Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Am I experiencing sleep paralysis?

Discuss sleep problems, insomnia, sleeping aids/medications, sleep apnea and tips on a better night's sleep. Do you or your mate snore? Do you sleep walk or sleep talk? Do you grind your teeth? Talk about your experiences here.

Am I experiencing sleep paralysis?

Postby Soozasaurus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:09 am

There are times when I sleep just fine but as soon as I wake up in the morning and decide to sleep for another hour, it's all hell from there; I experience cold sweats, and a strange feeling in my body that disturbes me! This feeling is nothing I can feel in my waking life, it makes me sweat, I feel as if my bones are shaking throughout my entire body and when I wake up I'm dizzy and have a headache and it leaves me shaken for the rest of the day. During the time all this happens to me I'm having such vivid dreams that I wake up confused. It's unlike the times I've experienced sleep paralysis, where I feel constricted and panic because I can't move. Can anyone help me understand what is happening to me?!
Soozasaurus
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Am I experiencing sleep paralysis?

Postby BrooksWindow » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:35 pm

Confusional arousals are intense periods of mental confusion when someone is awakened from deep sleep or when they try to wake up in the morning.
You may experience, disorientation to time and place, mental dullness, slowed speech and delayed reactions.
Some people do some pretty strange things when they are waking up with what they call the 'Grip of confusional arousal''.....
What is confusional arousal ?, It is from delta sleep stage . when you find this happening lay down and concentrate on breathing .......in.......out.......in.......out.........and as you relax this phase of transitioning from asleep to awake should have passed..........
Travel Well Friend
Brooks
http://stanfordhospital.org/clinicsmedServices/clinics/sleep/sleep_disorders/pediatric-disorders.html
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby eternaldreamer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:10 pm

I have had situations with sleep paralysis in which I could not breathe. This brings about a panic situation. It turned out that it was caused by an entity that looked like a ghost. A young white female. She was sucking energy from my throat. I told her, "I hope you enjoyed the drink because now I am going to beat your @ss'". She immediately paralyzed me where I couldn't breathe. While panicking I remembered an ancient name for god, HU. It is pronounced hue or hugh. When I started singing that,
she split. She was what I believe is called a sucubus. These entities plagued early monks who lived solitary lives. You allow them in your space by having sexual fantasies.
This was no hallucination. I was as conscious as I am now. Remember the word HU. It has bailed me out more than once.
eternaldreamer
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby BrooksWindow » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:07 pm

Sleep paralysis is a period of head to toe immobility, except for the eyes. this lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes.
People struck by SP find their breathing more labored, they experience fear,
This feeling enhanced by not being able to move their limbs, difficulty breathing, and the sense that something or someone else is in the room ( often mythically )
characterized as old hags, incubi, succubi, or something supernatural in many forms such as creatures. the creature is usually interpreted as something scary that may want to suffocate the person or suck the breath out of them.
These hallucinations can occur during the transition from wakefulness to sleep ( called hypnagogic hallucinations) people experiencing SP may feel tingling or shaking sensations or brilliant explosions of lights, some feel trapped inside their heads. Reports of seeing tunnels and lights, buzzing ringing sounds, feel like their floating, out of body experience, these are accompanied by fear and rarely fall into blissful state.
Sleep paralysis is probably the most fantastic and lore-ridden of all parasomnias , Sleep paralysis is something special and mysterious , A straddling of the threshold between inner fantasy and outer reality.
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby geekgirl101 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:31 pm

I've had sleep paralysis a couple of times and it's a pretty frightening experience. It feels like the whole body is in a shaking spasm and you try to move but you can't. The heart rate can increase too making you panic and hyperventilate. You may see parts of the room but they're blurry because your eyes aren't adjusting to the fact that you've woken up. Because of this you may see blurry images that don't look right, like shapes of deformed bodies staring at you and reaching out or doing things to you, or bright lights from a small crack in the curtain that can be perceived as a big light shining into your face or a long tunnel with a light at the end of it, and you could still be dreaming because you haven't fully awaken so things might be happening as if you're seeing them that it comes across as real. You could also be pulled back into a recurring nightmare that you wanted to awake from in the first place and wanting to scream but being unable to. When you do wake up it can make you feel uneasy and violated for hours and not wanting to go back to sleep again, but you may still fall back asleep after waking and have to battle to stay awake. It really is a horrible feeling, although having sympathetic hugs from someone helps a lot.

Sleep paralysis could be linked to a lot of cases where people believe they've witnessed alien abduction and experimentation on themselves whilst they were sleeping, or mythical or paranormal beings usually of a dark nature intending to harm the sleeper.
geekgirl101
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby BrooksWindow » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:28 pm

during our sleep stages we are supposed to be paralyzed so that we don't act out our dreams every time we sleep , but from time to time this timing between our brain and body is off a bit causing our minds to awaken while our body is still asleep and paralyzed the only thing you have control over is your eyes, so if you find yourself in this state BLINK...... Blinking should stop the paralysis
travel well :)
BrooksWindow
Dream Warrior
Dream Warrior

Postby Kerrshay » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:34 pm

Might be sleep paralysis as what you describes sounds like it. Maybe you should see a doctor about this, to get a better peace of mind about it and possibly some help.

https://menstrual-cycle-calculator.com/ ... pregnancy/
Kerrshay
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Return to Sleeping Problems And Disorders