Dictionary:   A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K      M     N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U     V    W    X    Y    Z

home   .   dream info   .   common dreams  dream dictionary  dream bank   site map   discussion forum  contact us

Continuously waking up throughout the night

Discuss sleep problems, insomnia, sleeping aids/medications, sleep apnea and tips on a better night's sleep. Do you or your mate snore? Do you sleep walk or sleep talk? Do you grind your teeth? Talk about your experiences here.

Postby chloepv » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:05 pm

For the past 5 years or so I have been waking up from my sleep no matter what. My doctor hasn't done much for me except suggest tea and Melatonin which I have tried (they don't help at all). The Melatonin tablets help me fall asleep faster but nothing seems to help me sleep through a night. Something I find interesting is when I sleep out at a friends house I find myself not waking up in the night as often so I don't know if that has anything to do with my problem. Anyway I would like to know if anyone else is having this annoying problem and if anyone has advice. Thank you!
-Chloe
chloepv
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Re: Continuously waking up throughout the night

Postby sezra » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:28 pm

you're not alone, Im the same.

I've suffered with insomnia for a while now. It comes and goes, but i've found no real way to manage it, besides medication and alcohol, but thats a route you dont want to go down.

My problem is that im also a really light sleeper, so when I do finally nod off, the slightest noise wakes me. Like I said, it comes and goes. Take this last week for example, I've had maybe 3 hrs sleep maximum. dont get me wrong, im tired... im exhausted but I went to bed at 9 last night and was still wide awake at 4. I had to be up to get a bus for uni at 6 so I didnt get any sleep in the end.

From experience, I think its hereditary as my mum is the same. I also find that the less you sleep, the more you want to, which in turn makes you anxious about going to bed because you're thinking youre not going to sleep again, which makes it harder to switch off. Its a vicious cycle.

I exercise 2-3 days a week and Im at uni 4 days a week so its not like im sat at home doing nothing. drs are useless as all they want to do is drug you, which is no good as you develop a dependency. I've no real advise for you unfortunatly, but you're certainly not alone. ON the plus side, my super long days are really productive!

EDIT: to answer your question about why do you sleep better at a friends house. Maybe you feel safe? maybe having company puts you at ease? certainly something to explore.
sezra
Dream Child
Dream Child

Postby jcavalieri » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:45 pm

I too wake up numerous times during the night. My doctor has prescribed different medications for me, which all help me fall asleep, but to date, nothing has helped me STAY asleep. Even when I don't remember waking up I get up in the morning feeling exhausted. I've been tested for apnea and don't have it. It's miserable, but you are NOT alone.
jcavalieri
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby asrun » Sun May 24, 2015 3:14 am

I've been experiencing the same my entire life.

I was originally diagnosed with baby terrors at about 6 months old and wasn't able to sleep a whole night until about the age of 6. I would have nightmares every night even multiple times, my poor parents were at their wits end, of course as a child I would always go to them in the middle of the night and wake them up.

At the age of 23 I'm still having nightmares, granted less frequently but it seems to come in waves, around exams, times of insecurity (recently I've been looking for a summer job without much success :( ) or when I have financial problems. That is I am worse when I have troubles in my life.

Usually I get 7-8 hours of sleep but when I have nightmares I am only sleeping about 2-3 hours at a time and sometimes I'm unable to fall asleep again, especially if the nightmares are really bad I'll wake up in a puddle of sweat, rapid heart beat and short of breath.

This is really impairing my quality of life, not to mention I also have hypothyroidism (low thyroid function) making me extra sleepy and I also suffer from depression, though I'm doing quite well on anti-depressants.

Idk, stress, depression, hormone imbalance, some sort of disorder since childhood... It's quite a cocktail.
If I were you I'd look at all aspects of your life that are possible stressors.

What has worked best for me when I am at my worst are basic stress relieving tactics such as turning off all electronics about an hour before you want to go to sleep. I also like to dim the lights and light some candles, I especially like vanilla scented or even incense as well, reading or doing something with my significant other just like chatting or playing chess or card games, take time to tuck my dog into bed.. . something like that. I also have a yoga, meditation CDs that I put on my ipod that I listen to when I'm falling asleep sometimes.

Exercise is also important! If your muscles are weak from training it's easier to fall asleep, not to mention the endorphin release and release of tension amongst other benefits. (plus hot showers can also be really relaxing before bed time )

I hope you found this useful or at least gave you some ideas :)
asrun
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby Elmoly123 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:47 pm

i too have the same problem . i am a licensed massage therapist and what helps me is i buy lavender oil and put it in a spray bottle and spray it on my pillow . Diet wise i dont eat after 6 and dont drink any caffeniated drink after 6 . I have also learned that you shouldnt do anything in your bedroom besides sleep . So if you ever lay in bed to read or watch tv it is actually known to keep you up when you actually lay down to go to sleep. Hope this helps :)
Elmoly123
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby mangochan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:36 am

I have the very same problem as yours.

I sleep in a really weird pattern. I sometimes sleep only for half an hour to two hours to just 5-7. It's a rarity for me to sleep at around 8-10.
Whenever I'm sick I always try to sleep early but I wake up at around 1-2 because I can't breathe because of sinuses, colds or flu.
I mainly am a night owl but I wake up very early (around 5-7) and I can't go back to sleep again after waking up. I rarely ever sleep till 10am though my brain functions best at night.
I'm mainly like this because of the sleeping habits since I was 11 (since I like waking up to sound of dead silence at around 1-3) and usually I ended up this way too because of the nature of my bipolar. I tried sleeping tablets, sleepytime, lavender or chamomile tea before bed but never worked on me unless I'm extremely tired.
I used to be on mirtazapine for depression but it gave me nightmares all the time about suicide.
I barely sleep in someone else's house unless my body clock is the same as theirs and I get extra warmth from their body, usually a boyfriend as long as they don't snore into my ear.
mangochan
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Postby otherworlds » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:49 am

It has always been normal for me to go to sleep, wake up and fall asleep again. For me, it will happen on most nights.
otherworlds
Dream Seeker
Dream Seeker

Postby AaronRar » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:31 pm

quick fix for me when i had hormone stopping meds would you believe it was talc powder. I plastered it where i got soaked the most during the night and the best sleep after.made me feel so much for comfy and not waking up with cold damp, seemed to make a big difference.
AaronRar
DM Lurker
DM Lurker

Return to Sleeping Problems And Disorders