Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

I Want to Stop having Lucid Dreams

Discuss sleep problems, insomnia, sleeping aids/medications, sleep apnea and tips on a better night's sleep. Do you or your mate snore? Do you sleep walk or sleep talk? Do you grind your teeth? Talk about your experiences here.

I Want to Stop having Lucid Dreams

Postby KhantiMetta » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Not sure if I should have put this under the lucid dream secion or if this one is fine, but anyway I’ve been having what some strange lucid dreams, and I don’t want to have them anymore. Everyone always says that lucid dreams are so much fun and do a lot to have them on purpose, but for some reason I’ve had three that were not fun at all and have left me terrified of falling back asleep. So I’m hoping to get some explanation as to why I’m having them, and if there is a way to stop them. Each time I’ve written the dreams down in detail after waking up and I’ll try to summarize each briefly.

The first was about a year ago. I woke up within the dream in my ex’s apartment, and everything in the apartment was exactly as it was in real life. And it felt so real, I didn’t know I was dreaming until I looked out the window and outside was completely white. So for a while I contemplated the fact that I was dreaming. Usually as soon as I realize I’m dreaming I wake up, but I didn’t, so I got scared, wondering that this was what it was like to be in a coma. It went on for a while with me trying to wake up until I started sobbing and that’s when I finally jolted up out of bed.

The second dream happened about a month ago. It started off as a mild nightmare and again I woke up within the dream. I wanted to go tell my boyfriend about the dream, and since he usually fell asleep downstairs after coming home from work, I started going down the stairs only to see myself staring back up at me, and I screamed and woke up again, still within the dream. This cycle of thinking I was finally actually awake and then waking up again happened a few more times before it finally ended. I even tried really hard to make sure I was awake each time, focusing on the way the floor felt beneath my feet and flexing the muscles in my legs. I was only sure I was awake that time because there was white noise and the dreams had been silent. I don’t know why but after this dream I cried all morning and couldn’t seem to calm down.

The third dream happened this morning. Again it began with me “waking up.” I lid in bed for a bit and thought of something (I can’t remember what it was) that made me laugh so hard that I woke up yet again, but after that the dream went back to the normal strangeness of my usually dreams. Later though, I found one of our four kittens with her eyes filled with a strange white and bloody goo. I quickly rinsed the stuff from her eyes but it didn’t really work. I just told myself I was probably dreaming and that it would be ok. But then the same thing started happening to the other kittens, and that’s when I started panicking. I was so desperate to wake up I did everything I could think of. I slammed my hands against tables and threw myself over a balcony to no avail. Finally I found my boyfriend asleep in bed and woke him up. I asked him to please wake me up, but he just looked at me sadly and said “I can’t” and hugged me. Then I just cried for a long time until I finally woke up from the dream.

I can’t explain why I feel so shaken by these dreams, but I always feel awful afterwards. I’ve always had slightly lucid dreams before, but not totally lucid. Usually I just have thoughts like “gee, this is a weird dream” as I’m dreaming but that’s usually the extent of it. A theory could be that it was due to lack of sleep, but the third dream is the only one I had after going a couple days without enough sleep. I don’t know what else could cause them, so hopefully someone has some ideas and suggestions to make them stop, or at least give me some tips on how to successfully wake up when I want to.
KhantiMetta
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: I Want to Stop having Lucid Dreams

Postby Sheena » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:15 pm

If the desire is true and not just a bid for attention, stop recording them.
Sheena
Dream Guru
Dream Guru

Return to Sleeping Problems And Disorders