Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

How to pass a math exam when you SUCK at math?

Got something on your mind? Get it off your chest! Talk about anything here...well almost anything.

How to pass a math exam when you SUCK at math?

Postby dreamerseeker » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:02 am

I am in the process of becoming a licensed general science teacher in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania.

The problem is, before I can be licensed, I have to pass the Praxis Core Math exam. How can I pass it? Math is my absolute worst subject. All throughout my school days, I've always had an 'F' in all things math. Don't get me wrong I do know basic math, but I cannot understand algebraic equations containing letters, I can't understand statistics, I can't understand word problems containing more than 3 numbers in the problem, or any math beyond a (perhaps) 3rd-grade level.

No matter how much studying I do, tutoring, I cannot pass the math subject. How do I pass the core math exam?

Should I just give up my dream of becoming a science teacher? Science is my BEST subject, but like I said, I can't become a licensed science teacher until I pass the required math exam. I cannot understand math for the life of me. Why do I need to take a math exam when I want to be a general SCIENCE teacher? :x

Be gentle if you leave a reply, please.... Yes, I admit I am a math retard. But passing a math exam is required for getting licensed to teach here in the U.S.
dreamerseeker
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Re: How to pass a math exam when you SUCK at math?

Postby VenusInChains » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:58 pm

Find a tutor???
Oh well
Whatever
Never mind
VenusInChains
Out Of This World
Out Of This World

Postby dreamerseeker » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:33 am

VenusInChains wrote:Find a tutor???

Do you read? I mentioned tutoring.
dreamerseeker
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby VenusInChains » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:49 am

I tend to skim read when I use my phone, so I apparently missed that. Math goes hand and hand with science, so I don’t know what to say aside from studying and tutoring. Do you find algebra boring?
Oh well
Whatever
Never mind
VenusInChains
Out Of This World
Out Of This World

Postby dreamerseeker » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:27 am

No, I don't find algebra boring, just frustrating because I can't understand it for the life of me. True, math does go hand-in-hand with science, but not always. I want to be a general science teacher (earth, environmental, etc.), so, really all I would have to do is teach students about the earth, make them read a textbook, watch videos, take notes, etc. I wouldn't have to teach them any math.

I had an 'Earth and Space' teacher in 9th grade (year 9) who would only make us read a chapter of our textbook then made us answer the questions that followed at the end of that chapter. That was literally all we students did. The teacher himself did not teach us a single thing all year.

Anyways, thanks for trying to help.
dreamerseeker
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby VenusInChains » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:59 pm

If you are to become a science teacher, then you would be required to follow a curriculum. What’s your game plan if zyou need to teach children to apply maths?

Science in high school for me had a lot of maths involved. All our assessments involved making observations, recording results and creating graphs and statistics. Your science teacher sounds lazy.
Oh well
Whatever
Never mind
VenusInChains
Out Of This World
Out Of This World

Postby aussie_musician » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:20 pm

ok .. so you know basic maths ..

what about building on that knowledge .. and steadily increase your math ability ???

one way to improve your knowledge of stats .. is to follow sports ..

sports are stats mad ..

what is the structre of the Praxis Core Math Exam like ???
WWJD.
Nehemiah 8:10 The Joy Of The Lord.
Ecclesiastes 3: 1-11 The Seasons Of Life.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life" - Jesus.
aussie_musician
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Location: Newcastle, New South Wales, The East Coast Of Australia, Southern Hemisphere ..

Postby Xwikki » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Math and science pretty much go hand in hand and it sucks. I'm pretty much only doing it for the career prospects being wider in chemistry/biomed than biology. I don't know how to pass the exam besides studying for it. A lot. Eventually it'll stick.
Xwikki
Dream Moods Queen 2011 - Going Dark
Dream Moods Queen 2011 - Going Dark

Postby manda3d » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:48 am

The intuitive mind is another type of intelligence, it's like an invisible dream, it's called intuition.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I'm sorry, I stopped the thread, I deleted my previous post but I re-posted. ... I'm sad.
manda3d
Part Time Dreamer
Part Time Dreamer

Return to Rant And Rave