Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

 

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and more

Discuss sleep problems, insomnia, sleeping aids/medications, sleep apnea and tips on a better night's sleep. Do you or your mate snore? Do you sleep walk or sleep talk? Do you grind your teeth? Talk about your experiences here.

insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and more

Postby BrooksWindow » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:27 am

We spend more than 200,000 hours sleeping in a lifetime, the equivalent of more than 8,000 days, yet research has only begun to decode the mysteries behind what really happens when we sleep---
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:52 pm

When good sleep goes bad...
Imagine losing your kids because you can't get out of bed. You have such trouble forcing yourself up in the morning that you set several alarm clocks, yet when someone does wake you ,You fly into a rage and do your best to sneak back into bed because you're still exhausted.
You can't keep a job because you constantly oversleep. You don't hear your baby crying, even though people assure you that every mother instinct instinctively tunes in on the sound of her own baby's cries. For some it's gotten so bad that they have to lock their children in their rooms so they can't harm themselves while you're sleeping, And what's worse because you can't seem to get out of bed before noon, You're children have been imprisoned for 16 hours a day. And you have to live with the fact Child Services could rightfully take them away from you at any moment. This happened to someone I know, And something needed to change
She wasn't lazy, or uncaring, despite what most people thought. She was suffering from a sleep disorder known as Severe morning sleep inertia, A very real condition that can wreak havoc on a person's life. In fact there are many sleep disorders that can be life- threatening to the sufferers or to those around them.
Sleep disorders are known as Parasomnias which is an undesirable physical or emotional events that accompany sleep occurring during entry into sleep, Within sleep, or during arousals from sleep. People have suffered for so long from these disorders and they are now finally starting to understand, classify and treat these disorders. The progress that is being made is astounding
There are 12 core categories of parasomnias currently identified in ICSD-2-The International Classification of Sleep Disorder
Among ages 15 to 65 years, at least 4% sleepwalk, at least 2% have sleep terrors, 10 % have restless leg syndrome (RLS) at least 2% have sleep eating disorder, and 2% have sleep related violence. Putting this all into perspective, we're talking about 16 million people in the united states alone who become violent in their sleep and 8 million sleepwalk .
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:08 pm

Unlike what people would assume, a parasomnia- even a violent sleep disorder typically does not signify that a person has psychiatric condition while awake.
Those who exhibit violence during sleep or scream and swear, masturbate, or eat, or wonder into the hallway in their underwear while asleep, generally have no more psychological disorder than those who sleep peacefully. in most cases , the problem is strictly a faulty sleep mechanism.
Because of remarkable advances in diognostics and treatment, most disorders can be treated successfully .
My Friend's life transformed overnight once she was diagnosed and treated she was able to be a mother again !
I have read so many stories- from a woman binge eating in her sleep awoke and found she had chopped up her cat on the cutting board.
a man who nightly left his wife black and blue because he acted out his violent dreams.
In my case I also have sleep disorder that almost took my life surely effected my loved ones, and changed every aspect of my life
So you could say I have this need to know what happens to my body and mind when I go to sleep.
And why and how is it possible to be awake and suddenly wake up! There are hundreds of times that I had driven home from a friends (she lives 45 miles from me)
and woke up as the garage door closed behind me.......how is that even possible to drive a 45 mile drive through traffic , stop lights, .. completely asleep!
That is what nearly killed me, driving home I fell asleep went off the road into a low ditch at 70 mph. at this point the front end smashed into me trapping my feet and legs in the twisted metal the grill was in my lap, Then the car flew 27 feet in the air over 2 driveways ( one had a collector hot rod in it) ''whew' , but I did sheer two trees in half, brought the root ball up with one of them bringing the tree the car and myself to rest in the front yard of a home, I cannot recall anything that happened I heard glass breaking that's all..........The rescue was something they told me,
jaws of life, saws, helicopters it took 3 hours to get me out, they said I spoke to them, I told them not to worry about me because I was ok, I was just dreaming!
I had slammed down onto my stick shift shattering 4 vertibrea, punctured my lungs, my feet and ankles were twisted around backwards and upside down
they also were completely shattered. I was in a coma and had 5 surgeries. While in this coma I experienced happenings I will call them, and maybe at another time will talk about that. when I was awake and found out what had happened and it was just the beginning of the worst. I was told I would never walk again, and my husband divorced me taking along with him my children, my home, my life, my identity! All because of narcolepsy. Don't wait another day if you have experienced this while driving Please have a sleep study done!
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:08 pm

Obstructive sleep apnea is by far the most common reason people are studied overnight in a sleep lab, It's a pretty scary-sounding problem for it to qualify as OSA, a person must stop breathing for at least 10 seconds a minimum of 5 times per hour throughout the night. Yet this is not a deadly problem by itself. why?
When you fall asleep, the muscles around your upper airway relax which narrows down the respiratory passages, and for most people that is that is fine your upper airway will remain open enough to allow air to pass through to the lungs and back out again. However if your respiratory passage collapse and become too constricted during sleep, the airflow stops completely, most times with sleep apnea, your breathing will stop for 10 to 30 seconds or over a minute. your blood oxygen level will likely decline as you cease to breathe. But the problem is easily solved as the brain sounds an alarm - triggers arousal- forcing you to wake up, jolting the upper airway to open up and allow proper breathing again. you stay alive. and then it starts all over again as sleep resumes. So if this is happening all night 50 to 100 arousals per hour, this major disruption of sleep has consequences, such as chronic sleep deprivation excessive daytime sleepiness
most people are not aware of these obstructive episodes at all, many find out from a spouse who has witnessed the chocking or gasping sounds or the long lapses in breathing, or who most often complains of the loud snoring. Typically a person with OSA is a loud snorer. Life can become very dangerous for the sufferer ,
Studies have shown patients experience daytime sleepiness and fatigue, and perform poorly in comparison. Not only is their ability to remain awake in monotonous situations the ability to focus and maintain attention is effected also. Excessive sleepiness is the root of many major vehicle accidents and workplace accidents. OSA also puts people at a higher risk for depression, tests show long term heart consequences, cardiac arrhythmias, pulmonary hypertension, myocardial infarction, congestive heart failure.
Testing for OSA
you will need to be referred by your doctor to a sleep clinic lab overnight for some the next day also for nap tests also
non of the monitoring is invasive and will not cause pain or discomfort .
you will be watched continually your breathing patterns , the effort you make to breathe , if you are making an effort to breath then you have obstructive sleep apnea, in most cases lifestyle changes wont correct OSA you will need some kind of medical intervention.
Most commonly recommended and most effective non surgical is a CPAP machine
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Freya_Nightmist » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:32 pm

Wow all these happenings.. Suddenly make me want to become a sleep doctor not sure if Im qualified..
Free will is but an illusion, Do not pursue such poison!
Profile picture: Drawn by me
Reference: Crophecy's Maria Clara Deviantart
User avatar
Freya_Nightmist
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 am
Location: Land Of Pastel colors

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Sauron » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:27 am

Freya_Nightmist wrote:Wow all these happenings.. Suddenly make me want to become a sleep doctor not sure if Im qualified..

You are too young to be one now
User avatar
Sauron
The Dark Lord
The Dark Lord
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:27 am
Location: Valinor

Re:when sleep goes bad

Postby BrooksWindow » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:41 am

lol.......I just thought I would share some information on some subjects of sleep disorders,
do you think it is a worthy discussion? or not interesting and I should tip toe out quietly? :D
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:43 am

Night Terrors......

A Piercing scream erupts in the darkness, a mother stumbles out of bed and rushes to her child's room, Is he sick? Is he hurt?
What's wrong? she asks while turning on the light, but he dosent seem to notice she's there. He just screams, flails around, eyes huge full of fear
Grabbing his shoulders and shaking him just seems to agitate him more. It's like he is seeing something in his room that isint there, and he dosent recognize his mother
just seems to be gazing right thru her, which freaks her out.. WAKE UP! WAKE UP! ITS OK NOTHING IS HAPPENING TO YOU! but nothing seems to get through to him.
he bolts out of bed towards the door sweating and breathing way to fast, he is much stronger than usual, then suddenly whipped into a screaming frenzy after about 10 torturous minutes the mom's sure he is going to have a heart attack and she's going to have a breakdown......she slowly hugs him and picks him up and is able to put him back to bed, and he quietly returns to sleep. In the morning remembers nothing about the night, but is tired, and so is mom who had a hard time returning to sleep after seeing her son go through this horrible episode. this did not look like a normal nightmare she thinks----and she's right, her son had sleep terror .
Although most people believe that sleep terrors are just really bad nightmares, that is not so, sleep terrors are completely distinct from nightmares. they happen during the slow-wave sleep(NREM stages 3 and 4 ) mostly in the first half of the night, whereas nightmares occur during REM sleep mostly in the second half of the night. if you wake up from a nightmare you'll probably remember it vividly or at least parts of it. but people don't remember anything about a sleep terror, if they do, it's a vague sense of fright or hazy image of something chasing them, or of something frightening in the room

Sleep terrors are fairly common in children ages 3-12 and may continue into adulthood, and continue all through life
there's normally a theme to the behavior: fight or flight, that's it those with sleep terrors have an intense motivation to escape or an impulse to 'fight back' against what's after them. they may punch through walls , jump through windows, forcefully drag someone out of bed( as to save them also from the imaginary attack) or hurt someone mistaken for the attacker...they may throw things, create barricades ...A quiet gentle person may become violent in sleep and a strong person may hide and cry like a baby....It is important to note that psychopathology rarely plays a causative role in most sleep walking and sleep terror cases, there is no underlying affliction causing the disorder.
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Freya_Nightmist » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:39 am

Too Human wrote:
Freya_Nightmist wrote:Wow all these happenings.. Suddenly make me want to become a sleep doctor not sure if Im qualified..

You are too young to be one now


-.-'"" Yeah, and I have a lot of time to think of it more
Free will is but an illusion, Do not pursue such poison!
Profile picture: Drawn by me
Reference: Crophecy's Maria Clara Deviantart
User avatar
Freya_Nightmist
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 am
Location: Land Of Pastel colors

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:56 am

adults suffering from this sleep disorder don't seek help until something has happened they cannot live with any longer , as in hurting a sleeping bed partner, or sleep walking into situations that can become a legal problem. sleep terrors can be triggered by stress and sleep deprivation, it is noted that a full bladder may trigger sleep terrors in children, in women in conjunction with their menstrual cycles. a 17 year old woman who had normal sleep patterns until she was 11 when her menses would begin she would sleep-talk and shout. the second night she would scream loudly. on the 3 and 4th nights she'd scream while sleepwalking and running often knocking over furniture and attempting to escape through windows, and she often injured herself......
A 46 year old woman experienced sleep terrors 5 or 6 days before her menstrual cycle also, she would sense a presence in the room with her feel the walls collapsing around her, she'd scream and bolt out of bed often injuring herself. she had no current or prior psychiatric disorder.
Often during sleep terrors, people experience amazing feats of strength and speed. Often family members are afraid to get close to the person having a terror episode, because they are not sure they could fight off the super strong person if they should attack, many have witnessed often state that the person ''leaps'' or ''flies'' out of bed with terrific speed. the key thing to remember about sleep terrors are they are they are typically not dangerous to a persons health( aside from injuries from sleepwalking ) children do typically out grow them they are not related to psychiatric conditions and they can be treated if severe, Resist the urge to shake or yell at someone who is in the midst of a sleep terror episode, it will agitate them and lead to a prolonged attack,, speak calming words( you're safe Everything is ok, you can go back to bed now) keep in mind most people do not remember anything and it is most stressing to the bed partner or parent .



sleep paralysis........what is sleep paralysis, it is a period of head to toe immobility, except for the eyes, lasting longer then 5 minutes. those struck by SP find their breathing more labored, some don't think they are breathing at all. they experience fear, this feeling enhanced by the inability to command their limbs to move, franticly try to breathe and cant. the feeling something or someone is in the room ---often mythically characterized as old hags, incubi, succubi, or other such supernatural creatures, interpreted as something scary that may want to suffocate them these hallucinations take place during the transition from wakefulness to sleep or from sleep to wakefulness. a feeling of floating out of body experience, buzzing sounds, sleep paralysis is probably the most fantastic and lore ridden of all parasomnias

to be continued
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:03 am

have you had these happen to you ?
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: Re:when sleep goes bad

Postby Freya_Nightmist » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:08 am

BrooksWindow wrote:lol.......I just thought I would share some information on some subjects of sleep disorders,
do you think it is a worthy discussion? or not interesting and I should tip toe out quietly? :D

NO CERTAINLY NOT, I FIND THEM INTERESTING, please, do tell me more :eat:

Note: NEVER try to wake someone up when they're sleep walking, THEY MIGHT KILL YOU, btw, let's take it slow brooks, just type in the stories of people about these sleep problems and try not to post a story that is really terrifying .. I sleep walked once ..? Thought it was great but not anymore since I know its dangers, some dude died in an accident because he was sleep walking while walking across the street. :creeping: Got really worried after that so .. yeah :cry: adolescence to him ...
Free will is but an illusion, Do not pursue such poison!
Profile picture: Drawn by me
Reference: Crophecy's Maria Clara Deviantart
User avatar
Freya_Nightmist
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 am
Location: Land Of Pastel colors

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Sauron » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:02 am

BrooksWindow wrote:Night Terrors......

A Piercing scream erupts in the darkness

Yeah, I've quite a few of those encounters. Laying in bed and suddenly a scream, and I live alone.
User avatar
Sauron
The Dark Lord
The Dark Lord
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:27 am
Location: Valinor

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Too Human wrote:
BrooksWindow wrote:Night Terrors......

A Piercing scream erupts in the darkness

Yeah, I've quite a few of those encounters. Laying in bed and suddenly a scream, and I live alone.

really?? that's would be unnerving to say the least
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: Re:when sleep goes bad

Postby BrooksWindow » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Freya_Nightmist wrote:
BrooksWindow wrote:lol.......I just thought I would share some information on some subjects of sleep disorders,
do you think it is a worthy discussion? or not interesting and I should tip toe out quietly? :D

NO CERTAINLY NOT, I FIND THEM INTERESTING, please, do tell me more :eat:

Note: NEVER try to wake someone up when they're sleep walking, THEY MIGHT KILL YOU, btw, let's take it slow brooks, just type in the stories of people about these sleep problems and try not to post a story that is really terrifying .. I sleep walked once ..? Thought it was great but not anymore since I know its dangers, some dude died in an accident because he was sleep walking while walking across the street. :creeping: Got really worried after that so .. yeah :cry: adolescence to him ...

.....sorry if I scared you! but I guess that's the reason I am posting this is because it is very dangerous and for many very terrifying but mostly I want them to know they are not crazy or going nuts at all they need to see a specialist and these crippling afflictions can be lifted
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:28 pm

Hypersomnia.......
hypersomnia is a disorder in which sufferers have frequent excessive daytime sleepiness that isint attributed to lack of sleep or sleep disruptions.
daytime sleepiness when they constantly sleep longer than normal at night.
A person with excessive daytime sleepiness will feel the strong urge to sleep at inappropriate times- like at work , school, driving a car, or in the middle of a conversation or activity- despite getting a normal nights sleep.
Do you ever feel that '' It's hard work to stay awake'' .....The most common cause of hypersomnia is a rebound effect from intentional sleep deprivation due to work related and social commitments most people have these days.
We get 20 % less sleep then previous generations and there is no evidence that our needs are less.
Non-intentional sleep deprivation is almost always due to an underlying sleep disorder most commonly sleep apnea and narcolepsy.
As with insomnia , but to a lesser extent, depression is a major cause of hypersomnia. People who are clinically depressed may sleep too long or too little
which makes sleep a fascinating barometer of a persons mood.
Along sleeper is someone who constantly sleeps more than other people in their age group. their are other factors to cause long sleep such as weather , illness
They have been studying the differences of long sleepers and short sleepers ...Long sleepers who wake and perform normal if able to sleep their pattern, but when they limit their sleep to the most common wake time they experience daytime sleepiness, Doctors have prescribed medications for this but it had no effect, however allowed to sleep the extra hours they always have done was the 'cure'. so now these people will have to adjust their lives accordingly and play with the sleep cards that nature dealt to them. Long sleepers also may be self conscious that others perceive them as lazy or may feel that they can't get enough done during the day.
short sleepers are on the other end off the spectrum, generally requiring 5 hours of sleep or less, they are very effective sleepers short sleepers don't report any impairment in daytime functioning or mood, they don't purposely restrict their sleep- they just normally wake after a short period of time.
Although a short sleeper at times may worry about dying prematurely wearing out their system from too little sleep ..However as long as a person shows no adverse effects from having short sleep time there is no cause for concern of a shortened life span.....

Narcolepsy is a condition in which the barriers between sleep and wakefulness become repeatedly blurred, Imagine this: You're sitting in a class, jotting down lecture notes, a few minutes later you open your eyes, and you think, ''did I fall asleep?'' you notice you written several lines of scribbles, you try to force yourself to keep your eyes open......or you're driving, suddenly you open your eyes and you are at your destination with no memory of the drive at all...or worse, you wake up as you are headed towards the center median of the freeway you panic overcorrect the steering and find yourself spinning helplessly among lanes of rush hour traffic...that has happened to me several times and it is the scariest thing I have lived to talk about.
Your sleepy most of the time, even though you sleep at least 7 to 8 hours a night. You have a strong urge to fall sleep while standing up, or while shopping, or at a stoplight while driving ..you often pull over to the side of the road to close your eyes for awhile.
Imagine You go out to dinner with some friends and someone tells a joke, you laugh- and lose your muscle control. your head drops down, your eyelids droop,
your slumped down in your chair with your jaw hanging open. your friends think your kidding around, but you cant control it, you're alert, but unable to move or talk, a few minutes later you regain muscle tone, and brush it off, wishing they would find something else to joke about. That night within minutes of laying down, you begin hallucinating, you hear voices that seem to be in the room, yet muffled. It feels intensely real, even though your not sure exactly whats going on.
But Its terrifying ! the next morning when you wake up your body is paralyzed. you are completely awake but you cannot move or call out..and you feel there is a presence in the room holding you down, this may be brief or it may last awhile..' Am i going to die? ''am i dying ;;?
the list of misdiagnoses is staggering. sufferes and doctors alike may believe its a stroke ,multiple sclerosis , panic attacks, schizophrenia , a thyroid condition.........Narcolepsy is uncommon enough that much of the medical community does not understand it, yet common enough that they should! here are some stories of people who suffer Narcolepsy....
a mother who with a long term standing sleep eating disorder history awoke one morning to find she had chopped up her cat on the cutting board.

Another woman cooked an entire meal for dinner guests set the table and even got herself all dressed for the party and when the guests dident arrive she was very upset, even more upsetting when she woke up to see what she had done while sleeping, she could have burned down her house along with a host of other things.

A mother watching her son farming the crops from her porch was concerned as she watched her son drive his tractor toward the busy highway , he seemed to be zig zagging across the field he did cross the highway just seconds later a 18 wheeler sped past him. he was very lucky.

Sufferers have troubles staying awake even in active events, Narcolepsy causes a person to fall asleep very fast, they may also experience 'micro-sleeps' moments of sleep when the person is not aware they are sleeping. it is common for someone to complete tasks during the day, carry on conversations with others all while being asleep.
Cataplexy, cataplexy is a sudden loss of muscle tone during wakefulness triggered by a strong emotion. A cataplectic attack may be brought on by laughter, fright, anger or shock, sadness or running even sexual activity,....Although not all people with narcolepsy have cataplexy,However when it is present its very telling and very obvious.
Mild Cataplexy includes the feeling of weakness in the knees the sagging muscles in the face, head droops down, speach may become slurred.
Severe Cataplexy effects all muscles and cause the person to fall to the ground without warning, ofton hurting themselves and others around them, and that can easily be mistaken for a seizure but the main difference is afterward those with cataplexy can express a complete memory and an awareness of their surroundings- they were alert the whole time, just unable to move . about 70 % of narcoleptics experience cataplexy.
Those with narcolepsy have unusual sleep architecture: they tend to move very rapidly into REM sleep within minutes of falling asleep, and often right away begin dreaming these sleep onset dreams can be hard to differ from reality. These dreamlike experiences may be vague and involve only one sense: sight or sound.
They may be scary, or just odd but not disturbing. When they occur during the transition from wakefulness to sleep, they're called hypnagogic hallucinations; when they occur from sleep to wakefulness, they're called hypnopompic hallucinations. These events can involve misperceiving the objects in the room, such as seeing shadow people.
Sleep paralysis can also happen in transition stages from sleep to wakefulness and vice versa, this is a time when the brain is awake, but the body is not
sleep paralysis may be accompanied by hallucinations as well, a feeling of doom and panic. often sufferers describe feeling as if an evil presence is sitting on their chests, suffocating them. the paralysis usually effects the entire body.
patients describe trying to call out for help but being unable to make a noise, some feel an ''out of body'' sensation or a feeling a levitating.
Narcolepsy has REM dysfunction. sleep onset REM attacks with vivid dreaming are common..
Until Narcolepsy is under control sufferers shouldn't drive...it is not uncommon for someone to be unaware of how they got home and they were at the wheel, or changed lanes in a drifting fashion, and wake up just before hitting another car. or not being able to stay awake despite turning up the radio, opening windows ,or even having someone in the car with them talking to them. these are dangerous automatic behaviors they :chatter: obviously pose major danger to the person with narcolepsy and anyone else who happens to be on the road. :yikes
Last edited by BrooksWindow on Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Freya_Nightmist » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:51 am

Will you tell me a disorder wherein the person has a hard time breathing or hard time keeping his/her breathing normal again..?
Free will is but an illusion, Do not pursue such poison!
Profile picture: Drawn by me
Reference: Crophecy's Maria Clara Deviantart
User avatar
Freya_Nightmist
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 am
Location: Land Of Pastel colors

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:43 am

That is called obstructive Sleep Apnea...If you suspect you have OSA (obstructive sleep apnea) you will need to be evaluated by a sleep professional and then be monitored in a sleep lab overnight ... the testings are non- invasive ( no needles) just sticky pads on your skin with wires hooked to them that monitor every breath, every twitch , every stage of sleep you enter if your dreaming...its very cool actually , i have done several , piece a cake!!
symptoms of OSA are: snoring(very loud) - gasping or chocking -labored breathing- snorting sounds- repeated cessation of breathing during sleep-unrefreshed sleep or daytime sleepiness-dry mouth after sleep- depression , irritability-impaired concentration, and or memory trouble- high blood pressure.
The repeated lack of breathing you end up with low oxygen level, and because people are waking up hundreds of times in the night the sleep then is fragmented, all this is happening to you but you dont know it. This is the story of Dave, A 38 year old man came in with 1 year history of depression that he could attribute only to ''not being able to complete my tasks at work and home because of poor attention and sleepiness''. He also reported being a snorer and was confirmed by his wife. He had been seeing a shrink for depression. The Doctor ordered a sleep study overnight in a lab that documented obstructive sleep apnea with 32 epniec events per hour and lack of delta NREM sleep, with only mild decrease in oxygen tension, all which responded fully with a c-pap machine...a week after using his machine at home the depression lifted and regained full attention span and was no longer sleepy during the day, and best of all he no longer is taking anti depression medications. When they spoke of 32 epnic events, that means he stopped breathing 32 times an hour......so if you add up 32 x 8 hour sleep cycle= you get the point thats robbing your body its needs for oxygen and sleep,and' deep sleep. Most people who suffer with OSA dont go through the normal sleep stages. when you fall asleep the muscles around your upper airway relax but the bottom stays open for air to flow through but if you have OSA the passage collapse and become constricted your breathing will stop for 10 to 30 seconds, some longer and the your blood oxygen level declinesas you cease to breathe,, so your brain triggers a alarm causing arousal and this happens all night long 50 to hundreds of times in the night , and that causes us to be very sleepy during the day..........
Last edited by BrooksWindow on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:39 am

Freya_Nightmist wrote:Will you tell me a disorder wherein the person has a hard time breathing or hard time keeping his/her breathing normal again..?


thats a disorder called obstructive sleep apnea ...I suffer from this and narcolepsy, during my last sleep study it was recorded i stopped breathing 99 to 110 times per hour in a night.....thats awful, and the outcome the next day is just terrible thats no way to live a life
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Restless legs syndrome ( RLS)
Restless leg syndrome is the third most commonly reported sleep disorder, and is one of the causes of severe insomnia. This irritating disorder effects between 10 and 15 % of the population. The creepy crawly feeling makes it impossible to sleep. this also seems to act up when ever a person tries to simply relax
patients have described the feelings as, deep itching- electric ants- bugs up and down their legs- pain, pulling, searing, all together uncomfortable. the only relief is to get up and move around...so here again is lack of healthy sleep. symptoms dont always show up just at bed time it can happen while watching t.v. , on a plane, driving, this is a very frustrating disorder , the more you try to relax the worse it gets. RLS has been seen to run in families. there is finally medication to help with RLS see your doctor if you suffer.
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:17 am

sleepwalking.....although its unusual, it's entirely possible for a person to commit a violent act while sleepwalking, based on studies and sleep research we know that its possible for a person to commit assault, suicide or even murder while in sleep state, May 1989, Kenneth Parks of Toronto Canada, drove 14 miles from his home to his in-laws home and beat his mother in law with a tire iron and stabbed her to death, He also beat his father -in-law until he was unconsciousness he then began cutting the tendons of his hands and showing no pain in presence of police as they would later testify in court, the man claimed to have been asleep the whole time. after hearing testimony from mental health and sleep specialists the jury believed it and they found no motive for the attack--the 23 year old got along well with his in laws and had no history of violence. He did however have an enormous sleep deprivation that had built up due to job stress and gambling problems. He was physically exhausted from playing rugby on a hot humid day. he had a history of sleepwalking, he tried several times to walk out of a 2nd story window. His family history showed sleepwalking ran in the family, his grandfather would fry eggs while sleepwalking...
most people who have never had complex parasomnias find stories like these hard to believe--how could someone do that and not wake up?
it's amazing what we can do in our sleep.
Behavior done while sleepwalking is an example of automatism an act that is not controllable by the person and is done without conscious thought, sleep is by definition not a conscious state, across the country automatism is an allowable defense against crimes including murder.
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:30 am

If you are interested in reading more about these disorders I recommend the book ''SLEEP'' by Carlos H Schenck MD
in this book learn how to overcome insomnia, restless legs syndrome, sleep apnea, sleepwalking, night terrors, sleep related eating disorder, sexomnia, and more.
feel free to share , it helps to find out your not alone with what happens to you at night, maybe we can help each other through some difficult experiences making them easier to overcome ..........your stories are welcome here, :heartpump: and I wish you all happy sleep :dreams:
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Freya_Nightmist » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:47 am

I used to have sleep problems I still have but not severe anymore :)
Free will is but an illusion, Do not pursue such poison!
Profile picture: Drawn by me
Reference: Crophecy's Maria Clara Deviantart
User avatar
Freya_Nightmist
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 am
Location: Land Of Pastel colors

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:22 am

Freya_Nightmist wrote:I used to have sleep problems I still have but not severe anymore :)


what sleep problems do you have? not severe anymore, are you taking medication ? how has it become less severe?
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Freya_Nightmist » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:03 pm

BrooksWindow wrote:
Freya_Nightmist wrote:I used to have sleep problems I still have but not severe anymore :)


what sleep problems do you have? not severe anymore, are you taking medication ? how has it become less severe?


No... No one helped me.. I did overcome it myself my mom knows thats why she gives me milk but that doesnt really help, for the first few days I couldn't sleep because Im thinking too much and worrying too much then after that I couldn't sleep because there is this, umm.. my foot keeps on jerking off even happens when Im awake it gets to the point that I just.. Accept it, I dont care anymore, I also notice that my body is getting tired but Im still fully awake .. I dont care if gets worst anymore, because when I tell this to my sisters, they will start teasing me nicknaming me: Worry Wart :harhar: when I tell this to my mom she would get mad at me because Im thinking and worrying too much like an adult, and that I should sleep more because I have large eye bags but then again .. I mysteriously over come it.. for God-who-knows-what probably because of my consciousness trying to help me, not giving up but right now its not severe I just cant sleep for 1 hour (more or less) .. just toss and turning because Im worrying too much..again sooo.. Yeah, after that I become mysterious, a loner etc etc sooo.. yeah :computer:
Free will is but an illusion, Do not pursue such poison!
Profile picture: Drawn by me
Reference: Crophecy's Maria Clara Deviantart
User avatar
Freya_Nightmist
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 am
Location: Land Of Pastel colors

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Freya_Nightmist wrote:
BrooksWindow wrote:
Freya_Nightmist wrote:I used to have sleep problems I still have but not severe anymore :)


what sleep problems do you have? not severe anymore, are you taking medication ? how has it become less severe?


No... No one helped me.. I did overcome it myself my mom knows thats why she gives me milk but that doesnt really help, for the first few days I couldn't sleep because Im thinking too much and worrying too much then after that I couldn't sleep because there is this, umm.. my foot keeps on jerking off even happens when Im awake it gets to the point that I just.. Accept it, I dont care anymore, I also notice that my body is getting tired but Im still fully awake .. I dont care if gets worst anymore, because when I tell this to my sisters, they will start teasing me nicknaming me: Worry Wart :harhar: when I tell this to my mom she would get mad at me because Im thinking and worrying too much like an adult, and that I should sleep more because I have large eye bags but then again .. I mysteriously over come it.. for God-who-knows-what probably because of my consciousness trying to help me, not giving up but right now its not severe I just cant sleep for 1 hour (more or less) .. just toss and turning because Im worrying too much..again sooo.. Yeah, after that I become mysterious, a loner etc etc sooo.. yeah :computer:


when you say your foot jerks, is it a uncomfortable sensation where if you try to ignore it it gets worse, and you have to get up an move around to relieve the irritation?...and what is keeping you from sleeping more then an hour? pain? or just awake and alert for no reason? if you were to stay up until ,,lets say 3 am. would you sleep soundly then?
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:57 am

SLEEP PARALYSIS
Imagine falling asleep with fully mobile limbs, only to awaken inexplicably paralyzed.
However you try, your unable to move. Not the wiggle of a toe, Nor the stretch of an arm, Or a quiver of a lip
And you have good cause for lip quivering because there's something else in the rom with you-something sinister, something other-worldly
whatever it is, it's definitely not good.
It can loom over you and then pounce on your chest, crushing the breath from you.
Dread splashes over you, flushing you tip to toe. You try hard to stir your stunned nerves into action but it's impossible
you cannot move anything and that thing on your chest is getting closer and closer to cutting off your air supply
Welcome to the exquisite terror of sleep paralysis!

Sleep paralysis is a period of head to toe immobility, except for the eyes. this lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes.
People struck by SP find their breathing more labored, they experience fear,
This feeling enhanced by not being able to move their limbs, difficulty breathing, and the sense that something or someone else is in the room ( often mythically )
characterized as old hags, incubi, succubi, or something supernatural in many forms such as creatures. the creature is usually interpreted as something scary that may want to suffocate the person or suck the breath out of them.
These hallucinations can occur during the transition from wakefulness to sleep ( called hypnagogic hallucinations) people experiencing SP may feel tingling or shaking sensations or brilliant explosions of lights, some feel trapped inside their heads. Reports of seeing tunnels and lights, buzzing ringing sounds, feel like their floating, out of body experience, these are accompanied by fear and rarely fall into blissful state.
Sleep paralysis is probably the most fantastic and lore-ridden of all parasomnias , Sleep paralysis is something special and mysterious , A straddling of the threshold between inner fantasy and outer reality. to be continued
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Freya_Nightmist » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:58 am

BrooksWindow wrote:
Freya_Nightmist wrote:
BrooksWindow wrote:
Freya_Nightmist wrote:I used to have sleep problems I still have but not severe anymore :)


what sleep problems do you have? not severe anymore, are you taking medication ? how has it become less severe?


No... No one helped me.. I did overcome it myself my mom knows thats why she gives me milk but that doesnt really help, for the first few days I couldn't sleep because Im thinking too much and worrying too much then after that I couldn't sleep because there is this, umm.. my foot keeps on jerking off even happens when Im awake it gets to the point that I just.. Accept it, I dont care anymore, I also notice that my body is getting tired but Im still fully awake .. I dont care if gets worst anymore, because when I tell this to my sisters, they will start teasing me nicknaming me: Worry Wart :harhar: when I tell this to my mom she would get mad at me because Im thinking and worrying too much like an adult, and that I should sleep more because I have large eye bags but then again .. I mysteriously over come it.. for God-who-knows-what probably because of my consciousness trying to help me, not giving up but right now its not severe I just cant sleep for 1 hour (more or less) .. just toss and turning because Im worrying too much..again sooo.. Yeah, after that I become mysterious, a loner etc etc sooo.. yeah :computer:
Sry late reply anyway before it was really often at night it hurts most of the time, I dont know how I over come it but right now I feel fine in the last few days I dont jerk or only jerk once or twice
Free will is but an illusion, Do not pursue such poison!
Profile picture: Drawn by me
Reference: Crophecy's Maria Clara Deviantart
User avatar
Freya_Nightmist
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 am
Location: Land Of Pastel colors

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Sauron » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:41 am

^A foot massage maybe? It might work, just relax and let your thoughts and body do their thing and get a massage.
User avatar
Sauron
The Dark Lord
The Dark Lord
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:27 am
Location: Valinor

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:26 pm

yes a massage would be wonderful.......as well as taking a hot bath before bed, this really helps me with my RLS (restless legs syndrom)......even doing some yoga before bed can help
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Freya_Nightmist » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:00 am

Ahhh.. Now you say it I want a foot massage
Free will is but an illusion, Do not pursue such poison!
Profile picture: Drawn by me
Reference: Crophecy's Maria Clara Deviantart
User avatar
Freya_Nightmist
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 am
Location: Land Of Pastel colors

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:15 am

Freya_Nightmist wrote:Ahhh.. Now you say it I want a foot massage


if it is really bothering you sweety that you cannot sleep , have your mom make you an appointment with your Doctor, There are medications that will stop leg and foot pains, 'ReQuip' is one that is awesome!!!
If you truely are suffering from RLS massages won't do the trick, but if they are a sort of growing pain they just might help
Take care :)
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Sleep- Related Binge Eating SRED,
Sleep related eating disorder arises from NREM sleep disorders like sleepwalking and sleep terrors but may happen anytime throughout the night-including during REM sleep. A person may get out of bed to raid the fridge, pantry or whatever they may have reached for and grabbed at times inedible substances . This is an involuntary action tho the persons level of consciousness and their subsequent memory of event varies'. Some people have no memory of these events at all and have to be convinced that they do indeed get up and eat . While others have some awareness but feel no control over their actions.
This may happen several times throughout the night. Studies show this disorder increases in frequency and severity over the years. While in this state the sleepwalker has no hunger pains or thirst even they eat because its an 'urge'.
They may wake in the morning feeling bloated full and not want to eat breakfast. What often disturbs people more than the fact they sleep eat is 'what' they eat, strange combos like raw meat & condiments, Or nonfood items like hand soap & hand lotion. One person ate a buttered cigarettes & salt sandwich.
It is amazing most do not have any idea that they have made the messes they find in the morning, or why there is cake smashed into their pillow. The types of foods people tend to eat during these episodes are high- carbohydrate, heavy foods like brownies, peanut butter, and ice cream. This disorder brings with it the risk of diabetes, high cholesterol, heart disease. obesity, and disregard of food allergies
Last edited by BrooksWindow on Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Freya_Nightmist » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:10 am

And dont forget ... They could eat their pets ... Without knowing it!!
Free will is but an illusion, Do not pursue such poison!
Profile picture: Drawn by me
Reference: Crophecy's Maria Clara Deviantart
User avatar
Freya_Nightmist
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 am
Location: Land Of Pastel colors

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:33 pm

Freya_Nightmist wrote:And dont forget ... They could eat their pets ... Without knowing it!!


You are correct !!!!!!! wouldn't that be horrible, that poor woman :(
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:28 am

:worry: sorry my content is hard to follow in here :computer: ...and its really too bad the availability of the ''edit'' option :banghead: becomes not an option, :harhar: when ''edit'' is clearly needed :pacing: at this moment in time........ :shock:
Last edited by BrooksWindow on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:41 am

BrooksWindow wrote:have you had these happen to you ?


Some people believe that these kinds of sleep paralysis episodes are truly a spiritual entity trying to crush the life from them.
They feel as if there must be some spiritual way to combat what's happening to them, and if it helps to say a prayer the certainly feel free to try
But here are some ideas to prevent or break free of a sleep paralysis attack
change the way you lay down, laying on your back your more likely to have problems, put a tennis ball inside your shirt this prevents your from rolling onto your back while asleep
make small motions, when you discover yourself in a sleep paralysis state or when your eyes are aware of what is happening but you cannot move or make a sound because you are paralyzed, is to concentrate on moving a finger, or your lip, any movement of any part of the body will release the grip of the paralysis, humming or groaning instead of trying for a full word like help, ect ....
Go back to sleep, if your unable to break free from the paralysis and it's scaring you, go back to sleep, your eyes are the only part of your body that you can control in paralysis , so just close them you will fall back asleep.
Learn to relax, try some relaxing yoga before sleep your breathing is important to the quality of sleep you have.
knowledge may be the best defense against the condition that sleep paralysis promotes
knowing that such an experience is not an instance of demonic possession or an act of evil sitting watching us or touching us
It is simply a physical condition based on a badly timed sleep cycle ( specifically the inappropriate intrusion of the normal paralysis of REM sleep into our sleep-wake transitions ) tell yourself there is nothing freakish or uncommon going on here.
As scary as it may be it is not real, it is not dangerous, it can not hurt you.
the mind is a powerful thing with it you can learn to control your dreaming experiences for the better
try to keep a clear head tell yourself there is nothing wrong with your mind you are not going crazy , You are not going to die !, You will live through it, you have before ! Some feel guilt thinking some spirit is punishing them for something they've done, some try to prolong the experience to learn why its happening, what they have done to cause this.
In reality you can learn to control by entering a dream state where your aware that you are dreaming, controlling the content of the dream
You can go anywhere your mind can create to go
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Sauron » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:30 am

BrooksWindow wrote::worry: sorry my content is hard to follow in here :computer:

Actually I can follow it perfectly fine... :D
User avatar
Sauron
The Dark Lord
The Dark Lord
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:27 am
Location: Valinor

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:59 pm

Too Human wrote:
BrooksWindow wrote::worry: sorry my content is hard to follow in here :computer:

Actually I can follow it perfectly fine... :D

good deal......do you know why i can't edit to clean up a bit,, i get a bit ahead of my thoughts..
So how you doing? hopefully you made it home and healing well ! ????
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:46 pm

This is an extraordinary dream report with disordered arousal written by an intelligent and articulate 47 year old woman with OSA and lifelong sleepwalking.
She is a filmmaker who, in the sleep lab, had sleepwalking and other abnormal arousals initiated by OSA events.

In my dream, I receive a set of leather boxes as a gift. They are rich cordovan.
One box contains a folded brown suit, (man's) I see that the suit is too large
And I am disappointed. A tall, blond woman wearing a white rayon jumpsuit and
diamond jewelry marches past us and jumps from the pier, I notice, but i am too
taken with the boxes and their contents, I think, ''why is this brown? I don't wear brown.
There seems to be a party at some back tables and i realize it is very late.
The owner of this Chicago restaurant is entertaining us. We have small dishes of pasta
and caviar. I walk over to watch a television, or is it an aquarium ?
There is a picture of a woman's hand, underwater. The nails are French manicured
painted coral pink. They almost cover the entire screen. The colors--aqua, pink, and green
The seaweed --is brilliant...I notice how well lit and beautifully composed the picture is, and i think---
this is not video format...since the lighting is so bright, I see that the woman must be in shallow water, and
on a sunny day, easily seen from the surface. The hand brushes or perhaps just appears to brush a slug
or a leech from an arm.
I see this open mouth of the woman who had earlier jumped, buried in the sludge of the bottom of the lake.
Her eyes are open.. She is motionless. I am mesmerized by seaweed and strands of hair swaying with the current
I think, This scene is too long... Suddenly I realize that this is not TV nor an aquarium.
This is reality and I am underwater....I realize that I will never get back to the surface in time,,,I awaken gasping for air
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:37 pm

[quote="Freya_Nightmist"]Ahhh.. Now you say it I want a foot massage[/quote[

Check this out ,
Periodic limb movements and rhythmic movement disorder.......
people with obstructive sleep apnea have a higher incidence of periodic limb movements during sleep.
most likely if a person is having these limb movements and they persist, or emerge off and on throughout the night disrupting sleep
studies have established the connection of periodic limb movement to before during or after obstructive sleep apnea events
Once the obstructive sleep apnea is controlled by C-PAP machine, periodic limb movements should also cease.

You asked about the sleep apnea before, has anyone told you that you snore ?
if you have someone stay awake and TAKE NOTES how you sleep,... look for these things;
Loud Snoring,-- ,
holding your breath,--
gasping for air,,--
if you have to make an effort to breathe
And its important to note,
how many times Per hour you stop breathing
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Sauron » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:51 am

BrooksWindow wrote:
Too Human wrote:
BrooksWindow wrote::worry: sorry my content is hard to follow in here :computer:

Actually I can follow it perfectly fine... :D

good deal......do you know why i can't edit to clean up a bit,, i get a bit ahead of my thoughts..
So how you doing? hopefully you made it home and healing well ! ????

I'm fine, healing up quite well actually.

That edit button doesn't show up for me either sometimes.
User avatar
Sauron
The Dark Lord
The Dark Lord
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:27 am
Location: Valinor

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Freya_Nightmist » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:50 am

GUYsss.... I think I got a bruised .. erm.. rib/s.... since last month cause when I breathe deep it hurts sometimes its unbearable ... my front chest hurts ... dont tell my mum .. :worry: :worry: :worry: :worry:
Free will is but an illusion, Do not pursue such poison!
Profile picture: Drawn by me
Reference: Crophecy's Maria Clara Deviantart
User avatar
Freya_Nightmist
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 am
Location: Land Of Pastel colors

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:06 pm

are you feeling better ? what happened to your ribs? did you fall ?
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Freya_Nightmist » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Yeah.. But.. After a series of unfortunate events.. Idk If I'll survive but let us not stray from the topic .. Now.. Where is Sam..?
Free will is but an illusion, Do not pursue such poison!
Profile picture: Drawn by me
Reference: Crophecy's Maria Clara Deviantart
User avatar
Freya_Nightmist
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 am
Location: Land Of Pastel colors

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Sigrid » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:24 pm

BrooksWindow wrote:Unlike what people would assume, a parasomnia- even a violent sleep disorder typically does not signify that a person has psychiatric condition while awake.
Those who exhibit violence during sleep or scream and swear, masturbate, or eat, or wonder into the hallway in their underwear while asleep, generally have no more psychological disorder than those who sleep peacefully.

Sometimes I wake up and find me "touching" myself even when I'm in between the dream world and the concious world I found my own hands in my underwear and elsewhere like I'm touching myself! Is this masturbating myself!? Is this a disorder?? I hate it!!!!! I'm just an immature-like-teen/kid and I'm "touching" myself even when I'm drifting in between these "worlds" and annoying the crap out of me!!
Superman1 wrote:The more a spoilt little kid is denied its cries for attention, the more it will be forced to look at himself.

Ecclesiastes 1: 18 wrote:For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.
User avatar
Sigrid
Shadow
Shadow
 
Posts: 2798
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:14 pm
Location: Planet Earth

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Sigrid » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:56 pm

BrooksWindow wrote:SLEEP PARALYSIS
Imagine falling asleep with fully mobile limbs, only to awaken inexplicably paralyzed.
However you try, your unable to move. Not the wiggle of a toe, Nor the stretch of an arm, Or a quiver of a lip
And you have good cause for lip quivering because there's something else in the rom with you-something sinister, something other-worldly
whatever it is, it's definitely not good.
It can loom over you and then pounce on your chest, crushing the breath from you.
Dread splashes over you, flushing you tip to toe. You try hard to stir your stunned nerves into action but it's impossible
you cannot move anything and that thing on your chest is getting closer and closer to cutting off your air supply
Welcome to the exquisite terror of sleep paralysis!

Sleep paralysis is a period of head to toe immobility, except for the eyes. this lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes.
People struck by SP find their breathing more labored, they experience fear,
This feeling enhanced by not being able to move their limbs, difficulty breathing, and the sense that something or someone else is in the room ( often mythically )
characterized as old hags, incubi, succubi, or something supernatural in many forms such as creatures. the creature is usually interpreted as something scary that may want to suffocate the person or suck the breath out of them.
These hallucinations can occur during the transition from wakefulness to sleep ( called hypnagogic hallucinations) people experiencing SP may feel tingling or shaking sensations or brilliant explosions of lights, some feel trapped inside their heads. Reports of seeing tunnels and lights, buzzing ringing sounds, feel like their floating, out of body experience, these are accompanied by fear and rarely fall into blissful state.
Sleep paralysis is probably the most fantastic and lore-ridden of all parasomnias , Sleep paralysis is something special and mysterious , A straddling of the threshold between inner fantasy and outer reality. to be continued

I have had sleep paralysis before almost a straight night and I found out it could be because I sleep on my back but I sleep on my back for a long time and it just happen today!? At 1st I thought it was a demon sitting on me and I tried to open my eyes but before I knew it my eyes are closed and it feels so heavy and I "dreamed"that I was lying paralized and unable to breathe much because of sleep paralysis in the darkness and it was raining outside and it sounds like people drinking and laughing at me until I yelled out to God in my head for help and almost instantly I opened my eyes and I often sleep holding the rosary but that was before after I and some random people in this forum prayed for me after a while but isnt it ODD that if your not scared the paralysis seems to be weaker and its also odd that it mostly it happens when I sleep above our bunk bed so thats why I dont want to sleep up there even if the episode is finnished and my sisters would say "that is not sleep paralysis", "Your not even sure its sleep paralysis" etc etc. Right FREYA NIGHTMIST?
Superman1 wrote:The more a spoilt little kid is denied its cries for attention, the more it will be forced to look at himself.

Ecclesiastes 1: 18 wrote:For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.
User avatar
Sigrid
Shadow
Shadow
 
Posts: 2798
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:14 pm
Location: Planet Earth

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi, It sounds to me that you may have obstructive sleep apnea, There is things you can do to try to prevent yourself from rolling onto your back while you sleep,
put a tennis ball inside of a sock, and sew in to the inside back of a t-shirt. You can prop yourself against a wall and pillows and have someone tuck you snuggly under the covers .
I don't believe in the idea of the spiritual world being part of sleep troubles, I do not think they have anything to do with each other, there is much research to that can show how these things happen and why. i believe our imaginations are where the vivid hallucinations are born and our conciousness which does not ever seem to rest is active while the body has to rest. Sleep paralysis is very disturbing when its happening, being held captive inside a body that will not do what your telling it to do adding to the fact you know your not breathing,!!!! scarey stuff!! If you feel it helps to ask GOD for help then you do that, but you said yourself it's not that scarey when you know in your mind your dreaming and that is where you can learn to turn your dreams around and lucid dream therefore take charge of what happens in your dreams. I had a sleep paralysis happen one night i will never forget, i was laying there suddenly aware i was dreaming, i saw myself laying face down on the bed which i was, i was suddenly pulled violently down through my mattress down down down to the bottom of what seemed to be water i could see the lightness fading above me into the darkness, and i was aware i was unable to breathe and i said to myself ''this is it, your dying''..
and i said ''Goodbye'' to myself. And when i opened my eyes the next morning i was on the phone to a clinic and had my first sleep study!! Now i sleep with a C-PAP machine that blows moist air through a tube to a mask i wear at night and that helps 100% with Sleep parlysis and Obstructive sleep apnea, Since you have episodes pretty regularly research shows its much likely to continue, The reason why is the airways are collapsing while your sleeping preventing air from getting in or out of the body. so while your not breathing you become partly lucid and sleep paralysis sets in, so the brain sounds an alarm and it arouses you enough to stir and begin breathing again, However this usually happens over and over while we sleep. And that just the start of a domino effect of parasomnias. Sleep masterbation is common so don't feel weird !! This is also sign that you could become a sleepwalker, and your family should be aware of that and extra attention given to making sure you dont hurt yourself if you do. I wish happy sleep for you friend, Travel well, Brooks
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby BrooksWindow » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:53 pm

Freya_Nightmist wrote:Yeah.. But.. After a series of unfortunate events.. Idk If I'll survive but let us not stray from the topic .. Now.. Where is Sam..?

who is sam Freya???
User avatar
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 am

Re: insomnia,RLS,sleep apnea,night terrorrs,sexomnia,and mor

Postby Sigrid » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:10 am

What kind of apnea?
Superman1 wrote:The more a spoilt little kid is denied its cries for attention, the more it will be forced to look at himself.

Ecclesiastes 1: 18 wrote:For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.
User avatar
Sigrid
Shadow
Shadow
 
Posts: 2798
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:14 pm
Location: Planet Earth

Next

Return to Sleeping Problems And Disorders

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Shared Bottom Border