even have out of body experiences linked mostly to sleep paralysis. I mention this to show that I'm not closed minded about this stuff, but within reason.
I do see Death floating above me a lot when I have sleep paralysis episodes. Is something as simple as that enough for most of you to justify seeing your spirit guide, or is there any real interaction?


I'm 99.999% sure it's imagination. I'm also open minded though.
I think they are real to those who have them even if it's just their imagination as its real. Like an imaginary friend kids have.

I agree with f14birdy, partly.

Alas, that does not makes them anymore real than imaginary money. I could say I have 'hoards of imaginary gold doublons', yet what I could buy with them? Imaginary food...? Do not get me wrong, imagination is a good thing, specially when it goes hand to hand with creativity. Great for making stories, art, music... There are many historical wonders which were driven by creativity & imagination. However, to get lost in them is... Dangerous, to say the least.

Nostalgic wrote:Enlighten me please.....

This post however would not answer the initial question if I ended it here, so I will proceed to reply in the best way I am able to:
Nostalgic wrote:What are they?

It is necesary for the human mind to explain things, even if at a glance the person does not seem very inquisitive. It is hard-coded in our brain patterns to be inquisitive; to answer that which we can not answer. Hence when answers can not be found, they are 'made'. This is when belief comes in. Just consider this for a moment: How does e work? The men of ancient times were unable to access our modern knowledge, and to a caveman a thunder was a complete wonder; both mysterious and undecipherable... Hence, he created a god that would make thunders or govern over them.

Nowdays, the Intelligence Quality of the human race as well as our knowledge, and our ability to know, has expanded (and continues to expand), at a great pace. There more we know, the more we can know, and the more there is to know. The problem is that the more information we have, the more advanced information is.

Things have become far more complex since a few decades ago. The problem is that subjects like Psychology and Philosophy for example have not advanced much, while others, more 'physical' sciences have had such advances (cellphones, internet, etc.).

So, where I am going with this? Put simply: There is a need for Philosophical and Psychological progress, and were science has faltered, belief has taken the place; ergo why dreams are considered by many as 'spiritual experiences' (there are many examples in this forum I am sure). This is also why the entire New Age movement has grown to it's current point.
Nostalgic wrote:What are they?

Products of the mind.
Nostalgic wrote:How did you find yours?

Self-deception via meditation/hypnosis, or hallucinogens.
Nostalgic wrote:What do they do for you?

I speculate they provide some sort of "information", which whomever receives the message does not cares to analyze.
Nostalgic wrote:Why do you need one?

Perhaps the name 'spiritual guide' hints at it; the idea of an 'ascended master' who specifically follows a person seems very appealing to some people, whom somehow share certain traits with their 'guide'.
Nostalgic wrote:What does yours look like?

Since I do not believe thing in such nor do I engange in lies, I must state I have no such thing.
Nostalgic wrote:And anything else you want to add :)

Yes. Beware of delusions. It is easy to succumb to temptation, but hard to let it go.
"Spirituality" is a code word of sorts: "I have a confession to make — I believe in God! I'm so sorry!" - "Your 'science' cannot explain my transcendental experiences!" - "I'm a quack. Give me all your money."
User avatar
DRLHyper
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Spirit guides

Postby Nostalgic » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:46 pm

Wow. Thx for the reply.
I would say that's what I think also.
I'm never good at explaining my thoughts in detail like that.

Imagination is powerful but you made a good point with the gold.

I've always thought our brains have elvolved to much and causes us problems with questions still an answered or answered.
Image Image
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith
 
Posts: 8208
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Spirit guides

Postby BlissBaby13 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:40 pm

DRLHyper wrote:
Nostalgic wrote:
f14birdy wrote:These sort of threads confuse me.
Not one post indicates anything more than people's imagination getting the better of them.

I looked into spirit guides a bit, and their is no cohesive links. Everyone's thought of what they are is different, and everyone seems to have some delusions of grandeur by having very prominent figures guiding them.

I hate to shoot down an the subject because of a few people getting carried away. Does anyone have a half logical explaining on the subject.

I'm a frequent lucid dreamer, and even have out of body experiences linked mostly to sleep paralysis. I mention this to show that I'm not closed minded about this stuff, but within reason.
I do see Death floating above me a lot when I have sleep paralysis episodes. Is something as simple as that enough for most of you to justify seeing your spirit guide, or is there any real interaction?


I'm 99.999% sure it's imagination. I'm also open minded though.
I think they are real to those who have them even if it's just their imagination as its real. Like an imaginary friend kids have.

I agree with f14birdy, partly.

Alas, that does not makes them anymore real than imaginary money. I could say I have 'hoards of imaginary gold doublons', yet what I could buy with them? Imaginary food...? Do not get me wrong, imagination is a good thing, specially when it goes hand to hand with creativity. Great for making stories, art, music... There are many historical wonders which were driven by creativity & imagination. However, to get lost in them is... Dangerous, to say the least.

Nostalgic wrote:Enlighten me please.....

This post however would not answer the initial question if I ended it here, so I will proceed to reply in the best way I am able to:
Nostalgic wrote:What are they?

It is necesary for the human mind to explain things, even if at a glance the person does not seem very inquisitive. It is hard-coded in our brain patterns to be inquisitive; to answer that which we can not answer. Hence when answers can not be found, they are 'made'. This is when belief comes in. Just consider this for a moment: How does e work? The men of ancient times were unable to access our modern knowledge, and to a caveman a thunder was a complete wonder; both mysterious and undecipherable... Hence, he created a god that would make thunders or govern over them.

Nowdays, the Intelligence Quality of the human race as well as our knowledge, and our ability to know, has expanded (and continues to expand), at a great pace. There more we know, the more we can know, and the more there is to know. The problem is that the more information we have, the more advanced information is.

Things have become far more complex since a few decades ago. The problem is that subjects like Psychology and Philosophy for example have not advanced much, while others, more 'physical' sciences have had such advances (cellphones, internet, etc.).

So, where I am going with this? Put simply: There is a need for Philosophical and Psychological progress, and were science has faltered, belief has taken the place; ergo why dreams are considered by many as 'spiritual experiences' (there are many examples in this forum I am sure). This is also why the entire New Age movement has grown to it's current point.
Nostalgic wrote:What are they?

Products of the mind.
Nostalgic wrote:How did you find yours?

Self-deception via meditation/hypnosis, or hallucinogens.
Nostalgic wrote:What do they do for you?

I speculate they provide some sort of "information", which whomever receives the message does not cares to analyze.
Nostalgic wrote:Why do you need one?

Perhaps the name 'spiritual guide' hints at it; the idea of an 'ascended master' who specifically follows a person seems very appealing to some people, whom somehow share certain traits with their 'guide'.
Nostalgic wrote:What does yours look like?

Since I do not believe thing in such nor do I engange in lies, I must state I have no such thing.
Nostalgic wrote:And anything else you want to add :)

Yes. Beware of delusions. It is easy to succumb to temptation, but hard to let it go.


To go off on a tangeant quickly...
I do certainly agree with the possibility of guides being merely a projection of the human subconscious, but I disagree when you say that ancient civilisations of man were without access to our modern knowledge, for some tribes such as the Dogons and others knew the exact location of every star and planet in our solar system, when they certainly did not possess the 'necessary' left-brain instruments at the time to chart the progression and placement of these planets; they were very wise scientifically and mathematically as well as spiritually, but with none of our machinery to find this information. They were also able to describe the surface of the planet itself in great and incredible detail, before any kind of outer-space travel even existed. I've been researching some theories recently, about the possibility of the history of the human race stretching very far back compared to our current knowledge, and there is some very compelling evidence to state that the human race was once very conscious and unimaginably wise, but fell from this state of consciousness, hence our rapid climbing right now. For example, the ancient Egyptians; evidence now proves the sphinx is at least a few thousand years older than previously thought, due to the water-wear upon the surface. The geometry of the pyramids themselves also fit perfectly over very significant geometrical figures such as the fibonacci spiral, and not only that but they align with the stars themselves, and taking into consideration the sheer age of the egyptians as a civilisation, and the phenonemal planetary knowledge of the Dogons, for me at least it stands to reason to state that we are in fact children in the grand scale of potential and previous knowledge, and have been far more knowledgeable before.
That's just to skim over it briefly, of course; there's the full set of incredible theories in 'The Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life' by Drunvolo. It's awesome stuff :) ----> http://issuu.com/ericm814/docs/the_flow ... geNumber=1
BlissBaby13
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Spirit guides

Postby DRLHyper » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:48 pm

BlissBaby13 wrote:To go off on a tangeant quickly...
I do certainly agree with the possibility of guides being merely a projection of the human subconscious, but I disagree when you say that ancient civilisations of man were without access to our modern knowledge, for some tribes such as the Dogons and others knew the exact location of every star and planet in our solar system, when they certainly did not possess the 'necessary' left-brain instruments at the time to chart the progression and placement of these planets;

I do not believe in spirituality, however I concede to the idea of astronomical advances. Stonehenge, alien theory aside, was probably build by ancient humans. If this is the case, indeed, it means that the civilizations of old were very observant of the skies (which is, alas, probably true. Astrology of old was the same and one with Astronomy).
BlissBaby13 wrote:They were also able to describe the surface of the planet itself in great and incredible detail, before any kind of outer-space travel even existed. I've been researching some theories recently, about theThey were also able to describe the surface of the planet itself in great and incredible detail, before any kind of outer-space travel even existed.

Debatable. If you said the skies however, I am keen to agree.
BlissBaby13 wrote:they were very wise scientifically and mathematically as well as spiritually, but with possibility of the history of the human race stretching very far back compared to our current knowledge,
Regardless of one's own vies on intelligent design/evolution, I do not believe that to be the case. Even if the ancient aliens theory is true (I do not believe it to be, but that is besides the point), you still have a 'young homo sapiens', of no more than 10.000 years of sentience, and even less of civilization.
BlissBaby13 wrote:and there is some very compelling evidence to state that the human race was once very conscious and unimaginably wise, but fell from this state of consciousness, hence our rapid climbing right now.

I disagree. Even taking into account theories such as ancient aliens, young Earth, etc., none of them can serve as 'evidence' of an 'advanced human race'. The idea is very supported among conspiracy theorists (see Atlantis, for an example), yet holds very little tangible facts.

Furthermore, I find it interesting when people say we are raising our 'vibration level' (personally, I sense nothing at all, though). And globally, there are more wars and conflict. If this is any sign of 'spiritual awareness', it must be abandoned inmediately for the good of everyone.
BlissBaby13 wrote:For example, the ancient Egyptians; evidence now proves the sphinx is at least a few thousand years older than previously thought, due to the water-wear upon the surface. The geometry of the pyramids themselves also fit perfectly over very significant geometrical figures such as the fibonacci spiral, and not only that but they align with the stars themselves, and taking into consideration the sheer age of the egyptians as a civilisation, and the phenonemal planetary knowledge of the Dogons, for me at least it stands to reason to state that we are in fact children in the grand scale of potential and previous knowledge, and have been far more knowledgeable before.

It has been proven that the pyramids and the sphinxs were human constructs... Yet there is nothing extraordinarie about them. If they were made by Egyptians, and their methods have been replicated.
BlissBaby13 wrote:The geometry of the pyramids themselves also fit perfectly over very significant geometrical figures such as the fibonacci spiral, and not only that but they align with the stars themselves, and taking into consideration the sheer age of the egyptians as a civilisation, and the phenonemal planetary knowledge of the Dogons, for me at least it stands to reason to state that we are in fact children in the grand scale of potential and previous knowledge, and have been far more knowledgeable before.
That's just to skim over it briefly, of course; there's the full set of incredible theories in 'The Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life' by Drunvolo. It's awesome stuff :) ----> http://issuu.com/ericm814/docs/the_flow ... geNumber=1

Conspiracy theorism.

Again, there is nothing surprising that ancient civilizations where observant of the heavens. Confucious himself said [paraphrased]: "When you do not know what to do, look at the heavens."
"Spirituality" is a code word of sorts: "I have a confession to make — I believe in God! I'm so sorry!" - "Your 'science' cannot explain my transcendental experiences!" - "I'm a quack. Give me all your money."
User avatar
DRLHyper
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Spirit guides

Postby BlissBaby13 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:57 pm

Maybe you're completely right, and I'm just deluding myself. But I see too much spiritual activity unfolding around me to simply disregard everything as conspiracy, because in my head everything seems to fit absolutely perfectly. Hence, I'm terrible at articulating myself to those who think otherwise. So, sorry in advance.
I just wake up to find, every day, that we are oppressed in our way of thinking. Or at least, I believe we are. We are born, taught to speak, read, and write and then we are sent to a school where all information is spoon-fed and regulated and watered-down and instilled in us as truth. There is no personal exploration required, and it is EASY. We just agree, because we don't know any better. Then we become teenagers, and we conform to fashion and we conform to the standards of the people around us. We are ridiculed when we ask 'why?' and so we learn not to ask, like a horse that is whipped when it bucks. We follow the rules of the adults who spoon-feed us their information, and then we follow those of the government, and we get a job where we must, once again, conform. Then we begin to get older, and we drink, smoke and fornicate because it brings us momentary joy; because once, long ago, we were not aloud to do so. We talk about how dirtied and corrupt the authorities are, but we did not realise this soon enough before we are too tame and idle to properly motivate ourselves to respond. We pay the rent, we get into debt, we feel a thrill when the paycheck comes in because it ensures our safety for another month, and then we have children and bring them into the cycle with us. And our children grow up odd, and begin to create their own rules for themselves, and we quash this like a bug because it is not the truth, and it is not logic. Logic is an incredible, incredible thing, but spirituality is born from the ability to question, and all I've learned I have decided for myself and looked outside the box to do. And other people are doing it too, and it's amazing. ^^
BlissBaby13
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Spirit guides

Postby DRLHyper » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:41 am

BlissBaby13 wrote:Maybe you're completely right, and I'm just deluding myself.

Depends. If you simply believe a higher being exists, I can not disprove that entirely (nor prove it). As such I do not think belief in a "Supreme God" or (if you are inclined towards Deism) "Creator God" is self delusion in any way.

I would however call it such if you started to tell me about spirits, clairvoyance, ascended masters, etc...
BlissBaby13 wrote:But I see too much spiritual activity unfolding around me to simply disregard everything as conspiracy, because in my head everything seems to fit absolutely perfectly. Hence, I'm terrible at articulating myself to those who think otherwise. So, sorry in advance.

May I inquire, what do you consider to be 'spiritual acitivty'?
BlissBaby13 wrote:I just wake up to find, every day, that we are oppressed in our way of thinking.

"One of the penalties for not being involved in politics is that you may end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato.
BlissBaby13 wrote:Or at least, I believe we are. We are born, taught to speak, read, and write and then we are sent to a school where all information is spoon-fed and regulated and watered-down and instilled in us as truth. There is no personal exploration required, and it is EASY. We just agree, because we don't know any better. Then we become teenagers, and we conform to fashion and we conform to the standards of the people around us. We are ridiculed when we ask 'why?' and so we learn not to ask, like a horse that is whipped when it bucks. We follow the rules of the adults who spoon-feed us their information, and then we follow those of the government, and we get a job where we must, once again, conform.

I must disagree. No-one forces you to be part of the mass.
BlissBaby13 wrote:Then we begin to get older, and we drink, smoke and fornicate because it brings us momentary joy; because once, long ago, we were not aloud to do so.

No-one forces anyone to be an hedonist. Yet most people indulge in hedonism. This is because they choose to do so.
BlissBaby13 wrote:We talk about how dirtied and corrupt the authorities are, but we did not realise this soon enough before we are too tame and idle to properly motivate ourselves to respond.

Societies are, by nature, conservativist. This is not meant in the US-party sense, but in the idea that most societies are accostumed to a certain order and change is hardly possible on a 'sweeping reform' scale, which is the necesary scale to actually produce results. Even then such results of change are not guaranteed (the USSR has collapsed, yet the Russian people is very militaristic and it's government corrupt).
BlissBaby13 wrote:We pay the rent, we get into debt, we feel a thrill when the paycheck comes in because it ensures our safety for another month, and then we have children and bring them into the cycle with us. And our children grow up odd, and begin to create their own rules for themselves,

No-one forces you to have children. Furthermore, the failure of one's own finances is due to one's inability to administrate them. I can save money or spend it. If I spend it on luxuries, I will never rise to a more prominent position in society, because by purchasing luxuries, I am implying I like the status quo I have.
BlissBaby13 wrote:and we quash this like a bug because it is not the truth, and it is not logic.

Experience (thus logic) dictates that children are more likely to be influenced by counter-cultural elements more so than their parents, who already have ingrained in their minds the cultural elements of older generations.
BlissBaby13 wrote:Logic is an incredible, incredible thing, but spirituality is born from the ability to question, and all I've learned I have decided for myself and looked outside the box to do. And other people are doing it too, and it's amazing. ^^

I am much more inclined to think that what you call 'spirituality' is actually called 'reasoning' and 'different perspective'.
"Spirituality" is a code word of sorts: "I have a confession to make — I believe in God! I'm so sorry!" - "Your 'science' cannot explain my transcendental experiences!" - "I'm a quack. Give me all your money."
User avatar
DRLHyper
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Spirit guides

Postby BlissBaby13 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:26 am

Reasoning and different perspective are totally the perfect things to call it :)
--- "The flaws of New Age thinking, among them, the support for so-called psychs, mediums, spiritists, transcendental gurus, and others of the same kind, is a simple one: No one of them can openly prove their 'powers' to be true in a test." ---
What kind of test do you refer to?

As for spiritual activity, I mean seeing auras, energy particles/waves, hearing voices/noises that are not heard by the physical ear, intuition, extrasensory perceptions such as feeling certain energies coming from beings and feeling my own energy/vibrations, telepathy with those I am close to, constant numerology and symbolism occuring in daily life, feeling energy from crystals, and seeing repetitive symbols when the eyes are closed that stretch beyond average hypnagogic visuals. Friends of mine have claimed to see, feel or hear spirits, and the mother of one of my best friends frequently uses crystal therapy and animal telepathy to heal her horses. All times I've seen it happen, the vet cannot deduce what's wrong with the horse, but she utilized this 'telepathy' to restore the horse's health and discover the problem. I've had my eyes, ears and health checked numerous times throughout the process of 'spiritual awakening' and so if a problem resides, it must surely be a mental one. I do believe in 'God', or rather simply the creation of all by Spirit/Energy, but also believe that the power of that is invested in all things. The whole "God is within you" thing Jesus talks about.

I don't consider myself to be someone who simply will take these spiritual interests at face value and simply not question them beforehand, however. I think that's something the majority of people highly misinterpret about 'spiritual types', that we use blind faith to compensate for a lack of intelligence or lack of male-brain orientated thinking. I only think as I do because I had experienced things that science didn't completely cover, and so desired to look into something that did not veer towards one or the other and would open my mind. I personally felt there was a lot to be desired with science. Nowadays there seems to be the kind of mentality that if you are an athiest you are an athiest and nothing more, or that if you're Christian you cannot hold some Buddist views. I've had people ridicule me a lot for trying to mesh together science and spiritualism, stating they're polar opposites, but that's the exact reason I want to find the balance between the two. ^^ :heart: Namaste! :)
BlissBaby13
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Spirit guides

Postby DRLHyper » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:35 am

BlissBaby13 wrote:Reasoning and different perspective are totally the perfect things to call it :)
--- "The flaws of New Age thinking, among them, the support for so-called psychs, mediums, spiritists, transcendental gurus, and others of the same kind, is a simple one: No one of them can openly prove their 'powers' to be true in a test." ---
What kind of test do you refer to?

Proof tests. In particular, the James Randi association offers a $1.000.000 prize for any demonstrable supernatural feat. The prize has been offered for more than a decade now, yet none of the participants have claimed it. As a matter of fact, many prominent psychs/mediums were challenged to take the test, yet none of them would.
BlissBaby13 wrote:As for spiritual activity, I mean seeing auras, energy particles/waves, hearing voices/noises that are not heard by the physical ear, intuition, extrasensory perceptions such as feeling certain energies coming from beings and feeling my own energy/vibrations, telepathy with those I am close to, constant numerology and symbolism occuring in daily life, feeling energy from crystals, and seeing repetitive symbols when the eyes are closed that stretch beyond average hypnagogic visuals.

In short, Woo.
BlissBaby13 wrote:Friends of mine have claimed to see, feel or hear spirits, and the mother of one of my best friends frequently uses crystal therapy and animal telepathy to heal her horses. All times I've seen it happen, the vet cannot deduce what's wrong with the horse, but she utilized this 'telepathy' to restore the horse's health and discover the problem.

Do you believe in reincarnation, or otherwise a more Western aproach, ie: heaven/hell?
BlissBaby13 wrote:All times I've seen it happen, the vet cannot deduce what's wrong with the horse, but she utilized this 'telepathy' to restore the horse's health and discover the problem. I've had my eyes, ears and health checked numerous times throughout the process of 'spiritual awakening' and so if a problem resides, it must surely be a mental one.

With all due respect, of course it is a 'in-mind' situation. I am not calling you or your friends mad, simple self-deluded. People who claim they can use elements for downsing also fall in this category... You will surprised, how they sincerely believe their powers are real. Yet fact is, ultimately such powers do not exist. Similarly I believe you and your friends to fall in the same category... You honestly believe those powers as facts, yet I am sure if proper measures were taken they would not stand a test.
BlissBaby13 wrote:I do believe in 'God', or rather simply the creation of all by Spirit/Energy, but also believe that the power of that is invested in all things. The whole "God is within you" thing Jesus talks about.

Jesus Christ warned about such a thing, to be honest. Western religion portrays only and one God... Paraphrased: "Beware, for even Lucifer turns himself into an angel of light".
BlissBaby13 wrote:I don't consider myself to be someone who simply will take these spiritual interests at face value and simply not question them beforehand, however. I think that's something the majority of people highly misinterpret about 'spiritual types', that we use blind faith to compensate for a lack of intelligence or lack of male-brain orientated thinking.

As I stated with my comment regarding dowsing, I do not believe you (or many others for that matter) to be ignorant or in lack of intelligence. Very intelligent people, in fact, run the risk of succumbing to such ideas. Self-deception is, however, a very powerful vice. It is easy to begin, yet hard to end.
BlissBaby13 wrote:I only think as I do because I had experienced things that science didn't completely cover, and so desired to look into something that did not veer towards one or the other and would open my mind.

There are two posibilities in what regards to science not being able to explain it:
1] Lack of understanding. In short, there is not an answer currently because no-one understand the situation. An answer, an understanding, will be however eventually attained and as such. This is however perfectly acceptable phenomena.
2] It does not actually exists, ergo it is the product of belief.
BlissBaby13 wrote:I personally felt there was a lot to be desired with science.

Because it is completely dependant on facts we collate.
BlissBaby13 wrote:I personally felt there was a lot to be desired with science. Nowadays there seems to be the kind of mentality that if you are an athiest you are an athiest and nothing more, or that if you're Christian you cannot hold some Buddist views.

It is a very depending-on situation. Particularly, an Atheist means that you negate the existence of a Supreme God and any small god/goddess or saints/martyrs in the divine and/or it's equivalent unholy hierarchies. In those regards, an Atheist could, for example, still be a believer in spiritism...

However, a Christian that holds Buddhist beliefs is simply not a Christian. The Bible negates and overrides many Buddhist beliefs. Ergo you can not have both. The concept of Karma negates the concept of sin -- and vice versa.
BlissBaby13 wrote:I've had people ridicule me a lot for trying to mesh together science and spiritualism, stating they're polar opposites, but that's the exact reason I want to find the balance between the two.

Science depends on facts and empirical evidence. Spirituality depends on belief. Finding an intersection where the too elements agree upon is very, very hard to do. It is not impossible, but it is understandable why most people would dismiss such cooperation as not being possible.
BlissBaby13 wrote:^^ :heart: Namaste! :)

My regards.
"Spirituality" is a code word of sorts: "I have a confession to make — I believe in God! I'm so sorry!" - "Your 'science' cannot explain my transcendental experiences!" - "I'm a quack. Give me all your money."
User avatar
DRLHyper
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Spirit guides

Postby BlissBaby13 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:47 am

I do not mean that in the sense that every living being is 'a God', but essentially a facet of one Source, and one Divinity. I believe Jesus may have been referencing towards how the 'fallen angels' (or as New Agers sometimes call it) the participants of The Lucifer Experiment, who did not utilize the power of the Source that was already within them, but chose to sever themselves from this Source and hence fell into a heavily left-brain driven state of being. They drew energy and emotion from other beings and received enjoyment from the material, and were quite devoid of knowing how to love. They existed only to draw towards themselves material goods, which provided momentary happiness that quickly dissipated. There're many New Age theories stemming from that which I won't divulge into right now.
Your mention of the James Randi association is very interesting. I would obviously have to access the psychic in question to fully validate, but I'd probably say that they were highly turned off by being offered money, and would consider it an exploitation of their 'gifts' (if they were not a phony, that is) to simply accept such material gain. This contrasts to what I mentioned earlier about the highly left-brain victims of the Lucifer Experiment, if we just consider it hypothetically for a moment, and so I'd probably venture to say that they may even be wary of such a large piece of bait. There's the risk of being treated like a performing monkey even if they do succeed, and I know that I personally would never be inticed into such a stunt even if I claimed to be capable of, let's say, shifting the planets at will. From a right-brain oriented perspective, which the psychics is question most likely have, I would say it was a losing situation all round, and a winning one through and through for the James Randi association.
BlissBaby13
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Spirit guides

Postby DRLHyper » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:03 am

BlissBaby13 wrote:I do not mean that in the sense that every living being is 'a God', but essentially a facet of one Source, and one Divinity.

Please elaborate.

If you are stating that 'everyone has a piece of God between themselves', this is in fact already in accordance with Western and Eastern beliefs alike. Sans Buddhism which is Atheist at it's core, Hindus will completely agree, and so will many Christians.

However, if what you mean is that everyone is part of a single entity, then that is an entirely different story.
BlissBaby13 wrote:I believe Jesus may have been referencing towards how the 'fallen angels' (or as New Agers sometimes call it) the participants of The Lucifer Experiment, who did not utilize the power of the Source that was already within them, but chose to sever themselves from this Source and hence fell into a heavily left-brain driven state of being.

Not quite how that happened.

The fallen angels, according to Christianity/Islam/Judaism, fell because they challenged the Creator and sought to rise higher in the hierarchy. Lucifer/Satan himself, according to the Bible, stated that his throne will (paraphrasing, once again) 'be set upon the stars'.
BlissBaby13 wrote:They drew energy and emotion from other beings and received enjoyment from the material, and were quite devoid of knowing how to love. They existed only to draw towards themselves material goods, which provided momentary happiness that quickly dissipated. There're many New Age theories stemming from that which I won't divulge into right now.

That would cover the idea of the succubus, for example, but not tehe rest of the sins. Furthermore Christian texts state that Lucifer did not want material wealth, he wanted to govern the Creation as if it where his. In short, become a god himself.
BlissBaby13 wrote:Your mention of the James Randi association is very interesting. I would obviously have to access the psychic in question to fully validate, but I'd probably say that they were highly turned off by being offered money, and would consider it an exploitation of their 'gifts' (if they were not a phony, that is) to simply accept such material gain.

Science does not promote greed. People do. The monetary sum is merely a "reward/incentive" to encourage people with asserted supernatural powers to take the test.
BlissBaby13 wrote:This contrasts to what I mentioned earlier about the highly left-brain victims of the Lucifer Experiment, if we just consider it hypothetically for a moment, and so I'd probably venture to say that they may even be wary of such a large piece of bait.

TV 'Win a Million' shows are actually quite common around the entire globe. The only difference with this, is that it is not a contest but a test. You have a supernatural claim, and must prove it through cleverly designed tests.
BlissBaby13 wrote:There's the risk of being treated like a performing monkey even if they do succeed, and I know that I personally would never be inticed into such a stunt even if I claimed to be capable of, let's say, shifting the planets at will.

Scientists are not interested in performing shows, but in finding answers to unsolved riddles. Claim of supernatural elements exists all over the globe, as well. Many of them even go to shows and TV to assert it.

None of them however dare take scientific tests. Why is this? Do not they preffer knowledge to ignorance? Then why not further the progress of all and prove once and for all that psychs & etc. are true?
BlissBaby13 wrote:From a right-brain oriented perspective, which the psychics is question most likely have, I would say it was a losing situation all round, and a winning one through and through for the James Randi association.

The James Randi association already commited itself to be as truthful as possible. In short, they could not fake or lie. At least not without lossing credibility.
"Spirituality" is a code word of sorts: "I have a confession to make — I believe in God! I'm so sorry!" - "Your 'science' cannot explain my transcendental experiences!" - "I'm a quack. Give me all your money."
User avatar
DRLHyper
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Spirit guides

Postby CocoCraz123 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:20 pm

1. What are they?
They are Spirits that help you within your life.

2. How did you find yours?
I didn't find my Animal Spirit Guides, they found me because I was lost in a dream, they helped me get back on track. :)

3.What do they do for you?
When you ask them a question, they answer, it's not likely that they won't.

4. Why do you need one?
We need one to help us focus, to become whatever dreamer we want to be.
5. What does yours look like?
I have several. My Draco {Dragon} is going to be my new one. Look:
Dragon: Boy; light green body with light blue eyes and dark green scales; is named Draco; and is gentle, nice, and shy

Wolves: Girl and boy; girl is snowy white with light green eyes, is named Amber, and she is skilled and friendly; boy is dark black with red eyes, is named Jasper, and he is silent and also friendly

Dog: Boy; light brown with black eyes and cropped ears; is named Cortez (Curtis in English); and is loyal, a little bit humorous, and courageous

Cat: Boy; light orange with golden-brown eyes; is named Jose (Joseph in English); and is shy

Joseph isn't with me anymore, though I've only seen him once or twice, sneaking around... I've talked to him too...
I'm still trying to find Draco. He's going to be my Animal Spirit Guide. I just know it![/quote]
Don't be afraid to dream. Dreaming is an important part of our lives.
CocoCraz123
Dream Child
Dream Child
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:55 am

Re: Spirit guides

Postby energyfeeler » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:30 am

For me, communicating with my guides has been natural my whole life. But as i recently understood, it's not that way for everyone. So let me try to explaine it the way I see it.
Before you were bone, Your spirit was with your Creator and your Guides. Your Guides are spirits that were with you at the time of your creation, helping plan your journey upon the earth. You, Your Creator, and your "Spiritguides" make a plan and then you are sent to "be born".. Now throughout your life there will be times when you have to make a choice or decision. You have an option, and a conscience. I usually refered to my guides as my conscience, as I grew up. Because Your Guides will never tell you to do harm or something bad.
Now that I am an adult and more worldly, i have discovered that I can communicate with my guides . I know my guides and my guardian angels, and try to ask them for guidance every day all day, but sometimes i choose my own free will.
So for me, a very easy way to answer this question is.. Your Spiritguides are a source of information that you recieve that is NOT the norm for your choices. They never steer you to make a decision or choice that will bring harm to you or anyone else. Sometimes they steer you in the direction of a lesson, and that is part of the journey.. to find the lessons and the love in every situation
They come as colors, orbs, feathers, coins, a breeze, a feeling, a vibration.. it all stems from energy.. energy is the basis of life, so start there.. try to pick up on energy..
energyfeeler
DM Lurker
DM Lurker
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:06 am

Re: Spirit guides

Postby dream23 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:09 am

I believe in God, angels and demons, and that people continue to live spiritually after they die. Earlier someone posted that they believe everyone has a spirit guide, and my mom believes everyone has a guardian angel. But I just don't see any evidence to support either of these. It seems to me that a spirit guide is a person who has passed away that cares about you and want to help you make the right decisions in life. For example my aunt thinks her grandma is her spirit guide, and based off what she's told me it seems possible. But I don't believe I have a spirit guide--I've never felt or seen one or any evidence for it, but that doesn't mean I never will get one. It will probably be more likely when there are more people in my life who have known me and then passed away. Does that make sense? Am I alone in thinking this?
dream23
DM Lurker
DM Lurker
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:28 am

Re: Spirit guides

Postby Jesterking4 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:54 pm

spirit guides are spirits that have been threw what we go through and it is normal to have one or two ... and even have several who are only their for a shot period of time to help you learn or lead you to a place you need to be. i dont know the name of my guides i just know my main one is an eagle that flies by me and protects me when i cant protect myself which isnt often. you always have at least one with you ... their kinda like spirits that take a job to teach you as you live... some are their full time but the others are like part time and show up for a short period before leaving, some of your spirit guides are changing constantly, if you do bad things then your spirit guides will change to bad spirits trying to help you achieve this same if you do good you have good ones that apply... uhm but you will always have one that will never leave .... their is also a plane called your higher self this is your spirit in it true most purest form being able to communicate with your true self allows you to be stronger and get through life easier in a way.
Jesterking4
DM Lurker
DM Lurker
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:21 am

Re: Spirit guides

Postby St. Dymphna » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:48 am

Live; die; don't move on; come back and help other people die. Such is the existence of a spirit guide.
Okay.
User avatar
St. Dymphna
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1198
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:27 am
Location: Texas

Re: Spirit guides

Postby LadyVanHelsing » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:54 pm

Nostalgic wrote:How do you know it's real and not imagination? This is not a sarcastic question as I am interested in understanding it.


In my research and experience, people often say not to worry about whether it's your imagination. Every thought has some reality behind it. And if you're worried about your spirit guide being your own mind, take it slow and steady.
Veritas nunc non sub rosa...
LadyVanHelsing
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:41 am
Location: Underneath the Paris Opera House ;)

Re: Spirit guides

Postby DRLHyper » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm

LadyVanHelsing wrote:
Nostalgic wrote:How do you know it's real and not imagination? This is not a sarcastic question as I am interested in understanding it.


In my research and experience, people often say not to worry about whether it's your imagination. Every thought has some reality behind it. And if you're worried about your spirit guide being your own mind, take it slow and steady.

That does not remove the imagination factor at all.
"Spirituality" is a code word of sorts: "I have a confession to make — I believe in God! I'm so sorry!" - "Your 'science' cannot explain my transcendental experiences!" - "I'm a quack. Give me all your money."
User avatar
DRLHyper
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Spirit guides

Postby LadyVanHelsing » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:33 pm

DRLHyper wrote:
LadyVanHelsing wrote:
Nostalgic wrote:How do you know it's real and not imagination? This is not a sarcastic question as I am interested in understanding it.


In my research and experience, people often say not to worry about whether it's your imagination. Every thought has some reality behind it. And if you're worried about your spirit guide being your own mind, take it slow and steady.

That does not remove the imagination factor at all.


It is a bit ambiguous, I admit it. I'm just talking more from my research on the subject, since my experience has been little; I too worry about the same thing.
Veritas nunc non sub rosa...
LadyVanHelsing
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:41 am
Location: Underneath the Paris Opera House ;)

Re: Spirit guides

Postby DRLHyper » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:03 am

LadyVanHelsing wrote:It is a bit ambiguous, I admit it. I'm just talking more from my research on the subject, since my experience has been little; I too worry about the same thing.

I understand.

The reason I do not believe in spirit guides is [besides from not believing in spirituality] precisely due that fact. A few years ago the idea of a spirit guide (or any spirit for that matter) was very appealling to me. However, the more I tried, the more I realized I was being tricked by my own imagination. So to speak, simple moments (like noticing a certain symbol or item on the street) became 'messages'.

However, when I stood to think about the issue, it became clear that what I was experiencing was a mixture of wishful thinking (I wanted those simple moments to be messages) and, precisely, my own imagination.

If something as simple as a divised item on the street can be classified as a message from a spirit guide -- what about more imaginative methods? In dreams you can see (and even interact with) animals, people, mythical creatures... An meditation, a form of self-hypnosis, is certianly a good way to deceive oneself.
"Spirituality" is a code word of sorts: "I have a confession to make — I believe in God! I'm so sorry!" - "Your 'science' cannot explain my transcendental experiences!" - "I'm a quack. Give me all your money."
User avatar
DRLHyper
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Spirit guides

Postby Nostalgic » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:26 am

I beleive it's imagination, imagination so strong it's real to those who beleive.
My next question would be, is having such a huge imagination such a bad thing.
For those who beleive they have real sprit guides, it only helps them right?
Image Image
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith
 
Posts: 8208
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Spirit guides

Postby DRLHyper » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:04 pm

Nostalgic wrote:I beleive it's imagination, imagination so strong it's real to those who beleive.
My next question would be, is having such a huge imagination such a bad thing.
For those who beleive they have real sprit guides, it only helps them right?

If I have such a strong imagination I see a bridge where there is none, and still proceed ahead...

Do I still get hurt? Depends on the circumstances, certainly. But if we are speaking in a high-rise building or a river, then the answer is yes.
"Spirituality" is a code word of sorts: "I have a confession to make — I believe in God! I'm so sorry!" - "Your 'science' cannot explain my transcendental experiences!" - "I'm a quack. Give me all your money."
User avatar
DRLHyper
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Spirit guides

Postby Nostalgic » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:41 am

Good point. I'm sure it's happened to some with strong imaginations for sure.
Why I've never done hard drugs, I'm worried I would think something like that and beleive it enough to do it.

I guess beleiving to strongly in guides could affect your choices you make and your imagination would rule you in a way?

Reminds of metalica - sad but true.
"open your eyes, I'm you"
Image Image
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith
 
Posts: 8208
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Spirit guides

Postby DRLHyper » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Technically speaking, it would seem to be that case, yes.

A good imagination is not a bad thing; how that imagination is used, however, is another entirely different thing...

I can write a thriller about an international band of thieves, or aliens; or I can believe they come every night to my house and steal juice from the refrigerator. The first leads could lead to very interesting writer carrer, while the second is likely is to lead to potentially dangerous delusions -- what if I then believe my family if working with them, for example, and I need to 'take action'...?
"Spirituality" is a code word of sorts: "I have a confession to make — I believe in God! I'm so sorry!" - "Your 'science' cannot explain my transcendental experiences!" - "I'm a quack. Give me all your money."
User avatar
DRLHyper
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Spirit guides

Postby Nostalgic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:33 am

It is important to make the difference.
I lack imagination in general so I'm safe from aliens stealing my juice lol

Imagination that leads to delusions is more a mental health issue where being an imaginitive writer is a talent, I don't think they are connected in any way are they?
Image Image
Nostalgic
Mord-Sith
Mord-Sith
 
Posts: 8208
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Spirit guides

Postby DRLHyper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:06 pm

Nostalgic wrote:It is important to make the difference.
I lack imagination in general so I'm safe from aliens stealing my juice lol

I supose. Just be careful that sometimes delusions are not so explicits. They are delusions because, well, they are believed.
Nostalgic wrote:IImagination that leads to delusions is more a mental health issue where being an imaginitive writer is a talent, I don't think they are connected in any way are they?

The problem here is belief. If you believe something, you may be able to, in your own perception of reality, experience it. If you believe that UFOs abduct people, then something as simple as a dream about such a situation could be mistake for reality. Add to that several circumstancial situation (for example, waking up with a headache, very thirsty, etc.) and you could believe that such things are due to the 'alien experiments', so to speak.
"Spirituality" is a code word of sorts: "I have a confession to make — I believe in God! I'm so sorry!" - "Your 'science' cannot explain my transcendental experiences!" - "I'm a quack. Give me all your money."
User avatar
DRLHyper
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

spirits of family and friends

Postby celestinecv » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:17 am

I had a dream a couple of weeks ago that has touched me deeply. Anyone. I was standing in line with some unknown people waiting on my turn when I got to the front it was a board of priest sitting around a table and advised me "My time has come" I was then guided by my deceased cousin and he was explaining how judgement was for me. At first there was so many bad things going on and I was truly frightened but my cousin assured me it was okay. As we continued walking we came to this pasture where all the people that I have encountered in my life that has past away was there greeting and assuring me everything was okay. I woke up feeling a sense of peace and serenity.

Since that time I have had several dreams night after night that involves people from my life that have past away all assuring me its okay. I am a police officer and currently out on personal illness for myself. I am being tested for lymph node cancer and am having seizures. I am wondering if these visits are guides to this life or the "other side". What would you say?
celestinecv
DM Lurker
DM Lurker
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:54 am

Re: spirits of family and friends

Postby DRLHyper » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:02 pm

celestinecv wrote:I had a dream a couple of weeks ago that has touched me deeply. Anyone. I was standing in line with some unknown people waiting on my turn when I got to the front it was a board of priest sitting around a table and advised me "My time has come" I was then guided by my deceased cousin and he was explaining how judgement was for me. At first there was so many bad things going on and I was truly frightened but my cousin assured me it was okay. As we continued walking we came to this pasture where all the people that I have encountered in my life that has past away was there greeting and assuring me everything was okay. I woke up feeling a sense of peace and serenity.

Would you mind explaining how was your relationship with the people that appeared in your dreams?

And, are you quite religious yourself?
celestinecv wrote:Since that time I have had several dreams night after night that involves people from my life that have past away all assuring me its okay. I am a police officer and currently out on personal illness for myself. I am being tested for lymph node cancer and am having seizures. I am wondering if these visits are guides to this life or the "other side". What would you say?

Dreams tend to be about oneself. This is why it is important to listen to them -- if you dream something, then there is something your subconscious mind is trying to tel you.
"Spirituality" is a code word of sorts: "I have a confession to make — I believe in God! I'm so sorry!" - "Your 'science' cannot explain my transcendental experiences!" - "I'm a quack. Give me all your money."
User avatar
DRLHyper
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Previous

Return to Spirituality And Religious Beliefs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Shared Bottom Border